Rich Arons on Stu's Show on November 16, 2016

Discussion in 'The Warner Bros. Club' started by John Pannozzi, Oct 20, 2016.

1. John Pannozzi

John Pannozzi Still Gritty after all these years

I just got an email from Stu Shostak that Silver Age WB director Rich Arons will appear on his internet radio program Stu's Show, on Wednesday, November 16, at 7:00 PM Eastern Time (4:00 PM Pacific Time).

The show can be listened to at http://www.stusshow.com/ and will be available for purchase as a digital download afterwards.

Stu and his guests usually take questions from listens via email, so I'd advise getting in your questions.

I get the feeling Peter and Val are going to be displeased.:frylock:

2. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Thanks for the heads up, it's on my calendar. Loved his work on the silver age WB shows. I'll see if I can come up with a question to submit too.

3. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

A reminder that tonight is the interview. I've sent my question - it's not too late to send yours!

4. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

Tidbits from the interview:
    -His most recent work was on Wabbit and Bunnicula, and a certain project he can't yet name.
    -Has met Clampett and Freleng, and took animation classes from Ben Washam.
    -Rich did uncredited inbetween animation on "The Lord of the Rings", one of his first young adult assignments. He also worked at Hanna-Barbera when he was really young.
    -Thought Filmation was a great place to work in terms of how they treated their employees. Not so much the work itself.
    -Speaking of Filmation, he had a funny anecdote about working on He-Man. He was handed a folder that should've had (IIRC) layouts in it... and all that was inside was a sticky note telling him to go find some old footage from the archives to re-use in the new episode. Gotta love cost-cutting Filmation!
    -Recalls a time when he went to Wang in Taiwan and saw a giant photo of all the employees... with Bill Hanna & Joe Barbera in the front. :D
    -Got the Tiny Toons job by knowing Eddie Fitzgerald from their work on Beany & Cecil. They didn't mention him by name, but I believe he replaced Gerard Baldwin.
    -Was 29 when he first directed on TTA. While it was intimidating, at the same time it wasn't because he had been assistant directing for a while and knew the process.
    -You need to direct 13 episodes to be eligible for an Emmy. Rich took his name off one of the TTA episodes so he only had 12, missing out. (which one did he take his name off of, I wonder?)
    -Rich designed the Goodfeathers on A!
    -Decided which A! cartoons were paired with each other late in the process.
    -Wrote many songs for TTA but didn't do much in that department for A!. Producing kept him busy.
    -Was given a month off from his usual duties to work on the A! intro sequence, so nothing could distract him. Designed Bill Clinton in the A! intro sequence.
    -Biker Mice from Mars (2007) was a tough job for Rich. Hard to juggle action and comedy, and nobody likes to draw motorcycles. And apparently it didn't even air in the U.S.
    -Would love to work on a Silver Age WB revival show but doesn't call the shots.
    -Spielberg had more input at the beginning of TTA before getting back to making movies, but was heavily involved at the start. Rich met him and later went to work for him at Dreamworks.
    -Rich is fond of TTA's "Test Stressed" that he directed, especially the pink elephants parody.
    -Directed the Plucky/Hamton subplot in HISMV. I think I knew that, but it's good to have confirmation. Was shown on a theater screen... once... on the WB lot.

Haha yes, he read my question! And we can now say for sure that TMS was NOT a co-producer on TTA and A!. They were, in his own words, "work-for-hire". Thanks, Rich, for officially putting that ridiculous claim to bed!

#4 SB20xx, Nov 16, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2016