1. Enter for a chance to win the Captain America Blaster Shield and two POP Vinyl figures from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." Season Five Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Marvel Live-Action Movies and Television' started by The Penguin, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Arrow might not get renewed? Where did you hear that?

2. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Thought. What if the General Hale we saw was a LMD planted by the Superior? Who knows how much further he's infiltrated government(s) in six months time. That Blue Raven Ridge place was a black site but something seemed really extra shady about that place.

I was being hypothetical. I have no clue. Just personally, I get less interested every new season I watch of it.

3. TheLemsterPju

TheLemsterPju Well-Known Member

I also think the Watchdogs are going to find Blizzard and Nadeen's brother underwater in their submarine. That's an easy way to tie up that lose end.

On the bright side, if Gotham doesn't get renewed by FOX, the CW could easily can Arrow and have Gotham take its spot on Thursdays nights. One has much more story left to tell than the other.

4. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Gotham is the worst live-action DC series of all time. If it gets canceled it needs to stay canceled. Arrow's current mediocrity does not excuse Gotham's unending trashiness and destroying of the Batman franchise.

5. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

99 (5x11) ALL THE COMFORTS OF HOME

RUBY

I'm really skeptical she's a human. I think she's an advanced LMD that Blue Raven cobbled together and considers Hale her mother. They think they could succeed where Radcliffe failed by creating a teenager instead of an adult... something boneheaded like that. The way that conversation was written in the cold open, being accompanied by robots, her ability to time throwing the disc at Elena, her 'mother' using her as an asset, her room revealed to be in a government base... it's fishy.

LIGHTHOUSE

Yes! I knew it had to be a black ops S.H.I.E.L.D. bunker and the team's next base in the present. Called it. That was a pretty dope way to introduce General Rick Stoner to the MCU and Patrick Warburton killed it. Cold War angle makes perfect sense. Fascinating that not even Fury knew about it. 'Electronic mail' and 'the 1980s got here a bit early' were hilarious. Loved how Stoner made Coulson get his nerd on and recall another piece of S.H.I.E.L.D. history, the 1972 Hydrogen Wave Crisis.

But oh dang. Not just the White Monolith, but two other Monoliths are stored in there. And who knows what else. Yikes.

Noah is an interesting add. Love how they all knew his next line because of Enoch. But I say his logic was a bit off -- not wanting to bail out Deke because it was interference, well uh, he's from the future so... OR saying everyone who knows of the Bunker's location was in there. So Enoch, Polly, Lance, and Robin are still in there, too? His mention of "An Asgardian spotted in the city" -- there's Elliot Randolph somewhere BUT we know Fitz was stuck in Blue Raven from May to November 2017 and Thor: Ragnarok was right around that time frame -- which we know Thor and Loki appeared in New York City in search of Odin. Not a stretch the college girls posted their photo on social media, allowing Noah to pick up on it. And we should expect a time skip pretty soon, like in past seasons, to 2018 in the lead-up to the end of the world. But Deke did watch the Running of the Bulls on the bar's TV, so they could already be in July 2018. Unless there's a lesser known one later in the year.

And the Lighthouse keeps getting a bit more cooler. Secret tunnels, underwater landing bay. Yes!

RIVER'S END

Glad they gave a team a moment to bask in the sun and fresh air. And Mack is noble about returning the VW Bus. Loved when they listed off how it could be worse - well played nod to past seasons and the first half of the season.

Was totally thinking Flint would come to the present, seeing that theory not pan out -- never thought it would be Deke to get taken to the present. The tree hugging and ice cream cone was hilarious then the bar. lmao. Zima. Great callback of him patting himself on the back for his Framework version and trying to pay with his Metric. Deke's Gummi Bears revelation was amusing.

ST. LOUIS

Well, I guess we know how Kasius' father learned about Earth. That beacon must have eventually reached him.

And we finally learn what Agent Piper was up to. Waiting and getting caught and cutting a deal. But she told Hale everything. So both Fitz and Piper told her stuff. Well, Piper. Hmm.

AUGH! Yo-Yo! I mean, we met her future self and it happens in the comics - but still so gut wrenching to see it happen so soon.

END TEASER

And Absorbing Man is back! So Hale is putting together a team. Dope. This will be get very interesting. Can't wait to see else she recruits.

#65 Yojimbo, Mar 3, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
  6. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Poor Elena. :(

Yeah, I'm also very interested in Hale's team. But frankly, I'm wondering if her whole team will be comprised of metahumans? I mean, even the SHIELD team only has two members with powers right now - unless Coulson is able to access his Rider powers again.

