"Jurassic World" Feature Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by James Harvey, Jun 12, 2015.

?

"Jurassic World" - Discuss and Rate this Film!

1. *****

30.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

20.0%
  4. ***1/2

20.0%
  5. ***

20.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

10.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

The park is open.

[​IMG]
    Jurassic World
    Release date: June 12, 2015
    Studio: Universal Pictures
    Director: Colin Trevorrow
    MPAA Rating: PG-13 (for intense sequences of science-fiction violence and peril)
    Screenwriters: Rick Jaffa, Amanda Silver, Derek Connolly, Colin Trevorrow
    Starring: Bryce Dallas Howard, Judy Greer, Chris Pratt, Ty Simpkins, Jake Johnson, Nick Robinson, Irrfan Khan, Vincent D'Onofrio, BD Wong, Omar Sy, Katie McGrath, Lauren Lapkus, Andy Buckley

Plot Summary: Steven Spielberg returns to executive produce the long-awaited next installment of his groundbreaking Jurassic Park series, Jurassic World. Colin Trevorrow directs the epic action-adventure based on characters created by Michael Crichton. The screenplay is by Rick Jaffa & Amanda Silver and Trevorrow & Derek Connolly, and the story is by Rick Jaffa & Amanda Silver. Frank Marshall and Patrick Crowley join the team as producers. Twenty-two years after the events of Jurassic Park (1993), Isla Nublar now features a fully functioning dinosaur theme park, Jurassic World, as originally envisioned by John Hammond. After 10 years of operation and visitor rates declining, in order to fulfill a corporate mandate, a new attraction is created to re-spark visitor's interest, which backfires horribly

Comments?

Related Discussion:
    -Jurassic Park Talkback (Spoilers)
    -The Lost World: Jurassic Park Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Jurassic Park III Talkback (Spoilers)

2. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Just got back from seeing it and thought it was basically terrible. I imagine if The Asylum made a Jurassic Park knock-off with a bigger budget than usual, it would be this. I really missed having a character I could care about, like Dr. Grant or Dr. Sattler or Ian Malcom. It easily has the most mean-spirited and sadistic kill of the franchise, too, which I found a little disturbing. It'd be one thing if it was a bad guy getting his comeuppance, like Peter Ludlow in The Lost World, but instead it's just a helpless innocent bystander and I thought it was really overdone. And I lost track of all the obvious product placements. When Chris Pratt hunkered down next to a park display with a window logo for Pandora jewelry prominently framed behind him, I just about burst out laughing.

3. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

My review as it's rather long and rambly (heck the first paragraph is just about my thoughts on the other movies then this one) will be in spoiler tags... happening right below you.

Ah good old Jurassic Park. Unlike some movies I've seen lately that I haven't seen and just heard about what they were about before, I actually do have quite a history with this. See though I didn't see the first movie in theaters I did hear a lot about it as a kid and hear how amazing it is and see video games and merchandise everywhere that I really did want to see it, as it like most youngsters kindled a love of dinosaurs I'd read about. So yeah I actually did wind up watching it on TV about 20+ years back. Had to sit through the end of a seemingly never ending basketball game just to get to it but yeah finally did watch it. I think there are pieces I may of missed that first time but in subsequent servings I did see the entire film and enjoy it. Granted as an 8 year old it went over my head first time around at some points but I still got it for the most part and liked it. Then of course came The Lost World Jurassic Park which I did see with my family in theaters and... didn't like nearly as much. Granted I was 11 then so I probably wouldn't of said I hated it but that one I just remember being really long and tedious to get through at points and not being as exciting and just going on forever. I didn't know it'd go on to be super hated but yeah looking back sans the usual dinosaur action it wasn't really that good. Then there was the 3rd one I also saw in theaters when I was 15 with my friends. That one I remember liking more because it was shorter and honestly had more action. I can see why people would hate it as yeah looking back it's honestly a stupid, foregetable movie who only got made cause of it's ties to the Jurassic Park franchise but it's focus on just running away from Dinosaurs or getting devoured from it at least made me cheer some at it. Of course that was 14 years ago and honestly for awhile Jurassic Park 4 was only something people would talk or mumur about it. Yeah the first was a big hit but that the other two kind of weren't and it's one of those "movies that get tarnished by their sequel" sort of things. However after years upon years of talks they finally got a move on it done by of all things a guy who made some indie film Safety Not Guaranteed. Which yeah seems like an odd choice but as been proven lately does have an odd habit of succeeding. So does it this time around?

