"New Mutants" Pre-Release News & Discussion (Spoilers)

• We have upgraded to Xenforo 2. We've decided to open the forums back up while we configure the theme and plugins. Thanks for your patience.

Latest News

RoryWilliams

Sep 19, 2010
Ratings
The Tardis

Release Date: April 13, 2018 February 22, 2019 August 2, 2019

Well this is surprising.

20th Century Fox's "X-Men" film franchise looks to be getting bigger: As reported Wednesday by Deadline, Josh Boone is signed to direct and co-write "The New Mutants," sharing a title with the Marvel Comics X-Men spinoff that first debuted in 1982."We’re so excited to explore this new part of the X-Men universe, and so excited to do it with Josh, who is uniquely suited to tell this story about young characters," X-Men franchise veteran and "New Mutants" producer Simon Kinberg told Deadline.

Boone, director of massive 2014 hit "The Fault in Our Stars," is set to co-write with Knate Gwaltney, who wrote upcoming thriller "Kidnap" (starring X-Men franchise vet Halle Berry) and worked on several "Jackass" productions. Kinberg will produce with Lauren Shuler Donner, who has worked on all of Fox's X-Men films.

"The New Mutants" looks to be a couple years away, as Boone has been linked to "The Vampire Chronicles" (based on the work of Anne Rice) and "The Stand" (an adaptation of the Stephen King novel). Deadline states he'd been targeted by Sony Pictures and Marvel Studios for the upcoming Spider-Man reboot, though he wasn't on the reported shortlist of choices that surfaced last week.

No details have yet been released as to which New Mutants the film will feature, though Deadline describes the film as starring "a new crop of mutant characters born with special powers." The original New Mutants team, introduced by Chris Claremont and Bob McLeod in 1982's "Marvel Graphic Novel" #4, consisted of Cannonball, Karma, Mirage (Dani Moonstar), Sunspot and Wolfsbane; new, teenaged students at Charles Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters.

Last edited by a moderator:

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
May 18, 2006
Ratings
920 1
East Northport
Well I am glad to see Fox announce this as it actually finally gives some idea what they're doing with the X-Men franchise. Granted we know that they're making Deadpool and Gambit but with X-Men Apocalypse being the finale of the prequel Trilogy and the 2017 March X-Flick that marks the last time Hugh Jackman is going to play Wolverine we need some fresh new blood or at least some idea what's going to happen with the new cast. And I think this answers that: we can have new mutants being guided by the old guard if the original New Mutants are based on new recruits. Since honestly we've seen bits of that in other X-Men movies but it would be good to get more of a focus on that for one of them.

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Ratings
11,144 46
Sherman Oaks CA
Great to finally have confirmation that Fox going forward with expanding their live-action universe :).

New Mutants are awesome, and I hope we get to see the classic roster in this. I wonder if it'll take place in the present day, and if we might see some of the present-day X-Men in cameos? I recall that rumor about Kelsey Grammar coming back as Beast for something like this, which would be pretty awesome :D.

Even better if they get Patrick Stewart to come back as Xavier ;).

A little funny that we'll be seeing a movie that likely focuses on the next generation of X-Men when we're pretty much getting that in Apocalypse as well, just in radically different periods of time.This might also give us a better idea of what the present day of the X-Men universe looks like aside from the glimpse we saw at the end of DoFP, depending on how they handle it :cool:.

the greenman

Jul 24, 2006
Ratings
2,957 5 1
the point of no return
Great, been waiting for this. I have doubts they will go with the classic line-up which I loved so much. Some of them like Wolfsbane and Warlock would be great to see on screen. However, having both this and X-Force in the pipeline is intriguing, as this one should debut before. Couple of ways this can go:

-It will really just be New Mutants in name only and be X-Men 5 with the team introduced in Apocalypse.
-It will be a completely new group of mutants, chosen by producers.
-It will be a proper adaptation of the comic, with characters from original NM and modern NM.

We can have New Mutants be kinda like what First Class tried to do, X-Force can bridge the two. Heck, X-Force already has Deadpool and Psylocke. BTW, glad to see it looks like Kinberg is FOX's Feige.

the greenman

Jul 24, 2006
Ratings
2,957 5 1
the point of no return

Magmaster12

Reporter
Dec 31, 2013
Ratings
663 3
If they're taking a brake with the original line up then this must be the 2018 movie.

Fox still treats the X-Men movies as generic action movies (aside from Deadpool obviously) hopefully the ladder will lead to a push into the opposite direction.
I seriously wonder what the plan for the movie is though, what is the team line up, and could this lead to the Cable and Deadpool team up the same way the comics did.