Looney Tunes Collections

• We have upgraded to Xenforo 2. We've decided to open the forums back up while we configure the theme and plugins. Thanks for your patience.

Latest News

Jul 29, 2018
US
So I’ve been trying to research all the differneces between the various Looney Tunes collections. I have a friend of mine who has digitized his whole DVD library and has offered to give me his old Golden Collections for free. Now I realize those are the most comprehensive (but far from complete) of the sets...but what am I missing out from not getting the Superstar or Platinum sets? Is there any way to get the most cartoons with the least amount of double dipping? Is there a list out there of which cartoons are on the platinum or superstars that aren’t on the Goldens? How does the visual quality of the Golden’s compare?

Mar 29, 2018
Ratings
Lancashire, England
www.tumblr.com
Being a massive Looney Tunes buff, I've looked into this quite heavily. All together, the Golden Collections on DVD have over 350 LT/MM shorts (which makes approx 35% of the 1000 that WB produced from 1930 to 1969), so I'd say those are pretty complete as far as having a definite collection goes. However, most of the Superstar Collections (save for Tweety & Sylvester: Feline Fwenzy and Bugs Bunny: Wascally Wabbit) contain shorts unreleased previously, though the earlier Bugs and Daffy compilations only have the shorts matted to widescreen (later releases have both fullscreen and widescreen as an option).

As for the Platinum Collections, they more or less seem like a way to include the shorts in 1080p. Most of the shorts on there have been previously released, though there are a few exceptions on each volume. All together, the Platinum Collections include about 150 shorts. I've had my eyes set on these the most, but they lack a UK release so an import may have to do (which normally isn't as affordable as I'd like it to be).

These links should come in useful.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Looney_Tunes_Golden_Collection
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Looney_Tunes_Super_Stars
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Looney_Tunes_Platinum_Collection

Jul 29, 2018
US
So if I were to get those Goldens then a better supplement would be the Superstars, as they’re relatively cheap and contain non-double dipped shorts? Is that right? I don’t feel like paying around $60 for all 3 Platinums if I’m only getting like a total of 10-15 “new” shorts...

Mar 29, 2018
Ratings
Lancashire, England
www.tumblr.com
So if I were to get those Goldens then a better supplement would be the Superstars, as they’re relatively cheap and contain non-double dipped shorts? Is that right? I don’t feel like paying around $60 for all 3 Platinums if I’m only getting like a total of 10-15 “new” shorts...
Pretty much. Like I said, Platinum Collections mostly contain shorts from previously released sets. The difference is they're the only way to get LT shorts on Blu-ray (though DVD releases also exist).