1. If you are seeing non-stop CMP acceptance notifications, go here and we will help you troubleshoot:
    https://www.toonzone.net/forums/threads/non-stop-cmp-acceptance-notice.5663692/
    If you are seeing non-stop Privacy/ToS acceptance notifications, go here:
    https://www.toonzone.net/forums/threads/non-stop-privacy-terms-acceptance.5663702/
    If you are seeing threads with no posts at all, go here:
    https://www.toonzone.net/forums/threads/threads-with-no-content.5663811/
    Please note that these are separate issues. Posting in the correct thread will help us resolve the issue faster.
    Dismiss Notice

My Little Pony Equestria Girls Specials Talkback

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by zoombie, Jun 12, 2017.

1. zoombie

zoombie Well-Known Member

Well since the English version is out there, I will start this thread if you want to discuss, though until they air in the U.S., keep all spoilers in a spoiler tag. Feel free to discuss.

D-Poet17 likes this.
  2. zoombie

Dance Magic

With the Camp Everfree fundraising deadline looming, the Equestria Girls realize they need a new plan to raise more money and are ready to try new things.

Discuss

D-Poet17 likes this.
  3. Toon4Thought

Toon4Thought Giving a slightly closer look.

Recently, a lot of people have been asking whether or not EQG could work as a series, many even speculating that these specials are a test run for that. And personally, I would quite like to see it happen because I always feel there's a lot of potential with the world that the TV movie format doesn't really allow them to take advantage of. And I think "Dance Magic" gives a very good indication on the direction it could take.

One thing I should say this special nails is that it gets that not every story needs a huge magical phenomenon or huge emotional arc. Sometimes just watching these familiar characters being their likable selves alongside a more modern-day flair is all you'll need, and I think it does that job very well. It just feels so refreshing to explore how the characters we know and love could function in a society and form that far greater resembles our own, while still keeping enough of the MLP charm. And I think finally seeing an EQG story take a pure slice of life direction really allows that to truly shine, as those were always my favorite parts of the movies and I always found myself a little bummed out when it had to be pushed aside in act 3. Sure, there's a little magic shown at the end, but it's kept at a somewhat minimal level that doesn't at all intrude with the plot.

EQG Rarity is incredibly likable as the main character, in a way that makes me wish we'd get more in-depth looks at how their Mane 6 differ from their counterparts. The others also get some good moments in, trying to be supportive but rightfully doubting such ambitious ideas (on a similar note, it's pretty interesting seeing Sunset Shimmer in a side role for once). The Crystal Prep girls also get a really nice role, making them much more interesting and multi-dimensional than their first appearance. The fact they ended up not being full-on antagonists and instead combines their talents with Canterlot High's is actually quite a well done twist. The song itself is quite catchy and enjoyable, too.

The actual writing can get a little hokey sometimes, and the story itself isn't the greatest in the world, but it still has really good pacing throughout and has enough twists to keep the audience engaged. And again, there's just too much charm in the elements listed above for me not to thoroughly enjoy it. If they do make an EQG series and most eps are on the same level as this, I'd be completely on board with it. I'm really glad to see that not only are they finally going for something less ambitious with the property, but that IMO they very much succeeded in such.

D-Poet17 and PinkiePie97 like this.
  4. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I liked it. I enjoyed Rarity in it. I do like that she decided to help the Crystal Prep Girls rather than go with her original video upon finding out that they didn't actually have anything. I also enjoyed seeing the video ideas the others had and I liked the song.

D-Poet17 likes this.
  5. zoombie

Well this was great, I would be interested in seeing a Equestria Girls series, and if the Crystal Prep girls are recurring characters, even more to sign me up.

The Crystal Prep girls quirks are more toned down, in some cases like Sour Sweat's split personality quirk is gone, though we still have Sugar Coat doing her thing and being my favorite. Though really it was only Sour Sweet, Sugar Coat, and Lemon Zest. I thought Sunny Flare and Indigo Zap were just there being overly competitive like everybody else. Indigo Zap is not even in this, though I did read a fan fic in which Indigo is related to Principal Cynch, and that is why she is gone, I doubt that. Anyone they feel more like complete characters.

Speaking of which, Cynch is gone, I wonder if she was fired, quit, or just disappeared, either way good riddance. Though if we get a series, would it only be a mater of time she comes back to get revenge?

Human Rarity and Sour Sweet, I kind of ship that. They look so cute together.

I love the song "Dance Magic" one of my favorite songs on the Friendship Games sound track, and now we have a video for it, and all the girls looked awesome in it, love the dance moves.

I hope we see that school dance in which the Rainbooms preform at the Crystal Prep dance, and maybe just to see Twlight, Tender show up. I wonder the reaction of the Crystal Prep girls of seeing previous timed and isolated Twilight, has come so far she has a love interest.

First special, we are off to a great start.

D-Poet17 likes this.
  6. zoombie

The specials are not up on I Tunes, dam it. Well it come out or not or have to wait for all three specials to air.

