"Lucifer" Season Three Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Live-Action Movies and Television' started by The Penguin, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Lucifer "'Til Death Do Us Part"

This is the Lucifer I signed up for at the beginning of season one! The guy who walks into a club and kicks everyone's ass without breaking a sweat. Who gets a major drug dealer to confess ALL of his crimes in exchange for a top secret drug recipe upon his release from prison. The guy who hilariously tells the murderer about her husband: "Oh for God's sake, he wasn't having an affair with her, she was his drug-dealer!" I take no solace in the idea that they reconciled. Because couples sent to separate prisons are not afforded conjugal visits.

Speaking of Lucifer being amazing at his job, he was REALLY smart to listen to Maze's specific advice. It was genius. And I think it's the key. Pierce is a bit disgusted at the therapy routine. But this is a guy who says he has tried everything. So try EVERYTHING, dude! And it is not lost on me that he always looks most pained and uncomfortable when dealing with other people's feelings. I think Lucifer found his Kryptonite. It's his refusal to get attached to other people. I don't know how that will work, but that's got to be it.

Speaking of Maze, she's insane. It wasn't funny or hot, it was embarrassing for everyone involved. Were I Dan, I'd never speak to her again. Maybe she shouldn't be pining for Amenadiel. The specific hot mess she was acting like tells me she and Linda would probably make the better match.

Speaking of gay couples, Pierce sucks at undercover. Yes, Lucifer is bisexual so he kisses him when it is appropriate to do so, and isn't weirded out like Pierce. But if that were Pierce's biggest problem in the episode, it wouldn't be too much of a problem. But at the dinner he seems to be secretly seething, and undercutting the friendly and inviting gay neighbor atmosphere Lucifer is spending all of this time cultivating. I don't think he's doing it precisely because he doesn't want to share. He could make something up if that were true. I think he's just bad at UC work. Which considering that was his last position in the department, that is somewhat alarming.

My biggest regret in this episode is that I am positive Lucifer being this useful and kickass is just a one-off, and the writers will go back to making him the series' idiot next week. But I'll take it whenever I can get it. ****1/2.

2. Road to Gotham

Road to Gotham Well-Known Member

I too found the last episode to be a good one.
    Lucifer and Cain doing undercover work was funny.

The Folks at CBR think Welling is doing his best work on LUCIFER.
    Not sure I agree but it has been mostly entertaining.

https://www.cbr.com/tom-welling-lucifer-tv-smallville/

3. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Welling was very underrated on Smallville. It's not like the writers there gave him a ton of chances to stretch, but whenever he did, he knocked it out of the park. He was absolutely amazing in the episode where he and Lionel switched bodies. Everybody always talks up Michael Rosenbaum as Lex, but Welling was putting in solid performances, week in and week out for ten entire seasons, and not quite getting his due for it. Lex was the flashier role. Clark was the thankless one.

4. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Lucifer "My Brother's Keeper"

I had some objections to that watching it, but they were mostly addressed by the end of the episode.

Objection the First:

I objected to Linda turning away Charlotte at her office. But the episode wisely pointed at that Lucifer's mother tried to kill her. But essentially the real reason I objected to her being turned away is because, professionally speaking, Linda is the only person who CAN help Charlotte Richards. She is the only human on Earth who knows she isn't crazy. That is why Lucifer sent her to her.

Resolution Verdict:

Resolved. Linda decides to go to Charlotte, and offer her the help she needs. Probably because she realized what I just said was true.

Objection The Second:

Lucifer notes that Ella's brother would be in jail if any other cop than Chloe had handled the case. I objected to that idea because that is not a good thing. There should not be two sets of rules for people related to cops.

Resolution Verdict:

Resolved. Lucifer thinks the same as me, and caught the brother in the act, of stealing diamonds and was right all along. Some people might think that Lucifer letting him go is exactly the problem with the police department, but the thing is, Lucifer is the actual Devil. The brother is not off the hook. If anything, he's in even more trouble than if he had been sent to prison for a murder he didn't commit. Murder jail terms last decades. Hell is forever.

Objection The Third:

Pierce threatens Amenadiels' life, and when he doesn't budge, points a gun at an innocent stranger. Finally, he unloads the gun into the air in a crowded room, but the police are never called, and he never has to answer for that.

Resolution Verdict:

Unresolved. What I disliked about this not being resolved is that is very easily could have been. Amenadiel warns Lucifer that Pierce is dangerous, but Lucifer says, "That's the point of teaming up with him." But if Lucifer knew the specific things that Cain did, like threatening to kill his brother, and then threatening the life of an innocent person, I doubt Luci would still Team Cain. Lucifer is not only helping Pierce because he wants to anger his father. That is the excuse. But in reality, part of him likes and sympathizes with him. That might change if he learned Pierce threatened to murder an innocent person because he didn't get his way.

Other things of note:

Speaking of innocence, Lucifer describes Charlotte Richards as "innocent woman". That is thought provoking to me, because she DID wind up in Hell. Lucifer has stated that people only go to Hell if they personally believe they deserve it deep down. Him calling Charlotte innocent suggests he knows and believes many people in Hell don't actually belong there.

The dumbest thing in the episode was Lucifer talking about brothers who refuse to help you murder someone. How is it that Lucifer can say something like that in a roomful of cops and everybody just instantly drops it without further questions? That is one of the things I hate about the show, and one of the flaws built into the conceit of the show. People are dumber than they need to be, because if they weren't, they'd believe Lucifer, and the show would be over. I understand this perfectly well, and get the rationale here. That doesn't mean I have to like it.

For the record, Pierce was insightful to point out that Amenadiel tried to kill Lucifer. Lucifer has never done that to Amenadiel, which is another thing that states Lucifer is a more virtuous person than his brother.

Above average episode. ***1/2.

5. Otaku-sempai

Otaku-sempai Well-Known Member

Okay, you know that it's not as simple as: You sin, you go to Hell. There is the opportunity for confession, penance and forgiveness. Granted, repentance is supposed to be sincere with a real effort to not repeat the sin.

And if innocent souls can end up in Hell because they believe that they deserve it, can guilty souls go to Heaven because they believe that their sin was justified?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

According to the rules set up, yes. Which tells me the Universe is badly designed, and Lucifer is correct to be as pissed off at his father as he is.

7. TheLemsterPju

TheLemsterPju Well-Known Member

Am I the only one who finds Maze and Trixie especially annoying?

• Like Like x 1