Leaving cable TV behind (discussion for Sling TV, Playstation Vue, HBO Go, etc)

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by wonderfly, Nov 14, 2014.

1. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

I got on the Sling website late last night to find they've switched it: It's no longer "by invitation only", it's ready for anybody to sign up!

So I went ahead and did just that! One thing I did notice as I was making my purchase: It says it doesn't work on Amazon firesticks YET. It's listed as "coming soon".

Anyway, it uploaded to my PC quickly and it started working, and at first, the picture quality was poor, and I got a message stating I needed to update the drivers for my PC. So I did that, and after that, the picture quality looked perfect! Streaming was fine, no pauses for me. I noticed you can't back up (rewind) the video on certain channels - I think that only applies to games on ESPN.

Looking over the channel line, I think ESPN is the main attraction here. I got to looking at the line-up on Cartoon Network, and said "Wait, where is Courage the Cowardly Dog and Dexter's Lab? Oh wait, ah crap, I'm old!!" *sniff*

That, plus Toonami airs too late at night...Being able to watch Conan O'Brien again was kind of nice though.

AMC with "Walking Dead" now on Sling? Oooh, sweet!!

Now since this is primarily a ABC network package (with ESPN and Disney), I'm expecting NBC to launch a rival package (on which will be placed Syfy - the only other channel I want)...

2. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

As of right now, Sling TV doesn't offer Comedy Central or IFC. That's not so good. I like the idea of only paying $20 each month, but I gotta have my week of The Daily Show, At Midnight and The Birthday Boys. Although I suppose that I could just watch those on other websites like Hulu.

3. wonderfly

In that link Peter provided, IFC is coming soon, thanks to it being part of the AMC lineup of channels. Oooh, and apparently AMC owns "BBC America"! Hello, Doctor Who!

Who owns Comedy Central?

I need a flow chart for all the various cable networks, to see who owns what. ;)

4. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, I missed Conan too, I had him on last night. For me Toonami starts at 9 (West Coast, again).

Comedy Central is a Viacom network, which also includes Nickelodeon and MTV (which is why those aren't there either).

5. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

AMC is now part of the basic package....and since they're owned by the same company so is IFC! Garfunkel and Oates, here I come!

EDIT: I thought Garfunkel and Oates was a sketch show (like their online material that got them this job), what is this boring stuff? Never mind.

#25 Peter Paltridge, Mar 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2015
  6. wonderfly

So I turned off my subscription to Sling TV at the end of my one week trial period. I realized I don't really watch basketball until it's the playoffs. It's Baseball that i'm waiting for to start up. So I will probably turn my subscription back on in 1 to 2 months.

Also: I didn't care for the current lineup of shows on Toonami (for the first hour - which is what I stayed up to watch). Will see what's airing in a couple months...

But as far as them adding AMC: Yay! Walking Dead! But will have to wait till this Fall to tune in (after I've caught up on the current season when it arrives on Netflix, this Fall).

Still waiting for other cable channels to offer up a rival block.

7. PeppeRaskell1

PeppeRaskell1 Peanutized!!!

I've been watching SlingTV since receiving their invitation, and have been enjoying it so far. Disney Junior (available with Boomerang for an extra $5/month) has been a guilty pleasure for me, as has the El Rey Network with its martial-arts movies shown uncut and in their native language. Glad that AMC is finally part of the lineup, but not a big fan of The Walking Dead (though I'll be taking an occasional peek at it every now and then). And I'll be able to watch the final episodes of the final season of Mad Men.

8. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

Threw down $5 to catch the Gravity Falls marathon tomorrow.

After much experimentation, I've also rigged up a crude method to DVR shows for later -- involving the PC Sling app, a desktop-recording program and a second monitor (the second monitor being crucial or it won't work). It runs at 20-24 frames a second but it gets the job done for me. I don't recommend it for everyone. I'm sure enough people will complain that a real solution will be provided eventually.

9. Hanshotfirst1138

Hanshotfirst1138 Morphinomenal!

