"Pig Goat Banana Cricket" Series Talkback

Discussion in 'The Nicktoons Forum' started by kanc, Jun 18, 2015.

1. I.R. Shokew

I.R. Shokew DISGRACED and Rooting ONLY for Underdogs

TBH, I'm not a fan of Ren & Stimpy, either - I don't know what's worse, though: This show being forgettable and too messed up for my liking, or R&S for giving me nightmares and unpleasant thoughts that mentally scar me to this very day.

2. Toon4Thought

Toon4Thought Giving a slightly closer look.

Yeah, I wasn't too impressed by the show's premiere either.

Trombone77 suggested that this may be a copy of TTG (the very thing I don't want to become commonplace), but I really only see that in the concept of having four unique characters goof off with mostly stupid humor, and even that isn't exactly a new thing either. Granted, that's not a good element to copy, but I'd much rather have them imitate just that than have them jab their detractors.

The visuals are definitely the main thing people are going to talk about, and as for my opinion... hoo boy, am I torn on them. Yes, there is sometimes gratuitous gross out, there's a little too much detail going on everywhere, and the color scheme gives off a rather unpleasant, murky vibe. However, if you look at the animation from a technical standpoint... it's actually very good. Each character has a very distinct design, and their movements flow very smoothly with a ton of great swipe smears for good measure. Now, I honestly doubt most kids will be into this kind of art style, and for most people like us, it's obviously going to be an acquired taste at best. But I have to give credit where it's due and say the visuals are at least more watchable than they could've been.

Most of the rest feels like Nick just threw in a bunch of their other shows (both old and new) into this blender. I can best describe it as a bizarre mix between Sanjay and Craig, Spongebob, and Catdog, among a couple of other possible candidates that currently slip my mind. A lot of the humor is very surreal, but because of the murky colors and how this episode mainly focused on the city in peril, the surrealness doesn't feel all that fun. They also throw in some modern references just because, and for whatever reason they tend to repeat a lot of the gags without really making them running ones. It's not without it's good jokes, but most of them just fall flat to me. The plot to this episode started out alright I guess, but it became a mess as it went along, often jumping from one point to another with various levels of pacing, making some subplots get a bit lost along the way.

The characters are a mixed bag. Mantis and Goat have some clear potential, Banana is just eh to me, but Pig honestly annoyed me with his stupidity, at least in here (though I will admit, his thoughts saying "Do touch it" was pretty funny in just how bluntly wrong it was). There's always at least one stupid main character in most Nicktoons (not just the new ones), but Pig feels very flat as that, like we see practically nothing else to him. However, I will say that whenever the characters get together and are able to show their friendship, it does feel genuinely nice and I'd definitely enjoy the show more if it chooses to focus more on that later on, and I will give credit that each of them has a very distinctive personality to them but are still able to feel like friends toward each other, which can open up some good interaction if they aren't separated like they unfortunately were here.

I can't say I enjoyed this or that I found it good, but I can't say I personally hated this show either, since I don't really see anything truly heinous in there. I feel if they just kept the four main characters closer together, make the plots more coherent, and tone down the disturbing stuff, this could actually have a bit of a shot. I'll probably watch the next episode or two to see if there are any improvements, but for now, yeah this one didn't do anything for me. And I honestly don't see this becoming a very big hit with the kids, either.

• Winner Winner x 2
    #42 Toon4Thought, Jul 18, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2015
  3. Radical

Radical The Face of Evil & Epicness!!!!!

I so love Pig Goat Banana Cricket along with Harvey Beaks on the best fantastic funny new Nicktoons more better than the overused The Fairly OddParents/SpongeBob SquarePants.The bizarre animation/character designs were pretty great.Their plot/storylines are pretty sweet/wacky/enjoyable involving four funny roommates having bizarre crazy adventures, the first episode was funny/sweet, I'll enjoy the next funny great crazy episodes.

Both Pig, Goat, Banana, and Cricket were all great funny likable enjoyable major protagonists which their funny chemistries and the crazy situations they get into were so hilarious.They all got sweet bizarre designs.