Well it's not the best Jurassic Park film, and the weakest Chris Pratt movie I've seen but.... yeah that doesn't mean this was a bad movie. It's just that was pretty good. Not great but pretty good.

Honestly I think what holds this back is the fact that it seems like it's trying to be different from the last movies, yet keep some silmiliar themes. This one it's the whole "we tried to play god way too much just for the sake of profit and of thrills and got tons of people killed" sort of thing. Which yeah was done in the first movie... and kind of the second, and I think the excuse here was more people getting so lax by actual success they didn't realize how quickly a failure or out of control element can happen. I mean seems like this actually takes place years upon years in the future of even the current day compared to when Jurassic Park took place as it seems like there's been a park that's been going for decades without incidient. Since thinking about it at most with how much happened in the last three flicks this one shouldn't even of been going strong for... 10 years to be operating nowadays compared to when it was made. I also don't think they needed to have you know more villainous jerk characters just for the sake of killing them off. I at least get the scientinist Henry Wu's involvement and he had a good scene pointing out "hey these aren't real dinosuars and never were as we always mutated them so they wouldn't look and be like they actually were just for the benefit of the average person. So we're just continuing to do that cause you asked for more thrills." I meant Hoskins who apparently wanted the velociraptors to be brought as soldiers trained to hunt down their enemies. I mean at first you think he's just going to be a military psycho but they actually give a scene talking about his wolf pup that makes you realize he would think that and honestly the movie even backs him somewhat by pointing out "hey I want to do this cause there are dinosaurs now out killing people and they can't be regularly contained so we have to do something drastic" so it felt justified. But I guess they wanted him to be made bad again so he could be killed so he has this scene still trying to pack up the gear to try and make his own version of this plan again after it works and then gets his arm bit off and torn apart by a velociraptor. Seems like the San Andreas thing again: we make this guy a jerk just enough so you want to see him killed even though honestly he isn't even that bad. I guess it makes more sense here as he did have an actual purpose and goal beyond just trying to save himself but... eh just didn't work for me. I also didn't care how they tried to give the two kids their own plot about their parents not getting along... you know why do all the Jurassic Park sequels have one of these stories anyway? In the second movie Ian Malcolm wasn't getting along with his girlfriend and had trouble raising his daughter (and since she and most everyone else sans Henry Wu isn't here there aren't any terriblely stupid scenes of raptors being offed by gymnastics or silly jump scares), and then the third movie had the parents having problems whose kid fell into the island. And here it was the two brothers who were sent on vacation and the younger one Gray talking about how their parents might be getting divorced and wanting to have a family again... really why even have that? Which BTW wasn't resolved at the end as we barely see the parents and hear about them being any closer. Can't it just be that Gray was the super into dinosuars brother and that Zack was one who wasn't getting it at first and looking for trouble and girls but then realized he got over his head and wanted to be there for his brother? Why even raise the point about them possibly having to deal with their parents divorce if that's not even a factor at all? Man even the sequels actually DID something with that unlike this film, for good or for bad. I've heard talks this is going to be part of a new series but... with how this ended how are they going to do that? Dinosaurs going to come back to the surburbs again cause now no way are they ever going to get into a park ever again. Oh also this is the movie of someone asking someone else to move back or not come near them... and that person doing so regardless and never learning their lesson. Seriously that happened at least 10 times in this movie that honestly it felt like they either weren't listening or just didn't care for some odd reason.

