Marvel's "Runaways" coming to the big screen

Discussion in 'Marvel Live-Action Movies and Television' started by ShadowGUN, May 22, 2008.

1. ShadowGUN

ShadowGUN YES!YES!YES!

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/film/news/e3i92601a875cdc02736bf2b34a892403eb
    And so the Marvel Movie Universe keeps expading. I wonder when will the Defenders get their own movie?
    Oh! DC and WB better get up their butts and start doing something.

2. LazyReaper

LazyReaper I'm weird. You wanna doubt it?

Even though I haven't kept up with Runaways, I did enjoy reading the first season or volume, and I think it has real potential to work as a movie. The only downside though, is that the parents are going to be evil villans no matter how you look at it. Not exactly the most family friendly message to send along in a film with kids in it, so it makes me wonder how this will be marketed or altered in the film.

-Aximlli-

3. Movie06

Movie06 Active Member

Really? Awesome! :D

Wonder if Joss Whedon will be involved.

4. WrenchNinja

WrenchNinja Member

Sounds great. I'm glad Vaughn is writing for it. I've really hated Whedon's run so far.

I wonder who'll be playing some of the characters? Would they really keep Old Lace around? Eh.

5. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

Who cares? It's a great idea. And trailers lie all the time; they'll just show a bunch of explosions and CGI stunts set to a Latin chorus.

If Runaways is done right it could be the best superhero movie since Spidey #2. There's real emotional potential in the premise.

6. LazyReaper

LazyReaper I'm weird. You wanna doubt it?

I'm not arguing that it won't be good. I enjoyed the comic book story a lot. I'm just saying that it'll be odd to market this to a younger crowd when most parents in real life will likely just see this movie in a negative way for promoting kids to not trust their parents.

Honestly, am I the only one that's seeing this type of reaction coming?

-Aximlli-

7. Movie06

Movie06 Active Member

Well it's possible but that would only make the movie more appealing to audiences.

8. Hanshotfirst1138

Hanshotfirst1138 Morphinomenal!

ROTFLMAO!

No, it's probably what they're counting on. Controversy=money.

Define "audiences." Perhaps parents would object to film that sends that sort of message to children. A few misheard lines in Disney movies have sent soccer moms screaming, this will not endear to them :p.

9. Sandoz

Sandoz Thin Man Fan

Could be awesome, could be lousy. BKV's attachment makes me optimistic.

Hopefully those parents aren't aliens, time-travelers, mutants or mad scientists.

The entire hook of the series is "Every kid thinks their parents are evil, but what if they actually are?" Watering it down or altering the premise would make a Runaways movie pointless.

10. Movie06

Movie06 Active Member

But unlike Disney, Marvel won't cave in to a bunch of ignorant parents. Besides, controversy sells nowadays.

11. Sandoz

Sandoz Thin Man Fan

Also, depending on how faithful the script will be, we could have cameos from Robert Downey Jr. as Iron Man along with the Avengers.

12. Movie06

Movie06 Active Member

That'd be awesome see. Along with Edward Norton as Bruce Banner.

13. RonDrakenfan17

RonDrakenfan17 Luffy fan

Wow sounds great, I'll def be checking it out. Mavel studios rock hard. I wish D.C would litsen to the fans the way Marvel does :(

14. W.C.Reaf

W.C.Reaf Active Member

I have a good feeling about this.

Marvel Studios doing it and BKV writing makes any problems I would have disappear right away.

The cast is something different altogether and they'd need to get some good young people in to do the parts. I wonder how they'll handle Gert.

If they do sequels it'll be a problem when the actors get too old for their roles. But that's thinking a little too far ahead at the moment.

The one cameo I'd like to see is Captain America at the end just like the book.