My Little Pony: FIM The Movie Pre-Release Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by trance2009, Nov 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

2. SweetShop209

SweetShop209 Well-Known Member

It's nice to see the main series voice actors get more love in the promotion these days

• Like Like x 1
  3. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I avoid seeing movies on opening day, I try to catch matinee showings on weekdays. Cheaper and less crowded that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

A sneak peek will be shown during the season finale of America's Got Talent tomorrow night.

• Like Like x 1
    #124 PinkiePie97, Sep 19, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
  5. Toon4Thought

Toon4Thought Giving a slightly closer look.

By this point, the marketing has me so hyped that I'm getting increasingly thrilled for this film with time, which is already a high bar to lift. The animation has majorly evolved since the first trailer, with any flaws it initially had like unnatural lighting or stilted movements have been patched up, resulting in it looking quite beautiful overall. I really can't stress enough how much I love how everything is pushed to the next level to really give it a cinematic vibe, since I'm the kind of guy who focuses an awful lot on presentation.

Earlier today, I booked a ticket for the Thursday night showing at 7:05pm. That's how excited I am. Get hyped.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Here's the sneak peek. It's mostly stuff we've already seen, but unless I'm forgetting something (which is possible), I think there's a little new stuff (I don't remember the part at 0:40).

• Like Like x 1
  7. Toon4Thought

I believe there's about 5-7 new shots in there.

But regardless, just the fact this got national television exposure is a testament to how far this franchise has come.

• Like Like x 1
  8. zoombie

zoombie Well-Known Member

Well I already know some of the story beats of what we are going to see, not only form what I seen in this series, but what I see in fiction generally. For example we know Tempset and Grubber are going to be redeemed. I even know Tempset is going is over time to care about Grubber like a little brother. But that is just my prediction.

Than again this franchise has surprised me before, in the first movie Draggle and Reeka should have redeemed, the movie made them very sympathic and they don't get an happy ending. But that is a different era, if that story was done by this generation of writers, Draggle and Reeka would get redeemed.

9. Takao

Takao Fight the darkness all around

Maybe as a one-night only event thing in limited locations, but Zim isn't popular enough to warrant a 2000+ theatrical run.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. AnotherRandomGuy

AnotherRandomGuy The cat's in the cradle

The official Hasbro channel just released the songs from the movie

Gotta say, I really love Tempest's song

Interesting thing actually. While MLP:FiM redeems it's villains so much it's almost a running joke at this point (Despite characters like Triek still being evil but whatever), when compared to your average children's film, that's something that almost never happens. Think about it, most of your average Disney villains are either killed or otherwise never seen again but still evil after their defeat. The same could be said for Dreamworks, Bluth, or even Sony Animation. The closest thing I could think of the a villainous redemption in a movie was Big Hero 6, if barely. MLP could be one of the very few exceptions to the rule.

Mostly anyway, I don't think Storm King will be redeemed in any shape or form.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    #130 AnotherRandomGuy, Sep 22, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
  11. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Been watching Nick and CN all week, haven't seen a single ad for the movie.
    Now that Ninjago'a out, they'll be rolling it out more. But two weeks is really cutting it close.

I don't get it. Rovio reportedly sunk in $300 million of their own cash to promote The Angry Birds Movie, and that thing was getting TV ads months in advance of the film's premiere. You'd think Hasbro, one of the largest toy companies in the country, would be able to do something similar. The only ads I'm seeing for the film are just toy tie-ins. Will that be enough?

12. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I just saw an ad on Nick.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Toon4Thought

That's strange to hear, considering we know for a fact no less than three TV ads were made for it.

14. AnotherRandomGuy

AnotherRandomGuy The cat's in the cradle

Same here. Most of the ads I've seen have been on Nick's channels.

15. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Well-Known Member

Just saw a commercial during a Loud House episode break. If commercials airs during SBSP too, then plenty of the intended target audience should be informed of the film.

16. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

17. VG_Addict

VG_Addict Member

How do you think the movie will do? By this, I mean how will the movie do at the box office? Do you think it could break box office records? Could it at least be number one on opening weekend?

18. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

Given how it's going up against the Blade Runner sequel that weekend, I doubt it (I could see it finishing in second, though).

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I also don't think it will break any box office records.

20. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I don't know what movies that stand to be big hits are coming out between now and when MLP does, but from the looks of things, but realistically I see the film opening in second or third place.

I think the Lego Ninjago movie's underperformance is proof of two things: not having any competition with other family films doesn't guarantee success, and people might not be willing to see an animated film based off a toy, or at least something that can be watched on television.

It'll be interesting to see this film open in first place though. I just think it's highly unlikely.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.