1. Enter for a chance to win the Captain America Blaster Shield and two POP Vinyl figures from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Justice League" Movie Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Live-Action Movies and Television' started by James Harvey, Nov 16, 2017.

?

Justice League - Rate and Discuss the Live-Action Movie!

1. *****

20.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

20.0%
  4. ***1/2

10.0%
  5. ***

10.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

20.0%
  8. *1/2

10.0%
  9. *

10.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

11/25: There was going to be a post credits scene with Kilowog and Tomar-Re talking to Bruce at his home.

11/30: Bound to happen but now it's rumored that a Snyder Director's Cut exists.

2. dmxx116

dmxx116 Well-Known Member

I don't want to see Snyder's Cut of Justice League it may be even worse, I just stick to what I saw in the theater at least Joss Whedon made it watchable.

• Like Like x 1
    #22 dmxx116, Dec 1, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  3. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

4. Magmaster12

Magmaster12 Well-Known Member

I don't get it, why don't they just do a plot involving Starro Avengers worked out well for using their first villain.

5. Otaku-sempai

Otaku-sempai Well-Known Member

It's a bit late now, but probably for the same reason that Zack Snyder changed the climax of Watchmen; the fear that a movie audience would reject a kaiju as the MacGuffin/villain.

• Like Like x 1
  6. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

That's because Snyder's an overrated idiot who doesn't understand genre audiences.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

Starro for DC is essentially very much like the Skrulls in Marvel.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

8. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

9. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 It doesnt make any sense.

In response to a extended/director's cut - I didn't think the film suffered from any cuts. The only thing not explained is what Mera does for Aquaman so he'll get involved. If there's a scene that explains it, that needs to be put back into the film. I wouldn't mind all the Cyborg "origin" footage in the trailers put back into the film too. If the "origin" footage is a legit sequence and not just quick flashback scenes intended for use through out, I have a feeling it might be really good. Have no idea why.

I wouldn't mind an extended cut, but just please don't be 3 hours long.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. the greenman

Not even sure I need one. I'm still miffed about that stupid Superman resurrection. I mean seriously. What happened to the black suit?

11. Otaku-sempai

Reportedly, the black suit got left on the cutting room floor.

12. the greenman

And cut their box office. I know people who said "that's Superman. I thought that he could come back himself".

13. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, I figured that's what the FX from the coffin at the end of BvS was hinting at that.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Hanshotfirst1138

Hanshotfirst1138 Morphinomenal!

This was better than I expected. Random thoughts:
    Pros
    -DC actually LISTENED to some of the previous criticisms, cutting back on the ungodly length unrelenting darkness of the last few. This isn’t up to par with WW, but it’s miles better than MOS, BVS, and especially SS.
    -Godot continues to be the ace in the hole with her powerful mixture of delicate vulnerability and both literal and figurative strength.
    -I still don’t understand why DC is so obsessed with making Cyborg part of the League, but he’s handled decently. Even when Johns did the New 52 reboot, he knew enough to fold his origin in; the character is more or less unknown to the mainstream.
    -Momoa was a good Aquaman. They did a good job sidestepping all the inevitable “Aquaman is lame” criticisms by making him a trident-wielding badass.
    -Colors! Superman actually smiling! Albeit with a creepy CGI face.
    -Miller’s Flash was lots of fun, even if the ever-underrated Bryan Singer handled the slow-mo sequences better with Quicksliver. His very Whedon quips helped to keep things a little lighter.
    -Affleck is not a bad Batman. I like how they tried to show a little bit of his human fragility; even a simple push from Diana was enough to mess him up.

Cons
    -Whatever criticisms I have of Marvel, they were commercially brilliant in the way they rolled out their characters. DC are rushing something you can’t rush to catch up. We see Mera for what, two minutes? This entire world feels underdeveloped. When he made Avengers, Whedon had at least five films by at least four previous directors who’s work he could actually build on. Here, even the smallest aspects of the world feel thinly sketched. Couple that with the abridged length (Which as I said, has its perks.), and you’re left with an undercooked movie by two very different chefs.
    -Snyder’s annoying propensity for bad cover songs remains annoying.
    -CGI Superman face looks really bad.
    -I am SOOOOO freaking tired of the superhero movie ending with a giant CGI orgy of special effects in a Michael Bay-style action scene that looks like a little kid bashing action figures together against disposable CGI soldiers. Will we ever get back the days before action set pieces were created entirely with computers?
    -Team superhero movies have yet to master the art of a villain who seems to cool enough to take on the whole team. Even if he weren’t a giant CGI mo-cap thing, Steppenwolf is lame, colorless, and yet another megalomaniac bent on world domination. I am so bored.

15. the greenman

He is the token black guy. Marvel had Nick Fury. Then added Black Panther to the film roster. So DC needed someone to represent minorities. Yes Black Vulcan was first on Super Friends but Cyborg was second on Super Powers Team in the 80's. Also, Black Lightning is on tv now. Now Cyborg has already been well-known because of Teen Titans. So there is precedence of the character. However, yes his story doesn't suit a solo origin film.

16. Otaku-sempai

Well, let's face it, Black Vulcan only exists because DC Comics under the management of the time didn't want to pay royalties to Tony Isabella for Black Lightning. Now that things have been patched up, I would much rather see B.L. get a solo film and see Cyborg restored as one of the original members of the New Teen Titans.

17. the greenman

Static is pretty much his replacement imho. Course they wont deal with McDuffie's estate.

18. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Justice League

I had an interesting reaction to this. I disliked the first half of the movie and liked the second. Usually it's the opposite for me in superhero movies. I always factor into my reviews that by the end of two and a half hours my butt is asleep and I get a bit cranky. Even though that happened here too, I still liked the second half better than the first.

Ezra Miller was better than I thought he'd be as the Flash, probably because he got rid of the dirtbag goatee he was wearing in Batman v Superman. I like that he isn't very brave to start off with, but is still the person easiest to convince to join the team. I also laughed at his reaction to Batman's superpower being being rich.

I like that Batman has survivor's guilt and blames himself for Superman's death. Because he should. If Superman hadn't been weakened by their fight beforehand, Doomsday probably couldn't have killed him. I liked Superman turning around Batman's gross "Do you bleed?" line back on him. Needless to say, once Superman came back is when I started enjoying the movie.

The tag with Deathstroke and Luthor would interest me more if I were certain this movie was going to get a sequel. Add to that the fact that Steppenwolf underwhelmed as the villain (it should have been Darkseid) and the DC Comics portions of the movie weren't great.

I rolled my eyes at the way Cyborg said "Booyah!" at the end. Ray Fisher, you are no Khary Payton when it comes to delivering that line.

I liked that they used the Elman Batman theme and the Williams Superman Theme. Wonder Woman's theme was already awesome.

I think the thing in the movie that resonated most for me were Clark's scenes with Lois. Henry Cavill and Amy Adams have far more chemistry now than when they started out.

Gal Gadot continues to amaze. Her using the Lasso of Truth on Aquaman without him realizing it was funny.

I thought the first half was boring, but things picked up once Superman came back. ***1/2.

19. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

20. dmxx116

dmxx116 Well-Known Member

If you live in Korea Justice League is out in Digital HD.

#40 dmxx116, Dec 22, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2017