New Doujinshi

Discussion in 'Comic Book Culture' started by Gohan, Mar 23, 2006.

1. straw_hat

straw_hat Active Member

By the looks of it I don't think Bleedman is going to be using Betty for very long anyway. I wonder if he's going to work in Atom Ant into the story since even he got a re-design.

2. Kainsword17

Kainsword17 The King of Tokusatsu Kaijin

I would like to say that I was the one who designed some of the Kaijin monsters in PPGD=^w^=

3. moe-ron

moe-ron Member

hopefully, im not the only one who thinks Bleedman is over rated.

I mean, His PPGD WORKS because nobody takes (or should not) the story seriously, they come to see a massive character crossover with pretty pictures and bleedman delivers.

However, his Grim tales one is totally boring....well it used, mini mandy's death made it cross from boring to slightly amusing.
    My point still stands, this attempt of his at a REAL story is weak and just does not works.

The guy is insanely talented, im itching to see what can he do with an original concept, but he is wasting his time with these, products he will one day look back at and think "WHAT THE HELL WAS I THINKING".

4. aalong64

aalong64 Active Member

Yeah, he could really do something good with his art talent if he did something with original characters instead of copywritten ones that were mostly lame in the first place.
    I agree, he is highly overrated. The storyline in those comics is pretty laughable at times.

5. judyindisguise

judyindisguise Active Member

I read his stuff from time to time, but I agree with you. His craft is amazing. So why isn't he coming up with his own concepts and characters? Maybe because those two things are the most difficult parts of creativity? I dunno...

6. Hordesman

Hordesman slashor

I think it's a matter of approach. There's plenty of great work derived from that of others, some of which is even better than the original. I don't think any of Shakespeare's plays were entirely original premises- it was what he did with them that was. You can get fresh perspectives on a story, and the challenge comes from writing a new situation for an old character that feels like a credible extension of the original. Also, co-opting existing characters is a way to bring attention to certain issues. "The Wind Done Gone" was pretty cool, and it's unlikely the subject matter would have gotten as much attention had it not used the Gone With the Wind stuff.

For this particular doujinshi... Well, I'm familiar enough with crossovers and this comes pretty close to what's discussed in the LoXG companion book "Gods and Monsters", on just how many fictional characters exist in this one universe. I think it's neat seeing all these toons in the same world- but I wish it used a broader range of toons, not just what's been on CN the past couple of years or gets shelf space in Hot Topic. Correction: most of what gets HT play. I see plenty of 80s toon stuff there.

7. moe-ron

moe-ron Member

Think about it, if you take Grimm tales and replace the characters with originals, nobody would had thought of billy and mandy, mostly because of how OC the characters are and becauses this could easily be applied to generic demons and angels.
    So im pretty much sure that he can come up with original characters and concepts, like stated before me, its a matter of approach, there will be always be stuff "you based on" but the product will still be original.

If you think about it, his refusal to use originals is part of the problem, you can't really take seriously the story with so many cameos.

The guy has ONE and only ONE original character, called Ginger, i would love to see him elaborate an universe for her.

8. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

I don't read his comics but I do like his artwork.

9. moe-ron

moe-ron Member

well, well look at that, he finished his grim tales chapter and now he is running a poll to see what he will do now.
    If you ACTUALLY care, you can vote to bring PPGD up again, or even better, actually get him to do something original.

Poll here: http://bleedman.deviantart.com/journal/poll/206614/

#49 moe-ron, Feb 18, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2007
  10. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

If I were him, I'd stick to making fancomics on the web. If he were to start an original comic, he should get it published in an actual comic book.
    I mean, making an online comic on an original idea with his talent, is like skipping a chance to earn money doing something he's great at.

11. judyindisguise

judyindisguise Active Member

I think you're right. Bleedman has invested a lot of originality into his fancomic, and it's pretty solid whether you've ever seen Nightmare Before Christmas or Billy and Mandy or not. Like you, I'd love to see him create something original. But I'm still not sure about his writing skills. He's an excellent artist, he's great at layout and pacing, and he's a fine "comic actor", if you know what I mean - but sometimes his dialogue limps a little. Despite that, if he does create an original comic and produced it via conventional publishing, I'd certainly pay for it, FWIW.

12. KratosRocks

KratosRocks Guest

I also like the Grim Tales, more than the PPGD. It would be funny uf Bleedman put Frank, the giant bunny rabbit of the movie Donnie Darko in the story.

13. DBZNarutoWarrior

lol That bunny was very strange.

14. Mandi-chan

Mandi-chan Active Member

I love PPG Doujinshi, and am patiently awaiting his continuation of the story (Awesome crossovers, and a great storyline as well!).

However, I wasn't too thrilled with his other comic, Grim Tales (I liked the crossovers, but found the storyline to be kinda dull.).

I've heard that he started another comic, "Sugar Bits" (or something like that)...how is it?

Is it an original comic, or another crossover story?

15. Leviathan

Leviathan "It's against nature!"
    Staff Member Moderator

Bleedman's not just great; He's an inspiration. He's influenced pretty much everything I've done in fan-anything since 2004.

16. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It's all original.