Nickelodeon Ratings Discussion

Discussion in 'The Nicktoons Forum' started by Space Cadet, Nov 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cartoon Ruler

Cartoon Ruler Senior Member

Now that I agree with. Both are big hits for Nick's action-adventure library as well as the network itself.
    Even though Marvin, Marvin is one of the most stupidest shows Nick had came up in a while, I just this show to survive in ratings until Sam and Cat and Big Time Rush's fourth season comes. Now with Tori and the gang out of the lineup, all we have leave for now are this and Supah Ninjas (while I considered to be an action show).
    Why don't Nick do a girl-centric block on Sunday mornings/afternoons. Winx Club and a Barbie/Monster High movie could work together in that block. I imagine the block pulling decent ratings. Not sure for the name for this block, but it's a good one for Nick to get.
    Again I just hope Marvin and Ninjas do OK together, though it have the same big ratings like the Marvin, Marvin/Victorious block did. By March or April, things should get back to normal with the introduction to Sam and Cat (which would most likely be a huge hit for Nick) and the fourth season of Big Time Rush.

Nick, I'm afraid, needs to cut down on the SB airings. 10 airings in one day = 50 airings in five day (weekdays) = 70-something airings in one week is quite a lot. Nick could easily have an hour of SB before Nick Jr. starts, two hours on the afternoons and a half-hour before N@N starts. Plain and simple. That way, we can add other shows to the weekday lineup. iCarly, Victorious, Big Time Rush, T.U.F.F. Puppy, Robot and Monster, Penguins of Madagascar and Supah Ninjas will do, though there's more shows Nick needs to consider. Also, will it kill N@N to cut back on the Full House reruns. Nostalgia is fine, but it loses its appeal after a time. 20 yr. old reruns of Full House during primetime isn't just going to cut it. At least put FH at around 10 or 11 and give it two hours daily. I was thinking of putting back Nick's old shows from the 90s and run them on the weekends from 11-1pm and an encore from 4-6am. I'm not too sure yet, but this is something Nick/N@N should also consider for the sake of diversity.

Also, I know it may be unlikely right now, but I would like Nick to acquire Clang Invasion (a Canadian show from YTV that debuted in 2007). Very good show, but that's just me.

2. rockorockorocko

rockorockorocko Well-Known Member

Sadly, seems like a lot of Nick's acquired programming from its sister stations from other countries just end up on TeenNick. Splatalot was given a chance, but its gone. Life With Boys - which I believe could do well on Nick - was left to TeenNick.

But there's some diversity coming to the weekday lineup. TMNT is holding the 2 p.m. slot and KFP will hold the 4 p.m. slot with new episodes. Plus one hour of Fairly Odd Parents. Its a start, but far from perfect. Somehow Korra should get some reruns before its new season and I expect TUFF Puppy to get the KFP treatment in February. Drake and Josh is good IMO, but seriously... Victorious, iCarly and Big Time Rush should get some reruns during the weekday.

And umm... whatever happened to Figure it Out, Splatalot, Gotta See This, Penguins and Robot and Monster... all these shows got cut with episodes left in its season. Figure it Out is most surprising, considering it was doing decently in the ratings.

3. ferrisjso

ferrisjso Member

It's awesome to see TMNT do so well in repeats.Each time the ratings come out it becomes more and more clear TMNT is a consistent repeat performer to an extent that with the exception of Spongebob and FOP no Nicktoon has ever been.Nick needs to start repeating LoK the low episode count is not an excuse anymore TMNT and LoK both have 12 episodes and similar ratings and TMNT has a timeslot that's doing great and LoK doesn't.Lok repeats along with the dvd would spike up ratings for the upcoming second book.After January I hope KFP retains it's timeslot as after having two seasons there won't be an excuse for the show not to have a timeslot especially with the ratings it gets.Like RockoRockoRocko mentioned Nick doing the moth of premieres thing for TP makes alot of sense so Nick can get some good ratings out of burning their huge TP backlog(providing they promote and program it well).Ultimatly Nick needs to make 2013 a year that TMNT,Lok,KFP(and with luck)TP pick up a lot of the burden on Spongebob and FOP so Nick can slowly phase both shows out of production.As far as Live Action is concerned I'm one who feels Nick should'nt have a very large lineup.Nick should continue to get some ratings sucess out of Victorious's final episodes before Sam and Cat premieres.After Sam and Cat premieres Nick can get to work on phasing Victorous and I Carly out of the lineup with the new Schneider show.Drake and Josh(IMO the best live action show Nicks ever had) can provide great repeat ratings and BTR Fourth Season(which will probably be it's last)and Marvin Marvin are good enough(ratings wise no I do not like Marvin Marvin) to round out the lineup.If the first few weeks of programming are any indication of what's to come 2013 will be an even better year than 2012 was as it appears Nick will actually use the powerful lineup it has.

