"LEGO Marvel Super Heroes - Black Panther: Trouble in Wakanda" Animated Special Talkback (Spoilers)

• We have upgraded to Xenforo 2. We've decided to open the forums back up while we configure the theme and plugins. Thanks for your patience.

Latest News

Rate and Discuss this LEGO Animated Special!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ****1/2

• ***1/2

• **1/2

Votes: 1 100.0%

• 1/2

• 1/2

• Total voters

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Ratings
10,914 45
Sherman Oaks CA
Entertainment Weekly has a preview of the first short. (Note the video might be region-locked)

The five shorts will air together as a compilation on Disney XD on Sunday June 3rd, at 11:00AM ET.
I love how they pointed out how T'Challa wears his Black Panther suit all the time :p.

The Avengers still look kind of weird in their Infinity War designs. I mean, Cap's in his "Nomad" look yet he's still swinging his shield like normal :sweat:.

You'd think The Avengers would've realized they need to act as a team by now without Black Panther needing to tell them, but I guess this is his special ;).

J. Jonah? Is that reporter supposed to be Betty Brant :eek:?

I'm not surprised they got someone to voice Killmonger who sounds like Michael B. Jordan. Although it was kind of weird that he went from a design that showed off his skin to a full-on bodysuit in just a few part ripoffs :confused:.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Mar 8, 2009
Ratings
7,205 6
A Valid Location
So I guess they'll release a new short each week, then premiere the compilation in June. I don't think these weekly premieres were announced before, so it's a pretty cool surprise.

I also edited the thread into an actual Talkback, complete with a Poll for anyone who's interested.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Ratings
2,286 4
Framingham, MA
LEGO Marvel Super Heroes: Black Panther: Trouble In Wakanda "Something Strange"

That was freaking awesome. Best Marvel Lego cartoon I have ever seen. I loved the Duck moment and Killmonger threatening that he had a really big lunch. This was terrific. *****.

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Ratings
10,914 45
Sherman Oaks CA
Fun episode ;).

Is Killmonger's suit not made of Vibranium in this continuity? You'd have thought he'd have mentioned it :sweat:.

This was probably the most MCU-inspired depiction of Strange since the movie came out. Even Liam O'Brien's performance sounded a little different :ack:.

We also get to hear a litte of Daisy Lightfoot as Shuri, and she definitely sounds more in-line with MCU Shuri's voice then Kimberly Brooks' interpretation. Looking forward to hearing more from her :).

I would think Klaw would warrant more of a reaction then "someone who works with Killmonger..."

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Ratings
2,286 4
Framingham, MA
LEGO Marvel Super Heroes: Black Panther: Trouble In Wakanda "Speeches And Sandwiches"

Forgot to review this last week. It was good. I laughed at Tony forgetting to take the helmet off before he tried eating a sandwich, and I like the new designs on the Avengers (particularly Black Widow). And the fight with Thanos was pretty sick too. ****.

LEGO Marvel Super Heroes: Black Panther: Trouble In Wakanda "The Maze Of Tal-Recs"

When it comes to setting off traps, T'Challa is pretty much Shortround in Temple of Doom in this. ***.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Ratings
2,286 4
Framingham, MA
LEGO Marvel Super Heroes: Black Panther: Trouble In Wakanda "Mining Mayhem"

I see the flaw inherent in the premise. And I should have seen it coming ahead of time. Frankly, so should have Marvel.

Marvel Heroes are a lot more physical with their villains in close quarters than DC heroes. Besides Batman, most of the DC heroes use lassos, or rings, or go too fast for the villain, or punch them out before they even know what's happening. Marvel heroes tend to get in actual knock down drag out fights. And this is especially true for Black Panther. And when I see the special trying to show T'Challa doing his amazing jungle moves at the beginning, I realize the reason it's ridiculous, is because you cannot do that specific motion that makes those moves impressive, with a blocky character design, and no real articulation. The fight doesn't work for the same reason.

