"Justice League Action" Season One Talkback, Part I (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Dec 24, 2016.

?

Rate and Discuss this Season of "Justice League Action"!

1. *****

10 vote(s)
    76.9%
  2. ****1/2

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  3. ****

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Otaku-sempai

Otaku-sempai Well-Known Member

Don't hold me to this, but I think that Big Belly Burger first showed up outside of comics in Supernan: The Animated Series.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Hmm. Could it have been that LoSH episode, "New Kids in Town"?

• Like Like x 2
  3. Otaku-sempai

Otaku-sempai Well-Known Member

Hmmm. It doesn't seem to be. And I might be mistaken. The earliest reference to Big Belly Burger in animation that I can turn up so far is in the 2014 JLA Adventures: Trapped in Time animated movie. The chain might have shown up earlier, if not in S:TAS, then maybe in Justice League or JLU. Or it might have turned up on Young Justice. Then again, my memory might be playing me false. Maybe a search of the forums would turn something up.

• Like Like x 2
    #423 Otaku-sempai, Aug 31, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
  4. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

"Best Day Ever" was a lot of fun. Seeing Joker and Luthor together in rather unique circumstances was nice. The scenes at the art gallery and in Egypt were probably my favorites. I figured Joker had a reason for doing all this but wasn't entirely sure what he was up to. I liked how Luthor refused to win this battle by resorting to his bomb and confronted Joker in the end. It's not too important but I think it makes Luthor a more intriguing character.

The episode also featured a pretty nice roster of heroes - including the debut of both Krypto and Ace! I really liked how Superman and Batman interacted with their respective pets. And Wonder Woman's commentary was appropriate enough. :p

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Check out a new episode of Justice League Action, today at 7:00AM ET on Cartoon Network!

[​IMG]
    Justice League Action "The Cube Root"
    Episode Debut - September 2nd, 2017
    Directed by - Shaunt Nigoghossian
    Story by - Ernie Altbacker
    Teleplay by - Jennifer Muro

The Calculator wreaks havoc with Mr. Terrific's T-spheres and Firestorm's matrix.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Also, keep in mind this thread is only for the US airings of the show. If you want to talk about any episodes that have aired internationally before making their debut on Cartoon Network in the US, you must use spoiler tags.

• Like Like x 1
    #425 RoyalRubble, Sep 2, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
  6. Lonewolf36

Lonewolf36 Active Member

Anyone with Xfinity on demand they also have next weeks episode Superman's pal Sid Sharp just watched both episodes. The Mr Terrific being the favorite of the 2.

• Like Like x 2
  7. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon The Christmas Cretin

We get a lot of Firestorm in this series, so it was nice to have Dr. Stein as the focus. Changes things up a bit. With the exception of outwitting Mxy, we haven't really gotten a chance to see the good doctor in a role outside of Ronald's long-suffering mentor.

Which brings us to Mister Terrific who serves as a perfect foil. Terrific and his drones provide for some interesting, eye-catching action sequences.

Lex is a cultured villain this time out.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It was great to finally see Mr. Terrific make his debut on the show, since he's been in the opening from the start, and get a strong showcase for the terrific guy Michael Holt is :anime:.

Michael is a bit of a dour guy in the comics (particularly given his backstory) so it was neat seeing a more fun and jovial take on him here and watching him bounce off Firestorm and his "old pal" Martin. Watching him make do without his T-Spheres with only his agility and smarts while still finding a way to stop Calculator was pretty awesome :D.

I also thought Hannibal Buress did a solid job in the role, and while he wasn't my ideal voice for the character I'd say he did a good job of capturing Terrific's personality and confidence:).

Though it was really weird to see him in bright yellow, given his traditional colors are white and red. And where's the "Fair Play" logo :confused:?

A teenage Micheal Holt rooming with grad student Martin Stein sounds like the perfect premise for a sitcom :p.

Man, you know things are bad when Ronnie is acting like the most mature person in a room :sweat:.

Calculator was a fun villain for the episode, giving both of our science heroes a real run for their money with his mastery of tech and hacking. I also liked how they were able to do a solid job of modernizing Calculator's goofy classic costume into something sleek and cool :cool:.

I also thought Ely Henry's performance worked well with the character, capturing Calculator's snide and arrogant personality quite effectively :evil:.

It was interesting seeing Firestorm get de-fused given we haven't seen the pair in their normal forms since the flashback in Firestorm's debut episode. I was beginning to wonder if they could even de-fuse in this universe (though Ronnie implied he still attends school), so it was fun seeing the two make do without each other and Professor Stein getting more actively involved in saving the day :anime:.

Plus the two reuniting and fusing back into Firestorm was a pretty awesome scene :D.

