"Ralph Breaks the Internet: Wreck-It Ralph 2" Pre-Release News & Discussion (Spoilers)

• We have upgraded to Xenforo 2. We've decided to open the forums back up while we configure the theme and plugins. Thanks for your patience.

Latest News

ToonJay723

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Ratings
1,487 13
New York
Awesome. I loved the first film, and I'm surprised Rich Moore is directing this just two years after Zootopia.

According to this picture, it looks like it will be about something about online websites.
CmNpkWYUoAEx_Fc.jpg

GWOtaku

Staff member
Reporter
Feb 21, 2003
Ratings
750 6
Arlington, VA
wiki.toonzone.net
Here's an article on what little we know so far:

https://www.toonzone.net/disney-announces-wreck-ralph-2-reschedules-gigantic/

The March 9, 2018 release for Wreck-It Ralph 2 bumps the schedule for Disney's Gigantic, which will now come out November 21 that year instead. So far as I know, the next confirmed release date for Disney feature animation at this time is November 25, 2020 (Frozen 2?)

Last edited:

Ed Liu

Frog of Thunder
Staff member
Reporter
Sep 6, 2001
Ratings
316 1
Princeton Jct, NJ
www.edwick.com
GWOtaku's article has been updated with Disney's official press release, which doesn't contain much more information than what was already out there. I did update the accompanying artwork with a higher-res version that was provided by Disney.

Eagerly looking forward to what's coming up next.

FWIW, this was the project Rich Moore was discussing when he said he was looking forward to working with the characters in his next movie when I interviewed him and Byron Howard about Zootopia.

Tommy Lawson

Staff member
May 23, 2002
Ratings
Las Vegas, NV
Well that was totally unexpected. As much as I love Wreck It Ralph, I'm kind of leery on this. When I think of "Disney" and "sequels" I can only think of the DTV dreck from the '90's and 2000's.
That was from a different time, due in large part to Eisner's influence. They created sequels for a lot of things that seemed unnecessary. The Hunchback of Notre Dame II really stands out there. Here, I can't imagine Lasseter even letting them start the groundwork for production if they did not have a good enough story that would not be a carbon copy of the original.

GWOtaku

Staff member
Reporter
Feb 21, 2003
Ratings
750 6
Arlington, VA
wiki.toonzone.net
The DTV sequels of the past were mostly noticeable step downs from their theatrical counterparts, from the production itself to rather pedestrian story ideas. It's a different story when the full weight of the theatrical animation team is being thrown behind a project, and when substantial time passes between one title and its eventual sequel. Today a sequel may or may not be better than its predecessor, but the difference now vs then is that either way the effort going into each project is going to be apparent and substantial. As it has to be, because the stakes are a lot bigger too considering the scale of each project and the investment going into it - to say nothing of Disney's meticulously reconstructed reputation being on the line every time.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
May 18, 2006
Ratings
897 1
East Northport
You also have to remember the Disney DTV sequels were also films originally not ever intended for theaters. Some got a slight bump in animation quality to have a small theatrical release (like Return to Neverland or Jungle Book 2) but they're still considered Disneytoons movies and not official animated Disney flicks. This however clearly is a full on sequel not only made with the original creative staff but also made for theaters. Ergo it's not comparable to those movies and more stuff like Rescuers Down Under, Fantasia 2000 and the 2011 Winnie the Pooh movie which are the only true "sequels" (I guess people also count The Three Caballeros being a sequel to Saludos Amigos but I don't since continuation of just one segment idea isn't the same as the other sequels) that are part of the actual Animated movie Disney canon. I think though the backlash of the DTVs is a big reason we really didn't get really any traditional sequels until now with this and Frozen 2.

And I admit I'm still not that big a fan of Wreck It Ralph (same with Zootopia the other Rich More directed Disney movie) as I feel that movie wasn't too funny nor did I care as much for the moral. And yeah the whole premise didn't seem like it was used as well as it could but honestly these are all issues that could be fixed by a sequel, especially if it's focus is tackling something more core to the ideals of gaming. Plus I'm sure since the big complaint the last time around was not having enough scenes of actual video game characters and bits and a lot of those being in the trailers they can't pull that trick a second time.

