Nickelodeon Ratings Discussion

Discussion in 'The Nicktoons Forum' started by Space Cadet, Nov 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. islanddog1571

islanddog1571 Member

Now that was just uncalled for. This thread is supposed to be about Nickelodeon and it's ratings... Not how supposedly bad TUFF Puppy is.
    ((And for the record TP does not suck, Like Nick Fan 2.0 said above it has a decent (But not large) sized fanbase, it's overall a great show (Every episode no matter how many times I've seen it continues to make me laugh) and (when properly promoted) it's a solid proformer in the ratings.))
    ((Also Nick is the one who screwed TP not Butch, Nick was practically giving TP the royal treatment until roughly about the Summer of 2011... and then ironically after it was announced TP was getting a much deserved third season Nick started treating TP like garbage.))
    And really if you don't like a show... Why complain about it? That's a question that continues to baffle me.

2. GPRailroad8794

GPRailroad8794 Active Member

You pretty much answered your own question. And besides, it's not like I watch it so what difference does it make when I barely talk about the show to begin with?

I will admit I did go off topic with my opinion on TUFF Puppy but in the same token, this topic isn't about how supposedly good the show is either. You watch and you laugh, I watched and I changed the channel, neither you or Nick Fan have to dislike it and I don't have to like it.

Whichever way you look at it though, you can't deny the similarities between TUFF Puppy and Fairly OddParents outside of character designs.

3. ferrisjso

ferrisjso Member

I didn't say Nick was a network that should show all animation and no live action.However Nick is a mainly animation network and while a live action show or two is fine the lineup should be composed mostly of animation.The first few years of the Cyma regime show exactly what happens when Nick forgets that it's a mainly animation network that shows live action not the other way around.Nick is not Cartoon network that shows ONLY cartoons but animation is what Nick is built around.

Also about TP having a huge fanbase this is pretty complicated.TP did start out on fire in 2010 with 3.5 million viewers forn its premiere and was the NO.2 show on the network(we all know what NO.1 was)for much of it's first season.These ratings are a neccesity for a Nicktoon to get revived on Cyma's Nick.Once the show got renewed Nick stopped treating it fairly to test it's strentgh this is actually sound network practice I agree with anything can get ratings to an extent if you surrond it with Spongebob,repeats and promotion.The ratings naturally fell.What I DON'T AGREE WITH is n the Spring of 2011 Nick starting switching times for the show pulled its slots and promotion.There is a diffrence between testing a show you've invested 60 episodes in(for this Nick that's a lot Spongebob doesn't even have 200 yet.)and settin it up to fail and that's what Nick was doing when it had potential to suceed.Remember the critera for getting a third season are harder than that to get a second season and so on and so on.Even if TP had been treated well after its renewal it's doubtful at best if the show would have gotten a fourth season as NOT ONE Nicktoon under Cyma's Nick has ever gotten that far and even for KFP I have my doubts whether or not the show will get a fourht season.The thing is every show gets royal treatment and great ratings at it's inception(well some don't)but a shows legs are shown when it's not getting royal treatment.Nick was promoting TP just fine until Spring 2011 when TP was the NO.3 Nicktoon behind Spongebob and FOP a steady premiere time and weekday slots.It was only when Nick handicapped the show with conditions Spongebob would drop under that it became sabotoge and horrible buisiness.Still even now TP is a toon that can get ratings to an extent as long as it;s treated FAIR and deserves a half hour weekday slot.

4. islanddog1571

islanddog1571 Member

-Shrugs- While I suppose your comment didn't really make any real difference... What you said was still rather hurtful (And I personally considered it to also be rather offensive to not only the show, but to it's fanbase too) So you might want to take that into consideration next time.

Of course this topic isn't about how Good/Bad TP is... Is it not called ''The Nickelodeon Ratings'' thread? And of course you don't have to like the show, I understand that... Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. But I draw the line at ''Unfairly Bashing the show just because you don't like it''

Both FOP and TP are made by the same guy and crew, So it's natural that their would be plenty of similarities between the two shows.

But enough about TP, This isn't what this topic is supposed to be about... As it name implies it's about Nickelodeon's ratings. So lets call a truce and get back on topic shall we?

