Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy "Jingle Bell Rock" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Dec 17, 2016.

?

Rate & Discuss this Guardians of the Galaxy episode!

1. *****

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Check out a new episode of Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy, tonight at 8:30PM ET on Disney XD! Tune in for a Christmas Special, and the last remaining episode of Season One!

[​IMG]
    Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy "Jingle Bell Rock"
    Episode Debut - December 17th, 2016
    Directed by: James Yang
    Written by: Grant Moran

The team stages a Christmas Carol inspired con-job in order to frighten a despot out of his ill-gotten riches and free his enslaved people.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

• Like Like x 1
    #1 RoyalRubble, Dec 17, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
  2. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, this definitely feels like more of a holiday special then the Halloween episode, especially since it explicitly refers to the holiday in question and features a lot of the conventions and cliche's of Christmas, all packed in with the same kind of fun, strong, writing I'm used to from Guardians ;).

Always nice to see Cosmo, if only for a second :).

Man, this show just keeps piling on the tragedy of Quill's life. Not only was he kidnapped before his last Christmas on Earth, but apparently one of his last memories of his mom is preparing for Christmas with her :crying:.

I kind of wonder when in the production order this episode takes place in given Quill's attitude, which seemed particularly more callous and self-serving then I would've expected him to act at the tail-end of season 1. Maybe it was the holiday blues getting to him :shrug:?

I'm not sure how to feel about the Guardians only coming to the aid of the citizens in need after they were betrayed by the Scrooge stand-in, rather then through genuine altruism. I mean, they still ultimately did it for the people, but I think it would've been a stronger showing if they had done so without having anything personal against the bad guy. Even Gamora pointed out how Quill seemed to be in-part trying do this for himself o_O.

Some solid action sequences in this episode, from the Guardians taking on those robots to their sleigh-ride down the slopes :cool:.

I don't know what's funnier, the Guardians becoming fascinated by a Christmas Carol, Drax's continued complete inability to understand metaphors, or their version of a Christmas Carol later in the episode :p.

• Like Like x 2
  3. bigdaddy313

bigdaddy313 Well-Known Member

It takes place between the first inhuman episode and stuck in the metal with you.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Pretty amusing episode. Rocket had the best lines throughout (and now I'm curious how they got a copy of A Christmas Carol. Space Blockbuster?) Also, Groot's fear of being a Christmas tree after hearing about the axes was hilarious.

I was genuinely surprised we didn't see a child with crutches, but maybe that would have been too on the nose. :p

Nice pet the villain has. I mean, it was surviving everything.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Pretty good episode. It's nice they went and made a Christmas special for a show mostly set in outer space. I also appreciate the fact there weren't really any continuity issues with it airing out of order. I remember this wasn't the case with the Hulk & Agents of SMASH Christmas episode (which co-incidentally also included the Guardians).

Even if "A Christmas Carol" has been adapted, re-imagined, parodied and stuff like that there countless times throughout the years, the Guardians' take on it was pretty fun. Besides it didn't exactly take the entire episode and didn't play out like they wanted to, either. I liked how the heroes (minus Quill) were intrigued by the holiday. I thought Drax's line about reindeer was hilarious. It was also cool they added those flashbacks to Quill's childhood, with his mother on Christmas.

As for the actual plot, it wasn't too bad. The despot they confronted was a decent enough adversary but I liked his pets more. It was pretty silly but I thought the scene with the pet bringing back the bomb was fun. All in all, a good episode with some surprisingly fun and touching scenes spread throughout.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon The Christmas Cretin

I feel like this was a better Christmas episode than the Halloween special was a Halloween episode, but I liked the Halloween episode more as an actual episode. They both have fairly similar plots (backwater yokels exploited by greedy misanthropes), but Yondu is just a more compelling antagonist due to his charisma and connection to Peter.

I dunno, I kinda liked the reminder that at their core the Guardians are space drifters who happen to do heroic things as opposed to Cosmic Avengers. If they're going to do the Firefly/Cowboy Bebop thing they should commit to it some of the time.

It still exists out there.

• Like Like x 2
  7. TheLemsterPju

TheLemsterPju Well-Known Member

What was that anti-matter vortex thing? Are we supposed to assume that Alien Scrooge is going to starve to death in the anti-matter universe?

• Like Like x 2
  8. JoeMabbon

Maybe the original draft had him die in an explosion and someone from Standards and Practices said "No."

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. TheLemsterPju

TheLemsterPju Well-Known Member

But then how is Star Wars Rebels getting away with more grizzly deaths on the same channel?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, Rebels is about on part with Clone Wars in terms of the kind of content they can get away with, so maybe Standards and Practices is just soft on Filoni and company :sweat:?

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. JoeMabbon

I think it's that, plus the company views Rebels as a continuation of the films whereas the Marvel cartoons are seen as movie tie-ins for kids.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

And given what Rogue One was able to get away with :sweat:...

• Agree Agree x 2