Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy "One In A Million You" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Oct 3, 2015.

?

Rate & Discuss this Guardians of the Galaxy episode!

1. *****

20.0%
  2. ****1/2

20.0%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

20.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

40.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Check out Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy tonight at 9:30PM (ET) on Disney XD!
    One in a million raccoons wish they were as awesome as Rocket.

[​IMG]
    Guardians of the Galaxy "One In A Million You"
    Episode Debut - October 3rd, 2015
    Directed by: James Yang
    Written by: Steven Melching

Feeling underappreciated, Rocket accepts an offer to work for The Collector, only to realize his 'job' is working as another prisoner in The Collector's collection.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

#1 RoyalRubble, Oct 3, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
  2. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought this was a decent episode but not as good as the series premiere. The story was predictable enough and the characters got kind of annoying this time, with their constant arguing and most of their complaints towards Rocket. His decision to leave the team was understandable after such conflicts but at the same time I thought it was pretty obvious he'd be back by the end of the episode since I doubt the show would make any big changes so early on.

The humor wasn't that great this time either. I liked the Land-Lord joke the first time but it got repeated too often. Rocket's crazy idea of building a robot with the Collector's resources wasn't as entertaining as it could have been. And of course, their escape from inside the giant space monster - I realize that was the only possible solution in this scenario but certain sound effects weren't really needed.

On the other hand, the action scenes were pretty great. There were a few good moments, too. I liked Drax and his reactions to most of the stuff happening around him. Groot's Rocket impersonation was pretty nice. Adding Fin Fang Foom was a surprise. It would have been great if more of the Collector's items would have been shown or hinted at, acting as Easter Eggs to other stuff from the comics, but it looks like we haven't seen the last of him on this show so I guess there's still time for that.

Also, I didn't really care for this version of the Collector - neither his design nor his voice were that great. I know he's supposed to match the look of his live-action version but I just didn't care for it. Seeing the "classic" Collector look, with a different voice in the Ultimate Spider-Man episode before this didn't really help things either.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Magmaster12

Magmaster12 Well-Known Member

I have to admit this show is boring it's just not doing anything different and that's what really bothered me.

4. Dsneybuf

Dsneybuf Well-Known Member

I think the second episode of almost every Marvel cartoon I've seen pales in comparison to its predecessor, even season two of The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, and one show that took inspiration from something other than one of their comics (RoboCop). I'd agree this case felt particularly generic and predictable, though.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    #4 Dsneybuf, Oct 4, 2015
  5. TheLemsterPju

TheLemsterPju Well-Known Member

This one was not good. I hope it improves after this...

I think now that we know that this universe's Collector drastically changed his appearance from how he looks in this show to his tall, lanky figure in USM and Hulk, there's no excuse to believe Luke Cage and Iron Fist from Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes and Ultimate Spider-Man can't be one and the same. (By the MAU's heavily retconned standards.) ;)

• Like Like x 1
    #5 TheLemsterPju, Oct 4, 2015
  6. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon The Christmas Cretin

Just kind of a meh episode. I'm not thrilled with The Collector here, but glad we have a recurring antagonist that's not connected to Thanos in some way.

Collector isn't the only one. At some point Gamora and Rocket will either gain or lose their irises and pupils and Groot's head will start to look more or less like a skull...

• Like Like x 1
  7. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

I didn't dislike this one at all. It was generic to anyone who's watched this kind of show before, but Rocket was really amusing throughout the episode, so I count that as a win. :p

But yeah, the whole crew had been jerks to him, Drax in particular. I mean...was he really tempted to eat Rocket? That's actually kinda scary.

• Like Like x 1
  8. bigdaddy313

bigdaddy313 Well-Known Member

Now that I think about it that eating rocket pays homage to the movie when Drax talked about having raccoons for dinner

#8 bigdaddy313, Oct 4, 2015
  9. PapaGreg

PapaGreg Peppermint tea for me

You know on hand this episode was generic but I do love the comedy of this series

10. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I have to agree that, quality-wise, this episode was a bit of a step-down from the quality of the premier and a little by-the-numbers with nothing that remarkable about it. I wouldn't say it was a bad episode per se, but I'm hoping that future episodes are more enjoyable and noteworthy :(.

I just want to say how much I appreciate the fact that we had Fin Fang Foom appear, and be treated like a serious threat, without the need to throw in a title card to "announce" who he is to the audience and disrupt the flow of the episode. I mean, Fin Fang Foom was a nice surprise to see in general, but I'm just happy that this cartoon doesn't use title cards :D.

Honestly, considering all the movie synergy/references, I'm shocked we didn't get a Howard The Duck cameo in The Collectors lair. I mean, Seth Green's pretty much a VA now so it probably wouldn't have been that hard to get him to reprise his role. Or maybe I should be happy they didn't go for such an obvious movie tie-in :p?

Yeah, it was pretty jarring coming off the Ultimate Spider-Man episode with the Collector, where he had a completely different voice and design as well as personality to a certain extent, to this episode where we had him obviously inspired by the MCU version. I can't say he was very impressive as a villain either, and Tom Kenny's vague accent and Benicio Del Toro impression for the character was kind of distracting, but I thought he was serviceable for the episode at least. Can't say I'm looking forward to seeing him menace the Guardians again though :rolleyes:.

I know the "man-child" or irresponsible fool personality for Quill is lifted from the movie and I understand why they're using it, but I think it runs the risk of becoming very grating when you have your lead hero be so whiny, irresponsible, and act in such an idiotic way that leads you wondering why other characters put up with him for the most part. Though this isn't necessarily original to just Peter in the MAU. Maybe it's also partially because I'm sometimes unintentionally comparing him to Bumblebee in Transformers: Robots In Disguise because of the Will Freidle connection and I find I like Bee and Friedle's performance there a lot more in comparison :oops:.

Rocket's little conflict in this episode, while understandable considering how much he has to do around the ship and for the team, wasn't really that engaging for me. Maybe if it had come later down the line or had some build-up in earlier episodes instead of in the third episode, especially when that makes it hard to believe we've actually seen a member of the team leave, it would've worked better. I liked the interaction between him and Groot though :).

It's one thing to entirely change or retcon their looks and personalities, and another thing to outright change how old characters are. I don't think EMH Luke and Danny look or act at all like teenagers like they are in USM :confused:.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

I enjoyed the episode a lot with the new Collector and Rocket getting some focus. Honestly, I was a bit surprised it was Tom Kenny voicing The Collector. I think at first, I thought it was Rino Romano. Also, we get a supporting appearance of Fing Fang Foom, which was cool. Like that we got to see more of Rocket's engineering abilities, and I especially enjoyed that he took out Droney at the end.