Making Your Own Cartoon/Anime

• We have upgraded to Xenforo 2. We've decided to open the forums back up while we configure the theme and plugins. Thanks for your patience.

Latest News

Red Arrow :D

Proud Beneluxer
Oct 22, 2012
Ratings
3,381 66 1
Belgium
A cop show with beetles. Not the cars, no, the insects. Beetle cops.

There are more species of beetles than of plants on this planet. Enough variety for all kinds of characters. Unfortunately, I don't really know how to anthropomorphize beetles. Luckily my crew knows that :D They should walk on two legs, I suppose. (the beetles, not my crew, my crew need a chair to sit on) They can also fly like normal beetles. Perhaps not all of them.

Their city is filled with lots of green and brown, so no Klasky-Csupo style like you would expect from a 2D insect cartoon. There is moss everywhere. (Isn't moss amazing?) It takes place partially above the ground and partially below the surface. I wouldn't make it too serious and also not a parody like Fillmore. Its tone would be more like Gravity Falls, I guess? Serious but with humor. The protagonists are two man and a woman. I like groups like that. Three protagonists give more dynamics than two, but four seems like too much. One of them needs a mustache, or perhaps their boss? Their boss isn't angry all the time. That is a stupid trope, what's wrong with a friendly chief? There can be better conflicts than that. (like a corruptive mayor) The city would look rather clean (clean enough) thanks to dung beetles. They are portrayed as garbage men. The beetles eat at home like humans do, or in restaurants. They eat plants, tree bark, larvae, eggs, aphids (why is there no easy word for this in English?), nectar, seeds etc. It wouldn't look too disgusting. Compare it with Timon and Pumbaa. Perhaps they could have tinier insects as pet... "Don't forget to walk the ..., sweety!"

Like Pokémon, there is a "Do you know which beetle this is?" in the middle of each episode, with a picture of how the beetle really looks like as well as an animated version. That beetle will then be the villain in one of the next episodes, or just a recurring character or whatever. Overall I wouldn't make it too educational. (A bit like Steven Universe or Grossology)

Villains! Yesyesyes, I would make super cool villains. There definitely needs to be a villain that feeds itself on anxiety of others. (another trope I love) Also an evil businessman, several sympathetic villains (à la Mr. Freeze), bank robbers with stolen experimental (dangerous) technology, mobsters, corruptive mayors etc. The villains can have superpowers that somewhat resemble what real beetles can do. Others can just have cool gadgets. Perhaps someone with freezing technology. (like an Alaska beetle or whatever) They don't freeze themselves.

Also: parasites! There are hairworms that parasitize beetles and control their minds. That just screams for an episode, doesn't it? The victims drown themselves once infected. There can be plenty of other parasites that all do different things.

Some beetles eat other beetles... Maybe that's too cruel? It would make a great villain, though :sweat:

Also: ANTS! Freakin' communistic ants. They don't live in Beetle Town but they appear from time to time. They don't speak English like the beetles do. They just make weird noises. The beetles find them odd and don't trust them. The ants are very organized and look a lot less like humans, however, they are never portrayed as villains. They put leaves in the ground and created fungus like farmers create vegetables. (Ants really do that) The beetles try to avoid contact with the ants as much as possible, but throughout the series the two societies get closer. In season 2 or so, the cops befriend an ant who has learnt English. They sometimes need to work together with the ants to fight a common threat.

(By the way, the beetles write in English but with Egyptian hieroglyphs here and there. Beetles are a big part of Egyptian mythology, if I remember correctly…)

I also want to involve beetles and dragonflies but I can't think of something :sweat:

Perhaps sometimes a frog could appear in town. A bit like a Godzilla episode :D However, the beetles have some kind of efficient system to deal with frogs. I don't know what yet. I just don't want the entire series to be about how evil frogs are.

No humans. That wouldn’t make sense.

If anyone has got a good title for the show… :D

Last edited:

Dudley

Staff member
Aug 10, 2003
Ratings
2,529 28
East Coast of USA
www.dtoons.com
I have several, but one off the top of my head is
Busy as Bea, about a teen girl who's always busy juggling multiple jobs and projects, like babysitting people's pets, fighting alien monsters in her giant mech suit, or uncovering stolen gold from Atlantean pirates. She doesn't have time to date anyone, and anyone who tries has to have their dates sidetracked by her many exploits.
If I had time to make more content for my Youtube channel, it'll be something I'd like to make.

Rhaynebow

Aug 11, 2013
Ratings
343 1
New York
Toon ideas are all I think about, but if I had to pick the most low concept and easiest to sum up...

