Orphan Shows The Hub Should Adopt

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by BonnieB21:-), Aug 29, 2011.

1. Zorak Masaki

Zorak Masaki Well-Known Member

How about Daria? It may be hard to get the rights from Viacom, but it would definitely have an audience, and it was pretty much PG-13 content-wise from what i remember (there was zero connection to Beavis and Butthead, so you dont have to worry about that show's influence creeping into the show).

2. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

Daria is a Viacom property, and Viacom is notoriously stingy when it comes to loaning out their shows. Also, The Hub doesn't seem to be at all interested in acquiring an animated series that doesn't have a toy line or isn't aimed at the toy buying kid set. Personally, I think that a program block of cartoons aimed at older audiences on The Hub would be a good idea, but I don't see it happening anytime soon.

3. Darkwing 626

Darkwing 626 Member

I've said it before I'll say it again,

BEAST WARS

It even makes sense from a marketing perspective what with Rhinox, Waspinator and Rattrap getting figures in classics. Just maybe kids might like to know about the figures on the shelves

4. StellaMagic

StellaMagic Active Member

I'm with you. Besides, Dinobot is a popular character.

5. Cartoon Ruler

Cartoon Ruler Senior Member

How about Charlie Brown? Maybe Hasbro could contact ABC to acquire all the Peanuts specials/movies and The Charlie Brown & Snoopy Show (though given how it only received 18 episodes, it would have to air on the weekends). ABC could still air the specials, but considering that it only airs them once a year, The Hub can repeat them as much as they wanted if they were to get the digital cable rights to them.

6. CoolEric158

CoolEric158 She rocks both ways.

Well, ABC hasn't acquired every single Peanuts special, but even then getting them would be tricky. ABC has the rights to the Christmas, Halloween, Thanksgiving, etc. and getting them will be costly. And even then, I don't see people clamoring to see Life is a Circus, Charlie Brown, or It's an Adventure, Charlie Brown on TV again.

7. ventus20

ventus20 Member

I know that I'm only one person but i'd love there to be a Charlie brown show, I miss that dennis the menace cartoon.

8. Alonso Torrejon

Alonso Torrejon Active Member

I think Sylvester and Tweety Mysteries should be the last WB show that airs on The Hub. I'd pay 500 bucks to see that happen.

9. Rod G

Rod G Member

Histeria, anyone?

10. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

With the Charlie Brown show and specials, it depends on who currently owns the rights to them; acquiring the rights to those wouldn't be easy from what I understand. The 80's Dennis the Menace cartoon was produced by DiC, and I have yet to see anything DiC on The Hub, plus that show's over 20 years old now, and I doubt many of today's kids even know who Dennis the Menace is.

As for Sylvester and Tweety Mysteries and Histeria!, while not impossible, The Hub acquiring either of those doesn't seem likely. Both were basically buried by WB after their initial runs ended and subsequently fell into obscurity; those shows don't have the huge nostalgic following that Tiny Toons and Animaniacs have. I've said this before, but I personally hope The Hub is done with Silver Age WBA acquisitions for a while; I'd rather get a variety of diverse programming then just see them become Kids' WB! 2.0.

11. Lemanic

Lemanic Member

How about 'Nu, Pogodi!'? That would be awsome.

12. Silverstar

No one in the US knows what that is, plus imports are expensive, especially ones which have to be dubbed from another language. What would be Hasbro's incentive to acquire it?

#352 Silverstar, Jan 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2014
  13. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

More variety, maybe (just saying)? Anyhow, anything is possible, even something like, say, Bucky O'Hare and the Toad Wars (even if there were only 13 episodes)...

Sent from my iPod touch using toonzone

14. Goldstar Neo

If The Hub wants more variety, then why not show some other types of shows besides family sitcoms at night? Something like The Muppet Show/Muppets Tonight/The Jim Henson Hour, The Carol Burnett Show, SCTV, The Monkees, Carson's Comedy Classics or, yes, even Mystery Science Theater 3000? Just sayin'. ;)

15. ILDC

ILDC Active Member

But apparently they knew about Dennis the Menace from the UK.

16. Silverstar

...Which was quickly banished to the early AM wasteland before being dropped by the network alogether, because American kids weren't familiar with that cartoon either.

In the case of the American Dennis the Menace series, there's also the matter of that show being produced by DiC, who seem to have their own outlets for airing their shows.

#356 Silverstar, Jan 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2014
  17. Tommypezmaster

Tommypezmaster Active Member

Hub should defiantly aquire the right to the English Dub to El Chavo Animado.

Consider the fact that's it's very popular in certain states and that the original 70's sitcom (only in Spanish) still airs on a cable channel somewhere.

18. Rynnec

Rynnec Active Member

Sylvester and Tweety mysteries did air on weekday CN for a couple years, so it wasn't completely buried.

19. Goldstar Neo

El Chavo is a very old property that's mostly unknown to American audiences. Again, what would be Hasbro's incentive to acquire it? Also, dubbing a series into another language costs money.

#359 Goldstar Neo, Jan 31, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2014
  20. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

El Chavo (AKA: El Chavo del Ocho) is VERY well known in America...among those who speak Spanish (and probably even those who don't) and regularly watch Univision and its family of channels (where both the original sitcom* and the animated version have been seen), but still. Secondly, an English dub of the animated version wouldn't need to be made just for The Hub, since one has existed for some time. In the U.S., it has been shown on various occasions on "Kabillion" an on demand channel and website that has also shown an English version of Tara Duncan (which would also be a good addition to The Hub).

*As of this post, the original sitcom can currently be seen on UniMás (formerly Telefutura), and Galavision.

Sent from my iPod touch using toonzone