Marvel's Avengers Assemble "Avengers' Last Stand" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Jul 26, 2015.

?

Rate this Avengers Assemble episode

1. *****

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Check out a new episode of Marvel's Avengers Assemble today on Disney XD! Behold the brutal battle between the all-mighty awesome Avengers and the sinister Squadron Supreme super-villains!

[​IMG]
    Marvel's Avengers Assemble "Avengers' Last Stand"
    Episode Premiere Date - July 26th, 2015
    Directed by:
    Tim Eldred
    Written by: Eugene Son

The Avengers are challenged by the fully formed and incredibly powerful Squadron Supreme for a battle that will end with only one team as the victor.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

#1 RoyalRubble, Jul 26, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
  2. Magmaster12

Magmaster12 Well-Known Member

Fight scenes started off good but it got boring as they just waned constantly.

Also starting to really hate Falcon, his powers are incredibly useless so he now has to be an all knowing Gary-Stu.

Finally the Squad's motivation feels out of place, I can understand it but it doesn't with the tone. Maybe if this was AEMH where they touched on the idea of extremism but it isn't. It's almost as if they no idea how to this thing called build up and pay off, we had episodes devoted to minor bits of the SS plan but heaven forbid actual character development.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Capt.Traphouse

Capt.Traphouse Sexiest Thing Since Sex

Loved this episode:

Fights were awesome. Black Widow is Bae, she fought Zarda like a champ. Respect to Thor, fighting all of SS minus Nuke alone.

Nighthawk was on Batman status, his plan was brilliant. However, I do like Falcon's plan at the end of the episodes.

Nuke was godlike. Cocky, powerful jerk lol.

"Any plans for us Captain Falcon?" Best line ever. I hoped Falcon would reply "Show me ya moves".

Ant-Man fighting an ant he stepped on was hilarious.

Episode's ending was pretty dark. SS was smiling and stroking their egos will Thor was being beaten by Hyperion off screen. Earth becomes a totalitarian state in 3 seconds.

Loved Hulk's smile when he saw Hyperion flying back towards him. Hulk loves his job.
    True but they've been building Falcon up since Season 1 and he wasn't all knowing, he was thrust into leadership, had a few confidence issues and made mistakes.

The show is bad at build up but I feel they're getting better.

It finally makes sense why Zarda was fighting Crimson Dynamo in "Secret Avengers" and what she wanted the key for.

4. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon The Christmas Cretin

I kinda wished they'd played up Falcon studying the Squadron more before this episode. He's had a rivalry with Nighthawk from the start, but the show hasn't really done much with it since the villain's debut. I thought the fight scenes were pretty well thought out and entertaining, even if they weren't the greatest the series has to offer. I really liked the ending, though. That last shot of the shrunken heroes gathered on the forgotten Mjolnir to plan their next move was really cool.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. bigdaddy313

bigdaddy313 Well-Known Member

Not bad and it's written by Eugene Son, a small preview of next season's tone I guess.

But wait the Avengers are not the only heroes in town, what about the others I wonder?

Honestly the Hulk or Thor should not hold back when fighting Hyperion he needs a beating and if that makes the Hulk go mindless then by all means do it, I don't mind at all.

#5 bigdaddy313, Jul 26, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
  6. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon The Christmas Cretin

I expect a reaction from other heroes next episode. We should at least see how Fury and SHIELD feel about all this.

7. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

Wow, so did Falcon just pull off his own Bat Gambit?

Noticed that Zarda called herself Princess of Power. I hope She-Ra didn't hear that.

Great fights in this episode. Night Hawk has definitely been my favorite villain this season. Falcon was not able to anticipate all of Night Hawk's tricks, but he was able to fool them into thinking they were defeated, so that gives them an opportunity to ambush the Squadron.

Their should've been some sort of reaction shot to SHIELD or some other heroes seeing the Squadron's message. Perhaps Night Hawk sabotages the Tri-carrier and hacks it. He did hack Avengers Tower beforehand.

I hope we get more of the awesome Ant-Man/Hyperion rivalry next episode, where Ant-Man is like, "What?"

8. bigdaddy313

bigdaddy313 Well-Known Member

It's official Eugene Son loves Thor.

Have you guys realized Thor always get a big attention when ever he writes an episode especially in season 2?

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Capt.Traphouse

Nighthaw
    Season 1 was Iron Man, Season 2 is Thor. Hopefully I get my wish and Season 3 will be about Black Widow.

10. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

OK, how is it that Black Widow can hold off against Zarda? Even with Cap's shield, should Zarda punch Widow it could shatter every bone in her body!

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Pretty exciting episode, nice seeing both groups fight in an all out battle. I think the ending would have worked better if they didn't show the Avengers still alive, though

12. spyke

spyke Well-Known Member

It's called "bad writing for dumb kids".

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Old Old x 1
  13. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I liked this episode. The fight scenes were pretty good. Thor got some good moments. Black Widow's fight with Zarda was pretty cool - it didn't make much sense, but it was pretty cool. The others (minus Iron Man and Captain America) got some decent scenes as well. I like what they're doing with Ant-Man on this show, I doubt I'll actually enjoy the character as much as I did on Avengers: EMH, but I got to admit he's being handled better than I expected. His worst nightmare being an ant he accidentally stepped on was pretty amusing.

