Marvel's Avengers Ultron Revolution "The House of Zemo" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Oct 9, 2016.

?

Rate & Discuss this Avengers Ultron Revolution episode!

1. *****

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Tune in for a new episode of Marvel's Avengers Ultron Revolution, today at 8:30AM ET on Disney XD!

[​IMG]
    Marvel's Avengers Ultron Revolution "The House of Zemo"
    Episode Debut - October 9th, 2016
    Directed by: Micah Gunnell
    Written by: Paul Giacoppo

Baron Zemo returns to target the Avengers alongside his father, whom he’s brought back from the 1940s.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

2. Capt.Traphouse

Capt.Traphouse Sexiest Thing Since Sex

The real villains were the people who made those dock workers work the night shift on the 4th of July. Once again capitalism is a karma houdini.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. TheLemsterPju

TheLemsterPju Well-Known Member

Great episode. I'm glad they didn't cheapen Helmut's redemption by erasing him from existence like 2099!Zemo. Hopefully Helmut will come into play later, or become leader of the Thunderbolts again. :)

Of course they don't explain how Helmut survived post-"Thunderbolts Revealed". It's not even brought up...

It was...odd seeing Widow so cheery during the "Surprise!" scene. I'm so used to not seeing her that upbeat.

So was Heinrich imprisoned like Helmut said back in "Saving Captain Rogers", or did he die during the war? I'm not sure if that was a retcon or we're meant to assume he was given the death sentence.

• Like Like x 3
    #3 TheLemsterPju, Oct 9, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
  4. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I liked the nod to Steve's artistic skills with him trying to draw a sketch of his dad. Who ended up looking a lot like Hawkeye :confused:.

Is Steve's birthday being the 4th of July actually canon o_O?

One Zemo is usually a guarantee for a pretty good episode of Assemble, as has been demonstrated this season, but two Zemo's? Even better :D.

Seeing the original Baron Zemo get brought back by his son was certainly an interesting plot development, if one grounded in Helmut's obsession with his father and The Avengers' previous time travel dealings with Kang. Even as another man-out-of-time, the elder Zemo adapts well to the modern era and proves every bit the cunning planner and ferocious fighter that his son is, but obviously not as respectful :ack:.

Zemo 2099 popping up out-of-nowhere was quite the surprise, and he proved a very cool, monstrous, and impressive physical threat against The Avengers as he went toe-to-toe with both Thor and Hulk without much difficulty. It's just too bad we couldn't get to see anything else from 2099, like a certain future Web-Slinger ;).

Clint, Sam, and Natasha getting sent back in time and meeting a pre-Captain America Steve Rogers was fun, even if it feels like they could've done a lot more with the premise. It would've been nice to see Bucky or possibly Dr. Erskine, maybe even deal with more of the trio's reaction to the period they were living in :).

And of course they would fit in a movie reference with Steve using a trash can lid as a shield, which he promptly hits Hawkeye with :p.

Steve trying to remember his dad and Clint getting the photo for him was really sweet :anime:.

Hmm...I'm of two minds in regards to Zemo's redemption in this episode. On the one hand, it's reflective of the character's development in the comics for when he finally moved past his obsession with his father's legacy and tried to genuinely become a "hero" in his own right, even if it happens much more quickly in terms of Assemble!Zemo's career. So on that front it's certainly an interesting direction to take with the character, especially given it seems to setup a return for the Thunderbolts down the line as well :cool:.

But at the same time, it feels like it's robbing the show of one of its strongest villains by giving them a redemption arc this early. Compared to Red Skull or the Kang and Ultron episodes this season, Zemo has proven to be a far more effective and compelling antagonist for The Avengers, particularly with his deep and personal enmity with Captain America. And now, on his fifth appearance in this series, he's giving all that up to become a hero. Maybe I'd be less bothered by this if it felt like there were other villain strong enough to take Zemo's place as a strong Avengers antagonist, but I don't think the show has been able to give us that so far, except for maybe Yelena and she's far more singularly focused on Black Widow :shrug:.

I also think we missed out on what could've been a really cool plot, seeing the Zemo's trying to take control of Hydra for themselves, which would've been pretty interesting given how nebulous Hydra's leadership has been in the cartoons so far :sweat:.