4. codyjones2105

codyjones2105 Member

This right here is one of the big reasons why I've stopped watching Nick. The person responsible for the Spongebob spam is Cyma. Before she took over, they never used to spam it this much ever. The quality of Nick's programming and scheduling hasn't really improved that much by the firing of two people last fall who had nothing to do with Nick's ratings woes. The problem lies with Cyma, and until they get rid of her, the Spongebob spamming is going to continue, like it or not.

I don't really know whose bright idea it was to even put this person in the job as president in the first place because she clearly has no clue what it takes to run a network. No clue at all.

And to add, while I wasn't really an iCarly fan and probably would never watch Sam and Cat or a fourth season of Big Time Rush, I think once they come back, Marvin will be ancient history. But then again, I could be wrong. We won't know how well Sam and Cat does until it airs regardless of how much promotion it gets, and Big Time Rush...it's getting up there too with it going into season 4. We'll just have to see what happens when it happens.

5. rockorockorocko

Great insight as always ferrisjso. Like you've said, a lineup of SBSP, FOP, KFP, TMNT, LoK, and TP is a SOLID cartoon lineup with action/morals (TMNT, LoK, KFP) and slapstick/comedy (SBSP, FOP, TP) and enough ratings across the board of these six to decrease SBSP.

I'm not thrilled for Raving Rabbids and Monsters vs Aliens joining the lineup, MAINLY because I'd rather have Nick go "all in" on the six Nicktoons they have they have been getting better in this so far in 2013). One problem Nick has had - aside from SBSP spamming - is having TOO many cartoons, sometimes and not knowing what to do with them. Having a more concentrated 6 or 7 allows them to give enough limelight to all of its cartoons "supposedly". But perhaps KFP and TP premieres are being done to also open up room for the series premieres of RR and MvA. I'm OK with that as long KFP and TP have reruns regularly and advertisement of their premieres the whole way thru.

Never was a fan of BTR, but it had a great run and I'm hoping their team has been been told if this fourth season is a final or not. It's a show that deserves a proper ending. Still don't get why Nick renewed BTR and not Victorious, but such is life. Regarding limiting the live action, I agree. But it seems BTR, Sam and Cat won't be airing until after SN and Marvin Marvin is done. And really all Nick has is Marvin, Marvin, Sam and Cat, Big Time Rush, Supah Ninjas, House of Anubis and Power Rangers Megaforce. The other batch hasn't been greenlit yet - but those six shows are a great set of diversity as well - although I don't know how the ratings will look overall. But diversity seems more important lately, as Nick has still pushed HoA, Supah Ninjas and Marvin Marvin.

#985 rockorockorocko, Jan 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2013
  6. Burgundy Ranger

Burgundy Ranger Disney XD/Vortexx schedule guy

Has it been a longtime Nick practice to 'play favorites' in terms of on-air promotion -- and does it have anything to do with which shows Nick/Viacom has a financial investment?

I ask because -- at least in my eyes -- it treats PR as the black sheep of the family. NO promotion, especially with Megaforce possibly premiering next month. Supah Ninjas is getting month-out promotion. Anubis did as well.

Has Nick been as indifferent to any of its other shows as it appears it is to PR?

7. Erased Paper

Erased Paper Member

Ones that come to mind are shows that Nick only aired reruns of. Examples like "Men in Black", "Animaniacs", etc.

8. J21697

J21697 Active Member

Nickelodeon should focus primarily on promotion first, specifically House of Anubis. Like I said before, there is TOO MUCH competition on Thursday for House of Anubis. (Football, The Vampire Diaries, Movies, Basketball) It's just too much for it to sit there alone, no matter how much promotion it gets. If Nickelodeon wants its Saturday nights to crush Disney's Friday/Sunday Nights, bring back "Gotta See Saturdays:

8:00 - Victorious
    8:30 - Marvin Marvin
    9:00 - BTR (REPEAT)
    9:30 - (Supah Ninjas (REPEAT)

Starting February 9th:
    8:00 - Marvin Marvin
    8:30 Supah Ninjas
    9:00 - 10:00 - House of Anubis

If Nickelodeon wont move Anubis,schedule repeats daily to get other viewers interested in the show...Also, Nickelodeon MUST note that once Victorious ends, Disney will take notice that Nickelodeons flagship Live Action show is now gone, and will place huge movie premieres, specials, etc on Saturday Night @ 8, which could potentially hurt Marvin Marvin, and now if they move Anubis,, they should do some Thursday Night Nicktoon thing, that could help them win the ratings war against Disney. I also agree with the Girl block thing with Barbie, Winx and Monster High it could go something like this:

1:00 PM - Monster High
    1:30 PM Barbie (Mini 30 Minute Special)
    2:00 PM Winx
    2:30 PM Winx (Repeat)

9. J21697

J21697 Active Member

Do you guys have any predictions for "Dora Rocks" I've seen many promos for it on Nick JR, but not Nickelodeon...