7. Rick Jones

Rick Jones fan-man
    Staff Member Moderator

Ruby being this big of a bad guy so far surprised me. Yo Yo losing her arms was pretty tough to watch. I was surprised that they would get rid of Deke how they did, so seeing him being brought back shouldn't be as surprising as it was. It was nice to see him get to enjoy the past for a little while . I keep thinking of Creel as being a decent guy but I forgot how ruthless he seemed during his first episodes. I've disliked Hale from the time she murdered Talbot's aide and she seems more despicable each time I see her.

Sent from my AT7-B using Tapatalk

8. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Marvel’s Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D. “All The Comforts Of Home”

I have basically spent every waking second since Age Of Ulron cursing Joss Whedon’s name, and disavowing the fact that I used to be the hugest Buffyverse fan ever. Read my posts from Toon Zone back in the day. I was in love. But since Ultron, Joss has been on my poop list. But... one thing I have made sure to do is give Agents Of SHIELD a fair shake. Joss has practically nothing to do with it, at least not anymore, so I should keep that in mind when I feel a bit disappointed.

Except, it’s not just Joss Whedon. It’s the entire Mutant Enemy studio. I finished watching this episode with an appalled look on my face, and I realized this garbage is classic Mutant Enemy. Joss Whedon, Marti Noxon, it doesn’t ultimately matter who is showrunner. The basic philosophy is to take a fun premise and in the fourth, fifth, or sixth season turn the show into unending misery, and make it completely impossible to enjoy. Fans grumble that Firefly was canceled too soon, but after seeing this, I am convinced that if it HAD turned into a long-running series, we would have wound up hating it unreservedly. And judging by the reported upcoming plot of Inara being gang-raped by Reavers, I know I would have personally wound up detesting Firefly if they had actually gotten the chance to do that. And it’s only because they were canceled they didn’t. That didn’t actually strike ultra feminist Joss Whedon as something even slightly over the line and unacceptable? I would more readily accept Joss as an ally for feminists if he weren’t routinely punishing women for the sin of having a sex drive. But it’s not just punishing women for their sexuality. It’s punishing them for being badass in the first place. And that’s not just Joss. It’s the nature of Mutant Enemy. Take anything slightly positive about a franchise, and make it completely suck. It infects that entire damn production company. If and when this show goes off the air, it’s pretty much “Good riddance,” for me. The only reason I’m still here are the loose MCU connections. If it weren’t already tied to a franchise I was invested in for other reasons, I would be gone by now.

Seriously. What good came from cutting off Yoyo’s arms? Just because it happened in the comics? I don’t care! Comics suck for repeatedly violently violating women! That doesn’t mean the show should! Truthfully, I actually liked the fact that she was Kasius’s oracle at first, because she struck me as the team member least suited for that. Every other member of the team has some tie to some vaguely epic sense of mythology, and Yoyo’s just the random chick who survived long enough to become a series regular. I liked the idea of her becoming the most epic SHIELD team member ever, because that has never been what she’s been about.

But I do not need to see a woman suffering from a horribly violent act on-screen. It hurts. It isn’t entertaining or interesting. It’s miserable, and makes the season feel even more hopeless than when they were in the future (which is a trick).

Patrick Warburton was wasted, but maybe that was the only way they could hire somebody goofy like that.

I guess I need to talk about the couple of positives this episode. There was a brief throwaway joke I loved: The idea that Enoch was supposedly “reckless”. What’s so hilarious is that the new robot guy says it as if it were patently obvious instead of utterly ridiculous. That was a great joke that deserved to be told in a better episode.

The second thing I loved was Deke’s reactions to being in the past. A tree is the most amazing thing in the world to him, and he is so excited to see an ice cream cone in the garbage, he is about to eat it before the writers remember he should be treated with a shred of dignity. He is an entirely different character than the skeezy hardass we knew. And it’s instantaneous. This is the first time in his entire life he’s been happy, and it was a rare joy of this episode to be able to witness and share that. It reminds me of the Farscape episode where John Crichton returned to Earth, and starting dreamily guzzling milk as if it were nectar from the Gods. What is ordinary for one person is amazing to one who has lived without it. And if there has ever been a better product placement for Zima, I haven’t seen it. I liked that the bartender seemed kinda of nice. He (rightly) called the cops, but he wasn’t a dick about it or anything. I wish this episode was entirely this.

Unforunately, it was more Coulson declaring he didn’t care about the fate of the world upon bringing Daisy back, only to have Yoyo disfigured by the end of the episode. Can you believe this? I am fed up with Phil Freaking Coulson. I would prefer if “The Glue” was actually killed off as Future-Yoyo suggested to prevent what is coming. He deserves it for not even bothering to care.