D-Poet17 likes this.
  7. zoombie

Movie Magic

The Equestria Girls have been specially invited by A.K. Yearling to go on the set of the upcoming Daring Do movie and they are overjoyed. For super-fan Rainbow Dash, watching behind the scenes as her favorite heroine comes to life is a dream come true. However, when a rare and important prop from the set goes missing, putting the movie on hold, Rainbow Dash’s dream becomes a nightmare. The Equestria Girls take it upon themselves to track down the missing prop and end up trotting into a real-life Daring Do adventure!

Discuss

D-Poet17 likes this.
  8. zoombie

This when was a good old fashion mystery, I felt Scooby Do vibes from this, I am just disappointed when they unmask the culprit no one said "now lets find out who you really are."

I knew it was Juniper all long, it was obvious.

So our heroes are not shy about using magic in public, I guess this series if it ever became a series it is going to be lazier fair with these magic and super natural elements like Steven Universe and Star vs the Forces of Evil.

So far looks like the Daring Doo is entirely fictional, so good they got that right, let's hope it stays that way.

D-Poet17 likes this.
  9. Toon4Thought

If Dance Magic showed how entertaining an EQG series could turn out, this one also shows how lackluster it could get on an off day. Not that it's bad or anything, but it couldn't seem to fully grab my interest.

When I first saw this, I had trouble really pinpointing why I felt this lukewarm, and I think I found out why: most of this episode is extremely dialogue-heavy. The first half is basically mostly just talking heads, and while some of the interactions are fun, it gets tiring after a while. The second half does have more going on, but there's still a lot of rather slow scenes and the chase scenes feel like they are trying to be wacky (because Scooby Doo) but couldn't quite pull it off. It doesn't help that the new characters here are rather forgettable IMO. Probably the only one that manages to pull through is Juniper Montage, and even she isn't as fleshed out as she could've been.

The actual story, even though it was somewhat predictable, was at least competently executed and they did do a good job spreading out the clues throughout the episode. And there's a few more things this has going for it too, like the various fangasms and the Power Ponies
    outfits, and again the characters do all get some fun moments and interactions. Plus, it was nice seeing a few more magical abilities being used.

So, while it's not without its merits, of the three specials it's the one I by far see the least reason to rewatch. Now, the last one is definitely the one I have the most to talk about; I've already brought it up a lot on one or two other places. I better try not to ramble on next week.

D-Poet17 likes this.
  10. Radical

Radical The Face of Evil & Epicness!!!!!

Dance Magic and Movie Magic were pretty sweet/funny, love the My Little Pony: Equestria Girls Movies/Specials, cool to see them,

Human Twilight and her friends raising money to help Camp Everfree to do a dance video was great.
    Human Rarity's major focus was cute/sweet on creating the dance video with great ideas:D.
    More of Human Sunset the anti-heroine ally like Starlight, Aashi, and Peridot/Lapis/Topaz was great.
    Human Twilight and her friends' good moments on their dance video ideas was sweet.
    Love Sour Sweet/The Crystal Prep Girls, great new female enemies after loving Midnight Sparkle/Gloriosa Daisy:D, but nice they turn good.
    Both Human Twilight and her friends and the Crystal Prep Girls working together with a great dance video was great:D, sweet song.
    I hope to see the Crystal Prep Girls return as great new female friends.

Human Rainbow such a Daring Do fangirl was so great/funny:p.
    Both Juniper/Chestnut, great new female characters while Chestnut is another New Diamond Tiara, hehehe.
    Human Twilight and her friends to solve the mystery and track down the culprit was great, nice Scooby-Doo vibe:D.
    Lots of great fun moments with Human Twilight and her friends, they look cute/hot as the Power Ponies.
    Juniper the culprit, I knew it, my favorite new villainess, but poor Juniper though.
    A great ending and funny from Human Rainbow, hahahahahaha.

#10 Radical, Jul 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
    D-Poet17 likes this.
  11. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I liked Movie Magic. I liked the story and enjoyed the chase scenes. I also liked Juniper and enjoyed the other characters as well.

D-Poet17 likes this.
  12. GuillermoGage

GuillermoGage New Member

This is gonna be a long and meandering post. But these forums seem pretty decent and not too full of horse drama or cartoon fandom drama.

I was sure that I'd detest the first three Equestria Girls movies but forced myself to eventually watch them and did indeed end up detesting them, but Legend of Everfree looked interesting and I ended up giving the EqG series a fourth chance.

I ended up trudging through the first three movies during those few days last year as a refresher and still generally disliked them, but then found that the fourth time is a charm for Legend of Everfree.

So I went from an EqG hater who was hoping to pretend that the whole thing didn't exist, to a reluctant fan of certain aspects of it because of how cute the characters are now.

Dance Magic was super-cute.

Up until seeing this episode, I still had trouble remembering which Crystal Prep/Shadowbolts girls are which names, let alone what makes them distinct, whenever seeing them being brought up in discussions online or fanart or whatever. They simply weren't very memorable to me in Friendship Games, and ... i don't think they were in Legend of Everfree. I do recall that their hair and skin color schemes were sorta neon and fruity, but I barely remembered a couple of their names, such as Lemon Zest and Indigo Zap.

Now I can name off the main five ones and now their names sorta make sense to me based on their hair colors. I still don't have much of a feel for the characters as individuals, but at least they are well voice-acted. Maybe they had more personality in Friendship Games.

I quite like the clothes and dancing/choreography in this episode-thing. I used to strongly dislike the overall look of EqG characters, but especially didn't like that when it comes to the main girls, but especially the female characters in general, that "they all wear skirts' but for some reason I'm now rather okay with Pinkie Pie, Applejack, Rarity, Fluttershy, and Rainbow Dash even tho they wear the same outfits as their 2013 debut.

Comparatively speaking, maybe I am simply retroactively okay with these clothes because most females in real life these days constantly are wearing tight little shorts going way way up their bare thighs, or thin form-fitting pants that either have tiny, shallow and useless pockets or no pockets at all precisely because they would get in the way of demonstrating every curve of a woman's figure.

Yeah, you never see the main EqG girls really carrying purses or having their smartphones jutting out of skinny-jeans back pockets from not wanting to reach into a bag to quick pull it out but also not wanting apparently too baggy clothing that can actually fit a fairly thin object.

Meanwhile in real life modern Western society if a man owns one of those 6-inch screen smartphones or tablet things (I don't personally; I carry a wallet, 4.7-inch smartphone used only for Wi-Fi with no phone plan, and a flip phone with an actual cellular phone plan) or even also with a protective case making it even thicker, he's still obligated to have that thing resting in a deep, loose thigh pocket (never anything that looks remotely like a "purse") while wearing loose-ass pants that triply overcompensate for the size of his junk while making it anyone's guess if he actually has any fat or substance on the shape of his upper legs or butt. Like, I do understand that guys need some more space for their junk, but it's never going way down a pants leg swinging past our knees.

So anyway, yeah, Movie Magic and Mirror Magic weren't as fun to me as the first "Equestria Girls specials/ Equestria Girls 5". My jimmies actually did not get rustled from seeing the brief moment of interacting with the pony world. Altho I don't have any problem with a human Starlight, the fact that it was the pony one crossing over into the human world and getting used to it way faster than even the pony-Twi made me take the episode not as seriously, even tho the episode was portrayed as more serious and moral-heavy than the other two.

D-Poet17 likes this.
  13. Toon4Thought

@GuillermoGage I'm glad you feel that way towards these forums. Yes, there is generally less drama here. Just out of curiosity, what made Legend of Everfree somewhat win you over compared to the others?

D-Poet17 likes this.
  14. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Managed to watch all three. All really enjoyable.
    Hope they make more!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D-Poet17 likes this.
  15. Toon4Thought

Yeah, I personally would really want to see a series of this. Dance Magic proved a more slice of life direction could easily work, and there's a ton of great possibilities right off the top of my head that I feel the TV movie format wouldn't really allow them to take advantage of.

Many have speculated these shorts are meant as a 'test' for a series, which I personally hope is the case. There's just too many things that I think would suck for them to never explore at this point; this feeling is by far the strongest in Mirror Magic, but I'll talk more about that when it airs.

D-Poet17 likes this.
  16. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I concur! They handled slice-of-life, "Scooby-Doo" mysteries, and magical "monster of the week", formats well over the specials. And it can work both as standalone and as an ongoing storyline.
    The potential is definitely there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D-Poet17 likes this.
  17. Toon4Thought

Yeah. If anything, the specials just give more reason to make it a series, both in terms of opening up a lot of interesting opportunities that I hope they will take advantage of (there's a few brought up in Mirror Magic I particularly want to see them do, which I will be sure to highlight) and showing how it can help fill in gaps they couldn't before.

If they are meant as a test, I do truly hope these wind up being successful enough to merit it. In a sense, I'm kind of more invested than this than I am with FiM at this point, strange as that may sound.

D-Poet17 likes this.
  18. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I've actually been more into EG than MLP myself lately, at least as far as the more recent episodes go.

D-Poet17 likes this.
  19. Toon4Thought

I mean, season 7 (at least, the eps I've seen of it) has helped rekindle a lot of my love for the main show. Though I will admit I enjoyed Legend of Everfree a good amount more than most of season 6, which IMO wasn't bad but just felt kind of lacking.

Honestly, a large part of why I'm going on about this now is because the specials basically alleviated any doubts I had about the format working for them. A 13-episode per season basis could easily work IMO.

#19 Toon4Thought, Jul 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
    D-Poet17 likes this.
  20. Egon1982

Egon1982 Member

Did anyone think the first movie borrowed some elements from The Last Unicorn (book and movie) and a bit like Back to the Future?

D-Poet17 likes this.