"Lobo" Live-Action Film Pre-Release Discussion (Spoilers)

• We have upgraded to Xenforo 2. We've decided to open the forums back up while we configure the theme and plugins. Thanks for your patience.

Latest News

Ahsoka

Jan 7, 2002
Ratings
From Variety:
Warner Bros. Pictures has set Guy Ritchie to direct Lobo, a live action adaptation of the DC Comics title about an alien interstellar bounty hunter, reports Variety.

Don Payne wrote the most recent script draft, and Joel Silver, Akiva Goldsman and Andrew Rona will produce. The film is a co-production between Silver Pictures and Weed Road.

In the film, says the trade, Lobo will be a seven-foot tall, blue-skinned, indestructible and heavily muscled anti-hero who drives a pimped out motorcycle, and lands on Earth in search of four fugitives who are bent on wreaking havoc. Lobo teams with a small town teenaged girl to stop the creatures.

Production on Lobo begins early next year. The studio is aiming for a PG-13 rating.
http://weblogs.variety.com/bfdealmemo/2009/09/ritchie-locked-for-lobo.html

Thoughts?

Shawn Hopkins

TZ Member of the Year 2013
Mar 13, 2002
Winner's Circle
I don't think live action is the way to go. Reality can't capture the intensity of Lobo. It would be better animated or CGI.

Also, Lobo is not blue, he's chalk white. And teaming with a small-town teenage girl to stop four alien fugitives is the exact plot from a Keith Giffen Drax the Destroyer miniseries from a while back. That mini even featured Lunatik, Marvel's Lobo and like Lobo created by Keith Giffen, as one of the fugitives. Then again, if Giffen is involved with this project it's possible they are recycling his plot with his permission, but that's kind of weird because the Drax book was a Marvel comic.

Finally, there is nothing about Lobo, the real Keith Giffen Lobo, that is PG-13. They really might as well use another character if they aren't going to use the ultra-violent over the top parody aspects of the character.

At any rate, It's not one I'm too concerned with because it will probably never happen. Deals like this are announced all the time and few of them actually become real movies.

Jedigreedo

Chill. It's only an opinion.
Jan 1, 2002
Okiehoma
Visit site
That... will be very strange. After watching Rocknrolla, I have no idea how to picture him directing someone like Lobo. In regard to the casting, I hope they go the Hellboy route of using a suit rather than casting some cheesy wrestler to get the muscle bulk. If they do go the Hellboy route, then I'd have to vote for Adam Baldwin to play him.

Shawn Hopkins

Mar 13, 2002
Winner's Circle
Haven't we already had the perfect live-action Lobo?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9ooZYjF0mI
No, that's embarrassing to watch.

A movie about Lobo wouldn't even hit right. The aspects of anti-heroism that he's parodying never came to pass in comic book movies.
You make the best point so far. Lobo is a parody of something that doesn't even translate to another medium. For most moviegoers he would be completely divorced from context. Of course, this didn't stop Lobo from becoming popular with lots of comics fans who didn't seem to understand he was a parody.

Invidente 7

Nov 1, 2005
Monterrey, Nuevo Leon
www.xanga.com
Wrong, Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, WRONG!

No, that's embarrassing to watch.
What the hell do you mean by that? You're WRONG :mad: That adaptation was INCREDIBLE, I mean the director manage to get the perfect cast for Lobo, and even manage to do a good adaptation with such a limited budget,

and as for the Lobo movie I'm sure that Ritchie will do a good "guy action film" the kind they don't make much nowadays :sad:

and once again, you're WRONG in regards to the Lobo short film

Shawn Hopkins

Mar 13, 2002
Winner's Circle
What the hell do you mean by that? You're WRONG :mad: That adaptation was INCREDIBLE, I mean the director manage to get the perfect cast for Lobo, and even manage to do a good adaptation with such a limited budget,

and as for the Lobo movie I'm sure that Ritchie will do a good "guy action film" the kind they don't make much nowadays :sad:

and once again, you're WRONG in regards to the Lobo short film
Sorry, I thought it looked like crap. :)

The Lobo casting, makeup and voice was the worst part. He acts like a wrestler.

It's nice that somebody made a low-budget fan film out of a funny comic, but let's not act like it's more than that.

DisneyBoy

Searchin' My Soul
May 16, 2001
Ratings
Somewhere in the imaginat
Visit site
I don't think live action is the way to go. Reality can't capture the intensity of Lobo. It would be better animated or CGI.
Expect plenty of CGI in this.

If they're not careful with the script though, this could end up feeling like some lame 80s movie along the lines of Masters of the Universe.

SSJ Jake

Pony Sue is Pony
Apr 27, 2006
Florida
I personally believe that just about any comic book adaption could be good if done right, and I've been waiting for a live-action Lobo adaption (not counting that lame fanfilm loosely based off of the Lobo Paramilitary Christmas Special), but why a PG-13 rating? I realize that Warner Bros. has vowed to do no more R rated superhero movies after Watchmen practically bombed, but Lobo isn't a superhero. At all. He's destroyed his own planet and killed many innocent lives for pete's sake. If the PG-13 rating is also for marketability issues, well good luck there seeing as even the much tamer, aside from his short lived webseries if it counts, DCAU version of Lobo was prevented from being created in the Justice League Unlimited toyline.

Goldstar Neo

Good Morning!
Jun 4, 2007
Ratings
Cartoonsville
animationnation.proboards20.com
Vareity said:
In the film, says the trade, Lobo will be a seven-foot tall, blue-skinned, indestructible and heavily muscled anti-hero who drives a pimped out motorcycle, and lands on Earth in search of four fugitives who are bent on wreaking havoc.
Why is Warner Brothers making Lobo blue for the movie? Did test audiences find blue more appealing a color than white?

Lobo teams with a small town teenaged girl to stop the creatures.
Did anyone else get a flashback to the Beeteljuice cartoon series after reading this part?