Still though that was the sour parts. Honestly I really liked the rest of the movie. The characters were all solid. Chris Pratt though not nearly as charming and hilarious as an Emett or Star Lord did really work as Owen Grady. His intro scene naming all his raptors and actually managing to talk them down honestly was a good way to introduce him and honestly unlike all the other movies, heck even the first one, actually shows just how dangers raptors are while giving a reason WHY the main cast would not end up as their dinner: cause Owen asserted himself as the Alpha enough so they wouldn't turn them into dino food which is really all I need. And I actually quite liked Claire in this movie. At first you think she's just going to be the "super busy business movie just concerned about business and not much else" but even at first they make her likeable enough with her just wanting to take care of the corproration and pointing out it needs to be treated like a business and focus on profit going without being overly obsessed with it. And honestly when she got matched up with Owen going on the search for the kids she became cool. It was actually not only a funny scene but an earnest one of her tearing up and altering her attire somewhat to show her dedication to wanting to save the two boys. I also just have a thing for action woman who still look sort of glammed up and can still be badass and cool. Which honestly Claire was. As yeah she needed Owen's help to track the boys but she never needed really to be specifically saved by him. Heck I think she actually saves him more with shooting off the pterotdacyal that was attacking him and bringing the T-Rex in. Yeah more on that later as that's worth talking about but still going on characters. Again when Zack and Gray were just acting like kids or observers I liked their interaction like when Gray interrupted Zack's failures of flirting or Zack managing to get them out of the bubble and then helping hotwire a car and actually having a logical way of weakning one of the raptors with the whole getting the electric prod working. Heck there were even good moments from the side characters like Masrani who had such a gusto with his helicopter and wanting the dinsoaurs to be properly looked after that you even felt bad when he wound up dying because of alling in a helicopter explosion. I think maybe the first time in one of these movies I remember being sad someone was killed. Actually there was Samuel Jackson in the first but I forgot he died in that as it happened kind of off screen while this it didn't. Though hey at least the actual black guy in this lived with Owen's friend Barry managing to make it and I liked his annoyance at Hoskin's actions. Even the controller guy managed to have a few good scenes pointing out he bought one of the shirts from the original Jurassic Park or trying to put on the moves for one of the other operators but finding out she had a boyfriend. And yeah a good amount of comedy that worked here as well: Masrani frekaing Claire more out with her helicopter or lack there of driving skills, the references to the first movie about why the dinosaurs didn't look the way they did or why the first park was a failure, Owen telling the new guy to watch out and there's a reason why there's an opening for feeding the raptors, How the Super Rex (I know it has another name but screw it for me it's Super Rex) was able to take out and kill the two guys who were after Owen who only saved himself by drecning himself in gas, Jimmy Fallon narrating the bubble and pointing out the special features of it, Owen and Claire reminsicinging about their failed first date, that woman who was looking after the two boys being taken out by pterotydacsl and then that giant water dino (I know it has a name... also know that was sort of dark but that was funny) "Can we stay with you" "I'm never going to leave you again I promise" "Uh I meant more with him" "Yeah we want to stay with him," Owen punching out Hoskins when he saw him, Claire trying to prevent the two from seeing the dino chase but them watching it anyway, "son of a b****" "you shouldn't say B****", "You're boyfriends a badass" and some other assorted lines here and there. Actually yeah Michael24 reminded me I liked all the product placement jokes in the movie because yeah it's clear those are set up like that as jokes as one character even remarks "if you're letting corporate buy you out so much why not let them name the dinosaur." That's suppose to be the entire point unlike in other movie so I found it more amusing then distracting.

But yeah the best stuff as per usual actually had to do with the dinosaurs. I actually really liked getting to see the full on park and actually showing why it actually could of worked having been constructed as it's own thing with the killer whale feeding esque set up with the giant sea dino, the petting zoo, the bubble rail tour, the holograms and various other exhibits. Feels nice knowing that least for awhile Hammond's vision happen. I also liked the design of the new super dinosaur and how they incoperated various differing features from raptor speak, heat camoflague and actually working hands to make it a deadly beast. And the idea of it being a killer whose trying to learn their place in the food chain and not just offing people for food because it has no idea of the world out there was interesting motivation. And there were a lot of great set pieces with it from it managing to take out the group of hunters with ease, set loose all the pterotyacals and them rampaging around and killing people and getting the raptors on it's side for awhile. And yeah that ending battle was great and honestly by far the best in the series. At first it felt nostalgic just seeing the raptors and a rex face off but seeing the full battle between them was better. But then putting the T-Rex in the mix and having that battle the super rex upped the stakes. And then having the raptor and Rex team up against the super rex and that only being taken down by the swimming dinosaur. Man seriously probably worth the movie just for that scene alone.

But despite some character and plot problems the rest was honestly really solid and a really fun time watching and yeah easily the best Jurassic Park movie since the first. Some parts like the climax and some character bits were better but the first is just more memorable and classic and had in a sense a more epic and horror feel. This one tried to be scary but didn't really work but was still a rocking time and well worth being made. In fact I wouldn't mind more sequels if they were around this level of quality. Seriously if there is more do not have a Lost World of Jurassic World quality follow up. That... that wouldn't please anyone. And that's not chaos theory either. That... that would just be fact.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Jean74

Jean74 December to Remember!

Want to see it due to Chris Pratt. As really looking forward to seeing it. As a fan of Steven Spielberg's.

5. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

I liked it, but not as much as I wanted to.

The dinosaur scenes are all great. The climax, especially, was amazing and had me on the edge of my seat. It was good stuff. I also liked the directors social commentary on the state of Hollywood sequels always feeling the need to be bigger and more destructive.

