"New Mutants" Pre-Release News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Marvel Live-Action Movies and Television' started by RoryWilliams, May 13, 2015.

1. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

Honestly at this point I see no reason why this wouldn't be an R considering how profitable and highly rated Deadpool and Logan are. Plus It was a monster hit with it's R rating as well so R rated high concept horror can do good. Honestly I'm not usually into horror as well but I am giving it more of a chance if there's something interesting behind it and this looks to be a good example of that. Again not super familiar with the characters but they look the part and I do like the teases we're getting of their power here so hopefully this will be another solid movie for the X-Men Film franchise. Honestly stuff like Dark Phoenix are probably the safe "for the entire family/help us keep the rights" film but stuff like this and Deadpool and heck Gambit if made seem like the more interesting sort of risk movies.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Freddy

Freddy Active Member

I hope you guys like jump scares and loud sound effects, because that trailer made the movie look as generic 2010's horror movie as you can get.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, this is definitely...different :sweat:.

Without the mention of Mutants you would probably have no idea this was an X-Men movie, which I guess is the point :ack:.

I would not have known that doctor was supposed to be Cecilia Reyes if I hadn't read it online o_O.

Magik and Rahne look pretty comic-accurate though :).

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

Well, I implore everyone to calm down. I'm certain this was designed deliberately overtly horror (ever see the "horror" Mary Poppins trailer?) to hook:
    #1 the audience and lovers of that genre
    #2 to officially announce this is not just a superhero comicbook film with spandex and capes.

In fact this leans closer to "Legion" than anything. Also remember, Moonstar and Magik are more than likely responsible for these things were seeing. Add to that fact we haven't seen anything with Warlock yet, which I pretty much knew we wouldn't.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Happy Holidays
    Staff Member Moderator

This should be interesting. Rahne and Magik look super comic accurate while Dr. Reyes seems to be INO. If Moira wasn't part of the main movies, this feels like a role she might fill. Sam doesn't look like Sam but I hope he acts and talks like him. We don't even see Roberto but Dani was instantly recognizable. I generally have a love/hate relationship with horror. I tend to like when horror elements are used to create tense environments and moods, etc, but this feels like an actual horror trailer. It's a little better looking than some but you'd never think this was related to X-Men at all outside of the word Mutant. I feel like I've seen a premise like this before except it was kids in a psych ward or something. Maybe I'm thinking of Dream Warriors. I've always been really fond of the original New Mutants, and I expect a good movie here at least, so hopefully it won't disappoint. It's not how I would have wanted to see the property introduced but I just feel like maybe it will work.
    As I think of Magik, I wonder if they would use Limbo as part of her backstory at all. I'm not sure if they said when it's set but I hope she's still Colossus's sister. Fox has kind of killed my hope for Dark Phoenix but I like what they've been doing with this extended X-Men universe so far. Everything they've planned is at least not annoying me like Sony does. If only they ever treated the FF right in any way...

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
    #165 Rick Jones, Oct 13, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  6. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Boone shares some storyboards of scenes from the trailer. Rundown of some references in the trailer.

He wants to introduce Warlock and Karma in the sequel.

I'm thinking she's working for Xavier and helps the students who are more dangerous than the others to master their abilities in isolation away from the main student body (and/or Reyes herself is a bit of a loner implicitly. In the comics, I think she was one of those mutants who didn't want to be a mutant-types). Essentially a protocol Xavier probably thought of after the events of Dark Phoenix. Since Boone said this is envisioned as a trilogy, I wouldn't be surprised if Reyes contacts Xavier at the end and he clears her to take them to stage 2 of testing.

Yeah, DW was set in a psych ward. He was going after the last of the children of the people who killed him.But yeah a psych ward horror isn't new territory in horror movies of course.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I've seen theories that a lot of the horror elements is Dani's dream powers acting up, and she's making the New Mutants relive their origins/worst fears so we see a young Illyana in her room and the mine where Sam discovered his powers.

I've also seen a theory that the person in the clown mask might be Belasco (the demon that kidnapped Magik).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

Apparently all three New Mutants movies will be a variation of the horror genre. I would've liked if one of the sequels was a thriller and another was a mystery/suspense movie instead. I guess I'm just going miss out on the New Mutants in the X-Men film series (unless they crossover in a different movie).

That being said, with ten superhero movies releasing in 2018, I could use an excuse not to see all of them. It's going to be pretty busy!
    They confirmed it's set in the present day which is nice to see since the other movies besides Deadpool seem to be jumping throughout the past and the future.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Obviously we're getting the Demon Bear in this, but I could see future movies dealing with Warlock, Belasco, or even the Anti-Mutant Right riffing on the horror genre :ack:.

It also allows them to connect Illyana back to Colossus ;).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. xfan1991

xfan1991 New Member

Will this be PG-13 like the other X-Men movies or Rated R like Logan and Deadpool? I have a feeling by the looks of the trailer it will be scary and that it will either be a Hard PG-13, or maybe go for R.

11. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

• Like Like x 1
  12. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  14. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

15. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, that's definitely different from your traditional movie poster, let alone for an X-Men/Superhero film :eek:.

I like that you can see Rahne's wolf teeth though :cool:.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

• Like Like x 1
  17. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

19. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Happy Holidays
    Staff Member Moderator

The poster feels really familiar. It kind of reminds me of the promotional stuff for that one recent survival horror game.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  20. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I wonder if Roberto's accident was during one of his soccer games? I remember his powers manifested during a game in the comics o_O.

Magik sounds so Magik :p.

Soulsword and armor! Awesome :D.