10. Convoy Rat

Convoy Rat Member

If Nick wants good ratings again, they've gotta give the fans want they want.

Bring back the classics.

11. J21697

J21697 Active Member

Nick has tried that many times, and the ratings weren't just there. 2-11 Year olds wont be interested in awesome shows like All That, Kenan and Kel, Are You Afraid of the Dark etc, it's kinda like how we aren't interested in shows like Marvin Marvin

12. MegaJ

MegaJ Like a spring breeze.

Big Time Rush's Elevate album and tour did better than Nickelodeon expected. I think that's another reason Victorious, wasn't renewed... it didn't push as much merch as say, iCarly did.

Oh and House of Anubis last week did 1.728 mil total. That's steady, at least.

13. rockorockorocko

True regarding BTR, but the show is still getting old. OTOH, Victorious was still "fresh" and had at least a season or two left. I wouldn't be surprised if part of Nick's reason also dealt with the cast. In all honesty, its a very talented, good looking set of actors/singers. Who knows, maybe it was gonna be hard to keep them all together too. I believe Avan Jogia now has a show on ABC Family? I could be wrong.

Regarding Dora, I'm thinking 2.2-2.8 million. Good advertising and timeslot by Nick, but its always a gamble to premiere children's shows Monday-Thursday nights. Disney's Sofia the First set records and scored a 2.73 at 9:30 a.m. for its official premiere - which is absolutely ridiculous for a preschool show. But Dora's done well in primetime, and I think the last Dora premiere at night got a 2.5. Dora's been around for awhile though, and I think Nick has its next big thing in Peter Rabbit coming in February or March. Its Christmas episode on a Friday night was over 3 million. Just from seeing the previews, it seems to have a lot of great attributes for a preschool/children's show.

House of Anubis' ratings is actually encouraging. A drop from 1.7 would've been disastrous, but it remained the same this week. And besides, considering this is a mystery/drama I'm sure Nick just wants HoA to be consistent. I wonder if this'll make it to a fourth season. I kind of like the idea of HoA moving Saturday nights alongside Marvin Marvin and Supah Ninjas for ratings sake (although that's an awkward combination). I could see it being over 2 million Saturday nights regularly - at least. I think Nick just wants that Thursday 8 p.m. hour and House of Anubis has never premiered weekends - always weekdays. But yeah, a move to Saturday would be helpful for HoA, but don't see it happening. We'll have Marvin Marvin/Supah Ninjas until March-April, then Sam and Cat/Big Time Rush returns for April-July, then perhaps the Fall schedule will be whatever Nick greenlights from Gibby, The Thundermans, The Haunted Hathaways and that Rachel Crowe show.

On a side note, Kung Fu Panda's new episodes on Wednesday, Jan. 23, and Thursday, Jan. 24, are no longer listed. Oh Nick, you improve - but only by so much.

#993 rockorockorocko, Jan 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2013
  14. Tech

Tech I don't have a title

Fans of the classics are outside of the 6-11 demograph so their ratings don't count.

It's really getting annoying hearing this over and over again.

Yes Nick (and apparently every other channel) produced great shows in the 90's and the shows now aren't as good.

WE GET IT

But kids are different than the 90's kids and they are enjoying what's out today. Seriously, I consider this a parallel to an old man shouting "Get off my lawn kids!". Nick should not be focusing on the past but be focusing on the future.

Nick is actually somewhat deserve in terms of what's getting produced for their channel, but there's one major downfall: Dreamworks. Dreamworks is getting their own channel and they'll mostly create content for their own channel instead of Nick. Also if Nick even cares, Power Rangers will probably be going to the Vortexx in 2015.

The two major flaws that Nick had with Power Rangers was that it wasn't properly advertised after a certain amount of time. Early days of Power Rangers on Nick it got really good ratings. Second problem is Power Rangers is strictly a BOYS show, and it has me concerned that Nick is looking at the overall ratings for kids 6-11 rather than the overall ratings for boys 6-11. Almost all of the shows on Nick can be enjoyed by both genders, but I consider Power Rangers to be the only one that strictly caters to boys (while Winx Club strictly caters to girls and that hasn't gotten any more respect from Nick than Power Rangers has).