Unfortunately, the writing was a mess, and all the characters were either annoying, bland, underdeveloped, or boring stereotypes. The villain was especially disappointing; how did D'Onofrio go from a multi-layered villain like Fisk to such a cartoony, mustache-twirling lame-o? The kids were also very grating.

Still, it was fun, and the dino action alone is worth a ticket if you're into that. But man, the humans really bring it down.

6. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Went to it this morning (two new movies within 24 hours? I must be crazy!).

This was the best movie since the first one. It was great to finally see Jurassic Park fully realized (sad John Hammond wasn't alive to see it), and is a place I'd want to visit. What I found most interesting is how, despite the magnificent achievement of a theme park with living, breathing dinosaurs, it's not enough, hence the park resorting to gene splicing to create new dinosaurs to attract customers. That's good commentary on how jaded consumers can get, and may even be a subtle dig at the audience ("Another Jurassic Park? Yawn...").

I also enjoyed the villain, not so much for the villain himself, but what he represented. He was convinced dinosaurs could solve the military's problems, and considering our military-industrial complex always looking for new ways to combat the enemy of the moment, this was incredibly relevant. I liked how he kept coming up with new arguments to take over the raptors for his own purposes, in a desperate attempt to convince Owen to go along with his plans.

Basically I loved how the movie got back to the "playing God" theme of the first movie, which the second and third (especially the third) lacked.

But of course, the big highlight here were the action scenes, and they delivered. But unlike Mad Max, which just dropped the viewer into everything, in Jurassic World they built everything up first so there was a reason to care about what was happening.

Other stuff was fun: The fact that the old Jurassic Park was abandoned, the appearance of the T-Rex in the climax, and the raptor training which was far-fetched but not to the point of being preposterous.

My only real complaint was the product placement, which was pretty blatant. They even had a cameo from Jimmy Fallon in there!... because hey, he got the Tonight Show last year! Otherwise, this was a lot of fun. If you were disappointed in Lost World and JP3, give Jurassic World a shot.

7. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

A more detailed review, now that I've had the time to collect the rest of my thoughts.

Basically awful. This is essentially Jurassic Park filtered down to the level of bargain basement generic summer action movie. It fails to create any sense of magic or awe the way the original film did, or even the previous sequels, instead trading them in for adrenalized dino action with cheap thrills and cardboard fodder. I imagine if mockbuster masters The Asylum ever made a Jurassic Park rip-off with a bigger budget than usual, it would be this.

And it takes for-ev-er to get going! Even though in the original film nothing much happens until nearly 40 minutes in, you still felt a sense of excitement. Most of the movie is build-up until the final act, when it becomes all special effects and almost feels like Michael Bay took over the action. I missed having characters I could care about, like Dr. Grant, Dr. Sattler, Ian Malcolm, Tim and Lex. The characters here are either so badly acted (Bryce Dallas Howard being one of the worst offenders) or badly written that I just didn't care about any of them. Well, the younger brother was cool. He was actually excited and having fun. I liked him.

I know that in these kinds of movies there are going to be innocent characters who bite it, but one kill here is the most mean-spirited and sadistic of the whole series. It would be one thing if it was a villain getting his comeuppance, but instead it's a helpless innocent bystander, and that the film seems to delight in showing her agonizing death I found more than a little disturbing. I also lost track of the product placements. When Chris Pratt hunkered down near a window with a logo for Pandora jewelry prominently framed behind him, I just about burst out laughing. Worse still, it dumbs down the raptors (the most fearsome dinos of the series, even more than the T-rex) to little more than pets who obey commands. The movie tries to make us care about them the way we would a beloved family pet. People in the audience were actually "aww"ing when they got injured or killed! You're not supposed to look upon raptors with affection. You're supposed to be scared you-know-what-less of them.

To top it all off, the big climactic showdown was lame and, as others have pointed out, almost crossed the line toward ripping off last year's Godzilla. As enjoyable as the previous three films were, this one marks a huge drop-off for the series. Although my expectations were low, I didn't expect it to be quite so bad with Steven Spielberg's name attached. It's probably a good idea not to entrust your multimillion dollar summer tent pole to a relatively inexperienced director with only an indie comedy to his name.

8. Tohya

Tohya deficit omne quod nasciture

The...uh....180 million dollar opening it's probably going to make and the rather favorable reviews unfortunately suggest that it was a good idea. Sorry dude.