Banana is my favorite funny selfish jerkhole protagonist whose jerkiness was enjoyable for me after enjoying the previous awesome jerkhole protagonists Rigby, Louise Belcher, Red Hulk, Gumball/Darwin/Anais, Grunkle Stan, Pizza Steve, Amethyst, and Golan/Dylan, hehehe.

Both the evil warthog pirate captain, the evil Headhunter badgers, Time Donut & Lipstick Horse, and Evil Banana are my favorite awesome crazy bizarre villains.I'll enjoy the next awesome crazy villains/antagonists further episodes.

#43 Radical, Jul 18, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
  4. 90'sKid

90'sKid Well-Known Member

I know right? Why cant characters just look "normal" any more? Why does every one of them have to have some over exaggerated feature?

5. PapaGreg

PapaGreg Peppermint tea for me

Because its a cartoon thats why

• Winner Winner x 3
  6. 90'sKid

but not every cartoon was like that, the trend really started around the time of Adventure Time.

• Old Old x 1
  7. PapaGreg

PapaGreg Peppermint tea for me

So My gym partner was a monkey, Ed edd eddy, Billy and Mandy, Spongebob(season 4-present), Johnny Bravo season 2-3, Squirrel Boys and others I'm forgetting came after Adventure Time.

• Winner Winner x 2
  8. I.R. Shokew

This - otherwise every cartoon would have been like Doug, or even more mundane / boring. We don't need that kind of stuff, anymore, if we're going to appeal to more than just the target demographic.

But we could stand to make less stupid stuff - when the kids grow up and learn how to use the internet to discuss shows from their childhood - it ain't gonna look pretty, judging by the mixed-to-negative outlook of this generation alone, going by most of Nick's fare on right now.

#48 I.R. Shokew, Jul 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2015
  9. Toon4Thought

Toon4Thought Giving a slightly closer look.

Regular Show and Bojack Horseman has normal-looking human characters. Granted, the main characters of both shows are anthro, but still.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. SaneMan

SaneMan Well-Known Member

Trust me, it'll just be the same

Do I really need to remind you of all the hatred the shows in the early 00s received, even tho now they are considered gems?

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. I.R. Shokew

Wow - I forget things sometimes, but I shouldn't have forgotten that! Because of how true it is, unless you're a unabashed fan of the 90's, however...

12. DeanBurrito25

DeanBurrito25 Well-Known Member

I watched both episodes and right now the show is just...alright. I think it has the potential to be funnier, but it was just okay. The first episode was pretty rough around the edges (both in animation and in humor), but the second episode fared better on both accounts. I do enjoy how the show uses transition cards shouting the characters' names when it focuses on their particular subplot, that's a nice touch. And I still think the art style is great to look at, so there's not much more to expand on there.

All I hope is that the show sticks with one animation style/studio because that was kind of distracting between episodes. The second episode was hand drawn, but the first episode was blatantly Flash. It wasn't horrendous, but it did leave me thinking, "Really?" Seeing the original Pig Goat Banana Mantis cartoon and then watching the first episode is just disappointing. Then again that might have just been pilot episode jitters and not reflective of the rest of the season, so I guess we will see. That said, I love how lavishly animated the intro is. It was practically full animation. (Minor note, don't quote me on this, but I'm 99.9% sure the sneezing monster voice was Brian Posehn. It sounded too much like him.)

So...I'll keep watching to see if it gets better. I really want to like this show, and for the most part it seems to have the potential to become a hit.

13. Pac-Attack

Pac-Attack Here if I feel like it

It was meh, not bad, but not good. The animation is really good and detailed I'll give it that (though "High Five!" was Flash from the looks of things).

14. rockorockorocko

rockorockorocko Well-Known Member

Still think this is a cartoon Nick can be proud of. It brings something different visually and storytelling-wise than the other shows.

