Marvel Animation at the San Diego Comic-Con 2018

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Jun 18, 2018.

1. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

We're roughly a month away from this year's big San Diego Comic-Con, so I figured I might as well start this thread now. No details have surafced yet, in regards to what Marvel might be highlighting or announcing this summer.

I presume a description for the Marvel Animation panel(s) will be released within the next couple of weeks, and this post will be updated with any necessary info, but until then, feel free to use this thread to discuss, add your hopes or predictions about what might be announced.

EDIT 6/26: Here's a list of Marvel Animation related panels featured this year at the San Diego Comic-Con. Work still in progress, will be updated on a regular basis as more info is available.

Marvel Animation: Marvel Rising
    When: Thursday July 19th, between 3:15 PM – 4:15 PM
    Where: Room 6DE
    Who: Chloe Bennet, Milana Vayntrub, Kathreen Khavari, Kamil McFadden, Cort Lane, Marsha Griffin, Sana Amanat and additional surprise guests
    What:First look of the animated shorts

Source: Marvel.com, SDCC Thursday Schedule,

Sony Pictures Panel - Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
    When: Friday July 20th, at 6:15 PM
    Where: Hall H
    Who:
    What:

Source: Deadline article, SDCC Friday Schedule

Big Hero 6: The Series Heroes Return
    When: Saturday July 21st, at 12:30 PM
    Where: Room 6A
    Who: Ryan Potter, Scott Adsit, Jamie Chung, Genesis Rodriguez, Khary Payton, Brooks Wheelan, Mark McCorkle, Bob Schooley and Nick Filippi
    What: Screening of never before seen footage

Source: Disney Channel PR Twitter, SDCC Saturday Schedule

Marvel Animation Presents
    When: Sunday July 22nd, between 1:30 PM – 2:30 PM
    Where: Room 6A
    Who:Cort Lane, Eric Radomski, Harrison Wilcox
    What:Never-before-seen information and sneak peeks

Source: Marvel.com, SDCC Sunday Schedule

X-Men: The Animated Series Celebrates 25 Years
    When: Sunday July 22nd, between 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM
    Where: Room 7AB
    Who: Eric Lewald, Larry Houston, Julia Lewald, Len Uhley
    What: Behind the scenes stories

Source: SDCC Sunday Schedule

• Like Like x 1
    #1 RoyalRubble, Jun 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  2. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Hopefully we get a lot more major and concrete news this year, either about current or future projects :).

I imagine they might go into a little more about the Black Vortex arc with Guardians, as well as Black Panther's Quest, and hopefully more exclusive information about Marvel Rising ;).

3. SweetShop209

SweetShop209 Well-Known Member

I hope we find out if Spider-Man will get a third season or not.

• Like Like x 1
  4. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

- This year SDCC falls in-between 2 Spider-Man episodes - "Dead Man's Party" and "Venom Returns". I suppose they might show clips (or the full episode) with Venom, or just tease the upcoming 2-part story "Bring on the Bad Guys".

- There should be more news about Marvel Rising. Back at WonderCon, they did tease more will be shown in Summer. Maybe they'll even screen one of the prequel shorts, if they are ready. Or at least announce a tentative premiere date.

- I think Avengers: Black Panther Quest has a better chance of being included in the panel than Guardians of the Galaxy, but at the same time, they might save Avengers for NYCC (in early October - kind of lines up with their plans of premiering the new Season this Fall).

- I doubt any actual new projects will be announced. At most, maybe another LEGO Special or animated movie (but it seems unlikely considering Marvel Rising). And there's still enough stuff from the current Seasons of the shows to be promoted, so I don't see them announcing if the shows will get new Seasons, either. Maybe during the Q&A, but they might not want to give out any "spoilers" either way.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

We might get some details about how they're going to handle adapting Superior, though I wouldn't be surprised if they don't mention it...
    Maybe we'll finally have a trailer ;)?
    They showed some footage last time, so I would imagine it'll probably be addressed, though maybe not as much until we get closer to the premier :).
    I'm curious if they might try to do anything to tie-in with the Ant-Man and The Wasp movie, although if Marvel Animation is really in "hibernation," I'm not sure how likely that is :sweat:.

• Like Like x 1
  6. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Remember, this is the Marvel Animation forum and we're speculating about the Marvel Animation panel. I don't know of any rumors about the Netflix shows ending, but regardless there's another thread where you can discuss them.

• Like Like x 1
  7. brodie999

brodie999 Active Member

Sorry, I deleted my comment. I'll post my comments on the other thread you send me. I've made my own Marvel Television panel at San Diego Comic Con post. Please feel free to post comments on there and voice your options.

• Like Like x 1
    #7 brodie999, Jun 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  8. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

June 25th:
    Still no official word on the Marvel Animation panel this year, but here are some sort of related news (again, no official dates yet).

- More news about Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse might be featured in one of Sony's panels.

- Jamie Chung mentioned she'll be on the Disney Animation panel for Big Hero 6: The Series. I know that's more Disney than Marvel nowadays but since the Talkbacks are featured on this board I thought it was worth mentioning here.

June 28th:
    They announced the Animation panels today.

THURSDAY, JULY 19TH

SUNDAY, JULY 22ND

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Cool that they're giving Marvel Rising it's own exclusive panel. Seems to emphasize it as being a big deal for Marvel, and hopefully we'll get a lot more information out of this compared to the last Marvel Animation panel :).

It seems like they'll be showing the shorts, or at least brief glimpses of them, and I wouldn't be surprised if the other "surprises" are premiere dates for the shorts and movies ;).
    This description is pretty vague, which could mean that either the panel will have a lot of surprises or have as little new information as the last Marvel Animation panel :sweat:.

"You’ll also have a chance to meet the stars of your favorite Marvel Animation series." I wonder who that will include? Usually when it comes to VA's they only seem to be able to consistently get the Guardians cast, although Robbie Daymond did turn up once...

10. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I see Marvel only listed 2 signing events for their animated projects.

So it looks like Avengers might be the focus of their Animation panel. Though I imagine Spider-Man will be featured as well.

EDIT: Mairghread Scott confirmed she'll be at the Marvel Rising panel.

11. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Hmm...I'm guessing that means it's likely they'll have James C. Mathis III and possibly Daisy Lightfoot at the panel and at the signing event :).

12. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

There will be another 25th Anniversary panel for X-Men: TAS on Sunday July 22nd between 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM. There was another one earlier this year at WonderCon.

13. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Probably the biggest animated X-Men news we've gotten in a long while...and it also involves the 90's cartoon :p.