9. jfoley85

jfoley85 Member

I'd still like to see it but I'll wait until it premieres on TV. May Rent it.

10. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, it's just my opinion on the movie's quality. Besides, everybody knows that movie audiences can easily fall for anything, regardless if it's actually good or not. Transformers movies any one?

11. Hanshotfirst1138

Hanshotfirst1138 Morphinomenal!

Watch what you say about the Transformers movies now. You might start sounding like me ;).

"Well, I ain't got no one sleeping with me, and you ain't got nowhere that you need to be, well maybe I love you, but maybe I'm just kind of bored. Well, it is what it is, till it ain't anymore."
    Kacey Musgraves

This kind of was what it was. Dumb summer fun, an old-style monster movie with the best special effects modern technology can buy. The final 30 minutes were basically what everyone was hoping that Gareth Edwards' Godzilla would be, I think. Most of the dialogue was about as awkward as two virgins having sex, but it was all about dino action, not character development, and dino action we got. Trevorrow doesn't have Spielberg's sense of style or suspense for action sequences and is really frantic, but hey, dinos vs. dinos? That's cool. The whole enterprise is hilariously silly-raptors who're good guys? But the movie has the sense to know that. In the end, it's totally disposable and forgettable.

And Vincent Donofrio gets eaten like Paul Reiser did.

I was kind of disappointed with the design for the I-Rex. It just looked like a bigger dinosaur, basically, the fact that it had all of those genetic modifications should've made it look like something from Tsuburaya-land.

"Well someone has to stay behind."
    When they're evacuating the island, no, no one has to stay behind. The only reason you stayed behind was to be the one to open the gate.

The gasoline being there after 23 years was dumb, but hey, everything in this movie was stupid. Screenwriting was clearly not the top consideration, the top consideration was dinosaurs fighting each other.

Do they not have an override switch for the rolling ball things?

This whole franchise is a one-trick pony. It's "dinosaurs get loose, eat people, and smash stuff." That's pretty much it.

It was a mess of story elements glued around the set pieces.

The box office 1990s nostalgia is officially in full swing judging by the box office of this. Now can I get revivals of SWAT Kats and Pirates of Dark Water? A conclusion for Samurai Jack? Know what the ending for Reboot was supposed to be?

Bryce Dallas Howard is basically written as "Tightly wound career woman who desperately needs to get laid. My inner feminist rankles at the notion that a powerful career woman needs sex and handsome guy to loosen her up. She was literally shedding clothing as the movie went along. She was eye candy for the guys, Pratt was a eye candy for the girls, and both characters had the thematic depth of cartoon characters. Pratt is a handsome man, I'm not going to lie.

Every flick this summer has an uphill battle to beat Fury Road. That was a better action flick than pretty much anything else, a flat out masterpiece. San Andreas was like watching paint dry. Tomorrowland was at least ambitious, if a colossal misfire. Age of Ultron was overstuffed and undercooked.

The whole "family" subplot was entirely pointless. Judy Greer basically called her sister and said "I love you, our mom died." None of it actually led anywhere. The human drama, such as it was, was filler to get to the next scene of dinosaurs fighting dinosaurs, dinosaurs eating people, or dinosaurs fighting people with guns.

12. Tohya

Tohya deficit omne quod nasciture

That wasn't my point though, I simply expressed the irony of your closing sentence. There's you expressing how it was a bad idea to entrust the franchise to an unknown and then theres the fact it just made half a billion in one weekend. It's just hilarious...thats all.

And real quick, about your review. This was hands down the best sequel of the franchise, even if you take into account that this is basically a SyFy film with a 200 million dollar budget. Because.....come on...lets be honest, both the Lost World and JP 3 were absolute garbage and not to mention glaring stains on the franchise. It amazing me that you think THIS movie was a drop off for the franchise. Dude, like the franchise was already at the bottom, at least this film made the dinosaurs cool again. And at least it was fun. I'd rather see Chris Pratt riding with his raptor bros thru the jungle to hunt down a murderous dinosaur than have to watch raptors do a Benny Hill routine like they did in Lost World. And yeah sure, the ending was reminiscent of last years Godzilla fight but its not the first time we've gotten a Godzilla inspired climax (T-Rex rampaging thru San Diego says hi).

I'm not trying to say your opinion is wrong, I just find it humorous since I think you have a rather interesting idea of what a "good" film is.

#12 Tohya, Jun 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2015
  13. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

I still contend that JP3 was not that bad (its goal was simply to be a 90-minute action thriller and it succeeded on those terms), but if anything, that was a more unnecessary sequel than JW was. World brought the series full circle: We had a guy who wanted to make a theme park of dinosaurs, and in this film it finally came to pass.