The current SBSP-TMNT-SJC-BW-RI-HB-PGBC-FOP lineup is Nick's best overall animation lineup in quite some time. Sure, it doesn't even seem like Nick has that many cartoons... but I'd take this over the SBSP, SBSP clones, Hartman, and Dreamworks properties Nick had a few years back.

• Like Like x 1
  15. 90'sKid

Its too much gross-out for me, I saw the still of the characters riding the snot wave and thought "this show isn't for me".

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. I.R. Shokew

To be fair - I can't disagree with that last sentence of yours, despite the fact that I don't like this show or most others that aren't HB. Still, a better lineup to toss around than that last sentence of yours, that's for sure. I can only hope it does get better for those who are actually enjoying the show enough so far. I wish you actual fans the best from here.

17. rockorockorocko

rockorockorocko Well-Known Member

This is the best Nick has had in quite some time and I'm gonna stick with that. Far from perfect, but still great.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. SaneMan

SaneMan Well-Known Member

So just watched the first two episodes, and honestly, I liked what I saw

This is the most Nick Nickelodeon show since the 90s
    It was like watching something from the 90s, the old glory days of Ren & Stimpy and Rocko's Modern Life

It is obvious this show just wants to do slapstick, rather than tell some grand story, but that's not a bad thing

I've already said it several times and I'll say it again - I love this show's art-style
    The character designs and the backgrounds are just gorgeous to look at

I will say that I prefer the sophisticated sarcastic Mantis from the pilot to the love-struck nerd Cricket we got in the show,but that's just nitpicking
    The characters basically boil down to idiot, hot-head, jerk, and the above mentioned love-struck nerd, which would be a problem if the show was character driven, but works perfect for a pure slapstick series, as these extreme personalities help driving the already irrational plot forwards by their irrational actions

The gross-out humor would bother me in any other show, but it is so over-the-top here that it just feels right, kinda like with Ren & Stimpy, Rocko's Modern Life, Invader ZIM, or Cow & Chicken

I liked the way the show's narrative is handled
    a series of absurd, constantly escalating events, shown at various points from the perspectives of the various characters, each of whom is doing their own thing

Also, this show may very well have my second favorite opening out of all the current Nick shows
    The first one is obviously Harvey Beaks

• Like Like x 3
  19. Insomnia

Insomnia Member

So after watching the first episode "Fudge-pocalypse" I already feel like the full half hour format might not work for this show it was pretty boring and didn't feel cohesive enough to sustain 22 minutes. Maybe this will be something they will improve upon later, I hope so because I like the idea of this show but even then I don't think that will save the show from how basic the humor is, there arnt really any jokes or gags we haven't seen or heard before it all felt very cookie cutter. Kinda like I was watching every other nick show at once.
    I will say the animation is nice and fluid and it's cool to see a new cartoon that's isn't super sleek and clean looking like everything else nowadays, i am dissapointed that it looks like they will be switching to flash animation on and off because the flash doesn't look so good in the clips I saw.

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. Mostezli

Mostezli Corroborating with EVIL

I enjoyed Fudge-pocalypse more than PGBC High-Five, though Banana's Park Ranger segment redeemed the otherwise blandness of the ep. I enjoyed the concept of seeing a story from 4 different perspectives the most.

Pig, of all the characters who've attempted it in recent years,
    reminds me of Billy from Grim Adventures of...
    I too miss "sophisticated sarcastic Mantis", but I don't mind the current portrayal. He's still the straight man of the group, his insane infatuation for Goat, notwithstanding. I do find it suspect that it's always an outside force that twists his benevolent or fun inventions into the world-shattering conflict of the episode.
    Banana feels like Pizza Steve, just a tad more accurate
    to this generation's concept of "chilling out".
    Goat could probably use a bit more characterization beyond trying to find an audience for her music and questioning Cricket's antics and being the hot-head of the group and being another voice of reason at times...never mind.

Random running gag that works: Rastafarian rat hits the screen

For the moment based on 2 ep, it's an Uncle Grandpa-tier show, so...it really only needs better jokes (better writing overall, tbqh) and a tad more focused subplots, closer to Fudge-pocalypse at the very least.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1