Remember the MyCage comic strip (campaign on Patreon)

Discussion in 'Comic Book Culture' started by dth1971, May 27, 2015.

1. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

Anyone remember the 2007-2010 My Cage comic strip done by Ed Power and Melissa DeJesus? It was an animal comic strip that only ran in about 50 newspapers and reruns of the strip run on gocomics.com every day. The creators of My Cage are planning to relaunch the My Cage comic strip as a webcomic with a Patreon campaign (Patreon is similar to Kickstarter). To support the strip via Patreon, go to www.patreon.com/mycage for details.

2. kid rabbit

kid rabbit Active Member

my cage as a huge cult following first a return in gocomics then the web series atop the fourth wall special

3. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

I wonder if they planned to use the AT4W publicity as a springboard to do this, because the timing seems almost deliberate.

Making the comic a Patreon exclusive is risky, however. Not as many people will pay for something they can't see. Generally Patreon is for paying for stuff you've already enjoyed, not purchasing things you have yet to read.

4. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

What do you mean by "AT4W"?

5. edpower

edpower New Member

Hey, although the official announcement will be Monday, Jube 6th on My Cage Classics Comic Strip on GoComics.com , I saw ths post while 'vanity googling' and thought I'd pop in. :)

"I wonder if they planned to use the AT4W publicity as a springboard to do this, because the timing seems almost deliberate."

Actually we had decided not to do patreon as not to endanger being fondly remembered by the readers who liked the strip, saw AT4W (which shocked us) and decided, "Oh, what the heck...let's do it before we change our mind again.

"Making the comic a Patreon exclusive is risky, however. Not as many people will pay for something they can't see. Generally Patreon is for paying for stuff you've already enjoyed, not purchasing things you have yet to read."

We're going to do most public, some exclusive. Maybe we'll throw up a page too. We're new at this. We're still working it out. :)

"What do you mean by "AT4W"?"

'Atop The Fourth Wall' is a comic review vlog. Usually they review notoriously bad comic books, but a patreon donor requested he do 'My Cage', which inadvertantly led to the relaunch.

6. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

edpower: Welcome to ToonZone, and you mean Monday, June 1st. or Monday, June 8th.; not Monday, Jube 6! (By the way, June 6, 2015 is a Saturday)

7. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

8. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

Atop the 4th Wall. Linkara's show on Channel Awesome.

9. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

By the way, how do you like my new TOONZONE FORUM AVATAR of Bridget T. Dog from My Cage to tie in with the Patreon revival?

And 2 weeks after the new My Cage strip is run on Patreon, it appears Mondays on gocomics.cm mixed in with the reruns of the My Cage strip from 2007-2010.

10. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

One recent My Cage Patreon supported strip that stumped me dealt with Norm daydreaming or not at the break room microwave with the BEEP sounds while Bridget was 6 weeks pregnant (Don't know if it could have been 6 months pregnant). Melissa DeJesus told me the Bridget at 6 weeks pregnant was a mini flashback.

If only there was more My Cage Patreon support to see the birth of Norm and Bridget's first child faster sometime in 2016 if not the end of 2015 - visit www.patreon.com/mycage for details.

11. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

I just recently, I uploaded a new Bridget T. Dog avatar for my ToonZone profile.

12. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

While I am awaiting the birth of Norm and Bridget's child on Patreon My Cage, there's a recent scenerio to save Squishy the Amoeba.