This is a strange criticism. What did you want her to do: Wear that business suit the entire movie? I will say that it was illogical that she kept the high heels on for as long as she did, but otherwise I had no issue with her wardrobe.

As for Claire's characterization, I didn't see an issue there either. Claire was a career-driven workaholic who didn't even know her nephews' ages, and was driven by guilt to rescue them when she realized they were in danger. She was also driven to redeem herself after her attitude in the first half of the movie, when she was more concerned with profits than ethics. It wasn't super deep or groundbreaking, but it worked for the purposes of the story and gave motivations to want her to survive.

14. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Uncreative Hack

Old Jurassic Park Characters: Grumpy underwritten blowholes who yell at each other and spew technobabble bs about genetic code and supply-side economics, plus stupid kids ...and Ian Malcolm (thanks to Jeff Goldblum entirely)

NEW Jurassic World Characters: Grumpy underwritten blowholes who yell at each other and spew technobabble bs about genetic code and supply-side economics, plus stupid kids ...and Owen Grady.

Yeah don't complain about how Michael Chrichton's knack for creating bland loathsome ciphers who are just there to spew his partical physics philosophy somehow made characters more likable than the new ones, because they weren't.

15. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

From the folks at Marvel Studios.

[​IMG]

16. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Wow, that's really cool.

Poor Thor, though. It hasn't been an easy year for him...

Looks like Hulk wants to pick a fight with the T-rex.

17. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Well-Known Member

I loved the movie.
    I think my only complaints were the kids were a little annoying (was I the only one who hoped they were killed in the sphere?) and the dinosaur gene-splicing with other animals to shut the Palentologists up. And I couldn't help but feel sorry for Claire's secretary.
    I loved both both the first and second Jurassic Parks, while the third one was had so many plot-holes it was inexcusable. This one was worthy of the franchise and the ending with the T-Rex and Velociraptor working together was the exact opposite of the first movie's ending it was poetic.
    The I-Rex's camouflage was unexpected and was likely taken out of the first Jurassic Park novel in which Carnotaurus had the ability to camouflage, which the I-Rex had DNA from. The Raptor being blown up is in the first novel too as well I-Rex inheriting the novel Raptor's enjoyment of killing.
    Henry Wu being taken away with a bunch of embryos sets up for another sequel, but I think the franchise needs to do away with the kid characters because while it wasn't bad in the first film, the kids in the other films just seemed to be there just to add kid characters and just end up in the way.

18. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

Predictions before seeing movie: (correct/actual prediction in bold)

OWEN GRADY, Chris Pratt - lives
    CLAIRE DEARING, Bryce Dallas Howard - lives
    CLAIRE'S NEPHEWS - lives
    SIMON MASRAN,I Irrfan Khan - dies
    VIC HOSKINS, Vincent D'Onofrio - dies
    DR HENRY WU, BD Wong - 60/40 60- dies 40- lives (BUT... maybe MIA)
    BARRY, Omar Sy - dies

Only 2 predictions wrong. I said dead for Barry because he's a RAPTOR trainer. I really didn't know what to think regarding Dr Wu, which is why I did specific odds for him going into it. I was convinced he was dead in his first scene. I was convinced he was dead in his second scene. I was convinced his escape helicopter would crash somehow. Dr Wu lives! Why? So they can explain the...... *sigh*.... Sequel.

I also predicted the raptors would only pretend to be trained, and when the time was right, turn on the humans. Your call if this prediction was true or not, if partially true is not acceptable.

"And before you even knew what you had, you patented it. And packaged it. And slapped it on a plastic lunch box, and your selling! You want to sell it!!!!"
    - Dr Ian Malcolm on the Jurassic Park film franchise
    I've been saying for months now, "What is the point of this movie???!!". Aside to make money of course (see above quote). Why would anyone go to this theme park? Why and how would the rest of the world let this theme park be open? The film clearly acknowledges at least the first film, and the deaths in that movie. So obviously it's public knowledge, so again, WHY would anyone go to this theme park? I'm sorry, I have no sympathy what so ever for anyone that dies at Jurassic World. They knew the risks going into it.

Actually, I love how the reference to the first film uses the word distasteful because of the characters who died in it. How is anything going on in Jurassic World not distasteful?

