Marvel's Spider-Man "Bring on the Bad Guys, Parts 1-4" Talkback (Spoilers)

• We have upgraded to Xenforo 2. We've decided to open the forums back up while we configure the theme and plugins. Thanks for your patience.

Latest News

"Marvel's Spider-Man: Bring on the Bad Guys" - Rate & Discuss the Story-Arc!

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • ****1/2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• ***1/2

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • **1/2

• *1/2

• 1/2

• Total voters

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Mar 8, 2009
Ratings
7,187 6
A Valid Location
Catch Marvel's Spider-Man! Disney XD will premiere two new episodes, back-to-back, tonight starting at 6:30PM ET! Behold the first two parts of a 4-part story-arc featuring some new and strange villains! Also, Spider-Girl returns!

Marvel's Spider-Man "Bring on the Bad Guys, Part 1"
Episode Debut - July 30th, 2018

A mystery villain puts a bounty out on Spider-Man's head, bringing on attacks by Panda-Mania, Hippo, and Overdrive.

Marvel's Spider-Man "Bring on the Bad Guys, Part 2"
Episode Debut - July 30th, 2018

After The Spot gets the upper hand on Spider-Man, Anya Corazon has to step up and take responsibility for her great power as Spider-Girl.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

TheLemsterPju

Jan 17, 2015
Ratings
1,442 10
In the scene in part 1 where all those lame-o supervillains were all gathered watching the communication screen, I counted 23 of them aside from Hippo and Panda-Mania.

Were those 23 baddies based on really obscure members of Spidey's rogues gallery? I could have sworn I spotted Carrion in that crowd.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2018
Ratings
comic world
1. I hope Doc Ock isn't the mastermind behind the bounty. The mystery man is credited as Scott Menville in the end. I love Doc Ock, but I prefer the mystery guy to be someone else like Kingpin.

2. Cool! J.M. DeMatteis is the writer! Hopefully White Rabbit/Lorina Dodson will make an appearance! :D

3. Overdrive and his personality remind me of Gearhead from 2004 The Batman, especially with the nanites.

Last edited:

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Ratings
2,261 4
Framingham, MA
1. I hope Doc Ock isn't the mastermind behind the bounty. The mystery man is credited as Scott Menville in the end. I love Doc Ock, but I prefer the mystery guy to be someone else like Kingpin.
It's definitely gonna be Doc Ock. Hold me to that prediction. That is how this show rolls. I would love to be wrong. But the fact that they didn't even bother recasting the voice for that video tells me I'm not. This show is so predictable.

Marvel's Spider-Man "Bring On The Bad Guys, Part One"

I liked it. There was one thing I didn't, but we'll get to that later.

I really love Hippo and Panda-Mania. What I like about them is that they don't strike me as villains. They are criminals yes, but Hippo in particular is innocent seeming, and apologetic when he accidentally bumps into bystanders. They strike me as similar to Prowler from Spider-Man: Homecoming. Spidey HAS to fight them because they're criminals, but they're not actually bad guys and have no malice in them.

I sort of groaned at the Spider-Shifter bike and costume. Because this show doesn't actually have a toyline. What a waste of a concept. Really, Marvel. Get it together.

For the record, I like the fact that Spider-Man defeated all of the villains in the episode on his own without any help.

The thing in the episode I dislike is that everyone hates Spider-Man. I don't believe that would happen. In other projects Spider-Man is controversial, but there are a great many New Yorkers who see through J. Jonah's b.s. for what it is. Honestly, I'm wondering why Spidey didn't huffily say to the people on the train giving him a hard time, "Do you actually want me to save your lives or not? Because I can go and help out people who AREN'T telling me how much I suck." And it's the fact that Spider-Man doesn't do that which shows that everyone on the bus is wrong and a bunch of total ingrates. And I don't like that fact. I like that there is a segment of the population that thinks Spidey sucks because of Jameson. But Jameson is NOT a person every single person should be unable to see through. He has no charisma, he has no credibility, and he's incredibly unlikable personally. He should not be treated as Gospel. And it's crazy that the show thinks he would be for a second. New Yorkers are by definition cynical. There would be a large segment of them calling immediate b.s. on Jameson's slanders with no evidence whatsoever. Basically what this show is saying is that New Yorkers are gullible and easy to fool. That has not been my experience. There is a reason Hillary Clinton blew out Trump out in the State. Because they actually knew and had to put up with him for decades. New Yorkers are not as stupid as this show is saying they are.