Sep 25, 2014
Ratings
Naples, Italy
Really liked the first film.
The whole "Internet culture" concept is quite interesting and extremely fun, potentially speaking (there's a high "meme" risk though, and I mean badly-used memes).

I just wish it's not *just* about Internet but also various videogames, whether they're going to be cameos or not.

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Ratings
10,912 45
Sherman Oaks CA
As happy as I am about finally getting an official sequel to Wreck-it-Ralph, I'm a little iffy on the premise.

Not because I don't expect the same level of humor and fun exploration and examination of the internet and its various facets, there's certainly a lot to mine there, but I was kinda hoping they'd just stick to video games :sweat:.

Dudley

Staff member
Aug 10, 2003
Ratings
2,524 28
East Coast of USA
www.dtoons.com
Out of all the movies that are part of Disney's new Renaissance they're going through at the moment, Wreck-It Ralph is my favorite. Though, like others, I'm skeptical of them making sequels. Not just because of the past DTV movies, but because the classic Disney animated canon, there have only been two so far. Though I admire and understand upholding Disney's legacy, I also understand that things change, and you're not really obligated to stick to traditions. What's most important is that the film's are at the utmost highest quality, in both art and storytelling.
Besides, when it came to Wreck-It Ralph, it was either this or an animated series.
In fact, I'm surprised this is getting a sequel first. This movie made less than Tangled, Frozen, Big Hero 6, and Zootopia.

Dr.Pepper

Sep 10, 2006
Ratings
1,257 7
In A House
That was from a different time, due in large part to Eisner's influence. They created sequels for a lot of things that seemed unnecessary. The Hunchback of Notre Dame II really stands out there. Here, I can't imagine Lasseter even letting them start the groundwork for production if they did not have a good enough story that would not be a carbon copy of the original.
Yeah I know. I'm still more than willing to give this movie a chance, but I'm still leery.

ToonJay723

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Ratings
1,487 13
New York
WDAS has never made a bad sequel so I'm not worried about this. The direct to video films were made by another studio so I don't consider them canon.

The Rescuere's Down Under, Fantasia 2000, and Winnie the Pooh were all great, so I expect this to be great too. Haven't seen The Three Caballeros though.

jaylop97

Staff member
Oct 5, 2014
Ratings
5,064 36 1
Austin, Texas
Out of most Disney movies I always had a feeling Wreck It Ralph would of gotten a sequel, great to see that considered the first movie did good and being based around Video Games, it managed to do good compared to other movies of the subject.

Mr. Daniel

Back (but just occasionally)
Sep 25, 2015
Ratings
231 2
I'll be honest. I'm not that comfortable when it comes to Disney Animation movie sequels, because the first thing that pops up in my mind is the Direct to DVD Disney sequels (shutters). But this could an interesting premise for a sequel.

Aug 21, 2011
Ratings
I'll say that I'm torn on this. I really liked the original, and there was definitely room for a sequel. But I have loved Disney's recent original projects- Tangled, Wreck-It Ralph, Frozen, Big Hero 6, Zootopia- and am heavily anticipating Moana, and I don't want Disney proper to end up like Pixar- stuck churning out sequels to their films because they're guaranteed sells. With this and Frozen 2 already confirmed, and chances of both a Big Hero 6 sequel and a Zootopia sequel pretty high, I just don't want to see Disney get caught up in the sequel rage.

I was also really looking forward to Gigantic, and am disappointed it's been pushed back to the end of 2018. I hope we get more news on it soon.

On a more positive note though, I'm glad it means we'll get two Disney Feature Animated films in the same year. I would look more kindly on Disney's sequel push if they were to balance it in a similar manner, with a sequel coming out the same year as an original project too.