Marvel's Spider-Man "Spider-Island, Parts 1-5" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Feb 4, 2018.

?

"Marvel's Spider-Man: Spider-Island" - Rate & Discuss the Story-Arc!

1. *****

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. ShadowBlinky

ShadowBlinky One Cool Spider

Spider-Man in a Spider-Slayer. The definition of the word iiiiiiiiiiiiironyyyyyyyyyyyy.:p

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. SweetShop209

SweetShop209 Well-Known Member

Well, that was ....., awesome! Talk about intense!

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

For the most part, this three-parter was pretty good. Lots of action, drama that Ultimate was missing, and I do like the emphasis put on plot that other Marvel cartoons haven't had recently.

But good lord, Harry keeps going in circles. I wonder how many times he can flip-flop in one season.

I also wish they had addressed if Black Widow had turned into a monster or not.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I’m surprised the people who decided to fight HYDRA alongside Spider-Man didn’t show up.
    Overall this was nice. I wasn’t expecting Harry to find out. I wonder how long until he tells Norman.
    So...is Gwen and Ayla gonna keep their powers or what?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

And was Black Widow cured or not?

Marvel's Spider-Man "Spider-Island: Part Three"

It's fun to see Peter allowed to do superheroics without his costume. I also like that he's annoyed that everyone else has biological webs while he's stuck with web-shooters.

I notice that Peter marked the spider drawing on Anya's shoulder rather than her chest. Good boundaries for Peter there.

When I heard what Monster-Gwen was doing to Kraven, at first it sounded far more gruesome than merely wrapping him in the web.

First appearance of the Goblin Glider.

If Kraven figures out who Peter is, that's bad, because he's likely to do it on camera.

Good third part. ***1/2.

Marvel's Spider-Man "Spider-Island: Part Four"

That was totally boss. Best episode so far.

So much happened and so much of it was awesome.

But it's a total black mark against Peter that that was the first time he thought to check on Aunt May. She hasn't been on the show enough and that was a case in point.

Miles does not speak in this episode because then the writers would have to pay his voice actor.

Awesome. *****.

Marvel's Spider-Man "Spider-Island: Part Five"

Gee, Harry, I can't for one SECOND imagine why Peter never wanted to tell you he was Spider-Man. It's a total mystery there.

This show cheaping out on the voice actors is annoying. Not only should Gwen have had a speaking part at the end. But they clearly animated Flash saying something upon being changed back but were too cheap not only to hire his actor, but to change the animation so it didn't look like he was speaking. Amateur hour on Team Spider-Man.

I loved Part 4 but the last underwhelmed completely. ***.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Did anyone else notice the show constantly going slo-mo for certain action moments? Was that a stylistic choice or some kind of cost-saving method? I think the slo-mo works for Peter's Spider-Sense or thinking moments but I think it's a bit much for each and every action scene :knd1:.

I'm curious how they're going to deal with Gwen's newfound fame as a Superhero. Will she still be a celebrity now that she doesn't have powers anymore? And will she still want to be one if she gets her powers again :ack:?

It's really weird whenever a random, non-Harry Osborn, citizen calls Spider-Man a "menace." Like, why do they call him that? Are we supposed to assume that the Bugle has already started it's smear campaign even if we won't really get to see it until next season? It just always feels kind of weird :shrug:.

"Mr. Stacy?" Wait, so George Stacy exists in this universe? I guess it's nice to finally know that Gwen does live with an actual parent, but I'm still wondering if we're ever going to actually see Captain Stacy show up o_O.

Poor Gwen. She finally becomes a Superhero and teams-up with Spider-Man and then she becomes a giant mutated Man-Spider (or Woman-Spider?). At least she got to help stop Kraven, even if it was kind of creepy how she did it :eek:.

Anya is Gwen's best friend? Since when? I mean, we've seen them together but I can't for the life of me recall any significant, personal, moments between the two of them. Honestly I think you could make the case that Peter seems more like Gwen's best friend then Anya does :rolleyes2:.

Anya is so much more likeable when she has more to do on this show then give Peter a hard time, or actually acts normally around him :).

