"Justice League" Week - Bonus Topic: Who told the origin better? (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Nov 18, 2017.

1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

For better or for worse, the big screen live-action Justice League movie is now playing in theatres everywhere (official talkback)! The new big-screen adventure follows the formation of the Justice League, something that DC Comics fans have seen many times before, both in and out of comics. So, for this special bonus question, let's focus just on that! Arguably, in addition to the movie, the most high-profile renditions of the Justice League's origin is the series debut of the Justice League animated series and the Justice League: War animated movie. So, this leads to a rather simple question ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Who told the origin about the formation of the Justice League better? Was it the Justice League animated series, the Justice League: War animated feature, or the new live-action Justice League movie? Why? What did one version do better than the other, and which one stumbled the most? What were the strengths and weaknesses of each? Compare and contrast and tell us why you chose your answer!

And, a follow-up question: Is there another version you prefer? What about the semi-formation of the League in The Batman? Or perhaps how DC Comics' heroes came together in Justice League: The New Frontier? Share away!

Let's have a fun conversation! And...discuss away!

Note: Spoiler discussion for the Justice League movie IS ALLOWED in this thread, but please use spoiler space out of consideration for other users.

• Like Like x 2
  2. -batmat-

-batmat- Active Member

The New Frontier for me. The animated series felt rushed and barely introduced the characters. In JL: War I hated how the characters were depicted. The live action movie I would have preferred more backstory to Flash, Cyborg and Aquaman, or their individual movies before the teaming up.

The New Frontier definitely feels the most compeling out of them all.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Otaku-sempai

Otaku-sempai Well-Known Member

I was going to post a response very like yours. Any origin of the Justice League that includes Cyborg strikes me as false--his origins to me will always be tied to the New Teen Titans. And of course The New Frontier kept to the Silver Age origins of the team, though that is not viable in a modern retelling that is intended to lead off an ongoing series unless it is set up to explore the team's legacy.

• Like Like x 1
  4. BlackoutCreature

BlackoutCreature Well-Known Member

I think everybody knows that any Justice League that doesn't have Chloe Sullivan as a founding member isn't a real Justice League.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

The snark is strong with this one.

Justice League / Unlimited was easily the best Justice League series or movie, live-action or animation. But it's pilot was totally underwhelming. I'm going to echo what everyone else has said here and give it up for New Frontier.

6. Dusty

Dusty Superman.

After being majorly disappointed with Whedon’s Avenger’s Justice Squad, I needed to erase the junk from my mind, so I re-watched the first episode of JL animated... holy cow that show was billions of miles better than the thing I saw in theaters. They really could have just borrowed that story and we’d have the real League in theaters with a good story.
    I like New Frontier and Justice League War (a bit rushed, but fun movies with some great animation.)
    But JL animated will always be my favorite (not just because nostalgia, but BT and Co. did it so good it will hold up for a long, long time.)

Kallum.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. the_joker

the_joker Active Member

I don't know how this will sound, but I'll try anyways. Why has Cyborg gotten more prominence in recent Justice League stories?

I'm not complaining. It's just weird to me since I was first exposed to Cyborg through the animated Teen Titans, so I guess I see him more as a Titan than a JLer. Though I'm sure comics have let the Titans and Justice League team up.

8. BigFatHairyDeal

BigFatHairyDeal Defender of the Universe

Well, it's not going to be the Hollywood version for me, that's for sure. That's not really the right way to go about making a DCEU IMO. Look at WW's role in the DCEU. She has what I call a bizarre cameo in BvS, then we go back 100 years to tell her origin, now we jump back 100 years and have to explain why she was MIA for a century? Oops. I'd also say Superman was even more mismanaged, so DCEU does not get my vote.

