1. If you are seeing non-stop CMP acceptance notifications, go here and we will help you troubleshoot:
    https://www.toonzone.net/forums/threads/non-stop-cmp-acceptance-notice.5663692/
    If you are seeing non-stop Privacy/ToS acceptance notifications, go here:
    https://www.toonzone.net/forums/threads/non-stop-privacy-terms-acceptance.5663702/
    If you are seeing threads with no posts at all, go here:
    https://www.toonzone.net/forums/threads/threads-with-no-content.5663811/
    Please note that these are separate issues. Posting in the correct thread will help us resolve the issue faster.
    Dismiss Notice

Leaving cable TV behind (discussion for Sling TV, Playstation Vue, HBO Go, etc)

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by wonderfly, Nov 14, 2014.

1. SuperFan2024

SuperFan2024 Shoo fly.

Interesting to hear. Thanks! Say, do you prefer watching your shows live with a time-slot, or on your own with the SVOD method?

2. Checkerboard

Checkerboard THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS

Both, depends on content and time. Currently in the process of getting used to VOD and slowly migrating towards it, but there are moments and films/shows I prefer to watch on the big screen. Local VOD services in Czech Republic are fairly advanced for the region, I could elaborate if you'd like, but still a lot behind compared to the US/UK for it to become the norm - especially for the elderly for whom TV is the norm.

3. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

In any case, SuperFan2024, let's keep in mind that this is a thread about streaming services, not a "cable/satellite TV is doomed" thread. Just saying. Yes, I know the thread title says "Leaving Cable TV behind", but still.

4. Looney Turtles

Looney Turtles Active Member

Now that the Viacom channels are gone from Spectrum, (which is what I have) I'm thinking of cancelling my subscription with them, and get Sling TV or PlayStation Vue. Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of each? Also, can you use a DVR on either of them?

5. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

Netflix to produce 80 original films in 2018:

https://www.polygon.com/2017/10/16/16486304/netflix-anime-original-films

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

6. the greenman

7. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

If you're looking for a cheaper streamnig service without sports options, previously college-only service Philo launched wide yesterday.

You can get 37 channels for $16/month or 46 channels for $20/month.

The service doesn't seem too bad honestly. You get full app and web access, plus you're able to stream from 3 devices at the same time for those listed prices as well as a 30-day DVR. Considering what the others like to do when you want to multi-stream or record stuff, this is quite the deal. Of course the limited channel lineup is a detriment depending on your needs. No sports is a given, but there isn't even a US-based news network on here. Also zero Turner networks is a bit disappointing. No clue if they plan on adding to their lineup at this time, but options are options.

8. AnotherRandomGuy

AnotherRandomGuy The cat came back, he just couldn't stay away

To be honest, as morbid as this might seem.
    I really want the Disney Streaming service to crash and burn, same with a few other proposed services to be frank.

We're a reaching the point of market over saturation with streaming services and that can only be harmful towards the market and consumer. Currently with the core three being Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime, with niche services scattered throughout like Crunchyroll, CuriosityStream, Shudder, ect, it's fine for the most part. Which all this is all well and good, but with all these other services there's a real risk of people being turned off all together, Netflix is the Walmart of streaming services, people trust it to give content they want even though it's not without it's faults people aren't going to turn away so easily, without a massive cultural shift. Disney shouldn't be trying to chase this trend, because it's ultimately only going to hurt in the long run either the consumer who are stuck wandering aimlessly between services or Disney themselves who are banking a lot on this.

#128 AnotherRandomGuy, Jan 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
    jaylop97 and the greenman like this.
  9. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

I feel somewhat similar, because if Disney is to succeed, I fear it will mean the ruin of either Hulu or Netflix. And I don't want to see that presently.

CBS maybe started this with the launch of their own subscription channel "CBS All Access". Why couldn't they be content to launch new Star Trek material on Hulu or Netflix??

10. the greenman

Well, in order to compete, pretty soon one of these have to come up with new invention to it. I know FilmStruck (the streaming service from Turner Classic Movies and Criterion Collection) has exclusive content much like a Criterion hardcopy disc would have. That's one of things I thought about recently. These other services are mostly offering bare minimum like the VHS days.

11. jaylop97

jaylop97 Nickelodeon Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Hulu has me the most worried right now, Disney has 60% ownership over Hulu thanks to the Fox acquisition and depending on how the AT&T Time Warner Merger goes, Hulu is going to fluctuate. I can't shake off the fear that Disney isn't simply going to override Hulu as a whole.

12. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Ay Carumba
    Staff Member Moderator

Duplicate post from the CBS topic, but it's also worth saying here:
    PS Vue in my area finally has streams of local affiliates....ABC, NBC and FOX...but not CBS, because CBS still wants to pretend they're such an elite product that people will want to pay for their stream separately. I don't know who'd be dumb enough; their offerings are just too bland.

They also don't have The CW, but the reason isn't as clear. Maybe because CBS owns 50% of it?

13. wonderfly

Well, there's a reason "Supergirl" was moved from CBS to the CW: the target demographics just aren't the same. Going by my personal observations, I'd say people who watch CBS are just old fuddy duddies who want to watch "NCIS", "Blue Bloods" and "Hawaii Five-O" all day long, or they think "Big Bang Theory" and "2 Broke Girls" are the greatest comedies in the history of mankind.

Exactly.

14. AnotherRandomGuy

AnotherRandomGuy The cat came back, he just couldn't stay away

So...The Cloverfield Paradox was out on Netflix literally the same day it was announced.

...And the reception is...interesting to say the least.

This is worth discussing, for better and ill.

15. the greenman

Hmmm. This is right after picking up The God Particle.

16. the greenman

Some clarification on Disney platform and Netflix deal:

17. wonderfly

So....Netflix will be worthless come 2020.

18. Elijah Abrams

Elijah Abrams Just deal with it!

19. the greenman

Disney Eyeing Reboots of ‘Honey, I Shrunk the Kids,’ ‘Father of the Bride’ and ‘The Parent Trap’:

http://www.slashfilm.com/honey-i-shrunk-the-kids-remake/

20. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Ay Carumba
    Staff Member Moderator

Why wouldn't you reboot Shrunk on the big screen instead? The other two are lower-tier, but Shrunk needs a big budget, or else we'll get Honey We Shrunk Ourselves 2.

Surprised I don't see Freaky Friday listed here. They're always rehashing that!