Uh...does Harry have a license to drive that portable lab :harley:?

It's nice to see the show finally remember that Aunt May exists, even if she then promptly transformed into a spider-monster not long after :sweat:.

It was kind of neat seeing Peter not be Spider-Man for a good deal of this arc. It threw in an interesting dynamic as he had to go around fighting as Peter Parker and cover for himself more, and his fight with Kraven was pretty cool :cool:.

It was fun seeing Kraven again as he shows back up in New York to hunt down the spider-monsters, and I liked the touch of him recognizing Spider-Man's scent on Peter and then remembering his grudge against Osborn. It was also really awesome seeing him give the heroes a good run for their money :D.

Y'know, that's actually a good question...what was Norman trying to achieve with that bomb he was setting up as Stealth Spider? They never did explain it o_O.

Is anyone really surprised The Jackal was behind everything? I mean, the whole Spider-Army thing was his plan from the very start :evil:.

I'm kind of surprised they turned Norman Osborn into a giant spider-monster before they turned him into the Green Goblin. I'm even more surprised he got a more dynamic and involved fight with the Jackal then Spider-Man did :melissa:.

So Peter was wearing his Spider-Man costume underneath his Osborn suit? So he was basically wearing a skintight costume underneath a skintight costume. How could he even breathe in there :oops:?

It's nice to see there actually be an explanation for why Miles vanished from the plot for once :elle:.

I am so done with Miles not having a codename. I mean, Peter basically just called out his name in front of The Jackal, with no apprehension whatsoever. What happened to the big deal about Miles needing to keep his identity a secret :mad:!?

When you see how inconsistent and volatile Harry is when it comes to Spider-Man, always so quick to blame and hate him for vague and undefined reasons for even the slightest of things, can you really blame Peter for not telling Harry his secret :sad:?

"I could kiss you!" Anya, you're in a Marvel cartoon, we all know you're not kissing anybody :p.

I think that's the first time I've ever seen Norman Osborn say he's proud of Harry for actually good reasons :eek:.

It was nice to see Flash and Liz make a cameo among the cured New Yorkers, but are we ever going to find out what's going on with them after Midtown blew up :confused:?

When did this show become Anthem? The heroes piloting Mecha suits at the end almost made this feel like a completely different cartoon, though the irony of Spider-Man piloting a Spider-Slayer was kind of funny :rolleyes2:.

I'm surprised The Jackal managed to escape at the end. We didn't even see him react to Spider-Man stopping his plan. I guess we need him in the wind to go ahead and clone Spider-Man...

Who knew all it took to get Gwen to let her hair down was transforming her back from being a mutated spider-monster? I think she should wear it down more often :anime:.

So Spider-Man saves New York but at the cost of his friendship with Harry. But seriously though Harry, you realize Oz Academy was basically only the smallest part of the actual OsCorp building, right :rolleyes:?

I wonder if the radioactive blood that got injected into Norman from Peter's blood will end up contributing to him becoming the Green Goblin somehow, though with his condition at the end I wouldn't be surprised if Norman ends up developing the Goblin Serum to fix his body :ack:.
    I think we saw Harry with a prototype in an earlier episode, I think during the Stark Expo or the Symbiote arc.

The CG looks a lot better then it did back then.
    I just always find that kind of amusing, like when it's obvious they didn't bring back most of the Sinister Five's VA's for one episode or when we have all the Avengers together for one episode and it's obvious that they don't have all their VA's together.

I think this was one of the very few times that Harry has found out Peter's identity before Norman has, unless Norman figured it out when he stole Peter's Stealth Suit.
    I'm guessing they've lost their powers but will probably end up getting bitten by whatever's left of the Jackal's radioactive spiders.