Remi from the Levee: It’s about a young crocodile named Remi who moves to the big city (juggling between NYC and Miami) to become a star and prove to humans that just because she is cold blooded, she’s not cold hearted!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neo Yi

"All business, no pleasure, such a shame."
Staff member
Reporter
Sep 11, 2004
Ratings
448 2
here
thedandyrobot.com
An epic story-driven Adventure/Diesel punk set in a fantasy world reminiscent of the Guilded Ages starring a suave, debonair sky pirate and his crew as they get into a field of shenanigans ranging from chaotic crimes to hilarious heists, and maybe the occasional saving the world while they're at it.

The other I'd consider is a one shot about a couple of teenagers in 1960s Korean based on stories from my parents' youth.

Jul 24, 2016
Ratings
395 1
I have a few I'm working on

Further Adventures of the Princess & the Frog: A ditzy princess, Arianna, and a deadpan monotone frog, Toad, live together in a demarchy (a democracy and monarchy). Toad secretly despises and plots to kill Arianna but she's too oblivious and Toad is too small. But when it comes to the world, they're always together.

LJ's World: LJ, a human teen, Kathy, a ghost in a human body and Nick an alien in disguise, host their own late night TV show. Together they deal with crazed fans and network executives. Nick secretly hates his current situation and frequently tries to get the show cancelled while keeping a low profile.

The Fuzzly's: Two alien creatures dubbed "Fuzzly's" are banished from their home planet for their rude and violent behavior, so they go to a place with other rude and violent creatures...HUMANS! While on earth they frequently annoy and humans by smoking, robbing banks, and messing with the elderly. While on Earth, they also learn more about human culture.

The King of Snow: Kind of a drama miniseries. The King of Snow was the king of the Snow Village for 20 years, but was later overthrown and put into isolation after being deemed "too insane". Following that, for the next 10 years the Snow Village gets put into more and more danger from a storm. The villagers plot to kill The King of Snow and put an end to the storm once and for all.

Mr.O

Sep 21, 2016
Ratings
272 1
I have waaay to many ideas to go over all of them, but since you mentioned "cartoon/anime" there is one particular idea that comes to mind.

I would really like to see a thorough affectionate anime parody. Sort of like Avatar TLA meets OK K.O (if that makes any since). A cartoon that wears its anime influence more openly aesthetic wise, but it knows 100% that it is a western cartoon. It would mostly be a parody-esque comedy, but it will have moments where it takes itself pretty seriously. It would have a few genuinely touching scenes and fairly frequent straight forward action scenes. The art style/animation would be fairly loose typically, but during the aforementioned heavier scenes (both sad and action), the animation tightens up quite a bit. There would also be an anime-esque opening. It would be 30-45 seconds with animation that is of a higher quality than the actual cartoon. This opening would take itself pretty seriously while being parodying the very concept of anime ops at the same time.

As for the actual story for such a show, I have several ideas.

1: A coming of age super hero cartoon.

This one would be based in a world where superheroes exist, but superpowers are pretty rare. Superheroes and villains are pretty common here. The setting is midsized city, that is fairly peaceful and out of the way. Crime exists in this city but not to the point where an actual costumed hero is needed. It does, however neighbor a typical hero/villain infested metropolis.

Pilot: Our main character is an average boy who becomes the hero of his neighborhood. He dons a make shift costume to save his best friend from a bully or something, with the intent of this being a onetime thing. But his super alter ego becomes a viral local sensation, and this gets to his head. It doesn’t take long for him to willingly go into full time superheroing for the thrill and the popularity it brings. He finds out the hard way that the hero life is not all fun and games eventually, but by then it is too late to pull out, as he now forced to bare a since of responsibility for the safety of his neighborhood.

The rest of the series follows the young MC as he grows into a better superhero and person. He starts of as the protector of his neighborhood, but as the show progresses his territory eventually spreads out into the entire city. His enemies will also progress from common neighborhood criminals to actual villains. Eventually, villains began to trickle in from the nearby action packed metropolis, with the hope of squashing this up and coming, rookie, superhero. The only people who know his identity are his best friend (who knew who he was from the beginning) and his grandmother. She discovers his secret identity early in the series and reveals that she was once a famous superhero herself back in the day. She also plays the role of his mentor.

