'Muppet Babies' (2018) on Disney Junior: News and Discussion Thread

• We have upgraded to Xenforo 2. We've decided to open the forums back up while we configure the theme and plugins. Thanks for your patience.

Latest News

Yoshimickster

Sep 21, 2016
Ratings
166 1
....really conflicted on the new Bobbi character, and Piggy's jealousy of said character. I mean what, did Piggy and Kermit have a loud break-up before watching Pitch-Perfect 2, causing her to hate the face of Elizabeth Banks? Because unless they are adults making said scenario sensical...I shall remain skeptical.

And yes, I like all right-minded Muppet fans are still irked by the cancellation of "The Muppets". THIS WAS WHAT JIM HENSON WANTED YOU MONSTERS!

PinkiePie97

Staff member
Aug 14, 2015
Ratings
4,967 41
Massachusetts
cartoon-info-blog.blogspot.com
To be honest, I'm not that surprised. Lately, it seems a lot of shows have been getting rebooted, so it was only a matter of time before something about Muppet Babies came along. I've only seen one episode of the original, but if this does happen, I'll take a look when it comes out.
Interesting! Too bad it's going to be only for preschoolers. Oh well, I guess that's better suited than Mickey Mouse Clubhouse.
Just because it's airing on Disney Junior doesn't mean older audiences can't enjoy it. I don't know what you think of Sofia the First, but it's gained older fans, despite being on Disney Junior. The Lion Guard isn't that bad either.

I.R. Shokew

DISGRACED and Rooting ONLY for Underdogs
Sep 26, 2011
Ratings
1,741 8
Who wants to find me that badly anymore?
I'd still prefer that Muppets show getting a second season as well, but it's too late for that. We can only hope this is just as good (but see who it's aiming for, I don't feel it'll be better, to remain just a little optimistic...).

Then again, I've been itching for a show like Muppet Babies after realizing how much better a show like LPS (2012) could have been, had it actually taken THAT route. Getting the real thing and having it be good will hopefully ease my disappointment.

TsWade2

Apr 5, 2015
Ratings
300 5
To be honest, I'm not that surprised. Lately, it seems a lot of shows have been getting rebooted, so it was only a matter of time before something about Muppet Babies came along. I've only seen one episode of the original, but if this does happen, I'll take a look when it comes out.

Just because it's airing on Disney Junior doesn't mean older audiences can't enjoy it. I don't know what you think of Sofia the First, but it's gained older fans, despite being on Disney Junior. The Lion Guard isn't that bad either.
As a matter of fact, I enjoy Sofia the First and The Lion Guard. In fact, I thought Sofia the First might be good game changer to make a dora the explorer like shows to fade away.

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
Ratings
In a Dream World
I only vaguely remember watching Muppet Babies back in the day, but I did enjoy it. I think it was one of the first shows I tried to record on VHS, which I could never work out that well with my VCRs for some reason. A reboot sounds neat and I think it could work really well on Disney Junior. They have been making better shows for that block lately and the designs for the characters are nice and cute, so I'd check it out if it does get made.

Peter Paltridge

Ay Carumba
Staff member
Sep 24, 2003
Ratings
770 7
Stars Hollow
www.platypuscomix.net
Interesting! Too bad it's going to be only for preschoolers. Oh well, I guess that's better suited than Mickey Mouse Clubhouse.
So was the original, technically.

Of all the things that get remade, this really needs one. Thanks to all the live-action clips in every episode, it's impossible to release the original again.

EJLD4Ever

Animation Student
Mar 29, 2008
Ratings
Seattle Area, WA
It would be interesting if they did a Baby Looney Tunes-type format--two 8-9-minute segments bridged by a short music video. Considering BLT used these music videos as a means to show babyfied versions of characters who were otherwise not part of the main cast (Elmer Fudd, Yosemite Sam, Porky Pig, Pepe Le Pew, Roadrunner, Wile E Coyote, Foghorn Leghorn, etc.), then the new MB could possibly use it to show babyfied version of the Swedish Chef, the rest of the Electric Mayhem, and even some of the newer characters like Pepe or Denise.

MDawg

Nerfariously planning
Aug 26, 2001
Ratings
807 4
Not of your damn business
www.zimed.net
It's now official and coming in 2018.
Muppet Babies will make your dreams come true… again! Look out for new, reimagined #MuppetBabies adventures coming to @DisneyJunior in 2018.

Edit: More info from Deadline.
The new series will be geared towards kids 4-7, with each episode featuring two 11-minute stories. Plots will focus on adventure themes, like the Muppet Babies building a time machine or flying through outer space. Disney Junior says the stories are “designed to highlight creative and critical thinking skills by harnessing the power and potential of imaginative play.”
Tom Warburton (The 7D) will serve as executive producer and Emmy Award-winner Eric Shaw (SpongeBob SquarePants) is story editor.
Can't find any word if Nanny will be making the leap to the new property yet.

SweetShop209

Jan 5, 2014
Ratings
2,252 8
Never seen Muppet Babies, but why is it and this new show animated? Why don't they use puppets and puppeteers like everything else Muppet related?
The original show was also fully animated, so this is no surprise.

As for the idea of the reboot, I think it has potential to be good seeing as to who some of the crew members are and the increasing quality for Disney Junior shows. Plus, considering that the 2015 ABC Mupets show had low ratings and mixed reviews leading to it's cancellation, and how the Muppet Moments shorts on Disney Junior are well received by both kids and adults, a Muppet Babies reboot seems like the best option, especially since the original aired on Playhouse Disney in most countries. Now we just need a voice cast.

Leviathan

"It's against nature!"
Staff member
I was pretty meh on the news until I heard of Tom Warburton's involvement. It should be good.

Here's hoping they keep the theme song.

Of all the things that get remade, this really needs one. Thanks to all the live-action clips in every episode, it's impossible to release the original again.
According to Hank Saroyan (the producer of the original show), those clips were licensed in perpetuity and with future media in mind. A few episodes were released on DVD just before Disney bought the Muppet properties, which bears that out.

I hope this at least inspires them to put the original show on iTunes, like the gaggle of Disney Afternoon shows that just hit.

Last edited:

defunctzombie

1992 not 2002
Staff member
Jul 9, 2008
Ratings
399 1
Dream Land
www.defunctzombie.net
Why so many who haven't watched Muppet Babies? This is a tragedy! Children's TV is missing out. No Muppet Babies, Eureka's Castle, Grimm's Fairy Tales and Maya the Bee (which you may not have realized were anime), Fraggle Rock... I must be old. ^^;

Never seen Muppet Babies, but why is it and this new show animated? Why don't they use puppets and puppeteers like everything else Muppet related?
The original was an idea coined from the "I'm Gonna Always Love You" segment in Muppets Take Manhattan, which was done with baby puppets. The point of the show was more along the lines of getting kids engaged in make-believe, so they couldn't really do what they had planned with puppetry. But they were creative with the animation-on-movie clips format of the show, which has sadly kept its home video release relegated to 30 second clips on documentaries. Here's some info about it: http://www.henson.com/jimsredbook/2012/04/4131984/

But the good news is that Disney now owns Muppets, Marvel Productions (who produced the show) and Lucasfilm (Star Wars was a big source of clips). If they keep buying up properties, they'll eventually own everything that was featured in the show! ;)