7. Rick Jones

Rick Jones fan-man
    Staff Member Moderator

I had a good time with this last batch of Spider-Island episodes. It went in some directions I didn't fully expect but I enjoyed it

Harry is a selfish and psychotic jerk and I think Peter would do better without him in his life but, of course, this wasn't the season finale and we'll have to see the final blowout of that during the next two-parter.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Roxas_Sora

Roxas_Sora Well-Known Member

My computer broke, so I had difficulties to see the last episodes. I managed to see them today, so let's see:

1º) "Spider-Island: Part 3"

+ I really feel sad for Spidey, seeing how almost everyone disrespect him now that everyone has spider-powers. Well, I say at least he's the original, while you all are just knock-offs. And too bad for Spidey depending on artificial webbing, but I think I prefer it that way, so he won't get "too spider" like the others.

+ "Menace"? Seriously, I wanted to punch that guy in the face.

+ This Kraven is really miserable, hunting sick people who didn't ask to become giant monsters. One curious thing, why wasn't Kraven infected by the spider-virus?

+ Kraven sensing a "familiar scent on Peter"... Oh oh!! And even with all Manhattan with Spider-Powers, it was too risky to do Spidey in front of a camera. Something tells me this is going to have repercussions in the future.

+ Harry's theory about his dad being infected was actually right, I thought exactly the same thing to explain his survival. Sadly, that still means Norman is the one who saw Peter with Spider-Miles and the Spider-Stealth Suit. This is going to give Peter serious problems in the future. And I would like to know what was Norman trying to do with the bomb.

2º) "Spider-Island: Part 4"

+ Seriously, where the webs were the Avengers or any other hero during Spider-Island? I know this is Spider-Man material, and the Avengers were surely in another mission, but still they should have appeared to help in a crisis like this.

+ Seeing Spider-Aunt May was really funny, until the monster part. (What a way to ruin the moment!).

+ Anya was about to enter the monster's part of the infection, but she managed to stop it and keep her powers. Something tells me she could be not the only one to remain spider. I mean, in the comics, she was also infected and "cured", but kept the powers. I bet she won't be the only one.

+ "Spider-King"? Seriously? Well, it's obvious we couldn't have Kaine or Captain America infected in this version. Still, I missed the "Spider-Queen". Then again, who says she won't appear in the future? I mean, the Jackal could "create her" to reawake the "spider-infection".

+ Norman is a miserable and ungrateful son of (*censored*)!! Horizon frees his mind and yet, he keeps the "superiority" of his school. What a waste to use the cure on him.

+ HEADS UP, GUYS!!! The hit that Peter received in the arm from the Jackal while he was trying to protect Harry!! I found that scene suspictious. I believe that's how the Jackal will adquire Spider-Man's DNA to, eventually, start this series' clone saga. I truly hope it!!

+ I'm really sick of Harry and his irrational hate on Spider-Man. Seriously, who needs Jameson in this series if we already have Harry?

3º) "Spider-Island: Part 5"

+ "I could kiss you". Anya-Miles shipping? Not that I don't like the idea, but the idea of Miles and Gwen in the comics attracted me more.

+ Harry is a complete and total IMBECILE!!! Seriously, the whole city was at stake, millions of people could be trapped as monsters, and yet he can't see a building can always be reconstructed?!! And after saving the city, how can he be so bumbling idiot?!!! Like I said, with this Harry, we don't need J Jonah Jameson.

+ I don't buy the whole thing of Norman being proud of his Harry. I truly hope his real face will be finally revealed to Harry in "HobGoblin". (I have seen the episode, but I didn't understand a word).

+ Flash Thompson and Liz Allan appeared here, cured from the Spider-Virus. If Anya kept her powers, I hope they will return to have them too. I mean, Liz is Screwball, and in the comics, Screwball once impersonated Spider-Man. So, having Liz as Screwball and with spider-powers is really suit. And Flash Thompson, even if they kept Venom as a bad guy, they could still give him a copy of the Spider Black Suit. So, even if he's not "Agent Venom", he can still be part of the Web Warriors.

+ Just like Flash and Liz, I hope Mary Jane will appear in the future too, keeping somehow the spider-powers from the infection. I really want to!!!

+ I loved Gwen's hair after she was back into human self. She should keep it that way. Also, I expect for spider-powers stay in the same way that Anya's powers.

+ Well, here we have the debut of the HobGoblin. I truly can't wait to see the last two episodes. Especially after what I discovered about them. I only want to know what the characters said.

