Rank the Animated Spider-Man TV Series' Into Categories!

• We have upgraded to Xenforo 2. We've decided to open the forums back up while we configure the theme and plugins. Thanks for your patience.

Latest News

Jun 10, 2016
Ratings
517 11
Just like the title says; rank the Spidey series' into the categories! What are the categories you may ask? Well, they are:

- Art/Animation: Character art, art within an episode, backgrounds, animation fluidity, CGI (CGI for it's time. For example, the 90's series may have worse CGI then the current series because it was made in the 90s, so that has to be taken into consideration) and ect.

- Storylines/Writing: The writing and dynamics within the entire series and each and every episode, character interactions, story arcs, and etc.

- Stories From the Comics: The stories, characters, and etc don't all come straight out of the TV writers heads now do they? They all came from a specific set(s) of comics throughout the era of Spider-Man. Rank how well each series as a whole does this. I.e. Spidey '67's first season was mainly based off the original Ditko/Lee comics. How well did that series take those original comic book elements?

I'll do my list for Art/Animation as an example:

1. The Spectacular Spider-Man
2. Spider-Man: The Animated Series
3. Ultimate Spider-Man
4. Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends
5. Spider-Man (1981).
6. Spider-Man Unlimited
7. Spider-Man (2017).
8. Spider-Man: The New Animated Series
9. Spider-Man (1967).

NOTE: You all don't have to do all three categories if you don't want to, just make sure your lists/rankings are in Spoiler/Spoiler format so they don't take too much post space/page space please.

Also, if you want to, you can also explain your decisions for your rankings. Your choice! Enjoy!

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Ratings
2,273 4
Framingham, MA
I haven't seen all of the Spider-Man series but I'll rank the ones I have seen.

Art / Animation.

2. Marvel's Spider-Man
3. Ultimate Spider-Man
4. Spider-Man: The New Animated Series
5. Spider-Man: The Animated Series
6. Spider-Man Unlimited.

Storyline / Writing

1. Ultimate Spider-Man
2. Marvel's Spider-Man
3. The Spectacular Spider-Man
4. Spider-Man Unlimited
5. Spider-Man: The New Animated Series
6. Spider-Man: The Animated Series

Stories based from the comics.

I don't read the comics, so I have no clue about that one.

Just for fun, I'll rank the series

1. Ultimate Spider-Man
2. Marvel's Spider-Man
3. The Spectacular Spider-Man
4. Spider-Man: The Animated Series
5. Spider-Man Unlimited
6. Spider-Man: The New Animated Series

As for the spoiler tags I don't feel comfortable using them for anything but spoilers. If people use them for other reasons, people are going to start accidentally clicking on tags with spoilers in them. So I will only use them for their original intent.

This post doesn't take up too much space anyways. And even if it did, people could just choose not to read it. Toon Zone does not have a official policy on too long posts. If it did, I'd be in trouble.

Last edited:

Freddy

Aug 1, 2012
Ratings
Art/Animation

1. Ultimate Spider-Man
2. The Spectacular Spider-Man
3. Spider-Man Unlimited
4. Spider-Man: The Animated Series
5. Spider-Man (2017)
6. Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends
7. Spider-Man: The New Animated Series
8. Spider-Man (1981)
9. Spider-Man (1967)

NOTE! I'm not ranking the current show in either of following categories, since I haven't watched a single episode of it.

Storylines/Writing

3. Spider-Man: The New Animated Series
3. Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends
4. Spider-Man (1981)
5. Spider-Man Unlimited
6. Spider-Man (1967)/Ultimate Spider-Man

Stories From the Comics

Took some major liberties, sure, but also recreated many iconic images and, most importantly, captured the spirit and themes of the comics.

Was more heavily influenced by contemporary Spider-Man comics, in terms of both tone and style, than Stan Lee's era or Spider-Man's history as a whole, not to mention some weird changes, but the comic influences are still there.

3. Spider-Man (1967)
Probably would have ranked higher than TAS, if later seasons didn't go completely bonkers.

4. Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends/Spider-Man (1981)
I'm not sure I can say that either of them is a clear victor over the other. Both of them did some major deviations, but I can't claim that they are completely in-name-only either or anything like that.

5. Ultimate Spider-Man
Probably would have shared no. 4 spot with SMHAF and 1981, if its take on Peter Paker wasn't so wrong.

6. Spider-Man: The New Animated Series

7. Spider-Man Unlimited

Trevor

Jun 10, 2009
Ratings
Ontario, Canada
Art/Animation
1. Spider-Man (1994)
2. Spider-Man 1967
3. Spider-Man 5000
4. Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends
5. Spider-Msn Unlimited
6. Ultimate Spider-Man
7 Spider-Man (2003?)
8. Spectacular Spider-Man

Storylines/Writing

1. Spider-Man 1967
2. Spider-Man 5000
3. Spider-Man & his Amazing Friends
4. Spider-Man (1994)
5. Spider-Man (2003?)
6. Spider-Man Unlimited
7. Ultimate Spider-Man
8. Spectacular Spider-Man

Spider-Man (1994) is at #4 in Writing is because I’m not that much of a fan of Season long arcs. I prefer standalone episodes because you don’t need to know what goes on in the other episodes.