Marvel's Avengers: Secret Wars "Westland" Talkback (Spoilers)

Latest News

Rate & Discuss this "Avengers: Secret Wars" episode!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ****1/2

• ***1/2

• **1/2

Votes: 2 100.0%

• *1/2

• 1/2

• Total voters

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Mar 8, 2009
Ratings
7,632 6
A Valid Location
Tune in for a new episode of Marvel's Avengers: Secret Wars, today at 8:30AM ET on Disney XD!

Marvel's Avengers: Secret Wars "Westland"
Episode Debut - March 4th, 2018
Directed by - Micah Gunnell
Written by - Geoffrey Thorne

Hawkeye, Vision, and Wasp head to the old west world of 1872 to find Doctor Strange.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Side-Note: If possible, please try and discuss the events of each new episode airing today in its respective talkback thread.

Apr 23, 2017
Ratings
I am Groot
I am Vision
I am Groot
I am Vision
:lol:

Edit #1: Fun episode overall. Really liked the mix of old avengers, new avengers, non-avengers, aliens, sentient animals, etc. Kinda reminded me of Justice League Unlimited where you would get maybe one of the original JL members and then mix in some of the expanded league characters.

Thought Wasp giving Hawkeye his own speech from Age of Ultron was apropos as well/. I haven't checked the episode schedule yet, but hopefully we don't have to wait 6 more weeks for the next episodes.

Last edited:

BlackoutCreature

Mar 10, 2002
Ratings
Visit site
I wonder if Natalie Portman would've stuck with the MCU if they would've portrayed Jane Foster as a laser gun wielding Cowgirl riding a dinosaur?

And no Jane, nobody calls you "Calamity Jane Foster", not in that town, not ever. You just made that up to try to impress Vision. Shame on you.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
Feb 27, 2008
Ratings
2,285 4
177A Bleecker Street
For some reason, seeing Hawkeye, Wasp and Vision together as a team just sort of stood out to me. As much as this show is about "The Avengers", I don't often get the feeling that I'm watching the classic team that I know and love but this random grouping of members sort of gave me that vibe somehow (minus the tag-alongs). The episode itself didn't do much for me though. I love westerns and I don't think that they used that element as well as they could have.

Sent from my AT7-B using Tapatalk

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Ratings
2,466 4
Framingham, MA
I wonder if Natalie Portman would've stuck with the MCU if they would've portrayed Jane Foster as a laser gun wielding Cowgirl riding a dinosaur?
Natalie Portman does not strike me as a person with an especially good sense of humor. So I don't think it would have made a difference.

Marvel’s Avengers: Secret Wars “Westland”

Here is the specific reason the episode doesn’t hold together. Hawkeye should not be as good an archer blind as he is. Batman can function blind or at diminished capacity because he trained himself for that. Hawkeye instantly claims his skills are useless without his eyes, which says he never trained for this scenario. And then he turns out to be a competent archer after all.

I’m calling b.s.. That is a particular skill-set that takes practice. You can’t simply do it with an encouraging word from Wasp and a good helping of Believing In Yourself. That’s not how it works. And the episode is worse because of it.

I don’t even know why they bothered blinding Hawkeye. It’s not like the episode wasn’t already filled with twists. I mean, Rocket and Groot? Jane Foster? Devil Freaking Dinosaur? Hawkeye’s illogical blindness is even worse when you realize they didn’t even actually need to do it to keep things interesting. This was pretty much the most eclectic roster of heroes I could have pictured.

Jane’s scene with Loki at the end annoyed me. But I’ll talk more about why in the coming weeks.

That “I am Groot” / “I am Vision” thing got old QUICK. Rocket seems to convey the proper level of annoyance for me, which is strange because he actually understands them both. But it is super annoying.

Laughed at the gag at the end of Rocket being mad when Groot keeps regrowing the sheriff’s badge.

Rewatching the recap at the beginning of the episode makes me realize they should have just gotten Frakes to voice Beyonder. He looks completely like a cross between Riker and Xanatos. It borders on eerie. I do not know why they didn’t just get Frakes when they gave the Beyonder that design.

I can’t grade an episode that treats blindness with the idea that it is merely a state of mind as anything but a fail. It means the writers don’t take the disability seriously. Do you know whose perspective we could have used? Daredevil. And the episode is worse without it. **.

