[NEWS] R.I.P. Kids WB 1995-2008, Kids'WB.com Emerges April 2008

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by Burgundy Ranger, Oct 2, 2007.

1. Pomegranate

Pomegranate Active Member

They should've renamed T-Works something like "WB Animation Online" instead of Kids WB, because there isn't a single animation outlet that actually caters to all ages nowadays and I definitely prefer an all-ages/family-aimed media outlet over some ratings-hungry children's network:sad: !

2. Sonic_Eclipse

Sonic_Eclipse Shut up! Shut up! Shut up!

So basically Kids'WB! has become an online network for classic WB animation. Weird.

Anyone notice the original KidsWB.com (now cw4kids.com) now has The CW4Kids logo in place of the Kids'WB! logo, even though it doesn't start till May 24th?

3. Nexonius

Nexonius Ten, count em', ten years!

Oh yeah, Kids' WB will see a virtual world (like T-Works) much much later this year featuring WB owned characters.

4. Jeff Harris

Jeff Harris Creator/Webmaster, TXB

Yes . . . and no.

Yes, it will have access to classic Warner Bros., Hanna-Barbera, and DC Comics titles separated in three "channels" (Kids WB!, Kids WB! Jr., and DC HeroZone), but that's not all. Coming soon to the site will be original productions, including a new Wizard of Oz series and a brand new Plastic Man series exclusively for the site.

Kind of sucks for those of us still using 56K modems though . . . I would have prefered Kids WB continuing as a digital subchannel of The CW ala qubo rather than just an online "network." But, like I've said many times, that makes sense, something that left Time Warner a long time ago.

They also resurrected The WB with non-WB-owned shows Dawson's Creek, Buffy and shows that didn't air on The WB like The OC and Veronica Mars.

Sense at Time Warner: 1990-2001.

Well, the new KidsWB.com launched yesterday, and something had to take its place, thus, the introduction of the brilliantly named not really CW4Kids. It's not a temporary logo. That's it. They don't do much thinking in Burbank. It hurts their heads.

By the way, 4Kids stuff (Yu-Gi-Oh and TMNT repeats so far) comes to The CW at launch. They couldn't show the 4Kids stuff because, well, they're still on Fox, and the 2007-08 television season ends May 17, clearing the way for change a week later. The new fall lineup (with new Yu-Gi-Oh and a new TMNT series) begins this September.

5. D Dubbs

D Dubbs Wish Upon A Star

Ah, so they're going to do a gradual transition during the summer. I suppose that's a good idea. At least they won't be ditching all of the Fox Kids shows all at once like 4Kids did when they took over that block.

6. collector_cliff

collector_cliff Noob Saibot

Just found this this morning, has a bit more info about the new sites.

7. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

I think there is something you should know. I typed in www.tworks.com, and I got the T-Works coming soon page. If T-Works is now Kids WB, then why wasn't I redirected?

8. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

9. collector_cliff

collector_cliff Noob Saibot

Sounds like the tworks site is something totally different from thewb.com. kidswb.com and the other sites it just is not up and running yet.

Warner Bros. Television Group Launches TheWB.com
    (April 28, 2008 – New York)
    http://www2.warnerbros.com/web/corpcomm/press_release.jsp?id=TheWB.comWBTGLaunches

Warner Bros. Entertainment To Unveil T-Works Immersive Online Animation Experience For All Ages In Spring 2008
    (September 6, 2007 – Burbank, CA)
    http://www2.warnerbros.com/web/corp...p?id=WBEUnveilTWorksOnlineAnimationSpring2008

10. Jeff Harris

T-Works IS KidsWB.com

From the official press release:

The Kids’ WB! broadcast network for children launched in 1995 and rapidly grew to become the number one programming block for kids aged 6–11. Today’s unveiling of the new KidsWB.com (formerly announced as T-Works) signals the brand’s extension into the digital marketplace.

Everything originally planned for T-Works (the original projects, the classic cartoons, and the interactive elements) are now implemented in the Kids' WB! website. The reason why they renamed it? Well, aside from T-Works being a stupid name, the Kids' WB! brand is a valuable brand that Warner Bros. sees and appreciates. To waste a fully-interactive animation project on something with a non-memorable name is not only foolish but also self-destructive, especially if there's something stronger and more familiar is present in the form of Kids' WB.

In conclusion, T-Works is KidsWB.com.

11. Nexonius

Nexonius Ten, count em', ten years!

For the people who don't know what T-Works meant, it means Toon Works.

12. stargirl

stargirl Active Member

Let me see if I've got this correct...

Warner Bros. said a few months ago that their new all-animation site T-Works.com is for all ages, uniting both old and new animated franchises. Right?

And now they're renaming the site KidsWB.com. Right?

Okay, I understand that WB is doing a good thing by creating the all-toon site. But renaming it KidsWB.com?

I can't help but point out that this is, IMO, yet another "toons are for kids" reference. The name "T-Works" was good as it was.
    Why, WB...?

13. Jeff Harris

I know what it meant. Still doesn't mean it was a good name. They could have just named it ToonWorks. It's as if they wanted to hide what they were all about with the "T-Works" name. T-Works could be a science lab studying T-cells and immuneodiseases, a modern teahouse chain, or a production company founded by a certain mohawked tough guy who pities fools. It's like people are ashamed of being associated with cartoons.