I sure wish Toonzone had a like button... Because Ferrisjso you just read my mind. You explained Nick's treatment of TP Perfectly.

MOD EDIT:
    Do not double post.

5. Bryan

Bryan TZ Schedules Admin

It does look like Nick's burning off new Kung Fu Panda. 13 episodes are scheduled to air weekdays at 4pm this month:

Jan-14-2013 -- 205 -- Shifu's Back
    Jan-15-2013 -- 225 -- Terror Cotta
    Jan-16-2013 -- 226 -- The Spirit Orbs of Master Ding
    Jan-17-2013 -- 202 -- The Maltese Mantis
    Jan-18-2013 -- 217 -- Invitation Only
    Jan-22-2013 -- 219 -- Shoot the Messenger
    Jan-23-2013 -- 211 -- A Tigress Tale
    Jan-24-2013 -- 204 -- Crane On A Wire
    Jan-25-2013 -- 224 -- The Secret Museum of Kung Fu
    Jan-28-2013 -- 223 -- Huge
    Jan-29-2013 -- 208 -- The Break Up
    Jan-30-2013 -- 210 -- Qilin Time
    Jan-31-2013 -- 222 -- Mama Told Me not to Kung Fu

Of course, with Nick being Nick, it's likely they'll get pulled before they all air...

If they do all air, that'll mean only 3 episodes will remain to be shown.

6. JusticeLeaguer

JusticeLeaguer Watchtower

As much as I personally don't like Marvin Marvin or how much Nickelodeon airs SpongeBob, I've gotta say I'm not surprised why Nick schedules them like they do. For example: I've been babysitting my 3 and 5 year-old cousins this week and they're obsessed with both. Whenever we're watching TV they constantly want to watch SpongeBob and they're upset when some other show is on. (I had to convince them to try and give Fairly OddParents a shot, but they preferred to either not watch TV at all or watch a Marvin Marvin rerun that was on the DVR instead.) Not that I don't think diversity will help Nick in the long run, because I think it will, but clearly kids know what they like and what they grew up with.

That being said, kids clearly like new shows too. My uncle was telling me that the main reason the kids started watching Marvin Marvin was because iCarly wasn't on anymore. They were glad to hear about the iCarly spin-off, but I think it shows just how desperately Nick needs a new sitcom hit.

This is just a small example, but I was certainly surprised by some of the viewing habits for the younger set. I think sometimes in this thread we tend to forget that Nick is first and foremost a children's network. While we might not like certain shows personally, as long as the kids like it then that's all that matters to Nick. Nick's not-so-great ratings as of late should certainly be troubling to them though.

7. rockorockorocko

rockorockorocko Well-Known Member

Hmm... I wouldn't call it burning off - yet. So far we've seen promotion/advertising for Kung Fu Panda's WEEKDAY PREMIERE SLOT. I'd like to think this as a positive that Nick is giving the show genuine treatment. After all, KFP was already renewed for a third season, so its not going anywhere. KFP was treated pretty bad during Season 2, I'm thinking its a plus that KFP fans gets a whole month of premieres during a very good time slot. "Burning off" is 6 a.m. premieres without advertisement like Fanboy and Chum Chum. Plus. isn't there one more hour special or Kung Fu Panda? Might be saving that for a primetime slot.

I think what will really be telling is this:

1. Will the advertising/promotion continue thru the whole month of premieres (despite the ratings)?
    2. Will Nick stick with the schedule or pull episodes?
    3. Will KFP retain at least one episode a day for reruns after the premieres are done (this is the big one)

Should these things follow thru, I think it's a push, rather than a burn off. After all, remember Nick use to do WEEKDAY premieres of their old Nicktoons regularly. And it wasn't necessarily about ratings then, but running a FULL season - like how comedy Nicktoons should be. TMNT and LoK I'm cool with once a week, but shows like KFP, TP - even SBSP and FoP should run weekdays IMO. I really don't feel its necessary to stretch a 26 episode season for 26 weeks... daily premieres works IMO.

This call makes me think about two things:

1. Perhaps this will be what happens to T.U.F.F. Puppy in February. Hartman said to expect a bunch of TP premieres - maybe this is how it'll happen. If so, I'm all for it. Again, I'm not a KFP or TP fan - but for the sake of diversity ... works for me.