So...shouldn't Steve stopping Heinrich before he even became Captain America cause some sort of time paradox, since Steve still needs to fight Baron Zemo in WWII? Are we just to assume that Zemo escaped custody and then went on to do all the stuff he originally did in WWII? Is finding Heinrich what saved Steve from assault charges against those MP's? Heck, when exactly did Helmut bring his father back from? Is this supposed to explain what happened to Heinrich after the war? Doesn't Hawkeye taking the picture also change the timeline, unless Steve completely misremembered the events that led to him losing it? Time travel makes my head hurt...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. BlackoutCreature

BlackoutCreature Well-Known Member

I just have to ask, did they have electronic bullhorns like the one that guard used back in 1943? It seemed a little advanced for the time.

I liked the episode over-all, but between Baron Zemo Sr., Zemo 2099 and the Avengers trapped in 1943, there was more then enough material here to get a good two-parter or even three-parter out of this. Heck, just Falcon, Widow and Hawkeye trapped in the 40's alone would've made a kick-butt multi-episode story arc.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Some thoughts about the episode:

- It was cool Zemo returned, and this time he teamed-up with his father to take down Captain America. Pretty cool stuff. The interactions between the two were good, though it became kind of awkward towards the end. I wonder if we have really seen the last of Helmut, and it should be interesting seeing how these events might have affected him, if at all.

- Zemo-2099 was a nice surprise, I wasn't expecting that, or for him to look quite like that. He proved to be a pretty good adversary and provided some neat action scenes, since the Avengers seemed to be no match for him throughout the episode.

- Hawkeye, Black Widow & Falcon trapped in 1943 and meeting a pre-Super Soldier Serum Steve Rogers was great. I would have liked seeing more of that, but what we got was entertaining enough. I liked the young Steve, how he interacted with the others and started developing his skills at throwing garbage can lids.

- Present-day Cap had a pretty good outing as well, either fighting the House of Zemo and even offering Helmut a helping hand, but also in his down-time with the other Avengers. I think the episode could have worked fine even without the bit about it being Cap's birthday, but the scene where he receives a photo of his father was a pretty touching moment and a nice way to end the episode.

All in all, a pretty solid episode, though I didn't think it was as good as Zemo's debut on the show ("Saving Captain Rogers" is probably still my favorite episode this season, so far)

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I also had a nice laugh at seeing those MP's firing laser guns out-of-nowhere :p.

Another bit of missed story potential, in my opinion, was seeing Zemo interact with other Hydra heads or Cap villains like Skull, Strucker, or even Zola. Given that most of them probably knew his father and high ranks in Hydra, it would've been interesting to see how they'd react to the resurgence of a new Baron Zemo and his desire for power.

It would've been very interesting to see him play off Skull given Zemo now has a brand of the Super-Soldier serum coursing through his body as well, putting him on equal footing with Red Skull :ack:.

Strucker facing off against Zemo would've been cool if only because then we'd have Baron Zemo vs. Baron Zemo :D.

• Like Like x 2
  8. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

Great episode. I actually liked Zemo sort of redeeming himself, but I wonder if it will actually last. Franken-Zemo from the future was pretty freaky.

Amused by causal loop of Hawkeye being the one to steal Steve's picture of his dad. But I mean, if I was Steve, I'd be like, "You were the one who still it, ya jerk!"

I really liked the opening scene with Steve trying to draw a picture of his father but having trouble recollecting him. I'm kinda curious who the visual artwork for Steve's dad was based on. Was that meant to look like a young Joe Simon?

• Like Like x 3
  9. Dustellar

Dustellar Active Member

Consistency isn't something in favor of the series, considering that they didn't even bother to explain how he survive... this will last until Zemo reappear as full villain in the MCU, although will be faithful to comics... Zemo as "hero" didn't last long :p

• Like Like x 2
  10. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

For the sake of this show's villain pool, I hope it doesn't :sweat:.

I'm not sure about Joe Simon, but Steve's dad looked a heck of a lot like Clint in that picture...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon The Christmas Cretin

Young Steve reminded me of Dean Venture. So earnest and naive. I wish we spent more time with him and the time period. It feels like this episode and the second Kang episode both introduced time travel and then glossed over the main appeal of the plot device: having characters fumble around and interact with their new environment.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

Skinny Steve wasn't even enlisted yet, but he was walking around the base like he was running the place.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

And he got away with assaulting an MP :eek:.

• Agree Agree x 4
  14. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Young Steve was probably given a full pardon after single-handedly capturing Zemo at the base.

As for him walking around the base without being recruited, maybe he was supposed to be the camp mascot like Bucky was in the early comics.

I didn't even consider the possibility of Steve's dad being a tribute to one of his comic book creators, pretty cool if it's true.

• Agree Agree x 2