Well, opinions?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I assume Kraven was out of the city when the infection started and only came back when he heard what was going on.
    Did she still have her powers at the end? I just assumed she was fully cured by the end with the gas variant, and she'll need to get bitten by another spider like Gwen will o_O.
    Well, at least Norman's consistent :p.
    Maybe if Jonah is around we wouldn't have to have Harry irrationally hating Spider-Man all the time :rolleyes2:.
    Is there any point to shipping anyone in a Marvel cartoon (not that shipping is often logical)?

I mean, Peter and Gwen have had quite a few moments this season but it's probably never going to go anywhere.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Roxas_Sora

It doesn't have sense to be bitten by another spider at this point. Besides, all the spiders were supposed to died when Norman blew up the Jackal's machine.

Also, there's no sign for Anya to have lost her powers with the cure's cloud. Remember, Anya said the cure could have different reactions for different people, so it's quite probable that some individuals weren't totally "cured". Remember the comics of Spider-Island: Anya Corazon was originally Araña, she get powers through a mystic ritual, she eventually lost them, then it came Spider-Island, she gained a copy of Spider-Man's powers, she was injected with the cure to avoid the Man-Spider's phase, and yet, somehow, she kept the spider-powers. My guess?, the cure actually acted like a "stabilizer" and created a symbiotic bond between the Spider-Infection and the "host".

So, let's consider who potential candidates we have to remain spiders for the future:
    + Peter Parker (The Original Spider-Man): Obviously.
    + Miles Morales (The "New Gen" Spidey): Clearly.
    + Anya Corazon: Because of using the cure in the last second on herself before going monster, that could have stabilize her to keep her powers. (Also, there's a pic on Disney XD Canada that shows Anya as Spider-Girl/Silk already in the series' art).
    + Gwen Stacy: It's another clear candidate, only she will have to work in a way to keep her secret identity, well, secret. Anya will surely have to use Gwen's costume to convince Gwen is not "Spider-Gwen" anymore, or something like that.

+ Liz Allan: We saw her being cured, but since we know she's screwball in this series, having Spider-Powers is a good "upgrade". Her "proximity" to Peter Parker could have allowed to keep the spider-powers somehow. Besides, in the comics, Screwball impersonated Spider-Man a couple of times, so it would be quite appropiated.
    + Flash Thompson: He was first possessed by Venom, then he was infected by the Spider-Virus. I'm pretty sure those two events combined could allow Flash to become a Spider himself. If they want to keep Venom as a bag guy, and "Agent Venom" is not quite at disposal this time, Flash could start wearing simply a copy of "Black Suit Spider-Man".
    + Black Widow: We saw her with Spider-Powers, and I believe she could keep them. Maybe the russian version of the super-soldier serum that gave her peak human condition could "assimilate" the spider-virus as a new ability. Besides, if the Avengers weren't at Spider-Island at all, maybe Natasha's infection stayed stable all the time. She could be like a combination of Natasha Romanoff and classic Jessica Drew, the original Spider-Woman. Both spies and spiders, sounds fitting.
    + Aunt May: OK, don't get me wrong. I'm not saying Aunt May is going to put a suit and stuff, but since she's a genetic relative of Peter Parker, her infection could actually stay "stable" in her blood. Besides, if Doc Ock or the Goblin try to attack her, it would be fun if Aunt May gives them a good deserving beating by her own.

+ Randy Robertson: He was one of the infected ones in the comics of Spider-Island, and in this series, he got involved with Liz Allan's activities as Screwball and Hammerhead. Even if he doesn't get a suit or name, it would be interesting to see him in action with spider-powers in the future.
    + Mary Jane Watson: After what happened in the comics, this is a HAVE TO. Even if not immediately, having a Mary Jane with stable Spider-Powers could give us good stories.
    + Felicia Hardy: Not that I expect her to become a spider, but I'm pretty sure Felicia would have some "interesting ideas" to use spider-powers in "her job".