Where the frak is Peter's scholarship? I will never stop beating that drum as long as Max Modell keeps being a selfish jerk who uses his students without being willing to help them when they need it. He sucks and he isn't even in the episode.

Good first part. ****.

Marvel's Spider-Man "Bring On The Bad Guys, Part Two"

Love the idea that Mysterious is a bit pathetic and simpering. We usually think Spidey is the guy desperate for attention (see his painful stuff with the Black Widow and Cap holograms) but Mysterio is an even bigger poser. And just like Spidey, he's disappointed the jokes don't land better than they do.

Speaking of which, I liked Spidey saying that Spot ate a hole in his day. Simply because he was so exhausted when he said it, he may have been unaware is was a great pun. Maybe Spidey is only funny when he isn't trying to be.

I haven't seen Spot in anything in ages. On the downside he was a lot more fun and quippy on the 90's show. On the plus side the gag of him punching into a portal and the punch landing on Spider-Man reads MUCH better using modern animation techniques. I am impressed. I loved that gag.

Speaking of which how great is it that Mysterio's lair is essentially the Red Room from Twin Peaks? And that cream and maroon zigzag carpet means that was a deliberate nod. I am not crazy. The writers of this show dig Twin Peaks. No question.

Do you know what I hate about the Cap and Black Widow stuff? Spider-Man is perfectly normal and rational all throughout the episode. But when they "show up", he instantly becomes a blithering idiot. It's probably the thing I hate most about this version of Peter Parker. The only time he isn't well mannered is when it would be in his best interest to be.

This four-parter seems to be going all over the map in what it covers. Frankly, I like that freewheeling tone a lot. I am probably going to really like the last two parts. ****1/2.

SweetShop209

Jan 5, 2014
Ratings
2,012 8

2. Cool! J.M. DeMatteis is the writer! Hopefully White Rabbit/Lorina Dodson will make an appearance! :D
1. It could be Doc Ock, but it also could be someone else. Maybe it's Norman Osborn or the Jackal, the other two villains who are the most dangerous.

2. Who's White Rabbit? Is that like a magician character? Also, he is a good writer.

Oct 28, 2010
Ratings
New York
Very enjoyable episodes. Hippo and Panda-Mania were hilarious. Gave me serious "Legion of Losers" vibes (which is appropriate considering J.M. DeMatteis wrote that too). Overdrive was cool too, but I'm kind of sad they got rid of the aspect that he's a superhero fanboy. I think they could have gotten some comedic value out of that here as well. Part 2 was great. Sad that Spot was underused (and didn't even get to speak) but I loved the use of his powers. Mysterio was a delight (as always). Crispin Freeman does an amazing job capturing the theatricality of the Master of Illusions. I think it's incredibly safe to say that this is most likely Doc Ock as a digital ghost (most likely a side effect of the Neuro Cortex overload) that placed the bounty on Spider-Man's head. He's going to have all these villains wear him down (we already saw Spidey start to get exhausted in part 2) and make his "Superior" move

Jul 11, 2018
Ratings
comic world
2. Who's White Rabbit? Is that like a magician character? Also, he is a good writer.
She is a C-list villain who is obsessed with Lewis Caroll's Alice in Wonderland. She dresses up in a rabbit costume based off the white rabbit from the book.

So, did Mysterio know Peter would fall asleep? He set the holograms on the bridge pretty quick. Peter only closed his eyes for a few seconds.

Last edited:

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
Feb 27, 2008
Ratings
2,136 4
177A Bleecker Street
I really enjoyed the two episodes. Poor Peter is just getting overwhelmed with school, the onslaught of villains and Jameson poisoning the idiot populace against him but it makes for a really fun watch.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Mar 8, 2009
Ratings
7,187 6
A Valid Location
Catch Marvel's Spider-Man! Disney XD will premiere two new episodes, back-to-back, tonight starting at 6:30PM ET! Behold the final two parts of this story-arc featuring some new and strange villains!

Yqj5AHH.jpg
Marvel's Spider-Man "Bring on the Bad Guys, Part 3"
Episode Debut - August 6th, 2018

Inching further through a gauntlet of mysterious new villains determined to bring him down, Spider-Man faces off against his most bizarre bad guy yet, Jack O’Lantern.