The depiction of the Squadron Supreme could have been handled better but it worked. Nighthawk's master plan was good but it got kind of annoying how he was always two steps ahead of everyone else. Similarly, Falcon's leadership abilities happened kind of sudden, it would have been nice if there was some more build-up to these events. But the story played out pretty well, and this episode was entertaining enough. Nuke was pretty cool but I wish they would have explained more about him. His design looked good and he seems powerful enough, so hopefully he'll provide some more good action scenes in the next episode.

The ending was kind of rushed - the Squadron Supreme too over the world (or at least New York) in a couple of seconds. The way the Avengers survived was pretty clever. It was obvious the heroes didn't die in the explosion but the big reveal they shrunk themselves was still handled rather well. All things considered, this was a pretty good episode and I'm looking forward to the conclusion of this story-arc. Should be fun.

14. NoOneInParticular

NoOneInParticular New Member

90% of nighthawks dialogue was a variant of "Just as planned". Im just going to start calling him aizen.

The ending also felt a bit strange, they just sort of won without much opposition. Im sure they will get some next episode, but one of the things that made EMH episodes so good was the use of shield and sword military action. Threats felt bigger because they where throwing everything they had at them. In AA they most of the time just let the avengers handle the situation, which I feel decreases the impact of the threat.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. TheLemsterPju

TheLemsterPju Well-Known Member

Ugh.

The writing isn't that bad, and it doesn't treat kids like idiots. I have my issues with it, but it's certainly not as 'stupid' as many make it out to be.

Now please stop saying that because you've said it at least a thousand times by now.

Anyways the episode was alright. Not much to say.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Magmaster12

Magmaster12 Well-Known Member

In terms of bad writing I think this show still falls into the middling range, it could be better but it could still be a lot stupider.

17. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought this was a pretty exciting and action-packed episode of Assemble and a good penultimate episode for the Squadron Supreme arc much as "Widow's Run" was for the Thanos arc. Here's hoping Assemble can finish this arc just as strongly :).

It feels about time for Falcon to get another focus episode, and fitting considering it was a Sam-focused episode that introduced Nighthawk and really kickstarted the Squadron Supreme arc this season. Seeing him thrust into a leadership role was cool, especially considering his current turn as Cap in the comics, and I thought the show conveyed his doubts and abilities as a leader fairly well ;).

Although I've always been more partial to "FalCap" then "Captain Falcon" myself :D.

It maybe would've made more sense had we seen Sam actually analyzing the Squadron and their tactics instead of having it just be told to us, but Assemble certainly isn't the master of developing sub-plots :rolleyes:.

Though now I can't help but think that we now have another member of The Avengers who seems more competent and adept at leading the team than Iron Man is. The only members who still seem not at all qualified for the position are Hulk and Hawkeye, and even then those two have been portrayed as more competent in other cartoons :p.

Speaking of underdeveloped sub-plots, this episode featured Nighthawk and the rest of the Squadron justifying their actions by showing how they are also motivated to fight crime but with far more extreme methods than The Avengers. I think there was an aspect of this touched on in Hyperion's debut episode way back in season one, but I think it got dropped in his later appearances and he and the Squadron have so far been shown to be targeting the Avengers for more generic evil reasons than out of an idealogical conflict (aside from the personal one Thor and Zarda have). Definitely something I think could have been better explored on the writers parts to give more strength to the conflict between The Avengers and The Squadron :(.

I thought the actions scenes were pretty good and suspenseful for the most part as The Avengers had to maneuver themselves out of the disadvantageous situation Nighthawk threw them in. Some clever moves and tactics from the team to take out their respective Squadron opponent, with some help from Falcon, were very cool to watch :cool:.

Though Widow managing to take on Zarda and adeptly using Cap's shield was a little hard to buy, but that seems par the course for Widow on this show, and has Zarda's weakness to electricity ever come up before? With that in mind, and Zarda's focus episode, you'd think pairing her up with Thor would've made more sense :confused:.

Was Phil LaMarr pulling double-duty as Nuke? Sounded like it at least o_O.

For a show that's not as continuity heavy as EMH, by intention, Assemble this season has so far done a fairly great job at using cliffhangers during the penultimate episode of an arc (excluding Ultron's at least). It's like having a two-parter without having a two-parter...

• Like Like x 1
  18. Capt.Traphouse

If Falcon beats Nighthawk with Falcon Punch, I think I'll cry tears of joy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. spyke

spyke Well-Known Member

First of all, I was specifically referring to stupid scenes that show Black Widow either holding her own against or taking down opponents with superhuman strength in either hand to hand combat or with blunt weapons like Cap's shield. Scenes like that are perfect examples of "bad writing for dumb kids".

Second of all, I think that the SS arc has overall been pretty good and well written. I just think that this episode was the weakest of the arc so far.

Finally, just because you disagree with,tired of hearing,or dislike a phrase I (or anyone else for that matter) repeatedly might use doesn't mean that I should stop using that particular phrase. Especially if said phrase is not an insult or offensive to our fellow forum users. I call it like I see it.

• Like Like x 2