The whole thing of Spider-Island could bring us the debut of some other characters in Season 2: Ezekiel Sims and the Spider Society. Think about it, don't tell this won't be the perfect chance for them to debut. Well, opinions?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

I like how you think. I'd watch that show.

12. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It would be nice to have some supporting characters in Spider-Man who don't get super-powers...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Roxas_Sora

I understand your point, pal. But you should already know by now, that when you tell a story about a superheroe; eventually, it shares its power with all his allies/friends. Think about other Marvel Superheroes:

1º) Iron Man (Tony Stark):
    + War Machine (James Rhodes)
    + Rescue (Pepper Pots)
    + Silver Centurion (Happy Hogan)
    + Ironheart (Riri Williams)

2º) Hulk (Bruce Banner):
    + She-Hulk (Jennifer Walters)
    + Red Hulk (Thaddeus Ross)
    + Red She-Hulk (Betty Ross)
    + Skaar (Son of Hulk)
    + A-Bomb (Rick Jones)

3º) Thor:
    + Jane Foster (Thor/Thordis)
    + Beta Ray Bill
    + Hercules* (He once used a copy of Mjolnir)
    + Thor Girl
    + Eric Masterson (Thunderstrike)

4º) Giant-Man (Hank Pym)
    + Ant-Man (Scott Lang)
    + Goliath (Bill Foster)
    + Wasp (Janet Van Dyne)
    + Stature/Stinger (Cassie Lang)

And the list continues, not only in Marvel, but DC and other editorials too.

The point is, I'm not saying the powers make a character important, or that you need powers to be important in a world of superheroes. However, considering how the "super" factor tends to be "contagious", is only natural that the hero ends up sharing its power with allies sooner or later. Besides, having powers usually helps a character to avoid being killed; so we can skip complications to bring them back to life. I mean, surely, if Gwen Stacy would had spider-powers (like Spider-Gwen) back when the Green Goblin killed her, we could have skipped all the complications with clones; not to mention the already boring and outdated plot of "damsel in distress". I simply see a "supporting cast with powers" as a simple "evolution".

Besides, Spider-Man would still have supporting characters without powers in this series: Max Modell, Stan Lee and Joe are perfect without powers.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I don't think that should be a given.

I mean, there were some supporting characters in Spectacular who got powers or were pre-destined to become villains but we still had plenty of major characters who were civilians and would've likely stayed that way had the series continued.

But Superhero fiction as of late tends to lean more towards the Superhero side of things rather then the civilian side so most of the cast end up getting superpowers and costumes as a result.
    The Gwen who died in the comics is very different from the Gwen in this show.

This version of Gwen would probably have developed a device that beat the Green Goblin before Spider-Man even did anything :p.
    That's kind of a very small part of the cast. I mean, Stan was only in the origin shorts, Max is a mentor figure, and Joe is just kind of there :sweat:.

#34 Frontier, Feb 16, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
  15. Barbossa

Barbossa Active Member

Finally finished the story arc. Not bad, but not great. Everyone in New York having Spidey powers is something out of a 10 year old child's fan fiction. Even the Ultimate Spiderman show didn't sink that low.

Also this show sure does have its fair share of Gary and Mary Sues. Anya could cure cancer in her sleep. They could kill off Spidey in this show and no one would miss him. New York would even be a safer place. He is not needed.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I think it was a bit of a stretch that seemingly every single person with spider-powers was able to grasp and master their new abilities, and fight with them, quicker then Peter did :shrug:.

I mean, he's been Spider-Man for about five months and now suddenly everyone is as good with their powers as he is :confused:?
    I'm all for a strong and capable supporting cast but it does sometimes feel like it comes at the expense of how useful or vital Peter is in the story, and sometimes it feels like the supporting cast does or accomplishes more then he does in the story :ack:.

Especially when he needs to get saved as often as he does on this show :sweat:.

Although at least his blood proved vital to saving New York and he was the one who ultimately came up with the means of curing everyone...

• Like Like x 1
  17. mrbean1500

mrbean1500 Member

The slow motion was pretty noticable for me too. Didn't feel like it added any suspense to any of the action and I hope they cut it out in future episodes.

• Agree Agree x 1