On a more real life sense, how is it that a movie with this plot/story got made. EVERYTHING we get warned about in the first movie HAPPENS! How can you make this movie have a plot/story where it's "they were right all those years ago"? They were right in ALL films before it, but at least that wasn't as blatantly bad or obvious as it is here. And in those movies they each had something different plot/story or maybe most importantly message wise (ok, maybe there's no message in the 3rd one). What is the message here in Jurassic World? NONE. Except they were right about what they said in Jurassic Park.

"Your scientists were preoccupied with whether or not that they could, they never stopped to think if they should!"
    - Dr Ian Malcolm on the development and production of Jurassic World, and the T Rex/Raptor dinosaur.
    Jurassic Park = $$$$$$$$$$$ There's no denying that. Just as Malcolm explains, they were preoccupied with that they could make a new installment, they never stopped to think if they should. Was there a reason why maybe a 4th installment was in development hell all these years, or a reason all we got was assorted rumors based on nothing all these years? Maybe they were thinking of a message for the film like the first and second did. Maybe they thought there were no more messages about man and nature they could tell. Maybe they thought that because the events in the first two films are public knowledge, people would know to never go to the island again. Let alone attempt to open up a theme park.

Years ago I recall a rumor that the 4th movie would be about the grand kids, who have to go back to Site B because a disease that killed off the dinosaurs was brought back, threatening humans, and went back to get what they need to make a cure. Ok, there might not be a man/nature message there, but at least there would be a LEGIT POINT to go back. Other than because its a fully functional park, or a character got tricked to go back.

On the T Rex/Raptor thing. We've all seen that the "regular" dinosaurs can't be controlled. Why would anyone think that this man made abomination was no different or worse than a "regular" dinosaur that clearly can not be controlled.

"The lack of humility before nature that's being displayed here, um... staggers me."
    - Dr Ian Malcolm on the attractions in Jurassic World
    Probably the thing I saw here that shocked me the most was the petting zoo/baby Triceratops rides. Seriously???! The real life equivalent in zoo's all over are most likely just as bad, the difference is that the ignorance or irresponsibility that is so openly displayed is just too much to comprehend. What makes this worse to me than the real life equivalent, is that man has already gone against all the laws of nature, these attractions in the park just make it even worse.

Speaking of irresponsibility. No surprise, it's all about the $$$$$$ which is why all the people are in charge are hesitant to take action early that will save lives because (god forbid) they'll lose money. You deserve to lose money if you haven't learned anything in the first movie. They seriously had no back up plans what so ever if anything went wrong? No indoor bunkers? No barred windows in the hotel rooms or secured plating that could easily be installed on hotel room windows/doors? If there is an emergency, safely and calmly proceed to your room, lock up, and wait. Is that so hard? And how about having evacuation boats on stand by just in case? All these precautions might look bad, but you know what also looks bad? Everything that happens in this movie.

How could money even be an issue? A theme park with dinosaurs can't make money? I can't believe that, no matter how old the attractions could be, or many times everyone has seen the same dinosaurs. Or maybe attendance was down because the economy is bad and I bet it costs a fortune to just travel to the island. And more of a fortune to stay there. And pay for over priced concessions. And pay for Wi-Fi. Etc. If they wanted attendance to spike, maybe they should have had a coupon day. Or something.

Seriously, has anyone learned ANYTHING from the previous movies, at the least the FIRST ONE? Well, yes of course, it would be the people who survived in the first film. They learned their lesson, and knew not to get involved in any of this nonsense. Which is EXACTLY why they aren't in this film.

"The world is just changed so radically and we're all running to catch up. I don't want to jump to any conclusions, but look, dinosaurs and man. Two species separated by 65 million years of evolution just been suddenly thrown back in the mix together. How could we possibly have the slightest idea of what to expect?
    - Dr Alan Grant on the finished product of Jurassic World
    What to expect? Well, I wasn't expecting the return of InGen. How is this company still in business? Even if they just got bought out, why would the new owner keep it's name? Again, first film, public knowledge, the company name is tainted. Why would a totally different person take on the task of making a new theme park. Yeah, to honor John Hammond's wishes. Lol. That's not true. In the FIRST FILM Hammond learns his lesson. It didn't work the first time, so why would this be a smart business endeavor? It always is at first, and well, um. There it is.

I also wasn't expecting a Jurassic Park movie that could easily be applied and mentioned with Transformers. Look, I was entertained by both Jurassic World and ALL the live action Transformers movies, but I know a Transformers movie when I see one (or when to use that analogy), and this is a Transformers movie.

