"Justice League Dark" Animated Release Talkback (Spoilers)

• We have upgraded to Xenforo 2. We've decided to open the forums back up while we configure the theme and plugins. Thanks for your patience.

Latest News

"Justice League Dark" - Rate and Discuss this animated movie!

• Total voters

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Reporter
Jul 13, 2003
Ratings
11,007 21
Shahdaroba
www.dcauresource.com
2/5: Oliva talked about spell designs on his twitter:

He wanted the good magic to be based on elven script and the demon magic to look more harsh and archaic.

Constantine's runes are based on whatever item he is using or spell since he can cast both light and dark magic.

Destiny and Faust's runes are also based on their own type of Dark magic. The colors of the runes were all based on the person.

2/6: First impressions, like JLvsTT, JLD was what this movie continuity needed and good stop in populating and expanding with magic and the supernatural. Faust was a great red herring - loved Constantine's summary of him. Only gripe that stands out to me was Black Orchid. Bit of a shoe horn, rather they saved her for another movie.

Last edited:

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Apr 23, 2001
Ratings
1,171 3
Toonzone
www.worldsfinestonline.com
For those interested, after a little delay, The World's Finest has posted up its review of Justice League Dark. In short, Justice League Dark is the strongest Justice League movie in the revamped era of the DC Universe Animated Original Movie line to date. While each of these DC Comics animated movies have always explored new facets of the DC Universe, to varying degrees of success (usually positive), there’s something a little different about this one. It’s engrossing and interesting, rife with seemingly limitless possibilities. To read the complete review, click on the image below.

Lord Sidious

Jun 20, 2004
Ratings
Wow!!! Total epic letdown!

Dialogue and characters are not very interesting.

Dr. Strange live action movie did better in introducing magic to Marvel Universe.

While this failed epically.

If you are into these characters to begin with then you will love it

BUT introducing these to new GA then it failed and the sales will guarantee that this will be the last animated movie of JL Dark.

Otaku-sempai

Sep 10, 2010
Ratings
1,434 4
Lackawanna, NY
Well, that's one opinion, Lord Siddy. Other reviews have skewed much more positive, some calling this the best DCUAOM in ages. I liked it quite a bit, though I don't think it really earned its 'R' rating (and realizing that was not actually a goal for anyone). Predictions aside, it will be interesting to see if the real sales figures bear you out or not.

Troy Troodon

Jan 16, 2014
Ratings
1,631 8
Another criticism is how they introduced Wonder Woman and Superman dealing with the suspects, and how coldly they are portrayed, while Batman of course was the only rash and comprehensive individual... again making him look better than all the rest.

Well, that's one opinion, Lord Siddy. Other reviews have skewed much more positive, some calling this the best DCUAOM in ages. I liked it quite a bit, though I don't think it really earned its 'R' rating (and realizing that was not actually a goal for anyone). Predictions aside, it will be interesting to see if the real sales figures bear you out or not.
I agree sir, it is art after all, and art is supposed to be subjective to different individuals; though given the bloody and especially intense and disturbingly harsh imagery, I say it definitely deserved the 'R' rating. (then again that might be me getting into my own quip on the MPAA rating system)

Last edited:

Ed Liu

Frog of Thunder
Staff member
Reporter
Sep 6, 2001
Ratings
316 1
Princeton Jct, NJ
www.edwick.com
My feelings about the movie up on the News now, too. I thought it was really enjoyable despite whatever quibbles I had with it (mostly that Zatanna spends most of the movie as Constantine's floating ex-girlfriend, Swamp Thing is pretty extraneous, and the big fight at the end looked like a bunch of magic people/demons/things swatting a giant glowing hamster ball around a city). It's the kind of fun that I had with the Wonder Woman DTV, where the stuff it did right was SO right that I could consciously ignore things like the giant amphibious water landing of the Amazons on a non-existent beach in Washington, DC.

The moment in Felix Faust's library almost makes up for Zatanna being CFEG for most of the movie, where I thought it was clear that she doesn't use magic as much as she can because she's holding back. It's a control thing. Would have been nicer if they had done something with this (like having her use more and learn to control it better by the end of the movie), but maybe the next one.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Reporter
Jul 13, 2003
Ratings
11,007 21
Shahdaroba
www.dcauresource.com
Another criticism is how they introduced Wonder Woman and Superman dealing with the suspects, and how coldly they are portrayed, while Batman of course was the only rash and comprehensive individual... again making him look better than all the rest.
I interpreted that as : Out of the three, Batman retains his composure in the field plus I think unfortunately, he wasn't shocked by a murder-suicide attempt in Gotham. In addition, based the amount of pings on the world map of incidents during the JL meeting, I also got the impression Superman and Wonder Woman were at that breaking point and another bunch of murders they failed to stop got to them reacting coldly.

On Zatanna and Swamp Thing -- I felt like they might have been holding back for them to get the focus in the next JLD or a solo movie and that this movie was really more of a Constantine movie than a JLD one and 'JLD' as the title was a compromise because 'JL' is the selling point and whatever marketing assertions.

EDIT: Recording of the JLD panel in New York (some language). 42:14.
*O'Mara's 1st recording was April 2015
*Tucker mainly drew the messed up stuff - fecal monster was his idea
*Would have put in the cigarette if they knew it was R, but not sure if allowed, cite the monster
*Oliva added in the Mononoke influence to the fecal monster

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2006
Ratings
22 1
Livonia, MI
Don't quite get why this was an R. Excepting the S bomb, even the language was fairly tame. Constantine stole the show. Surprised at the character deaths. Jason O'Mara just has no presence as Batman. I know I'm hung up on Conroy, but God, I miss him. Still don't know why Batman has to hang with the JLD other than to try to sell the movie. The rest of JL was barely in it. I see Andrea Romano has retired, and I hardly recognize anyone in the storyboard crew. I guess I'm getting old, lol. Decent, but unspectacular.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Reporter
Jul 13, 2003
Ratings
11,007 21
Shahdaroba
www.dcauresource.com
Still don't know why Batman has to hang with the JLD other than to try to sell the movie.
Rama Kushna told Deadman to go to Batman. From there, he got wrapped up in the main story.

Because the bloody violence, disturbing imagery and atmosphere, and very subjective scenery like people beating and killing each other.
I would guess the murder shack and the suicide at the beginning sealed the R rating.

BigFatHairyDeal

Defender of the Universe
Sep 7, 2004
Ratings
152 1
Rama Kushna told Deadman to go to Batman. From there, he got wrapped up in the main story.
The story probably works better if only Batman is tagging along with JLD because of the comedy value and Batman's lack of intrusiveness to allow JLD to do their things. Nonetheless, I'd say it certainly felt like purely a marketing decision to make Batman the only main JL member involved. If you wanted to be in-universe practical, for a magic threat there are certainly better JL team members to choose, particularly WW or Shazam.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Reporter
Jul 13, 2003
Ratings
11,007 21
Shahdaroba
www.dcauresource.com
Batman vs Robin ;)
I don't know. A mother who kills herself after almost killing her infant is more drastic than Talon using Robin to kill himself.

The story probably works better if only Batman is tagging along with JLD because of the comedy value and Batman's lack of intrusiveness to allow JLD to do their things. Nonetheless, I'd say it certainly felt like purely a marketing decision to make Batman the only main JL member involved. If you wanted to be in-universe practical, for a magic threat there are certainly better JL team members to choose, particularly WW or Shazam.
Rama Kushna made the pragmatic choice, imo. She knew telling Deadman to clue Batman onto Constantine would lead him to Zatanna which would guarantee Constantine looking into things. Though you could argue Rama didn't care what became of Batman after that point.

I disagree. Their powers are tied to magic but they can't cast it. In terms of defense, WW or Shazam didn't fare too well against Orm's trident. WW didn't last long against Destiny in this movie before she succumbed. Same would have happened to Shazam, imo. I am curious if a Nth metal mace would have helped, heh.