Marvel's Avengers: Secret Wars "The Once And Future Kang" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Oct 15, 2017.

?

Rate & Discuss this "Avengers: Secret Wars" episode!

1. *****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  7. **

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Tune in for Marvel's Avengers: Secret Wars! Disney XD will premiere two new episodes, back-to-back, today starting at 8:00AM ET!

[​IMG]
    Marvel's Avengers: Secret Wars "The Once And Future Kang"
    Episode Debut - October 15th, 2017

Vision and Wasp head to the future to save Falcon who has joined forces with Kang the Conqueror.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Side-Note: If possible, please try and discuss the events of each new episode airing today in its respective talkback thread.

• Like Like x 1
  2. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

I have to laugh at Falcon's new gear given it's significantly lower tech than what he was already wearing. At least that was armored!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Orrgo turning up at the beginning was kind of random, but I guess the writers wanted to fit in some team action with the Avengers fighting a giant monster :cool:.

So Jane Foster finally turns up again to reveal she's found the original Avengers and set off the plot of the next few episodes. It would've been nice to have gotten at least some mention or update on what she was doing in the last six episodes :shrug:.

It's kind of weird to think we've had more episodes spotlighting Wasp's dynamic with other Avengers then we have her relationship with Ant-Man o_O.

An aged Red Hulk turning up as the sole hero fighting against Kang was a bit of a surprise (I guess the writers just really like Red Hulk for some reason). His irritable and slobby nature gave him a nice dynamic with Wasp, and I love how he's grown his Thunderbolt Ross mustache on his Hulk form :p.

It's kind of hilarious that it took four seasons and a whole time travel explanation to finally give us a version of Falcon that resembles the movies. It's like, why even bother at this point? Though when they have Sam bringing up how he's "not a kid anymore" I can at least be happy that we don't have to deal with a teenage Sam Wilson anymore :sweat:.

It's so weird to see Wasp acting like she knows The Avengers well, and vice-versa, when she's been a no-show the past three seasons of the show :confused:.

I'm glad they gave a better reasoning for Kang demeaning himself by joining the Cabal then just wanting to destroy The Avengers, since it was for his own purposes to save the future from his own meddling, which is totally in-character for Kang ;).

Kang and Sam's whole protege/mentor dynamic would've been a good chance to show off the more noble side of Kang's personality, and Sam even pointed out that he seemed to find more good in Kang during their time together, but I guess I'm not surprised they just wrote it off to leave Kang a more traditional villain :ack:.

• Like Like x 2
  4. BlackoutCreature

BlackoutCreature Well-Known Member

How did Jen get up to the Torch of the Statue of Liberty? Outside of a couple of very very rare diplomatic exceptions nobodies been allowed up there since like World War I.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  5. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It was cool seeing Kang working alone again, after he was part of the new Cabal in the season premiere. Falcon getting a re-design was a pretty big surprise, after so much time. It looks nice and it should be interesting seeing how he'll be portrayed in the next episodes, since he's supposedly older now. The team-up between Vision and Wasp was decent, but I was expecting her to be paired up with Ant-Man (though that might have been too predictable).

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. TheLemsterPju

TheLemsterPju Well-Known Member

Is this like the tenth or eleventh "bad future" we've had now? If none of them are set in stone, then that gives a whole new meaning to "not knowing what the future holds". There's practically no true future, just alternate ones that constantly change.

The more I think about it, that's honestly a depressing notion in the context of this universe...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Why does the deaf girl look older in the future than Falcon?

Anyway...yay, movie Falcon. It was kind of weird how we got him, but it's better than what he had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. TheLemsterPju

TheLemsterPju Well-Known Member

I believe Falcon said that he was brought into the future and stayed there a few years working for Kang. He only aged like 5-10 years while he was there; it's not like he was there for 50+ years.

But yeah, I agree, it was needlessly complicated and they didn't explain it well enough.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Medinnus

Medinnus Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Moments I liked:
    * Captain Carol's moment with the deaf girl Jen. Well-handled.
    * Ant'Man's containment cell.
    * Kang as a mastermind, and not someone else's minion.
    * Sam Wilson re-design.

Moments I disliked:
    * Red Hulk. Never liked him, never will. An ill-conceived character, made more idiotic by bad writing and infantile characterization. What unimaginative hack created him, anyway?
    * Vague writing. If the Singularity is going to destroy the planet, why worry about NYC? Where the hell is Reed Richards?

• Like Like x 2
  10. Barbossa

Barbossa Active Member

So young Falcon is gone forever from this show...Just like that. Ok then...

• Like Like x 2
  11. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Marvel's Avengers: Secret Wars "The Once And Future Kang"

I love that Captain Marvel saves a little deaf girl. You don't see many deaf people in cartoons. I also like that she showed up in the future at the end as an old woman.

Good way to get Falcon in a design closer to his MCU counterpart.

"I'm an Avenger!" Kill me now.

Love a balding Red Hulk with a handlebar mustache and beer gut.

Pretty good episode. ****.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Happy Holidays
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm not a guy that enjoys massive character changes like rapid age changes but they did so little with Sam's age and backstory on this show that it really didn't matter that much when they aged him up from being a teenager. I like that they at least did it in a sensible way. I really had no complaints here other than having to see Red Hulk again. I've never been that big of a fan, especially of his use as a hero, but they did at least use him well as a stumbling block. Thunderbolt was already about as old as Red Hulk looked here so it's interesting that he aged into that.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon A Real American Strongman

I don't really understand why Kang didn't just tell people that the timeline was compromised and get a whole team working on the problem. I mean, he was just going to betray them anyway...

After so many of these dystopia stories (not just here) I think I feel numb to all this. We got a ruined city, some robots serving an all-powerful tyrant, a resistance, a former hero seemingly turned to evil. Eh, okay. And now Falcon's Anthony Mackie.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Even with Assemble I think this might be the third or fourth one they've done at this point :p.

We've got that alternate Doom timeline in season 1, the Squadron-controlled Earth in season 2, the Kang-controlled future in Ultron Revolution, and now this dystopian future :sweat:.

I feel like Bumper Robinson's been doing an Anthony Mackie impression for Sam since the beginning, even when they've never actually written him like MCU Sam. Though he changed his voice a little here, so now we've got a Falcon with the MCU design but not exactly sounding like Anthony Mackie :confused:.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon A Real American Strongman

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1