2. Given the fact that KFP will not be premiering weekends anymore... could this mean that an action block WILL happen for Nick? Nick might partly clear its toons so it can give the action block a chance. Could Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Legend of Korra, and Power Rangers Saturday mornings happen? I think TMNT is suppose to come back on February, Power Rangers Megaforce premieres in February, and LoK in March.

Gotta say, maybe there's hope at the end of the tunnel...

8. JusticeLeaguer

I'm all for a TMNT/Korra/Megaforce action block especially since both TMNT and Korra have 14 new episodes left (in season 1 for TMNT and book 2 for Korra). Not sure when their other seasons will be ready but it'd be nice for Nick to air the two of them together.

9. J21697

J21697 Active Member

I'm glad Marvin Marvin is remaining steady and not dipping like How To Rock, and it actually holds more of its lead in than Big Time Rush. I could see this show pulling 3 million soon. Nickelodeon scheduled 4 repeats of Marvin Marvin on Sunday @ 6-8 PM. It's following a small mini Spongebob marathon. Nickelodeon is really investing their money and time into this show. I mean who wouldn't? The ultimate test will be if Marvin can hold those ratings after Victorious ends.

10. ferrisjso

ferrisjso Member

Wow Nick is starting 2013 off with a bang.Nick usually reserves weekday premiere blocks for shows it's canned and needs to burn the epsiodes of not a show that actually gets ratings and not for about a month.This is a departure from Nicks usual programming practices and a refreshing one at that.Nick is basically burning KFP's entire second season in this block and with a daily PREMIERE timeslot and good promotion KFP can have a signifigant ratings spike from this.A major question is now how TMNT's large hiatus will affect the ratings when the second half of Season1 premieres. Due to the influx of TMNT merch in DVDS and action figures combined with the large fanbase I'm expecting TMNT ratings to be just as good as before ratings wise and the merch can even give ratings a little bump but you can never be sure.Justice Leaguer made an excellent point that TMNT and Lok both have exactly 14 episodes of their current seasons.With both shows coming back in the spring expectantly there is no reason why Nick can't pair the two to make a deadly ratings combo for an action block.If Nick does put these two together combined with the boost both shows will have had from their dvd releases their is potential for both shows ratings to rise dramatically which for Disney and CN must be SCARY.2013 is shaping up to an amazing year for Nick.They have the tools neccesary they just need to use them.All the early signs are showing that Nick will do just that despite Nicks old programming habits being a cuase for concern.

11. rockorockorocko

Agree with all of the recent posts, but I'm still skeptical because things seem "too good to be true". However, indications point to some exciting moves by Nick in 2013. With TMNT now a rerun regular during weekdays and KFP premieres all month at 4 p.m., that's already two less episodes of SBSP a day. Perhaps a modest change, but considering how it's been - it's huge. Hoping Nick builds on it's Nicktoon diversity. I'm OK with Nick's live shows not seeing weekday rerun slots (except for that 7-8pm hour) if it means all-star treatment for its cartoon lineup. I really believe TP is coming next.

Justice Leaguer - great point about LoK and TMNT having 14 episodes each. LoK wasn't suppose to premiere until March I believe, so this TMNT hiatus might be long, but ferrisjso's expansion on the thought makes perfect sense. If a TMNT hiatus until March means 14 weeks of TMNT and LoK back-to-back ... holy smokes! IMO, it's worth it and ratings will be fine because Nick handled the first half of TMNT well. Plus, this probably means a TNMT/LoK rerun block will continue during the week.

Looking ahead, TMNT already has 26 episodes for Season 2, and Season 2 (Book 1 & 2) of Korra is 26 as well. Makes me think, is Nick ACTUALLY putting some thought behind their premieres and shows? These two could be airing together for quite some time and I think that makes fans like me stoked. And yeah, barring any huge surprises I honestly could see both shows hovering around 3.5 - 4.0 million viewers an episode and owning demographics because these two shows really compliment each other well and I don't see why a LoK fan or a TMNT wouldn't watch the other show if its in the same hour. Megaforce could also benefit greatly... advertised/promoted well, I could see Power Rangers getting over the 2 million mark regularly - it's a franchise that will do well if handled well.

