Marvel's Avengers Ultron Revolution "A Friend in Need" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Sep 11, 2016.

?

Rate & Discuss this Avengers Ultron Revolution episode!

1. *****

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Tune in for a new episode of Marvel's Avengers Ultron Revolution, today at 8:30AM ET on Disney XD!

[​IMG]
    Marvel's Avengers Ultron Revolution "A Friend in Need"
    Episode Debut - September 11th, 2016
    Directed by: Phil Pignotti
    Written by: Mark Banker

Thor teaches the Vision the value of friendship by taking him to Asgard where together they must fight an Ultron-controlled Destroyer.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

2. Capt.Traphouse

Capt.Traphouse Sexiest Thing Since Sex

Great episode. Really great.

Colbalt Man fight was awesome. This animation bump is really doing works, the show is actually a show and not a moving comic book like season 1. Great fight with a usually minor villain. Ulik's fight was short but fun too. The final fight with Ultron was great and some poignant for me idk.

Loki appearing and it actually didn't annoy me. Him throwing some shade at Ultron was fun. I love it when villains trash talk each other.

Woah, The writing has really gotten better. Thor vs. Vision (Ultron) scene was SICK. Vision sticking his hand in Thor's chest, "I will show you the difference between true immortality and wishful thinking" and "I am no pawn". That was really well done. I also forgot that Vision is as strong as Hulk and Thor when he wants to be."They live, for now". "You won't be so lucky".

Yeah they stole two scenes from Avengers 1 and 2 (Tony riding the missile, Ultron and Vision talking) but both were so well done that I don't care. Especially when Vision realized the Avengers would do anything to save him. That was cool.

Hulk sitting on the projector was hilarious.

• Like Like x 2
  3. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

This was a mixed bag. Probably my least favorite episode of what has otherwise been a strong season. It reminded me of a Season 1 episode in the worst possible way. An Avenger acting like a little child (I was waiting for Hulk to start screaming about cookies or pizza again), shamelessly ripping off scenes from the movies, and a really forced moral. The idea of Vision needing to learn to work as part of a team is interesting but the execution was like grade school levels of silly.

That said, I loved all the little nods in Odin's treasure room, like Thor's axe from the current series or Valkyrie's sword (I actually wonder if this was foreshadowing an appearance from Valkyrie in Season 4). The fight with Cobalt Man was also very cool.

I'm really hoping the Captain Marvel and Black Panther spotlight episodes are stronger, because I've been waiting for those two for a while.

• Like Like x 4
  4. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Things I liked:

- Vision finally appearing on the show. I would have liked some kind of brief explanation as to who he is or how he was created. His design could have been better but his voice and characterization were pretty great as far as I'm concerned. Him wanting to learn what friendship is might sound like a silly concept but I think they managed to make a pretty interesting story out of it.
    - The fight scenes - whether it was against the Cobalt Man, the Destroyer armor, or even Ulik, the fights were pretty cool and had some neat choreography. I think the most unique and entertaining one was with Cobalt Man, partly because of his abilities and the fact this was the first time he showed up.
    - All those Easter Eggs in Asgard, cool stuff. Even Loki was used pretty well and I'm glad he didn't end up being the villain of the story. Similarly the pairing of Thor and Vision was an interesting idea and I liked how it played out.

Things I didn't like:

- While it was neat seeing Ultron again and him possessing various weapons including the Destroyer armor, the story was pretty underwhelming overall and didn't make much sense at times either. The interactions towards the end between Ultron and Vision were nice but it shouldn't really surprise anyone the former just might return later on.
    - Most of the humor in the episode fell flat to me. A little too much forced humor, Hulk acting stupid got on my nerves and didn't really add anything to the overall story. I get they were probably trying to portray him as missing his buddy Thor but they went overboard with it.

All things considered, a decent episode but just not on par with the others this season offered so far. Probably the weakest and most disappointing one yet. It's interesting, but the weakest episode of Avengers EMH also featured the Destroyer armor...

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. TheLemsterPju

TheLemsterPju Well-Known Member

This was written by an Adventure Time writer, so more comedy was expected. I liked this episode.

* Cobalt Man? I guess it makes sense that it wasn't Iron Monger, as I expected it to be, so I imagine Obadiah is currently dead. Though I don't think Cobalt Man in the comics was able to teleport. Maybe they wanted it to feel more unique rather than just a generic armored/robot villain?
    * Visions gloves turned from yellow to red.
    * Balder! :D
    * Harokin is pretty obscure. Someone has been reading silver age Thor comics.
    * Isn't Hela a tad bit worried that her brother (Fenris Wolf) is locked up on Asgard? I'm sure she cares much more about the dog than Loki. :p
    * Valkyrie was mentioned too!
    * I have a feeling that Ultron taking over Friday in the episode was foreshadowing that he is going to use her as a vessel for his own personal bride. (i.e. Jocasta. Don't destroy her like A:EMH did!)
    * Ultron was totally threatening and ruthless in a couple scene. The part with him reaching into Thor's chest threatening to test out his mortality was brutal.

