"Justice League Action" Season One Talkback, Part I (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Dec 24, 2016.

?

Rate and Discuss this Season of "Justice League Action"!

1. *****

10 vote(s)
    76.9%
  2. ****1/2

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  3. ****

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Kind of funny to think that Conroy's gone through three different Zatanna voices over the course of his career as Batman, just like he's gone through three different Superman's :p.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Pfeiffer-Pfan

Pfeiffer-Pfan Makin' Whoopee!

He has also gone through three different Jokers:

Mark Hamill
    Richard Epcar (Injustice games)
    Troy Baker (Assault on Arkham)

• Like Like x 3
  3. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

Actually, 4 or more. Hamill, remember was not the only voice of the Joker in Batman: The Animated Series (Tim Curry played the part briefly).

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

Thank-you. I'm skipping Justice League Dark and really not interested in him getting a Arrowverse animated series, but at least he's not in this show (or at least this episode) too much. :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Wonder Woman only threw that Djinn's sword off the coast of Metropolis if I remember right.

EDIT: On the topic, makes sense Superman was uneasy because the Hall was in the city whereas the Watchtower is a safe distance out at sea.

I'm looking forward to the possibility of seeing that hangar where Batman flew out of in the Batjet. And well, more of the base itself.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    #45 Yojimbo, Feb 4, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  6. Otaku-sempai

Otaku-sempai Well-Known Member

True, but I don't think that any portion of Curry's performance made it to air.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

IIRC, at least one or two did, unless WB went back and dubbed Hamill in for reruns.

8. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon The Christmas Cretin

I've always wondered, after a zombie apocalypse is there a big spike in cremations?

• Like Like x 2
  9. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

This was a fun enough episode, even if I'm not a fan of zombies in general (always found them lame compared to vampires). Constantine didn't appear as much as I thought he would, but it was fun having Zatanna and Swamp Thing around (obviously, Batman doesn't have trouble believing in magic in this series).

That lady kissing Swamp Thing in the end made for a cute scene. I'm glad when people give the heroes the gratitude they deserve, especially the heroes who don't look conventional.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Check out a new episode of Justice League Action, today at 7:30AM ET on Cartoon Network!

[​IMG]
    Justice League Action "Galaxy Jest"
    Episode Debut - February 11th, 2017
    Written by - Duane Capizzi
    Directed by - Jake Castorena

Joker is abducted into space by Mongul to entertain Mongul’s troops. Unless the Justice League can re-capture him in time, a Joker gas bomb will go off in Gotham threatening the city.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Also, keep in mind this thread is only for the US airings of the show. If you want to talk about any episodes that have aired internationally before making their debut on Cartoon Network in the US, you must use spoiler tags.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

1x8 GALAXY JEST

I loved this format of a typical mundane night in Gotham turns into a Justice League op. Heh.

Like in the pilot, another instance of Wonder Woman sort of leaning to her upbringing but sort of right. And again, Superman makes a good foil to her and keep her on task with rescuing the Joker.

Nice to see the Flash after his mention in "Nuclear Family Values" and once again voiced by Charlie Schlatter. The Commissioner Gordon cameo was cute.

My favorite part had to be the montage of corny jokes ending with the joy buzzer winning the audience. Joker Fish was a nice bonus. Second place goes to Wonder Woman throwing Joker into the paddy wagon before he could finish his pitch and she didn't throw him in nicely. lmao. Best line had to be Joker's "Please be enemies!" but honorable mention goes to when he's disgusted at himself for cheering on Superman.

Loved the fight between Superman and Mongul. Looking forward to seeing more of their bad blood - makes for some great action pieces.

The one surprise for me in this episode was Batman not being able to stop the Gutbuster bomb in time and it turned out to be the Flash and Superman who saved Gotham.

• Like Like x 4
  12. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon The Christmas Cretin

That was a pretty lame Mongul. He could barely trade punches with Supes this time around and he didn't have the cruel cunning that I kinda expect from the character.

I did like the endless terrible jokes montage, though.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Only in a DC cartoon could you see the Clown Prince of Crime be kidnapped by Mongul of Warworld to entertain his warriors. How I've missed this :anime:.

After reprising the role for years in stuff like the Arkham games and Killing Joke, it's nice to have Mark Hamill return as Joker in something kid-friendly again. While his modern Joker performance obviously shows signs of his age, he still nails the character's personality and delivery down to pat, displaying just why he's still the most iconic voice of the character after all these years :D.

Y'know, usually you'd expect an episode with Joker in it to lead to Batman having a lion-share of the screentime as he once again goes toe-to-toe with his archenemy, but surprisingly Superman and Wonder Woman take up most of this episode's focus as they tried to free Joker from Mongul's clutches. Quite a refreshing chance of pace for a DC cartoon, all things considered ;).

Heck, outside the intro, we didn't really see Batman and Joker interact that much, with Joker bouncing off Mongul, Supes, and Wonder Woman on this adventure and it took the entire League to help save the day from Joker's bomb. Though of course Batman was the one who figured out where it was located, World's Greatest Detective that he is :cool:.

Man, JLA Wonder Woman tells it like it is! Granted, it doesn't show off the character's trademark compassion very well, but at the same time you can't help but see the point to what she's saying. Plus Superman's reactions are priceless :p.

It was nice to finally see Flash make his proper debut, with Charlie Schlatter once again reprising the role. I'm just going to assume this is the Barry Allen Flash, barring any surprise reveal of his identity, because it probably is. He didn't get to do much outside of zipping past Gotham landmarks until the end where he used his patented wind tunnels, but it was still nice to see him and hopefully we'll get more Flash in the future :).

It's kind of interesting to note that Schlatter's been the most used of any Flash VA, reprising the role across several cartoons, animated movies, and video games, and was the original voice of DCAU Flash before Michael Rosenbaum came in for Justice League. Of course, the one consistent thing about Schlatter's Flash is they generally leave it ambiguous which Flash he's playing :sweat:.

Nice to get a cameo from Commissioner Gordon and Joker's patented laughing fish. The former looks straight-out-of Beware the Batman with his character design, which isn't surprising given the two series share a character designer in Shane Glines :proud:.

Mongul was a little more standard barbarian alien overlord then you would expect, especially speaking in that slow, third person, dialect, though I think John DiMaggio did the best with what he had to work with. It's always pretty cool to see him throw down with Superman though :evil:.

So Joker was able to keep Mongul and Warworld laughing, albeit indirectly, and with some help from Superman :rolleyes2:.

• Like Like x 3
    #53 Frontier, Feb 11, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  14. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought this was another fun episode, with a good balance between action and comedy. The story was again pretty straight-forward with few surprising twists, but still proved to be entertaining enough for me. Not much of an actual introduction but pretty strong debuts for both Joker and Flash (with some familiar voice actors reprising their roles).

Joker and Mongul seems like such a random pairing, but I think it worked pretty well here. I liked that they didn't try and force an alliance between the two villains or anything like that and instead went with a more comedic approach. Joker's lame attempts at stand-up comedy were amusing. This version of Mongul seems pretty different than how he was portrayed in previous cartoons, but I liked it.

The fight scenes were great - Superman versus Mongul was probably the highlight, but I also liked Wonder Woman taking out a bunch of Mongul's warriors, or her attacking the ship. Plus, Joker getting tossed around a lot by various other characters. Like I said, mixing action and comedy. The scene with Mongul's warriors laughing at seeing their leader electrocuted was a nice little touch.

It was cool seeing the Flash make his debut here, and I hope we'll see more from him in the future. Same goes for Commissioner Gordon's cameo, which made sense because the Earth-based scenes took place in Gotham. I liked how they used Batman here - they didn't rely on him too much and instead focused on the other characters, similar to how they handled him on Justice League. If this was The Brave and the Bold, Batman would have went into space himself and single-handedly defeated Mongul. :p

The team-work at the end with the heroes stopping the bomb was fun. Again, Batman didn't do much but Flash and Superman used their powers rather well. I thought Superman's reactions while dealing with the laughing gas from the bomb were hilarious. For some, it might feel a little jarring seeing the hero actually smile, but it worked great on this show.

Here's the cast list:

Kevin Conroy - Batman
    John DiMaggio - Mongul
    Mark Hamill - Joker
    Rachel Kimsey - Wonder Woman
    Jason J. Lewis - Superman
    Charlie Schlatter - Flash

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

This was mostly a fun episode. Joker, especially Mark Hamill Joker, is always a pleasure to watch. Most of his lines are scenes are enjoyable.

I was also expecting Batman to save the day, but hey, it pays to have friends in high places.

The one thing I really didn't care for was Mongul. Compared to the previous animated Mongul appearances, this one came across as the typical "strong but dumb" character trope, which was too bad.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

But wasn't this more Mongul on a lazy Sunday afternoon? Plus, hard to follow the version from Young Justice, imo, who was so verbose in his initial appearance -- and well, Keith David. But yeah I guess across animation, he's been a hit or miss character.

• Like Like x 3
  17. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

This reminds me of that scene from Superman/Batman: Public Enemies: "Mongul wasn't his usual talkative self."

But I don't think Gorilla Grodd's mind-control was responsible for Mongul's behavior on Justice League Action. :p

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    #57 RoyalRubble, Feb 12, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  18. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

Well, a plot involving heroes rescuing the Joker is a unique turn that I didn't expect. It was also nice to not have Batman show up the other heroes like he normally does.

This show continues to impress.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It was also cool seeing Wonder Woman use that Javelin to decimate Mongul's ship, demonstrating she's an ace behind the wheel of a plane. Hopefully we'll get to see some more aerial feats from her in her iconic Invisible Jet :cool:.
    You never know, given this show's crazy plots and character pairings, plus Grodd's in the intro :rolleyes2:.

• Like Like x 2
  20. WebMasterSage

WebMasterSage Obey the Pecking Order.

I Cannot help it but John DiMaggio's Mongul would serve for a inspiration for a Character in a Abridged series.

Heck if they want a better written & Better voiced Mongul,
    Cast Peter Cullen as him.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.