Screw Piper! It’s her own fault for being stupid enough to fall for Hale’s nonsense. Yoyo’s injury was as much her fault as it was Coulson’s.

This episode is what Mutant Enemy does. Create a likable show you enjoy following for the first couple of seasons, then turn the characters detestable and punish the ones who don’t completely suck. For supposedly being a writer who doesn’t give audiences what they want, but what they “need”, it’s surprising this is supposedly the Joss Whedon philosophy. Because Joss doesn’t know what I need, and never did. And he certainly never delivered it. I have defended this production company for years simply based on the fact that Buffy’s “Becoming, Part 2” was the most amazing hour of television I had ever seen up to that point, and somebody who made something that great OBVIOUSLY had to know what they were doing long-term. “Becoming” is still amazing, but I now think Joss Whedon is a hack, and has been coasting on that episode for his entire career. And I’m done pretending Mutant Enemy is anything but a dumpster fire garbage company investing in hurting its loyal fans and the people who have been following their shows over the years. And I’m done falling for it just because the characters talk cute and there is the occasional funny plot twist. It’s unending misery otherwise, and if it isn’t starting off, it eventually will be. I hated this episode and I can safely say I hate this series. Deek’s stuff was probably worth a single star, but I’m so angry, I’m not even giving the episode that. 0.

#68 Fone Bone, Mar 4, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
  9. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Just realized the Grey Monolith, the third one in basement storage, will probably take people to a parallel universe. Maybe it's there to tease a season 6 if it happens.

They started with Mike Peterson in season one and turned him into Deathlok. I think Elena will end up with cybernetic arms. It's already established to exist in the MCU, in the movies, in this show, on the Netflix shows; and it happens in the comics. Characters of both genders get disfigured routinely on this show. We knew it had to be coming since she met her Future self in the previous episode. Still, it's gruesome they showed that shot in the episode and makes us have conflicted feelings about Ruby.

This was the first episode Ruby appeared in.

#69 Yojimbo, Mar 4, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
  10. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Wait, so who was the little girl with the sparrow?

Review edited.

11. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

That would be Robin Hinton with the wooden robin her father Charlie carved for her. She's only 7 or 8 years old in the present timeline. Totally different character.

12. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

That automatically calms me down some. I still think the episode sucks. But I am no longer feeling rage towards it.

13. Magmaster12

Magmaster12 Well-Known Member

If the Squadron Supreme ever shows up it would be funny if those counterparts they used were only the ones from the Arrowverse, Whizzer, Golden Archer, Tom Thumb and Nuke.

14. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

New S.H.I.E.L.D. right now on ABC! Episode 100!!!

[​IMG]
    "The Real Deal"
    Friday, March 9, 2018 @ 9 p.m. ET/8 CT on ABC
    In the milestone 100th episode, Coulson finally reveals the mysterious deal he made with Ghost Rider, which will impact everyone on the team.

15. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

I mostly enjoyed this episode.

A lot of raw emotional stuff after Coulson did his big reveal to the team. They definately weren't happy with the news, understandably. Man, it'll be a gutsy move if the writers kill him off as the series finale...

Unfortunately, I feel some of the stuff with the "nightmares" was a bit rushed/anti-climatic (they all go down in one hit?) even though it was cool seeing Mike Peterson again.

But the wedding. Aww! I was starting to think it would never happen, and was the perfect capping point for the episode.

16. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Marvel's Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D. "The Real Deal"

My emotions seem to be going on a rollercoaster with this show. I hate it one week, I love it the next. This was a good week.

That idea that Deek is Fitzsimmons' grandson was excellent, and whenever Marvel finally puts the dang season out on Blu-Ray will make rewatching the season extremely satisfying.

For the record, Fake Mike Peterson's story in the lower decks to Coulson made no freaking sense. I mean, yeah, it explained most of what Coulson had experienced, but dreams are never that detailed, and don't hang together as well as Coulson's life obviously does. Mike says when something doesn't make sense, Coulson added a thing to explain it. Yeah. Of course he did. That is life in its entirety. It doesn't always make sense at first, until something gets later explained. So it ALSO doesn't make sense for this to be a dream. No human brain is that magnificent or detail-oriented. Not even Coulson's.

Loved Coulson's goodbye scenes with everyone. Coulson has been a surprisingly detestable character this season, and the episode sort of made me understand where that was coming from. His bringing Daisy back was entirely selfish. But he doesn't personally have anything to lose, which is why he is more reckless about the situation than he otherwise would be. I will call him selfish and weak for it. But selfishness and weakness are both normal human reactions. I identify with both feelings sometimes. So even if Coulson is a reckless, selfish jerk, I finally understand why he is.