Remember when I brought up Batman? Maybe there was a specific reason all of the Lego Batman cartoons had him fighting aliens and spaceships. Because what works for that is not what will work for the kinds of fights Batman actually gets into in the comics. And this cartoon is the proof of that.

I'm gonna call this cartoon unsuccessful. I suspect it's going to make the entire special unsuccessful.

It is really weird how badly this landed, because I thought the Doctor Strange episode's effects and action boarding were amazing. But that was a different kind of fight. And the kind of fight they did here, and the kind of fight the end of the episode will probably be, does not work for the Lego character body type.

A failure this week. *1/2.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Mar 8, 2009
Ratings
7,205 6
A Valid Location
Reminder: A half-hour compilation of all the shorts - including the 5th and final one - airs today at 11:00AM ET on Disney XD. Check TV listings for any re-runs, and also keep in mind the last short (if not the full half-hour compilation) will probably be released online legally as well as uploaded on the Marvel HQ YouTube channel later on.

Please remember to use this thread if you have any more comments about this LEGO Animated Special!

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Ratings
2,286 4
Framingham, MA
LEGO Marvel Super Heroes: Black Panther: Trouble In Wakanda

I reviewed most of the shorts elsewhere so I'll be focusing on the fifth part of the special since Disney XD aired it all together.

First off, it hangs together pretty well. Not perfectly, but it doesn't seem as random as the shorts to me. To be fair, I saw some of the shorts out of order, but it's good the special holds up to scrutiny.

As for the Avengers saving the day... Shuri is right that accepting help is not weakness. But this is pretty much Black Panther's first animated kiddie special. They couldn't allow him to solve this crisis himself? He HAD to be bailed out by his white friends? I don't think I'd resent the moral of teamwork if this wasn't the first major Black Panther animated kids project. Since it is, I do.

I liked Thor going back to "Another!" though. Thor is a tool in any continuity.

I liked most of it, but as noted elsewhere, the "street brawl" aspects do not work with LEGO figurines, and I wanted Black Panther to win on his own. The Dr. Strange section was amazing however. All in all, I think the special is a mixed bag. ***.

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Ratings
10,914 45
Sherman Oaks CA
I thought this was a pretty fun Lego special. Some of the writing and dialogue was a little rough sometimes, but it was all around still a fun, humorous, and endearing animated Lego special from Marvel ;).

The heroes all sporting their Infinity War costumes was still pretty jarring for the most part. Cap is in his "Nomad" suit but still wielding his shield, Black Widow is suddenly blonde for some reason, and Thor just turns up in his new look and they even make a joke about what the heck happened to him :p.

I wonder if Strange's portrayal here is hinting at some kind of more movie-accurate revamp of Strange's character :ack:?

While the special did have the Avengers and Thanos inserted into a Black Panther special, obviously to also tie-in to Infinity War as well as the Black Panther movie, it was still nice to see T'Challa, Okoye, and Shuri take center-stage alongside some Panther rogues like Klaw and Killmonger (the latter making his animated debut) :cool:.

Daisy Lightfoot's Shuri is pretty good, capturing the character's spunk, wit, and intelligence quite well (and with a more appropriate accent then Kimberly Brooks' interpretation) :).

Y'know, they made a point about Black Panther's new suit being an upgrade but it didn't really seem any more effective then his old suit :sweat:.

It also seemed kind of weird how they handled T'Challa's mouth movements, because sometimes it looked like he actually had a mouth instead of a full-on facemask :eek:.

I...still don't really understand what happened at the end with that Vibranium overload :confused:.

Capace

Jun 6, 2018
Ratings
Southampton
I've seen better LEGO productions, but I must admit I laughed a few times

I really like games like Albion Online - I buy silver in them and buy items for silver.
Do you know any trusted places to buy Albion silver?
I bought Albion Silver on Odealo, they have great reviews and I bought them from other games, such as Path of Exile. Albion Silver? In my opinion, it's best to buy Albion Silver here
Try it buy albion silver

Last edited: