MGM Cartoons version differences discussion

• We have upgraded to Xenforo 2. We've decided to open the forums back up while we configure the theme and plugins. Thanks for your patience.

Latest News

Daffyrocks

"I'm Daffy the Gaucho!"
Jul 22, 2014
Ratings
1,086 15
Bucharest, Romania
Hmm... Odd to see that MGM logo in this episode. I usually thought, that with that MGM logo, the end card should be bigger tho.
That's because they just took the red MGM logo and put it over the remastered reissue print of "Heavenly Puss". This apparently happens on every TV airing of this remastered short.

Nov 15, 2009
Ratings
22 1
Lapeer, Michigan, U.S.A
I wasn't sure if this was appropriate to post on this thread at first, but since the Pink Panther's distributor, United Artists, is currently acquired by MGM, why not? Here's a little print version comparison to a Pink Panther cartoon (specifically, his debut short entitled "The Pink Phink").

A. 1969 TV print (from a Polish network TVRip)
B. 1980s WGN syndicated TV print (from a Russian network TVRip)
C. Mid/late 90s VHS print (from a TV Cultura TVRip)
D. Current DVD print (from the Pink Panther Classic Cartoon Collection DVD set)

Last edited:

Charly9631

Think! Think! Think!
Aug 2, 2017
Ratings
It's simple, really. George Gorden directed that short.
According to Internet Movie Database and Wikipedia, they say that George Gordon directed the short.
Meanwhile, for some kinda odd reasons, they decided not to show the director and the producer of the cartoon.

Last edited:

Charly9631

Think! Think! Think!
Aug 2, 2017
Ratings
Anyone here still have an alternative print of The Flying Sorceress that starts with e red Tanner Lion Logo ? So far I only found 1 picture of that print but it was recorded pretty poorly. CN and Boomerang SE Asia used to broadcast this rare NTSC print on television. 3f8f4fe42e2499c5249c84144e3a6335.jpg

Daffyrocks

"I'm Daffy the Gaucho!"
Jul 22, 2014
Ratings
1,086 15
Bucharest, Romania
Anyone here still have an alternative print of The Flying Sorceress that starts with e red Tanner Lion Logo ? So far I only found 1 picture of that print but it was recorded pretty poorly. CN and Boomerang SE Asia used to broadcast this rare NTSC print on television. View attachment 118662
I can't find it. Sorry

Daffyrocks

"I'm Daffy the Gaucho!"
Jul 22, 2014
Ratings
1,086 15
Bucharest, Romania

And those pan-and-scans are almost identical to the Turner versions. Also, in my opinion this was a smart move in order to make fake Academy Aspect Ratio versions of these T&J cartoons, which are slightly better in my opinion than letting the opening and end sequences in the original format, leaving people to confusions. These versions would have been way better than the Turner versions of the Cinemascope shorts, by leaving everything in 4:3 and making the Academy Aspect ratio illusion more clear.

Cool_Cat

Mar 20, 2015
Ratings
541 8
Italy
So, this is the history of how the Cinemascope shorts got treated:

-The first prints MGM sent to TVs were pretty much all stretched to the Academy Ratio. For an example the Italian dubs of Tom's Photo Finish and The Vanishing Duck used those.
-Then MGM sent prints with Pan & Scan, but they cut the titles of the stretched versions into the reel. Sometimes they cut into the reel the normal MGM Lion. That transfer of The Flying Sorceress I posted was from the one made on film, in fact all the shots are the same as the old Italian version (except the lion card).
-Then they made new transfers off the actual Cinemascope films with virtual Pan & Scan.

I have a feeling the Turner version of Pet Peeve could have been taken from a rare stretched version, because I don't remember digital shot movements and such.

Cool_Cat

Mar 20, 2015
Ratings
541 8
Italy
Woooow, nice find there.

Unfortunately it was bought already. I still contacted Jerry about this, so we may be able to do something.

If it wasn’t sold already when you posted it, you should be careful.