"Justice League Action" Season One Talkback, Part I (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Dec 24, 2016.

?

Rate and Discuss this Season of "Justice League Action"!

1. *****

10 vote(s)
    76.9%
  2. ****1/2

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  3. ****

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon The Christmas Cretin

He might've called Blue Beetle in for an assist.
    I'd be less critical of Mongul if he wasn't following right after Grundy who had the same character type.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

I think he's too old to play Mongol, anyway.

3. Otaku-sempai

Otaku-sempai Well-Known Member

Well, DiMaggio's younger than I am. I don't see an age limit on voice acting as long as the performer can deliver. Go play in your sandbox, kid! ;)

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

I meant Cullen

• Like Like x 1
  5. Otaku-sempai

Otaku-sempai Well-Known Member

Okay. However, the same philosophy applies. If Cullen can pull it off then he's not too old.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It's not like Conroy or Hamill seem to be slowing down as Batman and Joker in their older age either...

• Agree Agree x 3
    #66 Frontier, Feb 13, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  7. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

John DiMaggio's Mongul and the way the character was written seems to have rubbed people the wrong way. Are they any voice portrayals you guys really like?

I seriously enjoy Mark Hamill's portrayal of Swamp Thing. I'm not that interested in the character, but following his recent announcement as a playable character in Injustice 2 and his role in Justice League Dark, he definitely seems to be getting more attention lately. I like Hamill's digitized voice for character.

Jason Lewis' portrayal of Superman is another favorite of mine because he captures the optimism and adventure of the character so well.

Besides characters with returning voice actors like Batman, Joker, Cyborg and Zatanna, I also enjoyed Patton Oswalt's Space Cabbie, Carl Reiner's Wizard, Max Mittelman's Jimmy Olsen, Dana Snyder's Plastic Man and Troy Baker's Hawkman.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I think JLA's large ensemble has been pretty well-cast across the board so far, props to Wes Gleason on that front, though there have been a few portrayals of certain characters that have left me going "huh?" like Swamp Thing and Mongul here, but I'd still say their VA's did solid jobs with those takes :).

• Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  9. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

Unfortunately, Cullen is largely retired from voice acting. He'll only ever voice Eeyore and Optimus Prime anymore.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Currently for me it's between Patton Oswalt as Space Cabbie and someone from an episode that hasn't aired in the States yet.
    Ken Jeong as Toyman

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I remember Jason J. Lewis mentioned in an interview Imari Williams was originally cast as Mongul for Justice League Action. I'm not sure when or why he was replaced with John DiMaggio.

Regardless, I don't mind the change - I don't have a problem with the voice, I think the issue here is more about how Mongul was portrayed (and honestly, I don't have a problem with that either).

I think the voices so far have generally been good - going by the clips I've seen from international airings, there's only one I can think of I didn't really care for
    Andy Richter as Chronos in "Time Share" (which is set to air this weekend in the US)

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. Bestmand902

Bestmand902 Active Member

I really liked Dana Snyder as Plastic Man, personally. I really hope Plas is in more episodes.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Check out a new episode of Justice League Action, today at 7:30AM ET on Cartoon Network!

[​IMG]
    Justice League Action "Time Share"
    Episode Debut - February 18th, 2017
    Written by - Josie Campbell
    Directed by - Shaunt Nigoghossian

Batman and Blue Beetle have to travel back in time to stop Chronos from destroying a young Dark Knight on his very first case.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Also, keep in mind this thread is only for the US airings of the show. If you want to talk about any episodes that have aired internationally before making their debut on Cartoon Network in the US, you must use spoiler tags.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

1x9 Time Share

It was a nice surprise to get a peek at Batman's past so early into the series. An even bigger surprise to see those nods to Batman: The Animated Series and Batman '66. Beetle's question about the "I am vengeance..." line was pure gold. So was the "That is why I built the grapling gun" scene. :D

Even though it barely appeared, I was floored to see Chrono's wheel car. I read an article about it about year ago I think. Funny to think that is an actual concept car. Basically two rotating wheels on a gyroscope, up to 80 or 90 miles per hour, super agile, and zero emissions.

I have to admit I was really thrown off by Chronos' obsession with Batman and Andy Richter's choice of voice for him. The design was kind of off, too. I'm not sure, maybe too bulky? Combine a Munchkin voice with a bulky build with a classically garish costume... yeah. I didn't really buy that smoke would mess with Chronos' ability to see ahead - I guess he had to retain visual contact with his opponent? Still, they got his toys right. Heh. The way the glove interacted with his suit was pretty cool.

Points to Blue Beetle for figuring out how to save the younger Batman's life. As I recall on The Brave and The Bold, Blue Beetle liked to take photographs as well. Nice to see that seep over here on this show. Also pretty neat to see Jake T. Austin's second take on the character so soon on the heels of Justice League vs. Teen Titans. Superman and Wonder Woman being impressed Batman actually said "Good job" to someone and Beetle doing the B:TAS pose was the perfect ending.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon The Christmas Cretin

I enjoyed the idea that Chronos is just a wildly uncoordinated dork without his future tech. He's basically just a guy in a costume running around. A green, newbie Batman was also enjoyable.

• Like Like x 3
  16. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought this was a great episode, with a neat spotlight on the Batman and Blue Beetle camaraderie that was present in a few episodes of The Brave and the Bold. This story felt like it could fit in that continuity with ease. Time travel stories are usually tricky to pull off, but I think this one worked for the most part. I wasn't really expecting much time travel science, and what we got was good enough.

Interesting idea of using time travel to squeeze in some homages to Batman: TAS. I loved all of them - the familiar backgrounds, the music, "I am Vengeance", and anything else I can't remember at the moment. Just goes to show you how influential (and awesome) that show still is, even now nearly 25 years after its debut.

Good and surprising way to work in a nod to the 60s live-action show, too. Personally I'd count Carmine Falcone's appearance here as a nod to Batman: Year One. And like I said, Batman & Blue Beetle seemed pulled straight out of The Brave and the Bold. That's a lot of Batman allusions in only 11 minutes. :D

I liked how they poked fun at Batman's early days of crime-fighting, without going overboard or making dumb jokes the entire episode. Seeing the classic Bat-Suit drawn in this style was pretty awesome as well.

The weakest aspect of the story as far as I'm concerned was Chronos. I didn't mind his design but his voice was pretty bad. His plan was decent though I was hoping they would explain more about his obsession with Batman. He wasn't a completely terrible villain but he was over-shadowed by Falcone, and all the other stuff that happened in the episode.

Nice way to end the story as well - Batman complimenting Blue Beetle's work was indeed surprising (remember how he congratulated Firestorm a few episodes back?) and Beetle doing his impression on the already iconic Batman pose was pretty awesome.

All in all, I think this was one of the best episodes yet. Plenty of tributes to older stuff, but a pretty good story as well. Plus, some fun interactions between the characters.

Here's the cast list:

Jake T. Austin - Blue Beetle
    Kevin Conroy - Batman
    Rachel Kimsey - Wonder Woman
    Jason J. Lewis - Superman / Falcone
    Andy Richter - Chronos

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. WebMasterSage

WebMasterSage Obey the Pecking Order.

I Say Chronos honestly reminds me of Nappa from DBZA.

18. Bestmand902

I couldn't stand Chronos' voice here, idk, just extremely irritating in my opinion

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

Agreed. It sounded like he was trying to imitate Charlie Adler.

• Like Like x 4
  20. Bestmand902

YES! I actually would've loved it if it was Adler, Adler's got some serious talent when it comes to high-pitched but still evil.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.