At the end of the day, we can put down shows like Marvin Marvin (for its lack of substance) and House of Anubis (for its bad ratings). But both shows bring diversity to the table. Marvin Marvin isn't about some teen popstar and House of Anubis is a drama. Yes, both lack in areas, but despite the questionable ratings (initially) Nick has still pushed both shows and hasn't given up on them yet. Which says a lot, considering Nick's top live shows were treated like scum in 2012 and its second/third tier shows even worse. Even Supah Ninjas is getting a lot of love early on too, despite the fact the ratings were pretty bad. It'll likely be the replacement to Victorious Saturday nights. Marvin Marvin/Supah Ninjas Saturday primetime on Nick (this has always been Nick's live action night) may be a gamble, but at least Nick is willing to give diversity a try. Sam and Cat will likely take over the main slot around April, but again.. it's something different and I'm excited for that.

Finally, I'd rather see Nick make a genuine commitment to their shows and at least give them a chance to do well, then shove them into bad times with no promotion if they aren't SBSP, FOP, iCarly, Victorious or BTR. That is what we're seeing in 2013 and I think that's promising. And as much as we can criticize Marvin Marvin for being a crappy show, it's posted growth in the ratings and has held an audience for two weeks straight. And its NOT about some singing/acting/stardom thing.

Sure, a lot might have to do with Victorious as the lead (and for only 4 more weeks), but Nick has also done its part in being relentless in promotions, putting it in an 8:30 p.m. spot following Victorious, being consistent with scheduling, and airing reruns of only 5 episodes. These are all things we know Nick has sucked majorly in, and if they can do something right with a show like Marvin Marvin and see FRUIT to it, I can only imagine what "could" happen with its other more popular and quality shows this year. Marvin Marvin is the first live show to premiere on Nick (Fred: The Show, How to Rock, Bucket & Skinner) that has actually gained and retained an audience.

*Cross your fingers*

12. Nick Fan 2.0

Nick Fan 2.0 Active Member

Well, as much as I dislike the fact KFP is on at 4PM instead of of 5:30 or 6PM (probably due to SB reruns) I'll take that over burnoff anyday. But I don't think 4PM is late enough for KFP to score more than 2.6 million viewers. Just gonna wait & see. For Nick's sake, they better get TMNT back on soon. When Victorious ends Feburary 2nd, what's gonna be there ratings juggernaut. Marvin Marvin can't even score 3 million, Supah Ninjas isn't popular, & House Of Anubis is already under 2 million viewers. And this is where Nick STILL sucks. They were probably to busy drooling at SpongeBob to notice. Tuff Puppy, KFP, TMNT, FOP, and Korra all have half or new seasons coming, but Nick (except for KFP) has not put a release date on ANY of them. Makes me so mad.

13. Vaporleaf

Vaporleaf Active Member

Can I ask where you found these?

14. MegaJ

MegaJ Like a spring breeze.

I really hope Nickelodeon sticks with KFP at 4pm. I don't like the show, but like others said, it's diversity. They need to not freak out at the initial ratings and need to be more solidly behind their line-up and keep at it, it's the only way shows grow. They're already learning this somewhat by not really sweating about Marvin Marvin and House of Anubis's debuts. Both get steady promotion and Marvin Marvin has grown and gets a lot of repeat slots. And Supah Ninjas is getting promos as well, despite being ignored for it's first season.

Hell, if they keep it up, KFP may get a third season and they may get another solid rerun performer. TMNT is a hit, not just because it's a known property but because Nickelodeon believed in it and gave it a lot of attention and made a solid effort to get old fans watching too. They need to have more faith in their properties, they're all Nick has. Especially with Marvel having Disney and DC being aligned with Cartoon Network. They can compete with those. Korra/Avatar which is loved by many, TMNT, they can prop up Winx Club more (and air it on SATURDAYS), and the live-action situation is looking better. You can do this, Nick.