I'm going to side with Justice League the animated series, but I do have issues with the three-parter. Geoff Johns and Jim Lee's JL origin is mostly an underwhelming story, and the animated version maintains a lot of the blandness. Other than the Cyborg sub-plot, and the entertaining "fight" between Superman and the Batman/Green Lantern tag team, what really stands out? Normally, having Darkseid is a good thing, but he's not a compelling villain in the least. The Invaders are not interesting, either, but War gets a bonus deduction for its poor utilization of Darkseid. I suppose you could say as far as adaptations go, War is pretty good, but the source is lacking.

To be fair, War's basis was that you knew the character origins from the individual titles, and the JL book only mentioned how the team came together. However, the animated adaptation had to act as its own primer on the characters, something at which it doesn't really excel. On the other hand, I never looked at the JL cartoon outside the prism of the greater DCAU. Clearly, the "Secret Origins" story is going to feel incomplete if you never watched STAS or BTAS. If "Secret Origins" was the first DC story you ever watched, it's not going to feel fully fleshed out, either, so regarded in isolation it might feel as incomplete as War. Just some food for thought, but it makes the comparison somewhat trickier if you want judge them solely on the merit as origin stories for the League.

In short, my dream JL origin story is still waiting to be told. New Frontier beats the three main contestants presented here, and I'd even say Gods and Monsters is a better take on an original story than the formation of the traditional JL in the three aforementioned stories.

• Like Like x 1
  9. -batmat-

-batmat- Active Member

Really? You think this, for example, is a good villain for a JL live action movie?

[​IMG]

10. BigFatHairyDeal

BigFatHairyDeal Defender of the Universe

Well, let me ask: will the Hollywood version be able to build a portal in the sky? If so, he passes the test!

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Dusty

Dusty Superman.

Maybe... if done a bit different ;)... no what I meant was that the film by Snyder/Whedon was rushed and a Frankenstein of a movie with bad cgi... JL animated was more fluid and though an animated show, it was done better. Obviously they couldn’t adapt the show but as it stands, the animated show was better than the film by a lot.
    Anyway back on topic, JL animated and even The Batman had better intros to the Justice League.

12. -batmat-

-batmat- Active Member

Bad CGI? I guess I'm blind... only the moustache removal was bad... the rest of the CGI is awesome as far as Im concerned.

I don't see how it's fair to compare a 2 hour movie to a +90 episodes series. Plus, the movie was rushed? The animated series introduced 4 league members in once episode out of the blue with no backstory. Isn't that rushed too?

13. Dusty

Dusty Superman.

First, I’m glad you enjoyed it and I’m not downing your opinion at all. There are tons of films I love and think are amazing but everyone else think it sucks. It’s in the eye of the beholder ;) :)
    Also, I think maybe we should PM so we don’t muddle up this thread. Real quick though with the CGI... yes, a huge problem IMO was Superman’s upper lip, the fake cgi dusk background when Clark is talking to Lois, and of course Steppenwolf (he was cool, but he looked more like a mid 2000’s video game villain) instead of a great cgi character that cost millions to make (especially for the biggest WB film for the past 5 years.)
    For perspective you should go back and watch MOS’ and look at that cgi (especially Zod’s all CGI armor) *I didn’t know it was cgi until I read it online. Also look at BvS’ Doomsday scenes and you’ll see the difference in how real and amazing Doomsday and BvS’ cgi was compared to JL. *It may be the extra saturation that made the imperfections stand out more, but nonetheless I even had my gf who doesn’t like superheroes or films but I showed her BvS and without me saying anything she immediately commented on how BvS’ cgi and writing was far superior to JL. Again just her opinion, but it’s not biased. Also this thread was made to compare the animated shows with the film as that’s what the topic is about, lol. “Who did it better?” ;) :)
    Anyways, no offense or rudeness intended, I apologize if I at all came across that way.
    Cheers.

Kallum S.

14. -batmat-

-batmat- Active Member

No problem, just opinions! Can't believe Zod's armor was CGI. Amazing! I'll agree Steppenwolf wasn't the best thing I've ever seen, but I had no problem with it, either.