• Like Like x 2
  6. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon The Christmas Cretin

The Hulk plot felt so out of place. So season 1.

I was hoping to hear more from Vision on friendship before he came to his answer. His insights and interpretations would have been interesting to hear.

Between this and Guardians, I think the writing staff has finally got a handle on Loki.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought this was an okay episode. It was fun and there wasn't anything terribly bad about it, but after how strong and impactful the writing and direction have been for the last few episodes, this felt a little more underwhelming by comparison. Still, certainly not one of the worst episodes of Assemble, and I still enjoyed it ;).

Certainly one of the strongest part of the episode were the fight sequences, from the fight with Cobalt-Man (nice choice) at the beginning, Thor and Vision tag-teaming Ulik and Ultron, and the team vs. Destroyer, which all kept my eyes glued to the screen :cool:.

Vision finally makes his debut, and overall I'd say this was a solid debut episode for Viz and so far it looks like the creators have a decent handling of him. His design is as unnecessarily detailed and full of unnecessary lines as a lot of the other movie designs adapted into the show, especially on his face, but otherwise he looked pretty decent though I wish the green on his body was a little brighter :sad:.

Characterization-wise, he was pretty much on-point for Vision's general characterization as a detached, logical, synthezoid that's trying to better understand human emotions. Obviously we're missing Scarlet Witch, so that's a major relationship and element of Vision's character development that's missing from the cartoons, but seeing him try to understand friendship and camaraderie through interacting with The Avengers, particularly Thor, was interesting. I hope we can see more of Vision interacting with the other Avengers in the future, outside Thor and Iron Man who he had the bulk of interaction with in this episode, though that might just be saved for the New Avengers next season :ack:.

Power-level wise, the show did a good job of showcasing just how strong and versatile Vision is. Flight, super-strength, his solar beams, the ability to control his density, and obviously his interchangeability, all make him an extreme (and kinda overpowered) powerhouse. Not to mention he has the intellect to use his powers to their fullest with some extremely complex calculations. When you think about it, when he's with the group, he kinda makes half the team seem redundant :p.

They pretty much just threw Vision in there without really bothering to give much context to him as a character, aside from explaining why he hasn't been in the city. No mention of his origin, that Ultron created him, or that JARVIS is now The Vision, so anybody wondering about why JARVIS has been missing since the premier won't find any answers here unless they saw Age of Ultron or can hazard a guess that JARVIS and Vision are related because they share the same VA o_O.

I'm also kind of surprised Ultron and Vision's relationship was completely glossed over since that's usually a pretty integral part of their relationship, but then again, given they've never bothered to explain Ultron's origin or include the Oedipal Complex that's also a major part of his character, I can't say I'm surprised :shrug:.

This episode was basically a checklist for Thor Easter eggs and references. From cameos of Balder, Tyr, The Warriors Three (in what is probably the closest we've seen them together since that one Agents of SMASH episode), Fenrir, Harokin, Jarnbjorn, Valkyries sword, and decent roles for Ulik, Loki and the Destroyer armor. So that was all really cool, even if ideally I would've preferred actually seeing Balder, Valkyrie, or The Warriros Three in the flesh and going more in-depth with Thor's mythology, but it was still nice nods. Though poor Sif still getting left out :(.

The Destroyer and Loki together is usually a recipe for a lackluster episode, unless we're talking about Guardians, but thankfully they were both utilized fairly well here and Loki's appearance was basically a cameo more then anything else. Him being able to notice Ultron's presence in Vision was interesting, and it seems they have a history or awareness of each other in this universe. I'm curious to see if that will be expanded on in the future :evil:.

I'm still kind of straining my head trying to figure out how Ultron was able to possess all those Asgardian artifacts...so, his programing is so advanced that he can just bypass into the quasi-mystical weaponry of Asgard and control them? Because Asgardians here are "alien," not "Gods," so they're still just basically using tech and not really magic? Though how does that explain how he was able to control and throw around a sword and an axe? Are mystical runes basically a landline he can follow now :confused:?

Jim Meskimen has, for me, been doing a poor man's Ultron since season 2, but I thought this episode had one of his stronger performances. Maybe because his delivery was better or just the lines and or direction he was given helped him out, but his Ultron voice just felt more notable in this episode :).