15. rockorockorocko

KFP was picked up for a third season, which is why I don't see this month premiere as a burn off because the show still has another season going. A more balanced cartoon lineup of SBSP, FOP, KFP, TP, TMNT and LoK is a really, really, really solid cartoon lineup. I suppose you can add Winx Club as well.

Just wish we had some word on Penguins and Robot and Monster. What's the dealio with the remaining episodes? You would hope they wouldn't get burnt off, but it seems they will be.

16. JusticeLeaguer

While we're talking about the holding up of shows, I wonder what's in store for Winx Club. They still have another 26 episode season ordered after this current season ends and this season still has 13 episodes to go. I really wish Winx wasn't all on its own on Sundays, but it's seemed to be holding its own fairly well I guess.

17. rockorockorocko

Someone brought up a good point that I read - Sundays is football/basketball days and since Winx targeted demo are girls, the person reasoned Winx Club is something on Sunday girls can look forward too.

BUT, considering there are 13 episodes and its on hiatus. Maybe it could also align in the action block Saturday mornings? It's a little different IMO, but more of an action cartoon than Kung Fu Panda. After all, seems like Supah Ninjas will air primetime.

18. JusticeLeaguer

That could possibly work. I don't mind Winx being on Sundays, I'm just not sold on the show airing by itself.

19. bleachj0j

bleachj0j Demon Slayer in training

I really hope that's the case. I think these three shows can work well together if advertised together.

20. rockorockorocko

Son of the Bronx has another breakdown of last week's ratings for Nick. Gotta love this kind of info.

Son of the Bronx: Nickelodeon ratings (December 31, 2012-January 6, 2013)

- SBSP continues to do well with 27 of the top 30 spots.
    - TMNT Saturday mornings at 11 a.m. is gold. Another rerun over 3 million viewers at 3.1. TMNT reruns continues to be solid and I think there's enough positive buzz that the second half of season one will really do well in the ratings. IF Nick is smart, PAIR TMNT and LoK!!
    - Marvin Marvin repeats are doing decently too. I think this show might have staying power despite its controversy. I seems to be geared toward a much younger demo (2-11?), and it seems like that demo has received it well?
    - What is Nick's deal with Mattel? That Barbie movie on Sunday drew nearly 2 million viewers. Winx and Barbie - you know that's a pairing that needs to happen more by Nickelodeon. If Winx Club is gonna remain on Sundays, pair it a Barbie movie or a Monster High movie. Nick should invest more in the rights it has to Mattel's movies.

- For those interested in how Supah Ninjas may do in February - here's some numbers. The two episodes that ran after Victorious and Marvin Marvin scored a 1.8 and a 1.4. Modest numbers for reruns, but not bad, especially the 1.8. I think Marvin Marvin will probably receive the 8 p.m. slot after Victorious is done and Supah Ninjas will premiere at 8:30 p.m. Perhaps another week of these SN reruns will really be more telling, but I think Supah Ninjas will probably score 2.2-2.5 million an episode for this upcoming season IF Nick does what it needs to. It's already airing promos a month before the premiere. Plus, having reruns fill the Saturday night line up is nice as well. If a SN rerun can do better than a new episode of How to Rock and a handful of premieres from the latter half of its first season - that's promising.

Also some numbers of Disney and Nick head-to-head:

Nick had 26 programs over 3 million, Disney had 11.
    Nick had 51 programs over 2.5 million, Disney had 32.
    Nick had 81 programs over 2 million, Disney had 144.

SBSP continues to be the difference between Nick and Disney as far as total ratings are concerned. Disney has more total shows airing (Nick and NaN is rated separately) and seems to have more shows scoring more closely to each other in overall ratings and demos, but I think Nick has shows that are doing well too. Disney rolls out its new programming THIS week so it'll be interesting to see how the season premieres do during JaNEWary. But Nick is doing pretty well too, despite most of its shows being reruns/repeats this month. Should be fun to see how Nick does when Supah Ninjas, Megaforce, Wendell and Vinnie premiere its seasons and TMNT and TUFF Puppy return. That'll probably be it until Sam and Cat, Raving Rabbids and Monsters vs Aliens join the lineup... and who knows if/when Nick green lights Gibby, The Haunted Hathaways and The Thundermans.

#980 rockorockorocko, Jan 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.