"I'm simply saying that life, uh, finds a way."
    - Dr Ian Malcolm on how the Jurassic Park franchise endures despite it's ups and downs.
    Most surprising as I wrote this up. All my questions, gripes, rants, etc go back to the first movie. I reference the others here and there, but if the movie is a partial reboot where the 2nd and 3rd films aren't in the continuity (but I believe they are), it still fails in the sense of logic, common sense, not learning anything, man/nature, because the first movie is still there. The Lost World was better than this. It did something different, served (somewhat) a point, and had a message for man/nature. This does something different (open theme park), yet serves no point and has no message at all for man to learn about nature. Man obviously hasn't learned anything, and never will.

I knew this would make money. But I don't think anyone would have thought it would make what it already did and will. It's pretty obvious at this point there will be a sequel. And will there be a point to that one? Or a message that will be tied into the plot/story? Most likely not. At this point, the only thing in terms of a story/plot that would make sense, or serve a point, would be if our heroes (whoever they may be) nuke all the islands, but the evil villains who see $$$$$$ try to stop them. I can't think of anything else for a sequel that would make sense. Or serve a purpose. Actually, this makes sense and serves a purpose too. How about dinosaurs finally reclaim the earth and wipe out humanity? Man will finally learn his lesson, but pays the ultimate price to learn it. Or how about they clone Samuel L Jackson to take down the dinosaurs (because I assume if the technology exists to clone dinosaurs, it would be easier to clone humans). Seriously, I would be all in for that movie. Only because he'll say "Hold on to your butts.". Please. Please. Please, don't have the sequel be the militarized dinosaurs.

Look, I knew this would be entertaining, and it was. Suspending disbelief in what your seeing is one thing. Suspending basic common sense in what your seeing is completely different, and impossible.

"You read what others had done (Michael Crichton) and you took the next step. You didn't earn the knowledge for yourselves, so you don't take any responsibility......for it. You stood on the shoulders of geniuses (Steven Spielberg), uh, to accomplish something as fast as you could."
    - Dr Ian Malcolm on Jurassic World director Colin Trevorrow and Universal Pictures​

#18 rggkjg1, Jun 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
  19. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Well-Known Member

You want a message? Here's a few.
    When Technology continues to grow, so does the Human ego. With the high-tech the new park had they probably got the approval for the park being safe enough.
    As long as money is the answer to problems, people will continue to do stupid things. This most likely helped Simon Masrani on the approval on the island too. Even in the real world money helps the super rich get what they want and away with whatever they want. Would cigarettes be legal if the companies didn't pay off politicians? Because they certainly don't just affect just the smokers that's for sure.
    And look at today's celebrity's and how they use their money getting away accidents that should've gotten them in jail for many years, the plastic surgeries, etc. If one has the money they are gonna think they can get away with anything.
    At least the new park took HUGE precautions and lasted over a decade before taking the stupid risk of creating a new dinosaur.
    And while Simon Masrani might've wanted a new dino it was Vic Hoskins who used that opportunity to have a living weapon created too. and even in real life the military do have weapons that are a extremely high-risk that will cause countless lives to be lost if used in the wrong way. We are destroying this planet because of our own greed for money so the island park being built anyway isn't that far off especially when people think "I learned my lesson and will try better this time" excuse.

And this movie isn't a partial reboot because Vic Hoskins was hired by Simon after Vic took care of the Pteranodons that got loose after the third movie (though I wished that one film never happened).
    I've heard the next movies will get away from the island, and while that does sound like a nice change of scenery I would like to see a plot where on the island people have find a way off and deal with other dinosaurs without the specific smart evil ones (The Big Raptor,Spinosaurus,Idominus Rex) and show more plant eaters causing trouble (or not) too.

20. Mister Mayhem

Mister Mayhem Banned

Comates,

Overall it was decent popcorn film but I was expecting so much more. Kinda how I felt about last years godzilla. The two brothers were annoying at times and were there just to be the main people in need of rescuing. Never really liked when everyone in a disaster movie except for lead, their love interest and family are nothing more than cannon fodder. They kept making a big deal about that guy being able to fly a helicopter like it was so humorous and unexpected for a person like him to be doing such a thing. What even made it worse was the way he was killed. Chris Pratt's character wasn't as badass as they portrayed him to be and ultimately felt like a useless protagonist after seeing how many people died in the end. The cg was good but at the same time no scene truly wowed me.

The best thing I can say about it was that the cringeworthy moments were kept to a minimum and I got a few chuckles. Also, it beat the overrated avengers for #1 movie opening so that's cool.