Nickelodeon Ratings Discussion, part 3

Discussion in 'The Nicktoons Forum' started by Jacob, Sep 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CartoonFreak95

I knew it wasn't just me when I thought ratings and popularity declined (I was there the moment the popularity sunk). I saw a source that it was the highest rated cartoon on Disney Channel as of 2013, so I am confused. It's even sadder when you consider that when the show first came out, it was viewed as the "only good modern cartoon" and "the savior of modern animation" by many people. Part of the show's popularity between kids and adults was because it was the only cartoon on at the time besides SpongeBob (make of what you will of the new episodes) that had a general appeal. It was around before Regular Show, Adventure Time, FIM and Gravity Falls. When the aforementioned 4 became popular, I think the novelty of Phineas and Ferb wore off quite slowly to the point of declining ratings (I love all shows in their own way but I'm speaking realistically) and many people questioning why the show was ever popular in the first place.

I like WOY but I don't understand how it's not reeling in ratings.

I know that Disney Channel had plans to turn Phineas and Ferb into their SpongeBob though that was instantly scrapped when Gravity Falls came out and many of Phineas and Ferb's fans dumped Phineas and Ferb not too long after (which was the start of the ratings decline for PnF) and merchandise was pulled from stores. Not too different from what happened to Ren and Stimpy in it's Nickelodeon years.

#961 CartoonFreak95, Feb 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2014
  2. rockorockorocko

rockorockorocko Well-Known Member

Disney doesn't care about animation the way Nick does. They air cartoons during the 9 p.m. hour Friday nights. Nick airs theirs weekend mornings - prime for target demos and even adults. WoY is gonna get canned, but it would've probably done well on Nick.

To put things into perspective, second tier Nick shows like RI and KFP are premiering equal to Disney's lineup. And they aren't exactly promoted or pushed by Nick, where as Disney's animation is part of their premiere Friday night lineup.

Not sure if GF can salvage Disney's animation lineup. Besides, PaF/FH are in final seasons along with WoY likely cancelled. Disney has one more cartoon coming up, but regardless Nick is EASILY superior in animation right now and might be evening out in the live action.

3. CartoonFreak95

I'll chime in my 2 cents and say that I don't think Phineas and Ferb is quite as repetitive as many of it's detractors claim it is (Nor did I see the complaints about it until the last couple of years or so). I'm not denying that the show follows a formula but alot of people literally say that the same thing happens in every single episode that's ever been made, ignoring certain episodes that didn't. It just seems to me they're overexaggerating the show's "repetition" because they have a grudge against it (I'm talking about the people that say that every single episode is repetitive). We're entitled to our opinions but I have watched the show for a long time and there are actual episode plots outside the formula (The formula just happens to be a setup of the episode but there are things going on outside of "Mom goes somewhere, Candace tries to bust Phineas and Ferb, Perry defeats Doofenschmirtz") and some that even go out of their way to avoid the usual status quo. Not an attack on opinions or anything.

For Craig McCracken, he'll probably relaunch The Powerpuff Girls if the special's done well ratings wise if WOY is cancelled. (Mike Judge did the same thing with Beavis and Butthead which originally ended for the same reason that PPG did) Could be wrong though

Then again, episodes are leaked online so that might be the reason for the ratings drop.

Swampy as I have said denied the rumor that it was getting the can but he probably doesn't know for sure yet.

4. kanc

kanc Well-Known Member

Also sonofthebronx posted: Tues 8PM Nick News ratings for Nick at Nite got 1639. I don't remember was Nick News airing it. Nick News ratings had never been that high. Was that a typo, if it was I think Full House was airing it that had good ratings. Never knew why sonofthebronx data forgot to make changes what program shows aired...

5. Tommy Lawson

Tommy Lawson Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I feel there's a very simple reason for the priority difference between Nickelodeon and Disney Channel in TV animation. Who holds the most prestigious animation job in all of Disney? Not the Disney Channel, the entire company. I would say it's John Lasseter, who runs Walt Disney Animation Studios and Pixar. That's a division focused on theatrical movie releases. And what would look better on a director's or an animator's resume: "Worked on 'animated show X' for Disney Channel" or "Worked on Frozen for Walt Disney Animation Studios?" Working on a theatrical feature is usually considered more lucrative for one's career in animation, and the licensing world also reflects that, as theatrical releases usually bring in higher amounts of merchandising revenue than TV shows do.

So, what that means at Disney is that talent that could have been at Disney Channel working on their animated shows goes to another part of the company instead. And from a business perspective, it does make more sense for Disney to have their best talent work on the features. Since Nickelodeon doesn't release the same number of animated movies Disney does, their animated TV work is usually considered to be the most essential animation work of the company, so they are going to focus more on it than Disney Channel does IMHO.

6. Cartoon Ruler

Cartoon Ruler Senior Member

I think another reason Phineas & Ferb (along with Wander Over Yonder and Fish Hooks) are preforming low is because the lack of repeats. Since when was the last time PaF reran during the light of the day (not counting Disney XD)? It and FH are shoved into the graveyard hours and the only time you get to see them during the viewing time is when they only premiere new episodes. Looking at DC's schedule, WoY is rarely on the schedule (besides new episodes) yet Liv & Maddie gets all the reruns it can get and it premiered two days after WoY.

Is Disney Channel's schedule the reason why DC is developing a ratings drain?

No need to repeat my post here. DC needs some work in its schedule. Every single day you'll see non stop airings of Jessie and Austin & Ally, with little to no animation repeats. Even Nick (lately) took a chance to add more diversity in its schedule. Sure there's still a lot of SBSP, but EVERY current show (both live action AND animation) has reruns on the schedule. DC's lineup is...well, lame. The live action are overplayed so much, which is why its reruns aren't preforming well. Disney needs to learn to make the lineup more diverse so that kids won't be so tired of the same episodes played every day.

7. CoolEric158

CoolEric158 She rocks both ways.

I swear we need a Disney Channel ratings thread. Can we all please go back to the original topic at hand?

8. Tommy Lawson

Tommy Lawson Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

The thing is, there is a Disney Channel Ratings Thread, in the Disney/Pixar forum. I know, because I created it a few weeks ago, not only for DC ratings, but XD too. However, since it is a less frequently visited forum, there aren't as many responses as in this thread. Now, there are two threads about DC ratings, including the aforementioned one about scheduling. It would be helpful to make use of those threads. As for right now, don't worry about the topic drift here too much. It should swing back to Nickelodeon numbers discussion once the next set of numbers are out.

9. rockorockorocko

Hard to talk about demos and ratings without bringing up Dosney since that's Nicks competition.

But in any case, to help bring back the topic. Here's my predictions for Nick this week:

Rabbids: 2.2M
    Monster vs Aliens: 2.0M
    Ice Age: 3.4M (I wanna go higher, this is a popular movie right?)
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: 3.0M (this might be wishful thinking, I know)
    Kung Fu Panda: 2.5M (extremely dependent on TMNT though)

Penguins has a premiere Sunday morning too, I'll give it a 1.1M

10. Rex Kamex

Rex Kamex Member

I wonder if it's too late for Nick to release an "Uncut" or "Extended Edition" for this season, bringing it back to forty episodes. Obviously the most important material was already shown in the Every Witch Way season that's aired, but I wonder if there's still much entertaining material that wasn't shown.

I'd rather Nick not release shows lasting only a month or a few months (unless maybe reruns are aired in the following months after the season's ended). Live action-wise, I'd hope Nick would find at least one or two more hit shows (besides Sam & Cat), so I'd rather they not release a live action show that only lasts a month/a few months at a time.

Of course, The Haunted Hathaways and/or The Thundermans might still grow in ratings and popularity, and more live action should be announced by Nick within the next few months (due to the Nick Upfront especially) with possible hits. Ultimately I hope Nick has many hit Nicktoons and live action shows, even if Nick has more hit Nicktoons than Nick live action shows. That's my personal preference, but whatever works for Nick...

On the bright side, at least it was another live action show on Nick that wasn't a sitcom...

11. Hail-the-Whale

12. rockorockorocko

Was hoping TMNT could crack 3.0M, but that's not a bad showing and it's the highest premiere number for TMNT in a while. It at least retained almost all of SBSP lead, which can hit 3.0M on Sundays sometimes. Tough for a premiere on Super Bowl Sunday IMO.

Did THH/TTM really air during the 1 p.m. hour? They've never repeated THAT well.

13. kanc

kanc Well-Known Member

No, apparently that was typo from nielsen. Ice Age movie aired started 1PM

14. J21697

J21697 Active Member

If TMNT increases, we'll know that the decrease was due to Superbowl Sunday, if it doesn't, well....

Nick should really bring back Turtle Takeover. I feel like that episode would have have been higher if Nick actually scheduled some repeats of the show, but we'll see in a couple of weeks where the ratings stabilize.

15. Hail-the-Whale

Nickelodeon Tops Cable With Kids & Total Viewers This Week - Ratings | TVbytheNumbers

16. Cartoon Ruler

Cartoon Ruler Senior Member

Good for SpongeBob and Sanjay & Craig. Hopefully both will help Breadwinners.

A bit off topic, but it's been confirmed that CN will lose its prime time hour for more AS. I wonder if this means Nick or/and DC will increase more viewers after 8PM.

17. NickDisneyCartoo

18. rockorockorocko

Rabbids with a 2.5M and MvA with a 2.0M. The TMNT switch might be real beneficial for both days. I think this is RI high since it's premiere.

19. rockorockorocko

Cynopsis Media :: 02/05/14

- SBSP with nine of the K2-11 top ten. No. 9 goes to SaC.
    - Nick did very well in the K6-11 as well, SBSP (No. 5 and No. 6), SaC (No. 9) - and get this - No. 3 on the list was the EWW finale. Man, no matter how you look at it, Nick let this one slip trough. Might have had room to majorly grow.

Interesting to see how SaC/THH/TTM and TMNT stack up against LaM, IDDI and AaA. Gonna be another fun week to see which live action set comes out on top.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.