15. J21697

J21697 Active Member

Things aren't looking too good for Nickelodeon. The Monday Cable ratings came out, and the Dora special was beat by a GLC repeat. 2.2 Millions VS 2.9 Million. Also, Victorious's numbers are no where to be found, but what I can say is that it scored under 3.4 Million viewers, because the last program on the Cable Top 25 received that, and Spongebob continued to fill up the Top 25. Where's the big improvement Nickelodeon? Where's the promotion? Where's the good scheduling? Where's the move that will lower Spongebob airings daily? Honestly, with Cyma still running the company, don't expect any big major changes. She's going to run the company to the ground, and blame her foolish actions on one of her workers, thus causing them to get fired. Something needs to be done..

16. GPRailroad8794

GPRailroad8794 Active Member

To be fair, it's only January, we still have 11.5 months left of 2013. However with that being said, I'm with you. I doubt anything is going to change in large part due to Cyma, who I do not see leaving for a long time. When the time comes again to talk about how bad the channel is, she will just cut more people and this process will continue until Nick's death. Cyma just might have the honor of single handedly destroying the longest running kids' network; with how things are going now, it won't be a shock when the bell finally tolls.

17. Neo Yi

Neo Yi The Gamest in the Land
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Okay guys, let's tone down the Cyma comments. This is not a thread for you guys to bash or berate a single person; this invites unfortunate implications and more negativity than necessary. This is a discussion on Nickelodeon ratings only.

18. rockorockorocko

Some bad news/notes for Nick regarding ratings/scheduling:

Saturday Ratings:
    Victorious: 2.7 (2.690)
    Marvin Marvin: 2.1 (2.106)

- These were the No. 1 and No. 2 watched premieres Saturday night, but ouch. But not really surprising. Victorious numbers have gone as a high as 3.6 and as low as 2.7. Perhaps the show was overlooked because of Disney's JaNEWary premieres Friday and Sunday night. OR, Nick didn't advertise the episode enough. Wouldn't be surprised if it bounces back next week, but the concern has to be for Marvin Marvin 2.1. After two solid weeks, it takes a huge hit. Seems to live and die by Victorious. Could get ugly...

Monday Ratings:
    Dora the Explorer: 2.3 (2.27)

- Honestly, not bad. It's a preschool show after all. But I know Nick was probably hoping for more. This was Nick's response to Disney's Sofia the First premiere, and although it didn't too bad (StF notched a 2.7). It could get bad come daytime when Nick Jr. and Disney Jr. go head-to-head. Wonder how much weight Nick is putting on Peter Rabbit to regain some leverage in the preschool block.

Couldn't find anything on Kung Fu Panda's Monday premiere which leads me to the BAD scheduling news:

- Following this Sunday's new episode premiere, Kung Fu Panda premieres have been pulled for the rest of the week. ON TOP OF THAT, the 4 p.m. hour doesn't even have Kung Fu Panda reruns. It's back to The Fairly Oddparents. UGH!! The week after still has KFP's new episodes listed, but those are as good as gone.

- Now, something interesting for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, the second half of Season 1 premieres on Friday, Jan. 25 at 7 p.m. with I, Monster, followed by three reruns. The next Saturday, no new episode listed. Is Nick moving TMNT out of the Saturday morning slot to Friday primetime (and possibly moving something bigger Friday nights)? OR, are they gonna start premiering episodes randomly since TMNT is a ratings winner - I hope not. Why go up against Disney Friday nights when Saturday mornings, TMNT built momentum and owned. And it's not like CN's action block was a real threat for Nick. Is Nick feeling the ratings pressure following this week's premiere flops and reacting in fear? TMNT can do well Friday night... perhaps even better than Saturday mornings, but I just feel its a Saturday morning show and it would do best alongside other action programs. But whatever, what do I know....

And the most frustrating realization, who knows if we will ever see the LoK and TMNT pairing .....

19. J21697

J21697 Active Member

This is what is killing Nickelodeon. They have a good show, with consistent ratings, then they realize the ratings are good, so they lower down the promotion and expect fans to know when to tune in, then they schedule it on different days, fans get confused, ratings go down, Nickelodeon stops airing the show, then a few months later tries to fix its mistakes but it has become too late, and either move the show to Nicktoons, cancel it, or burn it off. TMNT was doing amazing on @ 11 AM. Why move it now?

20. Steve Mills

Steve Mills Member

I hate this excuse, that "the 90s kids don't matter, because they're too old for the demographic and are stuck in the past". This does not give out a reasonable excuse for the lack of variety, and the constant Family Gu-I mean Spongebob episodes running all day(Seriously, I have said it before and I will say it again, SpongeBob is Nick's Family Guy) . We want the classics on because, the classics had alot of variety, or at least shows with a bunch of variety. My cousins watch Nick and they even hate that SpongeBob is on constantly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.