New TMNT Toon Direction decided (Update: Early designs revealed)

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by Shredder565, Oct 24, 2007.

1. Shredder565

Shredder565 Active Member

2. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

You never know. The streamlined "New Batman Adventures" looked better than the original B:TAS. Easier-to-draw Turtles may lead to more fluid animation as a result.

And thank....goodness....for no stupid gimmicks like "Turtle Babies."

3. Movie06

Movie06 Active Member

Groovy. Finally, the idea is not a stupid gimmick.

4. DrTooth

DrTooth Active Member

This is what I wanted to see all along. Continue what you're doing. no silly premise or Gimicks. Blend past events of FF into the storyline, and hopefully make it as dark as the first series was. FF was too light, and was 99% filler episodes. It was like they were trying to be the old TMNT series, but just became the worst episodes of season 3.

I don't like the idea they'll be stylized (since I detest how triangular they looked in FF) but if it means they have the budget to make the series, I can't complain.

5. Simpler Simon

Simpler Simon Always in Style

Sheesh, when I saw the Mii avatars I thought it was a gag posting. :sweat:

It looks...promising for now, but it's really a question of what Mr. Murphy isn't allowed to say...like what kind of gimmick will be shoehorned into what sounds like a pretty normal TMNT pitch.

The good news is that series continuity has been guaranteed, and that Casey and April should be back in the spotlight. The bad news: they're going to streamline the animation even more than Fast Forward? How much cheaper can it get?

6. CyberCubed

CyberCubed Active Member

I hope they continue with the 26 episode seasons.

Only thing that worries me now is the animation, I agree, if it looks WORSE than FF's style...what the hell will this show look like?

7. Sketch

Sketch not like those other old guys

Lower quality than Fast Forward animation? Oye...

The premise sounds solid though. Looks like Playmates wanted some heavy duty vehicles so they found a way to implement them without messing with much else.

Nice to hear they'll be fighting the Foot again and I wonder what their other villians will be up to.

Most of all it's good to hear that 2K3 may actually get it's lose ends tied up.

I wonder what they'll call this...

TMNT: Return to New York?

Nice homage but since it was an episode title I guess they'd use something else.

8. CyberCubed

CyberCubed Active Member

A lower budget doesn't mean terrible animation, I doubt the TMNT will come out looking like stick-figures. :p

4kids is doing this to cut their costs obviously, but I can't see what else it might look like.

9. DarthGonzo

DarthGonzo Fourteen Years!

Hey here's an idea. Implement some elements from the old 80s TV show if your out of ideas or you need a different direction. And to those in charge who don't want that to happen...get over it. That's the reason your franchise took off in the first place. Maybe it'll jumpstart this dying version.

10. Shredder565

Chaotic? :) Interesting style, but super ugly...

11. CyberCubed

CyberCubed Active Member

Darn, Murphy just confirmed there will only be 13 sepisodes for this season.

Man, I wanted them to go back up to 26. :/

12. Ian

Ian ¡Mierda santa! ¡Ninjas!

"if I discern this correctly, sir, this statement could be taken to mean, uh...nothing."--E.W. Merrick, Deadwood

There were only two bits of concrete info in what Murphy posted in his blog of the "Overload" concept: the Toddler turtles, and the dated-sounding Internet villain idea. The Turtle Tots are out, and there is no mention of the Internet villain in the new pitch; given that, one is left wondering just what part of "Overlord" is present in the new pitch, other than the general "the turtles return home" aspect.

In any case, this sounds like the best thing that could have happened. I do, however, have some reservations regarding yet another style shift. While I understand that, realistically, returning to the style of Seasons 1-5 is most likely impossible from a marketing standpoint, we were already dealing with a fairly simplified art style with Fast Forward. Unless we’re talking about a complete shake-up in visuals, I don’t see how a “streamlined and stylized” version of the current style would do the concept justice. I guess we’ll have to see.

13. CyberCubed

CyberCubed Active Member

Well, I can't see the show being degraded to a flash cartoon...so...

14. Simpler Simon

Simpler Simon Always in Style

13 episodes AND cheaper animation? Someone must really want to cut costs.

Ah well. It's not like 13-episode seasons are anything new to animation.

15. Shredder565

Just be thankful we have the net too tell us these things. When the original series got toned down too 13 eps per season, I was waiting for a while in 1994 for the second half of the season too air. Little did I know, that the show had been cut down too 8 episodes per season.

We're almost spoiled in a way now adays with all this instant info ;).

16. Chris Wood

Chris Wood Desslar

I must respectfully disagree.

17. Undrave

Undrave Forever Burning Heart!

Why does this make me think the heavy duty vehicles will combine into a giant robot oO?

18. Shredder565

Where the streamlined batman designs the one with the joker who had no lips? I hated that design myself, personally... and even Bruce Timm(if memory serves) said somewhere some of those designs didn't work.

19. MattThomasM2B

MattThomasM2B The End Is Here.

What.

20. SAMaine

SAMaine Member

Just what we need... Saint Mutation as canon... :(