2: A mecha type show

This is a world where robots and mechs are common, though mostly used for utilitarian purposes rather than fighting. For example forklift mechs, tree cutting mechs or garbage truck mechs etc… If it requires a big machine, there is probably a mech for it. Earth gets embroiled in an intergalactic war when two warring alien empires decide to claim Earth as a base of operations. Our planet prepares for war as both empires begin to send fleets to conquer it for themselves.

Pilot: The series starts a few years into the invasion, when a lone battleship attempts to seize a midsize, unsuspecting city of Starfield. As the alien ship prepares to conquer this small city without a fight, an alien ship from the rival empire attacks it. A chaotic battle ensues.

The first main character we meet is a loner teenage girl. Her mom died in the war against the two alien empires about a year prior, and this has greatly affected her. As her high school evacuates during the alien attack, she decides that she rather die fighting than run away. She then breaks away from the crowd and commandeer a towering, 120 feet tall, crane mech that was abandoned in a construction site due to the invasion.

As she starts the crane, with a vague and rudimentary understanding of how to operate a giant mech, she is shocked to find five other random students followed her with the same intention of fighting back. This is fortunate due to the fact that such large crane mechs need four people to operate. They clumsily enter the fray between the two alien vessels only to be quickly dispatched by one of the battling ships. All of the kids are rendered unconscious. As the two ships continue their conflict one finally delivers a finishing blow to the other. The loosing alien ship, in its final moments shoot the disabled crane with a strange blue energy before blowing up. This energy awakens the six kids, as it courses through the machine. They then find that the crane has acquired a boost in speed, strength, and coordination, and make quick work of the remaining aliens.

After their victory, the six kids become the self-appointed guardians of the city since the worlds armies are stretched too thin to provide adequate protection for it. But they will eventually learn that there is more to the strange energy that courses through their crane mech, and by extension them, then it seems.

The rest of the first season would consist of them defending their city from waves of aliens armadas, alien monsters, and alien giant mechs. They will gradually garner more attention from the rivaling alien empires, which would bring even greater threats. We will also learn each of the five other kids reasons for joining the first girl in the mech.

Apologies for the long, long rambling post. I just have a lot to say about this. And I didn’t even mention the webcomic I’m working on.

Last edited:

Troy Troodon

Jan 16, 2014
Ratings
1,631 8
I've already expressed before that I want an animated show with more accurate or up to date depictions of dinosaurs and other extinct animals; and I think one direction to take that would be a sort of time traveling equivalent to The Wild Thornberries, with this group of people documenting prehistoric wildlife through different times and locations; or even in some unknown island.

Mr.O

Sep 21, 2016
Ratings
272 1
I've already expressed before that I want an animated show with more accurate or up to date depictions of dinosaurs and other extinct animals; and I think one direction to take that would be a sort of time traveling equivalent to The Wild Thornberries, with this group of people documenting prehistoric wildlife through different times and locations; or even in some unknown island.
I might be out of the loop, but what are the more update depictions of of dinosaurs like?

LinusFan303

A fan of Charlie Brown and Linus
Mar 26, 2018
Ratings
741 5
Colorado
There aren't really a lot of cartoons about baseball. I would make a cartoon about a baseball team they aren't the best team, they aren't Charlie Brown's team. But like CB's team they would be a mixture of boys and girls.
Episodes would center around the team practicing for a game , playing a game, after a game, what they do if it's canceled for weather and etc. It would mostly be a grounded series so no magic, fantastical elements or anything like that. It would be a slice of life, and comedy.

Mr.O

Sep 21, 2016
Ratings
272 1
5f02f484dcad198b2d8aa09fd59b7f11.png ?format=1000w.png c2NpZW5jZS5jb20vaW1hZ2VzL2kvMDAwLzAwMi84MDEvb3JpZ2luYWwvMDkwMTA3LXB0ZXJvc2F1ci1zaXplLTAyLmpwZw==.jpg
25398266_1413955318732141_8143801726778290698_o.jpg
walking_with_dinosaurs__diplodocus_by_trefrex-da1zpnm.jpg

Oh, and pterosaurs are not dinosaurs BTW; (although they are very closely related) nor are they called "pterodactyls."
Wow! The Ornithopods really stand out to me because the iguanadon used to be my favorite dinosaur as a kid. They look a lot blobbier than I remember. Would your show be more education first, or just like the Wild Thornberries, as you said.

