Marvel's Avengers Assemble "New Frontiers" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Sep 13, 2015.

?

Rate this Avengers Assemble episode

1. *****

20.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

20.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

20.0%
  7. **

20.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

20.0%
  1. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Check out a new episode of Marvel's Avengers Assemble today on Disney XD! Thanos is back, bigger and badder than ever! Also featuring the first animated appearance of the Black Order!

[​IMG]
    Marvel's Avengers Assemble "New Frontiers"
    Episode Premiere Date - September 13th, 2015
    Directed by: Tim Eldred
    Written by: Kevin Burke & Chris "Doc" Wyatt

When an alien race begs the Avengers to save them from mysterious invaders, the team discovers Thanos is plundering the planet. Meanwhile, Tony seeks new challenges for the team.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

#1 RoyalRubble, Sep 13, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2015
  2. TheLemsterPju

TheLemsterPju Well-Known Member

Those first couple minutes were like something out of Young Justice. Me likey. ^_^

The Black Order were awesome.

• Agree Agree x 2
    #2 TheLemsterPju, Sep 13, 2015
  3. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon The Christmas Cretin

I feel bad saying this, but I would rather see more of The Black Order than Thanos. They were a pretty interesting team of villains. Where were they during the Infinity Stones arc?

With the official introduction of Korbinites can Beta Ray Bill be far behind?

• Like Like x 1
    #3 JoeMabbon, Sep 13, 2015
  4. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Pretty good episode. Nice to see Thanos return, now even more threatening than in his first appearances. The Black Order were pretty awesome - it would have been nice if they had a little more screen-time or if they revealed more about who they are and what they're capable of, but what we got was still good. They were pretty impressive opponents for the Avengers for most of the episode and I would like to see more of them. The opening scene where they rescue Thanos from his prison was probably their best moment here.

Thanos was a good adversary, His new and improved look was nice and for some reason I thought he was kind of reminiscent of Galactus. Other than his new size, there was also the offer he made the Avengers to spare their planet. Also as an interesting twist in the comics Galactus was the one who attacked (and destroyed) the New Korbin colony. I'm glad they didn't use Galactus, though since he's been pretty over-used in recent times.

The Avengers were handled pretty well. Tony's idea of starting that network to monitor threats from outer space seemed a smart move to me. The Korbinites asking them for help was a decent set-up for the story to actually start. I found it kind of odd they went with New Korbin but I was glad to see another alien race introduced to this animated universe. Black Widow and Ant-Man didn't get to do anything this time but the others did get some pretty great stuff. I admit Hawkeye got pretty annoying at times and none of his lines were that funny.

The way the Avengers inspired the Korbinites to stand up and fight against the Black Order themselves was handled pretty well. I thought the Black Order retreated a little too easily afterwards especially considering how good of a fight they managed to put up until then, even after the Avengers discovered they could use the planet's advantages to fight better. But this was still a pretty entertaining episode, with a decent story and some nice action scenes. Nice cliff-hanger ending, too. Looking forward to the grand finale.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Capt.Traphouse

Capt.Traphouse Sexiest Thing Since Sex

"We are Cull Obsidian, the Black Order and we are your doom." - Awesome.

Great episode, entrance was very Young Justice like as my boy @TheLemsterPju mentioned and the Black Order were very cool.

No one knowing who Hawkeye was never seems to stop being funny to me.

Where were the Guardians? They should be all over a genocidal warlord escaping prison and successfully destroying another planet.

#5 Capt.Traphouse, Sep 14, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
  6. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

I wouldn't have expected to see something like the disintegration of that prison guard on this show. That was pretty blatant.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

The opening scene was amazing, one of the best scenes in the whole show, easy.

While this was a mostly solid episode, I can't help but feel it went a bit downhill in the second half. The Avengers go from getting their butts kicked to winning in the span of a few minutes, which was a bit cheesy. And giant Thanos isn't quite as intimidating as Infinity Gauntlet Thanos.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

A part of me thinks that, since Will Freidle was one of the Korbinites, the Guardians might be making an appearance in the next part ;).
    Yeah, when was the last time anyone actually died in these cartoons :eek:?

I thought this was a really strong start to the final arc of the season, and definitely has me excited for the finale. Assemble's still not perfect, but it's come a long way from the quality of season one, as this episode serves as a testament too :).

I have to echo the opinions about how awesome the Black Order were here. They were really the coolest part of the whole episode, maybe even cooler than in their debut for Infinity. That intro with them at the beginning was one of the strongest sequences in Marvel Animation in a while. Not to mention we got, for once, a team that actually had two females on it with Proxima Midnight and Supergiant (the former I'm 100% sure was voiced by Kari Wahlgren, the latter I think Hynden Walch) who both had different abilities and personalities :cool:.

Definitely wish more time had been spent developing them, maybe mention Corvus and Proxima's relationship, and focusing on their fights with the Avengers, especially since the turnaround for the fight happened fairly quickly. I also think Ebony Maw got the short end of the stick compared to other members, since he was never shown to really contribute anything beyond his creepy voice, demeanor, and serving as a target for Thor's hammer. You would think they would've shown off his intellect more at least. I also feel we were robbed of a good Hulk and Black Dwarf fight :(.

Can't say I blame the Korbinites for not knowing who Hawkeye was. It's not like his attitude in this episode really helped his case or made him come out as memorable :p.

I thought the Avengers inspiring the Korbinites to stand up for themselves was nice, even if it did come at the expense of the Black Order's competency as threats. Though that one mother and son pair that kept appearing was kind of random o_O.

Widow and Ant-Man sat this one out, so hopefully that gets rectified in the next episode as The Avengers take the fight to Thanos and find out what happened to Earth. Is Thanos as impressive or cool as a giant compared to when he had the Infinity Gauntlet? I don't think so, but he can throw around Thor and Hulk while also destroying a planet so that's something at least. Here's hoping Assemble can finish strong :D

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, that was definitely Hynden Walch as Supergiant. Also David Kaye voiced Corvus Glaive and René Auberjonois was Ebony Maw. Here are the credits for the episode, sorry for the small size but it's not my fault Disney XD squeezes the credits so they can air more promos. :p

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    #9 RoyalRubble, Sep 14, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
  10. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Ah, okay, thanks. I was definitely curious who was voicing Ebony Maw, and glad I was right about Supergiant :).

11. TheLemsterPju

TheLemsterPju Well-Known Member

Those vocal effects they used for the Korbinites (to make them more alien?) sounded so familiar....almost like

THIS GUY:

[​IMG]

(Can't post the actual video due to the butt-spanking part, but if you watch it (I dare you if you haven't) you'll hear the resemblance.)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Dragnatek

Dragnatek Well-Known Member

Well Frontier Hyperion killed a couple Anlantians a couple episodes ago (or was that last episode) so the show seem to be allowed to show death now.

• Like Like x 1
    #12 Dragnatek, Sep 17, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
  13. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, but wasn't that still kinda off-screen? The guy was just vaporized completely...the camera never cut away :eek:.

• Like Like x 1
  14. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

I mean...Thanos still destroyed that civilized alien race's planet at the end. That shouldn't be chalked as a win. But oh well, I guess they evacuated the aliens instead.

15. ssj4jw

ssj4jw New Member

The one thing that stuck out was Thanos' laugh track. They repeated it like three times.