"Preacher" Season One Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Live-Action Movies and Television' started by Space Cadet, May 22, 2016.

1. Space Cadet

Space Cadet I'M SWEATING
    Staff Member Moderator

[​IMG][​IMG]

The pilot episode of AMC newest series makes it's world television debut tonight at 10:00 PM Eastern. Based off a long-running comic book series by Garth Ennis, the show has been in development for over a decade, but it wasn't until Seth Rogan and Evan Goldberg got their clout behind it did any momentum start. Tonight's episode is 90 minutes long.

Episode 1.01: "Pilot"

#1 Space Cadet, May 22, 2016
    Last edited: May 22, 2016
  2. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

I'll be watching this show. Pilot sold me. But I will say I haven't read the comic it is based on. I'm more watching it because of Ruth Negga and Dominic Cooper who I've enjoyed in the MCU stugg.

The umbrella was a nice touch.

3. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

Hmmm. I'm a little underwhelmed/disappointed with this debut, and what the show actually appears to be/about. I recently saw an online article where Rogen and Goldberg wanted to do a LEGIT FAITHFUL adaptation. Why didn't they just do that? This just appears to be another show where our hero (or anti-hero) has a troubled mysterious past (which we assume is criminal/villainous), he lays low, then when a specific event happens, goes out to make up for his past ways to help others by potentially redeeming himself. Maybe doing that is a little more exciting than a show about a man who is LITERALLY looking for god. But that's been done before, a man literally looking for god hasn't. Although, it's also obvious that since the characters say they don't hear god talk back to them, I can only assume the Preacher and gang will literally look for god at some point.

Given the characters' backgrounds in the show, their actions, and overall violence, I can easily see the audience the show is trying to reach. An audience that will be easily pleased/impressed with anything as long as the violence continues and our hero remains an anti-hero with the clichéd mysterious past (which makes him "cool". in the same sense as how Batman is considered "cool").

4. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Take a long hard look at the protagonists in past AMC programs. Jesse is just another in a long line of basically the same kind of male leads from Mad Men or Breaking Bad or Walking Dead, imo. I think they might have compromised a little and gave AMC who they wanted.

5. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

I watched it, wasn't impressed. And, as noted, there were some flaws.

For one, having read some early issues of the series, which ran for 5 1/2 years, "Arseface" got that way after a botched suicide attempt. Since they couldn't come up with anything that would prompt him to do something 20-odd years after the original stories were written, they presented him as already disfigured. Not only that, but while they used subtitles, he was clearly audible, kind of like some of those reality shows where they also use subtitles in case the viewers can't hear what's being said under the boom mics.

Funny spot took a poke at Tom Cruise, by blowing him up the same way the African preacher was blown up. Well, it's really a poke at Scientology, but still.

New episodes resume June 5, as they are repeating the opener next Sunday due to the holiday.

Not on board with Tulip, who was a blonde white woman originally, flipped to African-American, but that's par for the course now. As I wrote in another thread. They are casting with the casual, non-comics-reading viewers in mind.

6. ashleesmach1

ashleesmach1 Banned

Sorry to ask this but what is Preacher about?, I have never read the comics. a short synopsis is ok, thanks!

7. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

The main character, Jesse Custer, is a preacher in a small Texas town and gets possessed by supernatural being (won't say origins because it's a big spoiler) and becomes technically the most powerful person in the universe. He goes traveling across the USA in search of God, literally, who left Heaven (because of well, it's a spoiler). Jesse teams up with his ex, Tulip O'Hare, and a drunkard Irish vampire named Cassidy. Jesse realizes he can make people do as he says or something like that and discovers more about his powers as time goes on. And, well, in their travels, encounter a lot of crazy stuff - angels, serial killers, secret societies, nutjobs, and rednecks.

EDIT: Clip from this Sunday's new episode "See"

#7 Yojimbo, Jun 2, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
  8. Space Cadet

Space Cadet I'M SWEATING
    Staff Member Moderator

[​IMG][​IMG]

A new episode airs tonight at 9:00 PM Eastern.

Episode 1.02: "See"

9. Space Cadet

Space Cadet I'M SWEATING
    Staff Member Moderator

[​IMG][​IMG]

Episode 1.03: "The Possibilities"

10. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

That fight with the two vampire hunters in the church and the chain saw -- hoo boy, that was a fun scene to watch.

As for this week, it was fun to see Tulip fool the cop whereas Jesse was using his new powers on Cassidy then that guy that swindled him and Tulip. Cassidy's 3 theories about Jesse were hilarious.

11. Space Cadet

Space Cadet I'M SWEATING
    Staff Member Moderator

[​IMG][​IMG]

Episode 1.04: "Monster Swamp"

12. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Wait, was Quincannon possessed/or a demon in that flashback with Jesse and his dad?

And those two guys are angels on a rogue mission. Hmm. Didn't see that coming. But once I saw the Heaven phone, I knew how the episode was going to end.

13. Space Cadet

Space Cadet I'M SWEATING
    Staff Member Moderator

[​IMG][​IMG]

Episode 1.05: "South Will Rise Again"

14. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

15. jaylop97

jaylop97 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

The first season is really good I got to say, it is nice to see another season is in production, I have seen a couple of episodes and for me they are decent.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Space Cadet

Space Cadet I'M SWEATING
    Staff Member Moderator

[​IMG][​IMG]

Episode 1.06: "Sundowner"

17. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

See ya later, Eugene. :(

18. Space Cadet

Space Cadet I'M SWEATING
    Staff Member Moderator

[​IMG][​IMG]

Episode 1.07: "He Gone"

19. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

And Team Custer is disbanded. Geez.

20. Space Cadet

Space Cadet I'M SWEATING
    Staff Member Moderator

[​IMG][​IMG]

Episode 1.08: "El Valero"