"Marvel's Spider-Man" (Animated Series) News & Discussion Thread, Part 4 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Dec 31, 2017.

1. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, when they bother to actually have him around, this show hardly ever refers to Miles as Spider-Man, so I can see it slipping Jonah's mind :p.
    Specifically he's done less damage to Daily Bugle property :rolleyes2:.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    #261 Frontier, May 28, 2018
    Last edited: May 29, 2018
  2. SweetShop209

SweetShop209 Well-Known Member

I remembered reading something on tv tropes on how J. Jonah Jameson could be portrayed in the series. Specifically, even with the social media aspect to show that Spiderman is a legitimate hero and not the menace he says he is, he would still think that superheroes are nothing more than " "glorified costumed vigilantes", who the people of NYC have more faith in than "real heroes" like astronauts, police officers, firemen or newspaper publishers!" It would be an interesting way to make this JJ stand out from other JJ's.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I remember that being a factor in the reason Ultimate Jameson (comic, not cartoon) was so doggedly against Spider-Man.

• Like Like x 2
  4. WebMasterSage

WebMasterSage Obey the Pecking Order.

[​IMG]
    I can't believe they nailed Eddie Brock right here. He must've seen better days after a decade of absence in Cartoon form.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Capt.Traphouse

Capt.Traphouse Sexiest Thing Since Sex

That face certainly says "I've been unemployed for a decade."

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Technically, it's less than a decade since Spectacular was still airing in 2009. But it's nice to have Eddie Brock back nevertheless.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Same amount of time since we last saw Peter Parker working at the Daily Bugle in a Spider-Man cartoon (not counting the guest spot in Earth's Mightiest Heroes) ;).

8. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It's kind of funny how MJ was more connected to the Bugle on USM, at least at the start of the show.

This show seems to be going for a more traditional set-up, which is fine with me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Now that I think about it, I don't think Mary Jane wanting to work at the Bugle was ever a plot point after the Beetle episode (which was probably the closest Peter actually came to being at the Bugle) :sweat:.

I was actually kind of expecting MJ to be at the Bugle as a way for them to work her into the series, but so far that doesn't seem to be the case...

• Like Like x 2
  10. Rick Jones

Rick Jones fan-man
    Staff Member Moderator

MJ working at the Bugle was also kind of teased since the animation test before it was just dropped after a while. vlcsnap-2018-06-01-22h05m23s399.png

Anyway, as I think of how Horizon and Midtown were kind of wrecked by the end of last season, I wonder if that helps open up The Bugle's availability as a setting. It would be a sin if Jonah and the Bugle were used as sparingly as they were in MTV's Spider-Man, for example. I also wonder if we might see some transfers to Horizon or Midtown re-opening or something else entirely. I also wonder what the possibility of actually seeing Mary Jane might be. I wouldn't bet on it but I was feeling that same about Flash until he showed up, and they got a good amount of use from his character.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Given Peter working at the Bugle was directly mentioned in the plot description for season 2, and Jameson was prominent in the trailer, I imagine the Bugle will probably become a pretty big part of the show :).

When Midtown got blown up I thought we might see some of the other students transfer to Horizon, so we could see Flash, Liz, and Randy more...though Osborn Academy also got trashed so there's probably a lot of kids without a school at the moment :sweat:.

I don't think they would've had Mary Jane appear, albeit in a mascot costume, if they didn't have plans for her later on, although I'm not sure how soon we might see those plans realized...

• Like Like x 1
  12. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It's weird how the early footage from USM teased MJ working at the Bugle, and that there will be some romance between her and Spidey. Both those elements were kind of dropped when the show actually started, but to be fair they were sort of addressed for a couple of episodes in the first and last seasons.

Regarding the Midtown kids, I imagine we'll at least see more from Randy Robertson occasionally, if his dad is going to play a bigger role this season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Rick Jones

Rick Jones fan-man
    Staff Member Moderator

John Jameson might show up again as well, now that his previous genius school is gone and his dad is in the picture.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Capt.Traphouse

Capt.Traphouse Sexiest Thing Since Sex

Okay everyone, favorite Spiderman lady? Mine is Felicia/Black Cat. Her episode was fire.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I know Zeno Robinson (Randy's VA) tweeted how great a job Bob Joles did as Jonah, so I'm guessing Randy will probably pop up in at least one episode :cool:.
    This would be the perfect chance for the show to bring all those disparate elements from season 1 (Spidey destroying so much Bugle property, John as Man-Wolf, Spidey destroying Osborn Academy) to explain why Jonah hates Spider-Man so much :p.
    I'm a big Black Cat fan, but I'm always up for more Mary Jane ;).

I do like the version of Gwen on the show as well :).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Rick Jones

Rick Jones fan-man
    Staff Member Moderator

Speaking of Gwen, she doesn't know that Peter is Spider-Man, right? I remember Anya learning but I don't remember Gwen ever really finding out.