Last edited:

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Mar 8, 2009
Ratings
7,632 6
A Valid Location
This episode reminded me a lot of the first season finale from Justice League Unlimited or that Webslinger segment from "Return to the Spider-Verse" from Ultimate Spider-Man, with the whole "weird western" vibe. It was pretty good, overall.

I liked all the characters assembled here, Devil Dinosaur and Rocket & Groot were pretty surprising additions. They didn't really add much to the story (like Iron Fist did a few episodes ago), but it was kind of nice seeing them again.

The story was decent. The humor worked a couple of times and while it was neat that Vision could communicate with Groot, their discussions were getting kind of annoying.

I presume the warning Jane Foster gave to Loki will come true in the final episodes (especially that "force of nature" bit).

It was funny seeing that "Wanted asleep or awake" poster for Typhoid Mary and Moon Boy.

All in all, a pretty fun story though nothing too spectacular. I at least liked it and found it more entertaining than the other episode that premiered before.

Last edited:

Roxas_Sora

Apr 5, 2007
Ratings
311 1
South of Europe
Well, now about the other episode:

+ Dinosaurs in a western. Sounds familiar? Two words: "Penn Zero, Part-Time Hero". At least this version had high tech guns, which is way more useful than sligshots. I truly believe this would have been a great place to see the western characters from the Spider-Verse: Webslinger and Phantom Rider.

+ Groot and Rocket were here with the Milano, where the blasters are the other Guardians of the Galaxy? I would like to see them somewhere.

+ The scenes with "I am Groot"/"I am Vision" almost make me die laughing.

+ "Calamity Jane Foster", very appropiated.

+ "No such thing as a domesticated T-Rex", it's obvious Jane Foster didn't follow A-Bomb's website about the adventures of the Agents of SMASH. Still, I don't get why Devil Dinosaur had his "giant monster form" that the Leader gave her instead of his "standard size" from previous appearances.

+ The shrinking/growing abilities of Ant-Man and Wasp are once again very useful, just like in the pirate episode.

+ "Wrath of Jane Foster like a force of nature", sounds really spoilerish, don't you think? But if this mean we are not going to see Jane Foster as Thor until the very last episode, that's pretty lame!!

+ Groot and Rocket working as sheriff and bounty hunters suit them really well. "Asleep or Awake"?, it wasn't supposed to say "Dead or Alive"? Is this censorship from Disney or what?

+ Finally, I get why Typhoid Mary was wanted, but why was Moon Boy with her? Not to mention the last time we saw him was in an alternative reality. How did he ended up there? I guess it's the nature of Battleworld. Moon Boy and Devil Dinosaur is a classic pair, but the monster Devil Dino from this episode was a little big for Moon Boy.

Well, opinions?

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Ratings
11,198 46
Sherman Oaks CA
Once again, Wasp has had more involved interaction and dynamics with another Avenger then she has had with Ant-Man. Not that I didn't enjoy Wasp trying to inspire Hawkeye to work past his temporary disability (even though he made do with being blind already in the season 1 finale), and Hope definitely felt her most like Jan in this episode :).

It was fun seeing Rocket and Groot pop up here and team-up with the other Avengers, though I have to wonder what happened to the other Guardians o_O.

Vision finding a way to understand and speak Groot's language was a pretty amusing scene, especially with how much it annoyed Rocket :p.

Why was Jane Foster the sheriff? I mean, Doctor Strange as the town doctor makes sense with his character but I'm not sure we've seen anything from Jane Foster to imply she would make sense as a gun-toting, dinosaur-riding, lawman/woman aside from the few times she's shown a willingness to get in the thick of things. With her blonde hair and outfit she felt a lot more like Sharon Carter then Jane Foster :sweat:.

I get that the show keeps trying to remind us of who Jane Foster is and try to make her look cool before she inevitably ends up becoming Thor, but I don't think they're doing that good a job of it...

Y'know, it's really hard to feel any investment in Jane Foster's enmity with Loki when the most context we have for it is that they have off-screen "history." I guess it works if you take into account their dynamic from the comics and movies, but I feel like we need more then that here :shrug:.

It's a shame we probably won't see Westland again, because Rocket and Groot as the town sheriff seems like a plot development I wouldn't mind seeing more of :D.

So Typhoid Mary and Moon Boy are wanted criminals? Mary I can get, though Moon Boy seems kind of random unless they need him to control Devil Dinosaur. Maybe something seriously wrong happened after that gorilla wedding :rolleyes2:?