Fitzsimmons' wedding was hardly great, but that's why I liked it. It was uneventful. The series allowed them that moment. Most genre refuses to do that. I'm just glad Nazis from another dimension didn't show up and start killing the guests. And I throw shade at the Arrowverse for making that an actual wedding snag.

Let the characters enjoy the nice moments. The show will be better for it. Always.

Great week. I honestly do not know what to think about this show anymore. My opinions about its value seems to vary depending on the very last episode I've seen. That's no way to run a franchise (especially after five seasons), but after the good episodes, it's still a nice feeling. ****1/2.

17. Rick Jones

Rick Jones fan-man
    Staff Member Moderator

I just expected the episode to be fan service with a greatest hits lineup of all the villains they've faced but I ended up liking it a lot for everything else. This also had to be the best I've seen Mike move in an action scene, I think.

18. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

100 (5x12) THE REAL DEAL

Yep, that was a pretty damn good 100th episode. Perfect way to end it with Fitz and Simmons' wedding and the revelation about Deke.

THE RIFT

Didn't see that coming but like Coulson points out, a new candidate for the cause of the world quaking apart. I was even more thrown it was a rift to a 'Fear Dimension'. That was a good hook to explore the history of the show. Deke's forest fear was amusing. Was wondering what the deal was with that until the elevator scene and it clicked it would be the venue.

Gravitonium was the solution. Another hint as to why the Future Zephyr and Lighthouse had tech with Gravitonium. And Fitz says they need a more powerful solve -- so a bigger supply. That HAS to be leading them into a conflict with Ian Quinn at long last. Right?!

ELENA AND MACK

I'm glad to see Elena is still resolute about staying and fighting instead of having a cliche breakdown-medical drama nonsense.

Simmons gets to shoot herself -- well a fear manifestation LMD version of her. I chuckled at that. And Mack smacking her... it.

COULSON

Called it Ghost Rider took away the GH-325 and his original death is being restored in a sense. But yeah, very enriching to see him come to terms with his impending re-death. Inventive way to look back on the 100 episodes. Though Future Elena warned Elena not to let them revive Coulson so they find something... but dooms the world. Hmm.

As a Ghostbusters fan, loved Coulson's Stay Puft Marshmallow Man reference. Totally caught off-guard to hear him quote Faith's "5x5" thing.

DAISY

Daisy mentioning she didn't have any special traditions for her birthday was a nice nod. For those that keep track, Daisy didn't know what her real birthday was until Calvin told her, I believe, in season 2.

Daisy rejecting Coulson's belief she should lead the next iteration of SHIELD makes sense considering her arc from season 3 to now has left her... damaged in her world view. Loved how she proclaimed there was no SHIELD, only to be proven wrong in that awesome reveal of agents on the run gathered in the Quinjet. Hope that moment galvanized her a little. But it was nice to have that moment when Daisy admits to Coulson she needs him.

Another nice touch was when she rejected any 'acceptable losses' and stated it wasn't HYDRA. And you notice, on the side, Fitz has an obvious reaction to that.

GENERAL HALE

Yeah, they laid it on thick Officer Kennedy smelled something fishy last episode. Good thing they thought of Deke calling in fake Daisy sightings but if he didn't get arrested... man, unseen consequences.

DEATHLOK

All I can us Yay!!! I think it was a perfect red herring. The producers knew J August appearing would be spoiled somehow. And yeah, it was by his guest star credit at the start of the episode but having him appear first as a fear manifestation was a good way to fake us out so when the real Deathlok appeared, that moment was still super cool, imo.

So good to see him in action with Coulson. Punctuated with an incredibly awkward moment between two men. lmao.

Appreciated Coulson explaining Deathlok is solo and helping agents on the run instead of just not saying anything and we never see him again.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Rick Jones

Rick Jones fan-man
    Staff Member Moderator

I was lost trying to figure out what was going to happen after they got off the elevator until the doors opened out to a dream-like picnic area. The wedding was pretty touching though I kept wondering if this union was actually legal. Coulson probably has his ways.

I'm guessing that Deke never met his grandparents. You'd think his mom might at least mention their names.

20. The Penguin

The Penguin All Hail the King!
    Staff Member Moderator

(Since I'm not asleep in my living room after a long week, I thought I might post this.) New S.H.I.E.L.D. tonight at 9 p.m. ET on ABC.

[​IMG]
    "Principia"
    Friday, March 16, 2018 @ 9 p.m. ET/8 CT on ABC
    In an attempt to save the world, the team searches for Gravitonium.