Y'know the show seemed to gloss over the fact that Calculator might have discovered Firestorm's secret identity given his resources and the fact that he saw Ronnie and Professor Stein's faces. Though I wouldn't be surprised if Mr. Terrific wiped his data clear to ensure that doesn't happen ;).
    Well, he is Lex Luthor :rolleyes2:.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

I was happy to see this turned out to be another character episode and focused again on Firestorm as well as introduce one of the hardly seen members of the JL this season. That just leaves Dr. Light I think.

It was all about S-Cubes vs. T-Spheres. lmao. Made me think of iPod vs. Zune.

Good, wasn't just me

Makes a little more ironic who Stein was merged with to become Firestorm. A teenager who kinda talks big.

Yes, that development made me wonder if they'll figure out the tech or ability to separate and merge at will as the last bunch of episodes proceed.

Well, I always think back to "The Great Brain Robbery"

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

And Supergirl ;).

• Like Like x 2
  11. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

She's already a member? I assumed Light is.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Oh, I thought we were talking in general :sweat:.

In-universe I guess Light is probably a member already while Kara isn't, since Superman only recently discovered Kandor :).

• Like Like x 2
  13. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Sorry, I should have been more clear but it's been a long day. Yeah, but it is interesting the newest members are all teens and not adult heroes - Stargirl, Blue Beetle, Shazam, Firestorm.

I figured Light was because that's her photo in "Play Date" in Toyman's select screen I think. So the JL should be just under 24 members currently.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Lonewolf36

Lonewolf36 Active Member

Way i have it is 25 members
    Batman
    Superman
    Wonder Woman
    Martian Manhunter
    Green Arrow
    Booster Gold
    Cyborg
    Constantine
    Swamp Thing
    Plastic Man
    Green Lantern
    Shazam
    Hawkman
    Firestorm
    Zatanna
    Flash
    Blue Beetle
    Big Barda
    Doctor Fate
    Etrigan
    Vixen
    Stargirl
    Red Tornado
    Atom
    Mister Terrific
    not counting Guy Gardner who has been mentioned, Black Canary who has made a cameo on the shorts and the above mentioned Doctor Light.
    Possibles: Huntress, Mister Miracle, Robin and Supergirl.

• Like Like x 3
    #434 Lonewolf36, Sep 3, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2017
  15. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Very nice use of Firestorm, with a bigger focus on Professor Stein rather than Ronnie. He's been present in other episodes but I think this is the first time they really explored his character.

It's cool Mister Terrific finally made his debut. He was handled well enough and his interactions with Stein were great. The use of T-Spheres was also nice and did lead to some cool action scenes.

I also liked Calculator, he was a good adversary and his design looked great. I think the only other time I saw him was on Batman: The Brave and the Bold where he looked like this. :p
    Black Canary was also seen on a picture with Space Cabbie & Zatanna in "Follow That Space Cab!".

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Check out a new episode of Justice League Action, today at 7:00AM ET on Cartoon Network!

[​IMG]
    Justice League Action "Superman's Pal, Sid Sharp"
    Episode Debut - September 9th, 2017
    Directed by - Jake Castorena
    Written by - Brian Ford Sullivan

When obnoxious reporter Sid Sharp decides that Clark Kent is getting all his stories because of his connection to Superman, Sid decides to become his own superhero to out scoop him.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Also, keep in mind this thread is only for the US airings of the show. If you want to talk about any episodes that have aired internationally before making their debut on Cartoon Network in the US, you must use spoiler tags.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It was cool getting what was basically a solo Superman episode, more or less, with Batman only playing a very minor role. I know the appeal of JLA is in it's ensemble cast and team-ups, and in a way we did get that here with Sid and Supes, but it was nice to see an episode that took the time to go more in-depth with one of the Trinity and show their life out-of-costume ;).

I wonder if we might at some point get an episode like this for Batman and Wonder Woman? It would probably be the best chance to see Robin, Alfred, and Steve Trevor in the flesh and maybe even give Commissioner Gordon a speaking appearance :D.

Getting to see Superman in pure Clark Kent mode was great, and it was neat seeing all the subtle differences in Jason J. Lewis' performance as Clark compared to his Superman. His Clark is much softer and a little more high-pitched compared to his Superman voice. I always appreciate it when VA's do the work to distinguish between the Superheroes' double-identity :cool:.

Sid Sharp was certainly quite the character, with his brand of braggadocio and and sleaziness being perfectly captured by comedian Jon Lovitz. It was also fun watching someone who seems generally unlikable team-up with the Big Blue Boy Scout himself and actually help out in his own way, even if he can't help but still complain about the hero trying to rescue him :rolleyes2:.

It's always great to see the classic Superman look, even if it didn't look particularly flattering on Sid :harley:.

It was nice to see Jimmy again :).

"Great Ceasar's Ghost!" Always fun to see Perry, and Piotr Michael did a solid job as the ever-irate editor-in-chief of the Daily Planet :anime:.