17. Mr.O

Mr.O Active Member

On this show? I think Gwen had an unfair advantage in exposure, but I agree that Felicia did an excellent job considering her limited appearance. Anya, being the second most frequently shown female really shouuld be up there, but oddly she didn't get much to do. Surprisingly, I'd even put Liz ahead of her in this show.

TL;DR Gwen is #1, followed closely by Cat, the Liz and Anya in that order. This is, of course, referring to the show. And I'd much rather get another Black Cat episode than a "Ghost Spider/ Spider Gwen" one.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Anya never learned Peter's identity, or at least they never confirmed if she figured it out or not.

I was curious if the fact that Peter seemed to vanish in Spider-Island while they were at OsCorp, only for Spider-Man to inexplicably turn up, would clue her in, but she didn't seem to make a big deal out of it.

The only people who for sure know Peter is Spider-Man are Miles and Harry.

19. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It probably helps that, unlike Anya, Liz wasn't constantly abrasive towards Peter for most of her screentime :p.

20. WebMasterSage

WebMasterSage Obey the Pecking Order.

I just realized that that with Eddie's return to Cartoon form and with the Tom Hardy Venom movie coming out, 2018 is gonna be a good year for Venom as he's having a 30th Anniversary.

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. SweetShop209

SweetShop209 Well-Known Member

While Anya might not have gotten that many focus episodes before Spider Island, I do think the show has shown enough of her in action that makes her pretty interesting.

Let's start with the two part pilot "Horizon High". When Peter manages to stop the fire at the cost of short circuiting her invention, she's rather furious at how her work was ruined. Later on, we see her show no hesitation in trying to help SpiderMan out.

In "Osborn Academy", she's one of the potential applicants in applying to the titular academy despite already being at Horizon. This helps reestablish that she may be brilliant academically, but when it comes to the morality aspect, she tends to be more on the skewed side in looking out for herself. The episode after this, "A Day In The Life", does show her as more reasonable as she's willing to let Peter leave when she answers some study questions. This also cropped up in the three episodes from September 16.

"Party Animals" shows her being a bit mad at Peter for supposedly coming up with the idea of a school dance, and it's also played for laughs. This helps establish that she's slightly socially awkward, and acts abrasive as a front. Why do you think she's not at the Halloween party in "Halloween Moon"? (Miles at least has the excuse of possibly wanting to train himself more.)

Speaking of Miles, let's cut to the episodes "Ultimate SpiderMan" and "Kraven's Amazing Hunt". In the former episode, when Miles talks about how he got powers, she's the most excited, and talks about how great they would be if they all had spider powers, almost like a geek. In the latter episode, when Max Modell almost hears them talk about Miles having spider powers and being on Kraven's show, she immediately covers for him, and says how it's his favorite show.

So, what have we learned about? She's an intelligent teenage girl who's a bit socially awkward, and acts skewed and slightly abrasive as a front. She's shown to be more confident when it comes to heroics. We see this more in "Spider Island".

In "Spider Island", Gwen is the first between the two of them to get spider powers. She maintains the more outwardly altruistic nature she's had before, but becomes cocky when she's praised for her heroics. Anya is more or less the opposite. She starts out much less confident in her powers, but grows stronger and more confident upon mastering them, and is much more altruistic and level headed throughout the five part story with her ego greatly downplayed. It's also here where she and Gwen find out that Peter is SpiderMan, due to how Peter just so conveniently disappeared as SpiderMan came in. Plus, Miles probably told them afterwards.

Part 2 of "The Hobgoblin" shows her lightly teasing Peter for missing the end of the year ceremony, but it's clear its all in fun as opposed to the September 16 episodes. When he gets trapped by Doc Ock and Norman's Hobgoblin identity, she and Gwen do not hesitate to help him.

Even if not in focus episodes, we do get a nice personality profile for Anya. She's smart and slightly socially awkward, and acts a bit abrasive and skewed to hide her insecurities. When it comes to heroics, she's much more level headed and kind.

Some might say I'm nitpicking, and I admit, I didn't pick up everything the first time either, but this method of picking up details (whether intentionally or not) has helped me out with other shows, like Sofia The First. The episode "The Big Sleepover" helps establish how Sofia and Amber's friends act. For the former, it's established that Jade is less emotionally mature than Ruby, as shown with how she's more hurt with confronting Sofia on how they're not perfect enough than Ruby is. Episodes like "The Little Witch", "In a Tizzy", and "Princess Jade" make more sense with this dynamic in mind. For the latter, it establishes that Hildegard has somewhat of a take charge attitude, especially towards Clio, yet also established that it's a front to maintain good social standing. Clio is likewise shown as more fun loving but purposefully restrains herself since Hildy and Amber are her main friends. Episodes like "The Princess Stays In The Picture" and "Sidekick Clio" make more sense with this in mind..

And those are my thoughts.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. Mr.O

Mr.O Active Member

I'd definitely say that you are reaching a bit. But, I know that sometimes you have to reach like this. Especially in fast paced shows where the writers don't have time to spell out every character's personality in bold letters. I just never taken the time to deeply analyze her character. What do you make of the other girls' personalities on this show? Who is your favorite?