Marvel's Spider-Man "Bring on the Bad Guys, Part 4"
Episode Debut - August 6th, 2018

While racing to get his science project to Horizon's open house on time, Spider-Man is attacked by another new b-level villain named Electro.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Mr.O

Sep 21, 2016
Ratings
268 1
Why is no-one complaining why Miles hasn't bothered to help or cover for Pete?! If he had, Pete would've been able to finish his project on time and able to afford tuition.
I'm thoroughly convinced that Miles slips in and out of physical existence randomly. And when he slips out, all traces of his essence are purged from reality. Maybe he's being zapped across the Spider-Verse? :)

Headcannon aside. They clearly made the mistake of putting too many Spider-folks into a show about Spider-Man alone. It's hard for Peter to deal with classic Peter problems when one or more of his best friends are also Spider powered. This roster would probably work better on an Ultimate Spiderman- like show.

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Ratings
10,910 45
Sherman Oaks CA
It was kind of interesting to see this four-parter go for the vignette approach, similar to the season 2 premier, with Spidey facing two different villains and situations in each episode with the only connective tissue being the villains coming after Spider-Man and Peter working towards the Science Fair at Horizon. I guess the creators just wanted to get through the rest of Spidey's major Rogues Gallery, along with some surprise obscure ones :sweat:.

I think a few of the segments and villains could've warranted their own full episodes, but overall I'd say Spidey's entire "guantlet" in this arc was pretty fun and entertaining, even if it would've bee nice to get a little more "story" going on. But I guess the writers helped make the case for the potential of an 11-minute Spider-Man cartoon (not that I'm pushing for one) :).

Panda-Mania and Hippo were a pretty fun, Bonnie and Clyde, odd couple duo for Spidey to tangle with, least of all for how ridiculous they look. It was also kind of refreshing to see a pair of villains who legitimately did not want to ever have to deal with Spider-Man again, even at the risk of a lot of money. I thought Teala Dunn and Zach Shada (both in rare villainous roles) were able to make the two characters pretty endearing and entertaining in their own right. I wouldn't mind seeing either again :anime:.

Overdrive was a pretty cool villain, and his powers afforded some nifty visuals against Spider-Man. I kinda wish they would've kept the fact that in the comics he's a Superhero fanboy, but I can understand wanting to keep the character bare-bones here. It was also nice that Spidey's conflict with him led to another Uncle Ben flashback, and even the return of the Spider-Cycle, more or less (not that I was really hoping to ever see that again).

Anya's whole debut as Spider-Girl was pretty sudden. Even taking the explanation for why she still has her powers at face-value, plausible enough as it is, you'd think Anya retaining her Spider-Island abilities would've been made more apparent or at least foreshadowed in the past few episodes (especially in the Venom Or Hobgoblin episodes). And Gwen's apparently known about it all along for...reasons. But I guess that's what you have to do when you have to run through a character's Superhero debut in little under 11-minutes :eek:.

And then immediately after we see Anya finally suit-up and take down a bad guy (notably the only time Spidey really gets saved by another character in this four-parter), both she and Gwen completely vanish from the plot. Although at least we have a more plausible reason for why she's not running around in-costume that much, compared to Miles, as Anya is really not that interested in fighting crime on a daily basis like Spider-Man is. Although that could very well change in future episodes.

It was fun to see The Spot back in a Spider-Man cartoon, especially since he hasn't been seen in one since the 90's cartoon, and while he didn't get any lines or characterizations I thought the show did a good job of conveying just how powerful someone with Spot's powerset could be :evil:.

Mysterio was awesome. Just a pretty pitch-perfect interpretation of the character, to the point where I wish he had gotten a full episode just so we could get more with him in it and hear more of Crispin Freeman's Mysterio.

I kinda feel bad that poor Peter still hasn't gotten a proper team-up with Cap yet on this show :(.

I thought Jack O'Lantern a pretty fun villain. I thought Booboo Stewart did a surprisingly good job voicing such a crazy villain, and probably one of the better performances by all the guest stars in my opinion, and his weapons, gear, and design were all pretty cool. Although I couldn't help but notice the similarities to the Green Goblin, which reminded me that he might be the only major Spider-Baddie we've yet to really see Spidey tussle with (and the Hobgoblin doesn't count) :mad:.