So there are apparently two brunettes working at the Daily Planet...but which one is Lois? Kinda odd that we had an episode featuring the Daily Planet and Clark's supporting cast and yet Lois doesn't make even a small speaking appearance. I guess they might be saving her up for a more significant role later on, but it still felt odd when we get to at least see Jimmy and Perry o_O.

It felt like this episode took place before "Fatal Fare" since we had Darkseid appear here while also introducing his main lieutenants (sans Steppenwolf and Vundabar) even though we've already seen Desaad and Kanto but here it's like they're appearing for the first time with Granny Goodness introducing them by name :confused:.

Speaking of, it was cool finally seeing Granny Goodness making her debut on the TV-side, with the great Cloris Leachman providing an excellent take on the character with a voice that combines the sweet voice of a granny and all the sadistic and underhanded qualities that define Granny Goodness :evil:.

Now all that's left to see of Apokolips are the Female Furies :ack:.

I don't think I've ever felt so sympathetic to Kalibak before. He felt less like a savage beast of Apokolips and more like a lovesick puppy trying to get his father to love him :crying:.

Once again Superman takes Darkseid out in one punch, though at least the lord of Apokolips got to pick himself up and launch a flurry of Omega Beams at Superman for a thrilling chase sequence :eek:.

You've got to give Supes credit. Even if you're not his favorite person in the world, he'll always give credit where credit is due :proud:.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    #437 Frontier, Sep 9, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
  18. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

It's understandable why a direct adaptation of the Don Rickles story probably didn't transpire but it's still got the DNA of Jimmy Olsen #139 and 141. These smaller casts are still just as good and even better than the bigger stories.

The Parademons were hilarious. The glasses work. :D

Indeed, I'm curious to see what Wonder Woman and Green Arrow do in their offtime in similar episodes.

Yeah, loved that broom closet scene when even Clark had to think about saving Sid. :D

Yeah, I laughed when I realized they weren't introducing Lois in this episode. Kind of like YJ, they might never get to it. But with YJ she did cameo in a tie-in comic at least.

I think the only one left that's been confirmed to appear is Bernadeth. But the more the merrier. It seemed like those robbers at the start were a nod to Intergang and I think Mannheim is confirmed to appear, too.

Ha, that cracked me up. So no hug?

Yes! That was an awesome sequence.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I liked seeing more of Clark Kent and his supporting cast at the Daily Planet. Jimmy we've seen before, but it's cool they also introduced Perry White. It would be kind of funny if one of those ladies in the building was indeed Lois but they didn't make a big deal out of it. And of course, Sid Sharp who was a pretty good character. He was amusing but also kind of annoying at times (but I suppose that was the idea, since even the episode description calls him obnoxious). I wouldn't mind seeing him again later on.

It was great seeing more of Darkseid's Elite. Desaad and Kanto return, Granny Goodness makes her debut on the show (after appearing in one of the webisodes), and Kalibak appears for the first time. I liked this take on all of them, but Kalibak was probably my favorite. Introducing him as the "savage Kalibak", then seeing him wave to his father and wanting a hug. Pretty hilarious stuff.

There were some other gags, like the Parademons getting fooled by Clark's glasses. And while it was kind of predictable and cliche, Sid tricking the bad guys into fighting each other was still pretty enjoyable. But things became a lot more entertaining once Superman fights back and the battle ends with the destruction of Darkseid's base.

All in all, a fun episode. I liked how they used both Superman and Clark Kent in this story, and it does a good job at depicting some of his notable characteristics. It was cool seeing Batman at the beginning - it wasn't much, but I really liked that scene with Batman and Clark talking. It would have been nice if Intergang showed up as well, but the episode played out well enough even without them.

If they would have tried adapting the old Jack Kirby comic this episode was based on, back in the 90s Superman: TAS, I wonder how it would have turned out. They probably could have managed to get Don Rickles for the role, as they originally wanted to for this episode.

Here's the cast list, for anyone curious:

Jonathan Adams - Darkseid
    Troy Baker - Kanto
    Kevin Conroy - Batman
    Cloris Leachman - Granny Goodness
    Jason J. Lewis - Superman / Desaad
    Jon Lovitz - Sid Sharp
    Piotr Michael - Kalibak / Perry White
    Max Mittleman - Jimmy Olsen

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Hmm, so in the first shot of the Daily Planet's reporter pool when Sid vents with Jimmy, in the upper right corner - there's some newspapers on display. I'm pretty sure those were the ones from the Superman: The Animated Series pilot 3 parter. Then at the end of the episode, a nod to Wayne Industries on the left side of the newspaper. Not sure what was on the right - maybe a nod to Weird Mystery Tales or Weird War Tales?

Sid thinking Darkseid had phegm in his throat? lol. I wonder if that was a nod to the Teen Titians Go! episode when Starfire gave Darkseid a lozenge then he sounded like Weird Al. :D

In that same scene, sounds like Kalibak implied his mother Suli is still alive in this continuity. Man, they made Kalibak kinda likeable in this show.

• Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.