Troy Troodon

Jan 16, 2014
Ratings
1,631 8
Wow! The Ornithopods really stand out to me because the iguanadon used to be my favorite dinosaur as a kid. They look a lot blobbier than I remember. Would your show be more education first, or just like the Wild Thornberries, as you said.
I intend for it to be educational, to break common misconceptions associated with paleofauna as their portrayed in non-documentary based media like "feathers aren't scary" or "dinosaurs were cold-blooded" or calling certain creatures "pterodactyls" or "saber-toothed tigers," as well as utilize dinosaurs and pterosaurs that aren't quite as famous as T.Rex or Pteranodon like Cosmoceratops, Quetzalcoatlus, or the recently discovered Dakotaraptor; as well as other creatures like the Permian synapsids, or the majority of Cenozoic animals like the Amphicyonids or the Gomphotheres, but it would still be fun and action packed.

PapaGreg

Drinking my sorrows
Nov 1, 2013
Ratings
1,328 7
I always wanted to make a sort of antithesis to teen shows (Kim Possible, Trollhunters, Danny Phantom, Jake Long, etc). It follows 3 people(1 more will be added) who police their dimension from outsiders and while they do have powers they only activate if a threat is dangerous enough. It follows a Fighter, Hunter and Soldier, the fighter and hunter are teenagers from lower class(not too poor but they don't have a lot) and they join's soldier force not because for the call of adventure or honor but because of money. Another thing is that while Fighter is sort of a Martial Arts prodigy he doesn't do any flips or fancy parkour tricks and his style follows to the "boring but practical" territory. Hunter is sort of the tracker/archer/trapper of the group and the smartest of the group but he can't fight worth a dime. Soldier is the oldest but not that much older than them being 12 years their senior. The thing with this series is that they don't police or stop evil villains but sometimes they even fight heroes and that will bite them in the butt during the later seasons

I wanna call it "Not a hero"

Red Arrow :D

Proud Beneluxer
Oct 22, 2012
Ratings
3,381 66 1
Belgium
Another thing is that while Fighter is sort of a Martial Arts prodigy he doesn't do any flips or fancy parkour tricks and his style follows to the "boring but practical" territory.
That sentence made me laugh.
The thing with this series is that they don't police or stop evil villains but sometimes they even fight heroes and that will bite them in the butt during the later seasons
Who decides what missions they go on? The soldier, I take it? Have you figured out why the soldier would be against heroes? Is he kind of like those cops that go like "heroes are illegal! only we do justice"?

Your show sounds really fun :)
or calling certain creatures "pterodactyls" or "saber-toothed tigers,"
Calling a cat-like creature a tiger isn't that far streched, I'd say. The same happens with other animals. (examples) (another English example is inkfish, "fish" used to mean "sea creatures" but scientists changed its meaning)

In Dutch, a leopard is called a "lazy horse" (luipaard) and everyone is just fine with that.

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Mar 11, 2005
Ratings
1,468 8
California, USA
adultswim.toonzone.net
I've always found myself fascinated with stories with villain protagonists. However, there's one trait I noticed with these types of stories...they always lose in the end.
So let's flip the switch and see what happens when the villain wins.

My series starts with a simple setup: Our mad genius of a protagonist stages a fake war for whatever reason, then successfully rules the world. Now let's see the aftermath of that outcome.

Twenty years have passed. This world's overlord has gotten married and had kids in that intervening time, and the world begins to crumble. It turns out that maintaining a world order is harder than it looks. The economical system that Big Brother had set into place has grown imbalanced. Natural disasters begin disrupting the trade routes which had been stable for so long. Peasant and underground revolts are building up. Even the protagonist's own children are growing mad with their high status as relatives to this world's ruler, so they begin taking steps to usurp the throne, whether subtly or aggressively.

The series would be broken up into arcs and the protagonist would have to deal with a different threat for each arc. I'm still trying to think of a title. (Overlord is already taken.)

Jul 28, 2018
Ratings
15 2
Chamblee
Moonlight Sunshine: The Story is about three girls named Lisa, Lulu, and Lina. Lisa is the energetic ditz who loves Ice Cream and Strawberries. Lulu is calm and shy but is scared of rabbits. Lina is the bossiest and wants to get everything done.During the summer, Lisa is about to be late to Summer Camp, her friends were already there and she has 8 minutes left but she made it. While going hiking they found three sticks that sparkles and wondering why so they kept them for luck. That night Lisa, Lulu, and Lina wished on the sticks that they can have a interesting life. The next morning, the three girls were surprised that the sticks were turned into wands. They were greeted by three fairies: Parilu, Larilu, and Tarilu. They are now granted magic powers and now have to face the toughest of villains, save the fairy kingdom, and restore peace to the world.

It's a magical girl anime and will be like Sailor Moon and Doremi with a twist