Pokemon 2018 Film - Attack on Titan Wit Studio Paints Next Movie

• We have upgraded to Xenforo 2. We've decided to open the forums back up while we configure the theme and plugins. Thanks for your patience.

Latest News

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
Ratings
In a Dream World
I think that information on the movie's site did confirm that this is a continuation of the previous movie. I'm pretty happy about this. I wanted a continuation of I Choose You, but I really didn't think we would get it. Since it was an anniversary celebration, it would have been easy to write it off as a one time deal and go back to how they normally handle movies, but I'm glad that they didn't. I love I Choose You a lot and continuing with that universe could be really interesting.

As far as not getting a SM movie goes, I'm actually okay with that. The Ultra Beasts and Legendary Pokemon would be better suited for the main series rather than being used as antagonists for the movies. There's also the number of characters. As neat as it would be to see Ash with his new friends in a movie adventure, they had a hard time giving any of his friends something to work with in most of the other movies, so the chances are pretty good that his friends in SM would fade into the background. Plus, they probably thought that they needed to do something different with the movies. The past few movies haven't really done that well in theaters, so maybe they thought that they needed to do something different to make more people interested in them. It does make it more interesting to speculate on what could happen in the movies. I don't know if they're just doing this for this generation or they'll keep this movie series going on longer than that, but that probably depends on what plans they have for the movie's storyline and especially how well they do financially. I'm pretty sure that the previous movie did at least generally better than the XY movies in Japanese theaters.

The teaser trailer was pretty nice. I don't know why they changed Ash's design when this is a continuation of the previous movie, but maybe it has to do with the studio helping them out. Either way, I do like Ash's design. It kind of makes me think of a mixture between his original design and his current SM design. I don't know who the girl could be, but she certainly has an interesting design. Given the scenery and especially the music at the end, Lugia could be featured in this movie to some extent. The previous movie made the Rainbow Wing a key plot point, so I wonder if they'd want to do something with the Silver Wing too.

jaylop97

Staff member
Oct 5, 2014
Ratings
5,064 36 1
Austin, Texas
It surprises me that they are avoiding a Sun and Moon movie, but regardless I am really interested in seeing where this movie goes, I really think that it does have a unique idea of being a sequel of the previous movie, if anything I think the movies are more deserving of their own separation from the show given how revisiting older moments in Pokemon does have some unique possibilities.

CyberCubed

Sep 25, 2004
Ratings
32 1
NY
If this is a loose remake of Movie 2, it's pretty funny this is the second time in a row Misty/Brock (or Tracey) were removed and replaced by new characters in eras of the anime they were in. The new girl is speculated to be a new design for Melody from Movie 2.

As for the SM characters likely not getting any movies now, it doesn't really matter. Most of Ash's companions barely do anything in the movies anyway. Brock was in like 12 movies and he barely did anything in any of them outside of battle Molly for like 2 minutes in Movie 3. Outside of the slight focus on a select few, Ash always plays the hero in the movies anyway.

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
Ratings
In a Dream World
If this is a loose remake of Movie 2, it's pretty funny this is the second time in a row Misty/Brock (or Tracey) were removed and replaced by new characters in eras of the anime they were in. The new girl is speculated to be a new design for Melody from Movie 2.
I'm not sure if it would matter that much to people if they were replaced with new characters. Brock wasn't in the second movie, outside of a brief cameo. The main reason people were upset with the previous movie was because a lot of fans wanted Misty and Brock to be featured in a new movie adventure for the anime's anniversary. Not to mention people felt like they were forgotten once the new characters were revealed. Since Misty and Brock appeared in SM, I think that helped make some fans happy, so any backlash for new character will probably be minimal. If the new girl is this universe's version of Melody, that would be pretty interesting.

CyberCubed said:
As for the SM characters likely not getting any movies now, it doesn't really matter. Most of Ash's companions barely do anything in the movies anyway. Brock was in like 12 movies and he barely did anything in any of them outside of battle Molly for like 2 minutes in Movie 3. Outside of the slight focus on a select few, Ash always plays the hero in the movies anyway.
That's true. There are some rare cases where his friends play a more prominent role, but the movies generally focus on Ash. That's one reason why I don't really mind the idea of the SM characters not being in their own movies. It's kind of rough for big fans of SM and its cast, but the chances are pretty excellent that they'd end up fading into the background while Ash got to be the hero again. It isn't a huge loss and I greatly prefer seeing the movies doing something different. After the previous movie, I wanted them to keep going with this alternate universe concept and they seem to be doing just that.

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
Ratings
In a Dream World
That trailer was pretty nice. Having a large cast is different for one of the movies, but it could work out nicely if they're able to make all of the characters stand out and feel unique. I still like Ash's new outfit and design for the movie, although I wonder what other Pokemon he'll have besides Pikachu. Charizard seems likely given he still had it at the end of the previous movie, but I don't know if they'd want him to have any other Pokemon.

The reveal for Zeraora would have been a lot cooler if it wasn't leaked months ago. That's not a new issue, but it's kind of a shame when the other new Ultra Beasts for US/UM were pretty big surprises because they weren't in the code for Sun/Moon. The official artwork for Zeraora does look pretty cool though and it has a pretty solid design too.

CyberCubed

Sep 25, 2004
Ratings
32 1
NY
Yajima the director of the XY series is the director of this movie, which is why it looks more shonen and why the movie characters look like slight variations on Serena, Bonnie and Clemont. I like this Ash design and wouldn't mind if they use it for the Gen 8 saga, it's much better than his current SM design.

As for the new cast, while I guess some are disappointed the SM group will now seemingly never get a movie, I wonder if its for the best. Ash's companions generally don't do anything in the movies, by the time we got to the mid-DP era movies it became obvious nothing was going to change. Ash was always going to be the hero and his companions would be lucky if they get to bond with a legendary but that's it. It's kind of ironic that May's role in Movie 9, which came out in 2006 and now 12+ years ago, was the last time they tried to center a movie around another character for most of it, then still went back to Ash. Dawn had a decent role in the DP movies but it was just similar to her co-star status in the series rather than any movie focusing on her.

Given this is a Johto themed movie, it'd actually might have been interesting if this group was our cast in the original Johto saga. Certainly would have beat Misty/Brock's roles in Johto I'd say. Obviously these characters didn't exist 18 years ago, but it's interesting to think about since Johto could have had a new cast rather than going back to the original trio.

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
Ratings
In a Dream World
Yajima the director of the XY series is the director of this movie, which is why it looks more shonen and why the movie characters look like slight variations on Serena, Bonnie and Clemont. I like this Ash design and wouldn't mind if they use it for the Gen 8 saga, it's much better than his current SM design.
None of the characters in the movie look that similar to Serena, Clemont and Bonnie. The closest might be the little girl who will be friends with Zeraora based on the trailer, but even then, she doesn't really look like Bonnie. I'm sure that they'll give Ash a different design for the next series instead of reusing this one. I actually like his SM design quite a bit. I know people didn't like it at first, but I really like it. It fits nicely with the more laid back tone of SM and I think his upbeat attitude works nicely with the design, especially when his facial expressions show off his happiness quite well.

CyberCubed said:
As for the new cast, while I guess some are disappointed the SM group will now seemingly never get a movie, I wonder if its for the best. Ash's companions generally don't do anything in the movies, by the time we got to the mid-DP era movies it became obvious nothing was going to change. Ash was always going to be the hero and his companions would be lucky if they get to bond with a legendary but that's it. It's kind of ironic that May's role in Movie 9, which came out in 2006 and now 12+ years ago, was the last time they tried to center a movie around another character for most of it, then still went back to Ash. Dawn had a decent role in the DP movies but it was just similar to her co-star status in the series rather than any movie focusing on her.
I think it also helps to make the movies more distinct from the anime. One of the reasons why I loved I Choose You was because they fully embraced that this was an AU retelling of Ash's beginning journey. It was refreshing and made the movie much more unique and interesting to me than if they just had a retelling of the original series. Plus, while I have enjoyed most of the recent movies, I think that the formula of Ash and his friends running into the new Legendary Pokemon of the year was getting a bit too stale. Making the movies set in their own continuity focused on Ash instead of trying to fit in within the anime's continuity gives them a bit more creative freedom. I can still see why fans would want to see the SM cast in a movie, but considering that Ash would still be the main center of attention, it might be for the best that they just keep going in the AU direction for the movies.

CyberCubed said:
Given this is a Johto themed movie, it'd actually might have been interesting if this group was our cast in the original Johto saga. Certainly would have beat Misty/Brock's roles in Johto I'd say. Obviously these characters didn't exist 18 years ago, but it's interesting to think about since Johto could have had a new cast rather than going back to the original trio.
While this movie does feature a lot of Johto Pokemon, I don't know if they're actually in Johto. If they didn't want to have Misty and Brock featured in the 20th anniversary movie, then I don't think that they'd be interested in bringing them back for this one. I still think it was a good idea to not feature Misty and Brock in last year's movie and having them appear in SM was better, but I'm just saying that they wouldn't be interested in bringing them back for this movie.

As far as having a new cast for the Johto arc itself, they really didn't have a lot of other options. Tracey obviously wouldn't stick around after he got a chance to meet Professor Oak. There wasn't a new female character to replace Misty with. Kris didn't show up until Crystal and that was long into the Johto arc. They probably wanted to bring Brock back when they realized his design wasn't problematic like Jynx. I guess they could have chosen another male and female Gym Leaders for Ash to travel with, but I'm not sure if any of them would be marketable enough as main characters and I'm not sure if Misty would have had a reason to leave the cast by the end of the Orange Island arc. Not to mention I'm not sure if having a new cast would have been an improvement or a fitting way to end the original series. I don't think that having the original trio back for Johto was one of the problems of that arc.

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
Ratings
In a Dream World
That was a pretty nice trailer. Most of the voices for the new characters sound fine. I like the dub title for the movie too. It's a nice nod to the second movie. I've seen some complaints about how it makes the movie sound like a remake of the second movie instead, but just going by the trailer, they're clearly different movies.

They're also going to put the movie in a limited theatrical run during November and December. I wasn't expecting that. It made sense with last year's movie. It was the anime's 20th anniversary movie and a different take on Ash's first journey would be appeal to a lot of people, so I didn't think that would happen again. I usually have good luck with the limited theatrical releases, so I'll hopefully be able to see this movie in theaters too.