Though, while I'm at least glad they're using Ultron more consistently as a villain given his name is in the title, I can't say a constant rinse-and-repeat of Ultron coming back in a new body, doing some kind of plan, getting blown up or defeated by the Avengers at the end of the episode, and repeat is really entertaining me :rolleyes:.

If Arsenal had been in that hostage situation, somehow I don't think The Avengers would have agreed to Ultron's demands. or at least Tony would have and then the rest of the team would complain to him about it for the rest of the episode :sweat:.

2-3 movie references or scenes and dialogue ripped straight from the movies? A Thor punch? Hulk acting immature? Is this an unreleased season 1 episode :eek:?

• Like Like x 3
  8. RoryWilliams

Yes providing no context whatsoever to Vision was weird. I know by now there's a (correct) assumption most people watching this have seen the movies, but they didn't even bother mentioning that he used to be JARVIS.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Dustellar

Dustellar Active Member

Obviously the writers and Wacker are assuming that everyone who sees the series also saw the movies... they had already said that they wouldn't bother to show the origins of certain characters, especially Ultron and Vision because for many people, which unfortunately don't read comics, Ultron was created by Stark and Vision was JARVIS in the past.

Balder was a nice surprise... considering that he's a really important character but totally ignored by the movies, +1 because in the episode appear many Asgard characters and concepts that doesn't appear in the MCU, this was a nice Thor episode more than a Vision episode and debut...

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Though it's weird that, while they assume you've watched the movies and thus don't need backstory for certain characters, they also to some degree act like that backstory doesn't even exist :confused:.

I mean, if we're supposed to see Age of Ultron as canon to this cartoon, why is it never mentioned that Tony built Ultron? Exactly why does Ultron hate humanity? Why does Ultron suddenly not have his obsession with proving he's better then his "father?" Why do Ultron and Vision not acknowledge the familial connection between them or that Ultron helped create him? Why is there no mention of JARVIS and JARVIS becoming Vision? Does Vision currently have the Mind Stone?

Say what you will about Zemo and Kang, at least they actually gave those characters fairly clear backgrounds and motivations :sweat:.

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, not as bad as I was expecting. The best part was the Cobalt action scene; Vision looked really impressive, as he should. Loki's cameo was actually kinda cool, and the final fight was fine too.

Sadly, Ultron himself was boring, and the humor was just too silly.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. bigdaddy313

bigdaddy313 Well-Known Member

You all make good points.

Marvel should Full Stop Slapstick comedies for good.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. TheLemsterPju

Marvel uses slapstick all the time. A lot of action shows in the past 6 years did too.

• Like Like x 1
    #13 TheLemsterPju, Sep 12, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
  14. RoryWilliams

There's a difference between having jokes and doing jokes well. That's like saying Blazing Saddles or Coming To America are the same quality-wise as Epic Movie or Scary Movie 37 because they both have jokes in them.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I think it also depends on how the slapstick actually plays out. I don't really have a problem with it if it's happening during a fight scene (for example, Ms. Marvel slapping Ghost around with her giant hand), but when it's used for filler scenes like in this episode just to show how the characters act when they just hang out together not fighting crime, it just feels kind of goofy and forced.

• Agree Agree x 4
  16. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

For what it's worth, I think Assemble's best humor has been character based, using the characterization and character interaction to deliver some genuinely funny lines and moments, rather then the characters acting silly or goofy just for the sake of it.

There's a difference between a line about Steve watching a super-long documentary about Tony, and actually taking notes about it, to Hulk going crazy over a cookie and breaking stuff all the time.

• Agree Agree x 5
  17. Capt.Traphouse

Capt.Traphouse Sexiest Thing Since Sex

Tony's ego, Nighthawk's insults or Zemo's hamminess has always been funnier than a Thor vs. Hulk punch. (Though I really liked that episode the giant bone monster about this concept).

• Like Like x 1
  18. dr_marvel2040

dr_marvel2040 Member

I liked the actions in this episode...but how ultron got control of asgardian technology that easy???????and how did vision turn off the destroyer controls????

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. TheLemsterPju

Epic Movie is a different league altogether. Totally incomparable.

Honestly, I don't mind that we get to see what the Avengers do on their off-time. It feels more human to me than them simply just training for the next fight. Sure it can get goofy, but I understand they need to give the kids something to laugh at. It's not really out-of-character for the Hulk to break stuff, though I can see how that can be annoying for a lot of people.

#19 TheLemsterPju, Sep 12, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
  20. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Still, it's in the same genre (comedy) and style of movie (satire/parody), so I think it's fair to compare them.
    I'm all for seeing what The Avenger do on their down-time, I've been wanting more of that for a while now, but I think there are better and more appropriate ways of going about it then the show has often done.

• Agree Agree x 3