Lots of people talks about "cutting the cord" and just using streaming. It sounds appealing, but I NEED Turner Classic Movies. Otherwise, it's be pretty easy. Well, and watching TWD on AMC....

10. wonderfly

This just in: Apple announces "HBO Go" is coming exclusively to Apple TV.

"Apple TV" (from what I can tell) is similar to the Amazon firestick type of thingy. HBO Go gives you access to HBO and it's library of former titles...for $14.99 a month. A bit too much for what is basically one channel. Granted, it's THE premier cable channel..."Game of Thrones" fans may jump on board for this.

11. Hanshotfirst1138

Hanshotfirst1138 Morphinomenal!

The Wire is the best television show ever made and on of the major artistic achievements of the past decade. If you have HBO Go, watch it. Now.

12. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

Not if they don't care for overpriced Apple junk!

Channels owned by Turner are coming in crystal clear with almost no buffering. AMC and IFC come in fine. Channels owned by Disney are performing the worst; their stream slows down so badly that the picture becomes really blurry frequently. This was a pain when trying to watch Gravity Falls; tonight's episode was amazing and it would've been even better if I could've seen it. Is anyone else having a problem with Disney Channel or Disney XD?

13. wonderfly

The online "Sony Playstation Vue" network debuts it's first online original scripted series: "Powers". Based off the Brian Michael Bendis comic book.

This article notes that Sony is unsure if they are going to keep making original content.

14. Gatordragon

Gatordragon I get knocked down, but I keep getting up.

My apartment comes with Brighthouse cable, but I researched Sling TV as part of a report on new digital media. If I didn't have cable, I would certainly use Sling TV as an alternative. The base is $20 per month, it has channels that I like (AMC, TBS, Cartoon Network/Adult Swim, ESPN), and I can use it on my iPad and laptop. Heck, if I want to, I could pay a little extra for Disney XD so I can some Gravity Falls. It doesn't support Nick, but I'm not that interested in Nick anymore anyway.

Sure, Sling TV is missing a couple of other channels that I like, but what can ya do? It still sounds like a good service to me.

15. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

[​IMG]

I really don't understand how the number of moochers for Sling can be so high. The thing about Sling is that you can only have it running on one device at a time. Netflix can be running on multiple devices and you can easily use someone else's account. Netflix should be much higher.

There's that, and the fact that you can go to the Sling website and look up how many devices have accessed your account. If you see a stranger, you can report it.

16. wonderfly

So I just got a Playstation 4 over the weekend. Was thinking about activating Playstation Vue (because I'd like to watch that "Powers" TV series they got on there).

And then I discovered Playstation Vue costs $50 a month. The heck is up with that?!?

So I did some researching, and found this article, from just a few days ago, which describes the differences between Sling TV and Playstation Vue. It argues that Playstation Vue does so much more, it's arguably worth that price...but $50 is still way too rich for my blood.

17. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

For $50 you can get regular cable (for the first six months anyway). I'd also hate to turn a PS4 on every time I wanted to watch something. And from what I hear Powers isn't worth it.

Some more observations: turns out IFC runs its movies uncut and uncensored. Nice! Wonder how they get away with it.
    They had The Big Lebowski on last week; the characters say the F-word in every sentence. This channel is going to make the FCC weep.

None of the Disney-owned channels contain any ads. This includes not just the Disney Channel but Disney XD and even ABC Family. The problem is, the ad breaks are there anyway, they're just covered up with network promos (you'll often see a half-second of some ad appear right when the break ends). And since there are only a finite number of promos, they start repeating VERY quickly -- you will see all of them in an hour. I had Princess and the Frog on yesterday and the same promo for Pretty Little Liars showed up about seventy times.

18. Yippee Coyote

Yippee Coyote Graphic Novelist

But that's not their fault. I mean, "A" is everywhere. :p

19. RandomMe

RandomMe An Imaginary Friend

Are those repetitive promos inserted by the channel or Sling TV?

20. Yippee Coyote

Yippee Coyote Graphic Novelist

Pretty Little Liars is an ABC Family series, so it's likely from the network itself.