Yup, and everything planned for T-Works is and will be on KidsWB.com. The Wizard of Oz, Plastic Man, and a couple of other shows are still coming this year to Kids' WB. It's still an all-animation site . . . well, almost all-animation. Cartoon Network shows and characters aren't a part of it just like they weren't a part of T-Works. Stupid move . . .

Right. Guess Cartoon Network would have been too . . . wrong for them, especially since they're out-cartooning Cartoon Network already.

I agree. But Kids' WB is a better brand already recognized as an animation block (every live-action production/special failed miserably, therefore, no live-action will be present there at all).

No. Like I said, it's a stupid name, as if they're ashamed of being associated with cartoons by being "hip."

Because sense left the building a long time ago.

14. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

I saw the new KidsWB.com site this morning. I played some of the games and even downloaded a Pepe Le Pew wallpaper and a Tom and Jerry screensaver for my internet computer.

The KidsWB.com site has the usual Warner Bros. Looney Tunes, most Hanna-Barbera, D.C. comics, and even Mucha Lucha characters/games/downloads; but for now it doesn't have yet any characters/games/downloads from 1990's WB cartoons Tiny Toon Adventures, Animaniacs, Pinky and the Brain, and Freakazoid! Hope it does in the months to come.

And I have yet to know: Is FOX planning a FOX NEWS SATURDAY show to fill the loss of 4 Kids shows and/or will it strike a deal with Cookie Jar for a few hour Saturday morning block?

15. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

No and no. Those are both suggestions that you yourself made earlier, but neither of those thing are going to happen. At all.

#415 Goldstar Neo, Apr 29, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2008
  16. Sonic_Eclipse

Sonic_Eclipse Shut up! Shut up! Shut up!

Well Fox Kids viewers had plenty of notice through the whole summer that it was changing into the FoxBox in the Fall, with the "Something Big is coming... Really Big..." promos they showed all summer. Around the end of July they started showing actual promos for the new shows instead of just the block itself.

I thought it was pretty obvious it was changing.

17. D Dubbs

D Dubbs Wish Upon A Star

Well, not this year, but who knows it 4Kids will renew their contract with FOX after the 2008-2009 season?

Yeah, I know, but this time 4Kids will actually air their shows alongside Kids' WB's shows during the summer, in addition to the new promos for the fall lineup that they'll surely make. Basically what I was getting at is that the change will seem much more gradual this time around.

Wait...you changed this after I quoted you. So TMNT and Yu-Gi-Oh! will air on the CW 4Kids starting on May 24th? So...does that mean those shows will be airing on both 4Kids blocks, or will the Fox lineup need to fill in some holes?

18. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

Just consider the source and move on, my friend.

19. Jeff Harris

4Kids will be bringing a lot of the "heavy-hitting" 4KidsTV properties over to The CW 4Kids. Only . . . they're being mum about it. Chaotic is the only CONFIRMED show, and TMNT: Back to the Sewers and the new Yu-Gi-Oh are about 85% likely to air on the block this fall, among a few other properties they're still keeping under wraps.

In the meantime, it's not that unfantomable that at least those three properties will be coming to CW 4Kids during the summer months, just to ween in the audiences. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the "lost 15" were repeated on the CW nor the original Yu-Gi-Oh airing once again in the old Kids' WB slots.

4Kids will be announcing the fall lineup in a few weeks for both blocks.

The only show certain to be back from Kids' WB this fall will be The Spectacular Spider-Man. Everything else is either cancelled (the WB-made shows) or continuing but hovering for a home (Quest and Johnny Test will be back on in Canada regardless of what happens stateside).

I haven't heard anything about Iron Kid, um, Eon Kid nor Skunk Fu continuing beyond the initial 26 episodes. Johnny Test might just become exclusive to Cartoon Network, but it could surprisingly squeak by for at least one more season. By the way, World of Quest has 26 22-minute episodes. Pity that show hasn't caught on. I bet if it was made in Japan, it'd be bigger than it is. Quest is a great show. Warner Bros. is only working on Brave and the Bold for television this coming season. Most newer productions are online-only or direct to video.

I think 4KidsTV will keep some of the "lesser" 4Kids properties while CW 4Kids will get the higher profile shows (because, you know, The CW paid for five years of service and they want to keep the partnership going for a long time). That said, I think TMNT, Yu-Gi-Oh, and maybe Dinosaur King will migrate to CW 4Kids this fall (though TMNT will likely join this summer in rerun form) along with the already confirmed Chaotic while 4KidsTV will be a testing ground of sorts for new shows for CW 4Kids' 2009-10 season.

20. D Dubbs

D Dubbs Wish Upon A Star

Very interesting. That answers a lot of questions I had, so thanks.

I kinda figured Chaotic would be moving to the CW, given how much attention they've been giving it lately. And Spectacular Spider-Man is continuing on the CW? Nice.

And no Warner Bros. series returning...guess I should've seen that coming. As for the FOX block serving as a testing ground...yeah, I guess that seems pretty logical.

So, we should know the fall lineup for both blocks in a couple of weeks? Cool. I'm looking forward to seeing what 4Kids has planned...