It was nice to see Spidey teaming-up with his old pal Prowler since we haven't seen the latter suited-up since the 90's cartoon, and I thought the show did a serviceable job with him here. Although it was kind of weird to see him not being a science guy while his brother was, considering Hobie in the comics is an Engineer. In fact, he would've made more sense to be part of Horizon High then some of the other kids who've popped up in that school :confused:.

Spidey listing off all his major villains and saying that he had "defeated The Jackal" felt a tad inaccurate. I mean, Peter stopped Spider-Island, but the Jackal got away and is still out there. Either Peter or the writers have forgotten, or something happened off-screen.

It was cool to see Silvermane pop up, and voiced by Nolan North no less, and in his cyborg-body no less. I said before that I felt the show's version of Hammerhead felt more like Silvermane then Hammerhead, but I was glad they didn't weaken Silvermane compared to how they handled Hammerhead :cool:.

Electro was...kind of interesting. She was basically an amalgam of the female Electro in the comics, with movie Electro's race, Ultimate Electro's energy form, and a completely unique design and costume. She also gave Spidey a pretty ferocious fight with her electric abilities, especially once she got into her electric form, and it was neat watching Peter deal with another science-oriented individual to the point where he really needed to lean on his science smarts to stop her.

Speaking of major classic villains the show hadn't gotten to yet, I liked seeing the show finally get to tackle a Chameleon story, and I thought they utilized his shape-changing powers fairly effectively. Patton Oswalt was also a pretty unconventional casting for Chameleon, although with all respect due to Mr. Oswalt, I couldn't help but hear Uncle Ben whenever he spoke...

I know this has already been brought up, but it's kind of ridiculous that throughout this entire four-parter Peter (or the writers) never thought to bring Miles in to help with the villains or to back him up. All Miles does is tell Peter about Chameleon's robbery at the very end, and then he doesn't even bother to suit up himself to deal with it.

I can't say I was surprised to see Yuri Watanabe make the jump from the comics, considering she's a Dan Slott character, although I was surprised to see her promoted from a detective to a Police Chief. She didn't get much to do in this episode, but she's so far been set up to be a Captain Stacy-like figure for Spider-Man on the police force (and Sumalee Montano is always a treat). Though speaking of which, if Watanabe's the Police Chief, is Gwen's dad still a Captain?

I love how all season we've seen Jameson turn public opinion against Spider-Man and now, over the course of this arc, we see Spidey finally develop a mutual enmity with JJJ. It all culminates in Spidey being so terrified at the idea of there being two Jameson's in the world that he socks one, and accidentally nabs Chameleon as a result :p.

The Stan Lee cameraman from the Origin shorts ending up being a Bugle cameraman was great, not only for Spidey to recognize him but for Mr. Lee to deliver even more of his patented and dynamic alliteration to spice things up ;).

The show didn't reveal the identity of the mysterious organizer who set this all up, but if you look at the credits it becomes even more obvious who their identity is. If I had to make a guess, I'd say the goal of this gauntlet was to exhaust and weaken Spider-man enough to where he would be susceptible to a little mind-swapping...

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
Feb 27, 2008
Ratings
2,136 4
177A Bleecker Street
As I think of how the episodes were broken into two segments, it reminds me of how USM handled Spider-Verse. I generally enjoyed these episodes. The Jack O'Lantern segment was my favorite of the day. I also loved the imagery of Spidey knocking the taste out of JJJ's mouth, even if it's an evil imposter.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Jul 11, 2018
Ratings
comic world
I really enjoyed the 4-parter. I know Pandamania and Hippo are from another town, but what about the other super villains? Were they living in New York the entire time during season 1? Where the heck did they come from?! Funny they didn't start causing havoc until Mystery Man put a bounty on Spider-man's head. I would like to know what they were doing before the 4-parter.

Silvermane may have been defeated, but doesn't he know where the Brown brothers live?

I wonder if Jack-o-Lantern's craziness is just an act he puts on in front of people, or he is really insane? It's kinda unnerving to see this teenager cackle like a nutcase. Jack sounds like he is around Peter's age. What did his parents do to him for him to be deranged? 0_0

I'm not quite digging this version of Electro. I don't mind a girl Electro, but her costume looks really generic and dull looking.

Last edited: