Proposal: Merge Marvel Animation into Disney Television Animation

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by Nexonius, Feb 13, 2018 at 8:48 PM.

1. Nexonius

Nexonius Ten, count em', ten years!

It's getting apparent that the Disney name is meaning much more than Mickey, princesses, and the like. It's well known that ABC, Marvel, ESPN, Pixar, Lucasfilm, and the like are under the company. I am very well noted that branding each sister company separately is the only way to keep the main flagship Disney name for general audiences, but over the years it has changed to where PG13 movies were released under the Disney banner, and majority of the fandoms and society at least know that Marvel is under Disney. I've also read about the recent blogs from Steve Hulett talking about the Marvel shows (except Spider-Man to my knowledge) ongoing. Plus, 21st Century Fox's properties (Fox Animation and Blue Sky, need I say more?) are currently being acquired by Disney on top of that. There'd be no way to keep the branding separate for so long since it'll eventually become cluttered, and jobs will be either merged or lost.

At Warner Bros. Animation, the DC side is still churning out critically acclaimed DTVs, shows, miniseries, and specials. At Marvel? It's been at least mixed overall over the years with the several studios they've had on their own, and Marvel Studios is part of Walt Disney Studios as of now. With Big Hero 6 technically a Marvel comic, I think it could work. Maybe remove Mickey from the logo or call it Marvel Television Animation, like how Disney used Jetix as if it was its own studio.

Thoughts?

• Like Like x 4
  2. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

That’s not a bad idea. Have the people who oversee Disney TVA now handle Marvel shows seems like a good cost cutting business move. I assume shows will then have the Disney TVA logo followed by just the simple “Marvel” logo. I don’t see why they need to get rid of Mickey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I could see this being something that happens with the possible restructuring of Marvel Animation that seems to be going on right now.

As far as pro's and cons, without harping on the Marvel cartoons, I generally see a bit more creativity, budget, and focus placed on Disney's in-house productions that I think could benefit the Marvel cartoons if utilized well :).

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  4. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

It's probably going to happen soon anyways. I can't think of another reason why all of the current shows would be canceled at once.

5. Magmaster12

Magmaster12 Well-Known Member

It's not a bad idea. I imagine one of the main reasons Marvel animation would restructure would be because of declining toy sales with the closure of Toy's R Us' being evidence of that. I imagine the Disney Animation shows have been doing better because they have a better understanding of what an audience wants and is willing to buy.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Nexonius

I only say that because of the DTVs probably being PG-13. Also, the upcoming Deadpool series.

7. bigdaddy313

bigdaddy313 Well-Known Member

This is what I have being saying, merge studios so we can have DC animation quality in a Marvel cartoon you know what I am saying.

8. TheLemsterPju

TheLemsterPju Well-Known Member

To be fair, you weren't being constructive with your points unlike the OP; who went into more detail and gave fair points.

9. bigdaddy313

bigdaddy313 Well-Known Member

I have being saying for the past 4 years now Marvel animation visual quality have always being bad, but I have also said that Marvel should close the studio and integrate into Disney Television Animation studio which last time I checked also means merging.

Man just imaging Avengers Assemble could have easily being Young Justice quality man and I have being waiting for this for Marvel for a very long time.

USM may have being one thing but man did it look good especially season 1

10. thisguyisnotcool

thisguyisnotcool Active Member

I think it's a solid direction to take. Might even already be happening with Marvel Rising

11. TheLemsterPju

TheLemsterPju Well-Known Member

Yeah I'm hoping for a better animation style after this "phase" of Marvel Animation ends.

Better yet, Marvel characters crossing over with Big Hero 6. :)

• Like Like x 3
  12. Nexonius

Something always got me....Marvel usually has great talent that came from WBA, CN, etc (Eric Radomski, Mitch Schauer, Paul Dini, Man of Action, and several other great directors, boarders, writers) among other companies, writing the best material, directing, producing, animating the best show possible, yet to be shoehorned to a studio that not only has an uncertain future, but one confirmed show to still be in production while everything else from Marvel is thriving.

Disney TVA has the most employees stationed next to DreamWorks ATV, and Marvel certainly needs to be fully integrated into the animation studio. It needs better budgets, less meddling, and more creative freedom.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  13. SweetShop209

SweetShop209 Well-Known Member

The Big Hero 6 cartoon seems to be a step in the right direction given that, just like its movie, Marvel has very little involvement in making it, and it's produced specifically by Disney. Plus, it's developed by a crew that worked on an acclaimed Disney show (Kim Possible) , and has never worked on a Marvel property before hand. Plus, the Baymax Returns pilot movie was written by Sharon Flynn and Kaiman Palayeh. While the former previously worked on a Dreamsworks show (All Hail King Julien), the latter worked on a Disney show (Penn Zero).

• Like Like x 1
  14. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

^ So you're saying Marvel shows are better when the crew never worked on Marvel beforehand :p

I can't say I disagree. I can count all their good animated series on one hand... This idea desperately sounds nice to me.

15. SweetShop209

SweetShop209 Well-Known Member

I'm not saying Marvel can't handle their own properties since I do like many of their Disney works, but the executive meddling is more intensified than the pre-Disney/Marvel merger era. I'd say it stems from how Marvel had very few shows pre-merger that were both critically and commercially successful , and of course you have the executive meddling of the 1994 and 2003 SpiderMan cartoons, or how some shows just faded into obscurity.

16. Nexonius

What I don't understand is why the animated side doesn't get the almost free reign such as the TV units. Why do the animated shows get treated as less? It reminds me of DC, except it's the opposite.