Marvel's Avengers: Secret Wars "New Year's Resolution" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Dec 3, 2017.

?

Rate & Discuss this "Avengers: Secret Wars" episode!

1. *****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. ****1/2

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Tune in for a new episode of Marvel's Avengers: Secret Wars, today at 8:30AM ET on Disney XD!

[​IMG]
    Marvel's Avengers: Secret Wars "New Year's Resolution"
    Episode Debut - December 3rd, 2017

Past and present collide as Howard Stark and Peggy Carter team up with Iron Man and Captain America to save the time stream from Kang the Conqueror.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

• Like Like x 1
  2. TheLemsterPju

TheLemsterPju Well-Known Member

A kiss between Steve and Peggy at the end would have made it perfect...Although the "Perhaps it was never meant to be" line from Peggy was really heavy, all things considered.

(Also, I kinda felt bad for laughing at Dr. Faustus' asthmatic running. Poor geezer could barely outrun them.)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Aw, the scenes between Steve and Peggy were sweet, and Tony and Howard had some fun moments too. I'm glad that Peggy and Howard got an episode to appear in.

So apparently this is the animation debut of Arno Stark. I wish he had at least one line, but maybe it wouldn't make sense to cast someone for only a single line....

Poor Kang...he used to be able to take on the whole Avengers team, but now...

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I guess this was another special holiday episode the creators had in reserve and set earlier into the series so they could spotlight the old Avengers. While it feels weird to have a New Years episode airing this early into December, it was nice to see Iron Man again and together with Cap :D.

It was also actually kind of nice to see Avengers Tower again after all this time :anime:.

One of the benefits allowed the cartoons is to go to places and tell stories that the movies probably won't, which means we can get a story where Steve and Peggy get to reunite and Tony gets to meet his dad in his prime :).

By virtue of the fact that they did the relationship between Steve and Peggy a modicum of justice, this episode probably had the most romance in a Marvel cartoon in a really long time, which is saying something. I'm just disappointed we didn't get a kiss at the end, especially with a New Year's countdown going on :(.

I'm honestly a little surprised we didn't get to see Tony's issues or resentment with Howard as a father come up. I guess after Arsenal he kind of got over it, and it would've put a damper on the "feel-good" nature of the episode, but after Howard asked if he was a good dad I was expecting a more complex answer from Tony o_O.

Haley Atwell getting to reprise Peggy was pretty awesome, even if it was kind of weird to see her playing off against a Captain America that's not Chris Evans, though Roger Craig Smith acquitted himself well :proud:.

I see Charlie Schlattler was channeling Dominic Cooper's Howard Stark with his performance in this episode, which was kind of distracting, but I guess none moreso then Mick Wingert's RDJ impression as Iron Man :sweat:.

Random Dr. Faustus is random, but I guess if you're going to go for some Agent Carter synergy, why not just throw in the main villain of the first season of that show? At least he got to square off against Cap in this ;).

In an episode centered on time travel it makes sense that Kang would be the main villain, although overall I thought this was another unremarkable appearance for the Conqueror. I mean, he was getting the tar kicked out of him for 80% of the episode, against only two Avengers and two non-powered special agents from the 1940's. How did he conquer an entire era again :rolleyes:?

I'd honestly be curious to see them follow-up on the fact of Tony learning he's eventually going to have kids if I knew the show was never going to develop his love life beyond just mentioning he dates off-screen Supermodels :rolleyes2:.

It was cool to see Arno Stark/Iron Man 2099 get referenced, and even make a surprise appearance at the end to bring Kang back to the future :cool:.

#4 Frontier, Dec 3, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  5. ChessKing

ChessKing Active Member

Arno Stark is Iron Man 2020 not Iron Man 2099
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Man_2020

• Like Like x 1
  6. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

7. ChessKing

ChessKing Active Member

Iron Man 2099 is Sonny Frisco he's a man with Dwarfism inside a giant suit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. TheLemsterPju

TheLemsterPju Well-Known Member

Iron Man: Armored Adventures had Andros Stark (aka Iron Man 2093). However, I'm not sure what the differences between Andros and Arno are.

They will never adapt ol' Sonny for screen, that's for sure...

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

That was kind of who I was thinking of, actually :sweat:.

You never know. We might see the Avengers 2099 on Marvel's Spider-Man ;).

• Like Like x 1
  10. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

What is it with the continuity in the holiday episodes? They're once again back in Avengers Tower and Tony apparently escaped the dimension he was trapped in offscreen.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

At this point I think we just have to assume they made some throwaway holiday episodes with the older cast (which they wouldn't have been able to pull off in the present continuity for a while).

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. ChessKing

ChessKing Active Member

Andros Stark is Tony's Grandson and Arno Stark according to comics from 1984 when he first appeared is the first cousin once removed of Tony Stark, and son of Morgan Stark, But over the years there have been a few retcons of the charector.

• Like Like x 1
  13. General Mike

General Mike Member

I;m sure when Iron Man 2020 was created, 2020 seemed so far away, but now with it almost here, the character just seems weird.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

A cute episode where both Tony and Steve reunite with their loved ones.
    Man, I keep forgetting that Iron Man’s supposed to be stuck in another dimension. After all that occurred this season, it feels so irrelevant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Marvel's Avengers: Secret Wars "New Year's Resolution"

Agent Carter! And they actually got Hayley Atwell to voice her! Yay!

I love Howard's perspective that new cars are ugly compared to cars of his era. And they are. But they are also a lot safer which is what matters in my book. Those old gorgeous classic cars were absolute deathtraps.

I love Tony's stunned reaction to learning he'll have a son. I'd be surprised if he doesn't already have a ton of kids out there he doesn't even know about.

Great episode. *****.

• Funny Funny x 1